IMDb > 200 Cigarettes (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
200 Cigarettes

200 Cigarettes More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 19:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Ultimate '80s party flick!!!

Author: PeachHamBeach from Morro Bay, Hammett Valley, Twin Rocks
29 March 2004

I really love party movies, really mindless, fun party movies w/good music, bright, outlandish fashions and hilarious memorable characters. The entire cast was laugh out loud funny, from Dave Chapelle as the jive talkin' disco cabbie to Martha Plimpton's howl of a distraught party hostess. Paul Rudd was exceptionally great as Kevin the dumpee who is all grouchy and depressed, and so was Angela Featherstone as Caitlyn the poser. Ben Affleck was good as the bartender, mainly because he didn't talk much. Brother Casey was very cute as a punk/roadie who befriends the two underage partyers played by Christina Ricci and Gaby Hoffman. Courtney Love was really good as Lucy. I always love Jeaneane Garafalo and she didn't disappoint here as Ellie. I really didn't get why Guillermo Diaz got more exposure, like on the DVD cover art, than characters who were much more memorable, like Hillary played by Catherine Kellner (hilariously ditzy), Bridget, played by the very pretty and funny Nicole Parker, and the lousy lover Scotsman Eric, played by Brian McCardie. Jay Mohr and Kate Hudson were also very lovable as Jack and Cindy. Lots of good music by the Commodores, the Cars, Bow Wow Wow, Blondie, Rick James and many more. A great film to revisit the outrageous Reagan era!!!

a great little movie

Author: jimmyplm from Chapel Hill, NC
21 March 1999

I thought this movie was very entertaining. I loved every minute of it. I love nostalgic movies about the 1980's, and this is one of the better ones to come out recently. Courtney Love stood out as the best actress in the movie; she definitely stole the show. I only had one complaint, there were lots of high quality stars, but not enough time devoted to each individual one. Go out and see this one. It is worth the time! :-)

There are good parts, and there are bad parts....

Author: Meredith-7 from Melbourne, Australia
2 January 2000

The main reason I saw this film was because of the cast- it has a great line up of young talent, some who are fairly new and some that have been around for ages. The film itself is fairly incoherent in places, with many storylines running at the one time. I thought Kate Hudson was fantastic in her first main role, and Paul Rudd was good as always. Gaby Hoffman probably put in the most irritating performance of her career to date, while Ben Affleck didnt really have much to do. The story itself is pretty simplistic, focusing on new years eve where a bunch of people are slowly making their way to a party hosted by Martha Plimpton's character. Only a few of the characters have any real depth to them, with many just skimming the surface, thus remaining shallow like most of the dialogue in the film. There are some scenes that work, others that don't - a real hit and miss - if you like the actors in it- then watch it- if you don't, then stay well clear.

Stellar ensemble vehicle

Author: mitch-23 from sofia
3 January 2010

this is one of my all-time favorite movies; as evidenced by my review history, I am not a compulsive reviewer, but decided that if one more movie deserves my shout-out it is this low-profile and vastly underrated effort so I dredged up my registration information which I hadn't used in years; I remember stumbling upon the movie at my local home video rental store nine years ago; I immediately fell in love with this star-jammed vehicle that effortlessly manages to be stridently observant and yet retain a light and joyfully irrelevant touch; some of the reviewers complain that its crowded story-lines don't allow for fully-fledged characters but fail to see that it's one of the successful wink-wink aspects of the movie: most of the protagonists ARE fully-fledged, it's just that there just so much to their character! They are either shallow/vapid people or one-track minds desperate to score before the last hours of the old year ring out; both types can be sketched with a few confident strokes! for instance, just listening in on the bathroom conversation of Caitlin and Bridget you get all the insight into their character that you need to know perfectly well where they come from and what is their motivation; come on, given the lightweight subject matter I don't see how you can expect a 162-minute English patient-calibre backstory; you might ask then why waste time on a movie about shallow people or people obsessed with hosting the perfect party? because shallow plus zero self-awareness plus NYC art-scene types equals funny; being so caught up in party dip and New Year's decoration that it leads up to existential drama and queasiness is also hilarious in my book; and 200 cigarettes serves up just that sort of delightful cinematic entertainment; not to mention that it has one of my all-time favorite one-liners: "I DARE you to f*** me!"

Great fun, great movie!

Author: buff-18 from Wisconsin, USA
13 March 2000

I was skeptical as I sat down to watch 200 cigarettes earlier tonite. I was prepared for the worst. At least I knew I'd get to look at Christina Ricci. But this movie surprised me and left me with a sense of fulfillment for having watched it. I did not waste my time after all!

The story takes place on New Year's Eve 1981 and incorporates 3 storylines into one. All the characters are tied together in one way or another and the movie centralizes around the New Year's Eve party and a woman's apartment (which no one shows up at until she's drunk and passed out).

This tale of sex, booze, and cigarettes showed the ridiculousness of these things and made us laugh at the same time. Despite the party being the central theme of the movie...we do not get to see it at all. This leaves a lot to the imagination. The movie was shot so that it alternated between characters and storylines but intertwined them beautifully. Every member of the star studded cast put in a great performance and this movie was truly well done. I enjoyed it very much and give it a 9 out of 10. If you're not offended easily...go out and rent this movie today!

1982 is going to be like the best year ever.

Author: Pepper Anne from Orlando, Florida
5 April 2004

I love this movie. Plain and simple, I thought everyone in it did a good job being a giant bunch of twenty-something city kooks, each involved in their own various attempts to find a date, culminating in a New Year's Eve party to ring in 1982.

The movie has whole slew of great comedians -- Paul Rudd as Kevin, the depressed and readily available friend of happy-go-lucky Lucy (Courtney Love) who goes out of her way to cheer up her friend after being dumped by long-time girlfriend, Ellie (Janeane Garafolo), the artsy fartsy type. Caitlyn (Angela Featherstone) Bridget search out dates after dumping Scotsman Eric following news that her lumberjack boyfriend was suddenly discovered alive and well. Dave Chepelle plays the raddest cab driver as he tries to get his passengers to just ease up, toke up, and go nuts...because it's New Years.

But no one is funnier than Martha Plimpton, who plays the paranoid host of the party, and the two party hopefuls played by Christina Ricci and Gabby Hoffman, who wander as far as the notorious "Avenue B" to find Val's cousin's party.

Unfortunately, the night is accompanied by top 40s 80s music, but it doesn't matter. The situations in the movie are so hilarious, it sure it a funky movie.

Smokers' Breath

Author: tedg (tedg@filmsfolded.com) from Virginia Beach
18 December 2001

Spoilers herein.

At first, I saw this picture as representing what it really was: a collection of aspiring (but generally second-string) actresses looking to be involved in a sleeper, intelligent independent film. The metaphor of a buncho sex-starved girls looking for a party was especially apt. The `boys' each represent an indie consequence: it could take a modest talent to great heights (Ben Affleck), or be a casual hoot (the black cabbie) or various shades in between. If they don't hook up here, they are cursed for a year, I guess until the next possibility of an intelligent film.

I came to this because Garofalo's name was on it, but you get only the faintest scent of her here. Musky, old but pleasant. And then it dawned on me, this is Elvis Costello's star vehicle!

MTV has a theory of homeopathic presence: the less one appears in an ensemble, the stronger the impact. Elvis makes NO appearance whatsoever in the moving picture part of this project (except his name and glasses), only seen in a coda of stills. And they are not of the party we saw (this dreary picture), but the party we missed (the mythical film that really was a life altering experience).

Disappointing

Author: perfectbond
10 January 2004

This movie tried to provide insightful revelations into human relations through humor. I know humor is subjective but I found the film to be only intermittently funny. I think the film could could've been better had they trimmed some of the characters. There are many big names in this film but they all receive only scant screen time. There are better offerings out there, 6/10.

Exceptional, You May Love this Movie

Author: shuba (jourdan.marcel@ammobile.com) from Washington D.C
11 March 2000

I'm 37, so I'm about the same age of the people in this period. I had heard bad commentary on this movie and granted my expectations were lowered. Yes, the characters are shallow to a large degree, and the person I watched with got quite bored with this dialoge driven comedy. That being said, it has been a great while since I enjoyed a comedy as much as this. Like an Arthur Hailey novel you constantly bounce around to 5 or 6 parties and their very different issues. I could relate in alot of ways; please remember this is a couple years before the Aids crisis. I never found it to be dull, indeed I was draw in by the characters as things went along. I think what bothered many who've commented on the movie, is you are lead to believe everyone will be meeting at the 'Party'. Have patience; remember the film is about the people, not the party. The end of the movie was probably the best part. If you're intriged by what I've described here, definitly make this a Must-See"

Dave Chappelle

Author: Erich M (enmussak@yahoo.com) from Madison, WI USA
16 December 2002

Mr. Chappelle stands out as usual. Otherwise nothing is really that incredible about this flick. It is one of a couple dozen that come and go in the same fashion every year. I did like the line though, "you're not ugly, you know I don't have ugly people as friends." Mediocre and passable.

Page 1 of 19:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]