Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer: The Movie

Cute movie

Author: bohemiaisntdead from United States
5 June 2006

I thought this movie was very adorable, and I'm surprised it didn't get more recognition. It's nice seeing so many famous actors doing a kids' movie together. Especially Eric Idle doing the voice of the fox with an American accent- he's truly delightful...I could barely tell it was him! OK, so it was a tad cheesy, but what's a feel-good family movie without a bit of cheese thrown in? I haven't seen it in a while, but I remember loving the voice of the younger Rudolph. I'm surprised he hasn't gotten more roles, or more of a bio on IMDb! So, if you've got kids, or you just want to giggle at how cute/corny it is, rent it or buy it. Sure, it's not a classic like the one with the Abominable Snowman, Yukon Cornelius or Hermy the elf, but it's just as delightful.

Nothing wrong with this film

Author: jesuit25 from United Kingdom
27 December 2004

Strangely, I found this movie quite good. It fills you with a sense of Christmas and there's nothing wrong with sitting down and watching this before you open your presents. A nice little kids movie which appealed to me quite a bit. This year I was feeling a bit bah humbug, but this warmed my heart. The plot is good, sticking to the original idea while skewing away in places, but it remains a nice honest film which everyone can watch. The acting is above average IMO, and Leonard the Bear is my favourite character. A story of the underdog rising up is always great, and this delivers just like it's predessor. Especially fitting for a nice Christmas Day morning. There were some questions left unanswered, however, such as how do the reindeer's fly? But all in all, this is a worthy Christmas tale, telling a story about everyone's favourite reindeer. It is just a shame that this will forever be compared with the original. This is the way great films are ignored and this movie is getting bad feedback because 'it does not live up to the original'. This film is still great, however little can see it's potential. Sad.

Great Christmas Classic for Everyone!

Author: Andrew (trueguy143@aol.com) from Atlanta, GA
2 May 1999

An instant Christmas classic! Great cast (voices) and decent animation make this a family classic for any Christmas occasion. Considering the fact that this film isn't Disney, it belongs in the category of excellent animated films. On a Friday afternoon of September 1998, I came across "Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer : The Movie" opening today in limited release. Fortunately my movie theater was playing it and with a cast including Whoopi Goldberg, Bob Newhart, Sarah Jessica Parker, Debbie Reynolds, & John Goodman, I couldn't resist. Why Legacy Releasing opened a Christmas movie in the fall I'll never know, but if you haven't seen it with your kids, get it this Christmas season. Soundtrack includes a special musical performance of "A Wonderful Christmas Time" by Paul and Linda McCartney. Now on video from Goodtimes Entertainment.

Rudolph finds himself in odds with others around him.

Author: musangl from United States
22 November 2006

I liked this movie and thought that it was great even for adults. I didn't find the music distracting from the overall message of the film. The wonderful fact that it teaches courage in the face of insecurity is one that is lost in a lot of movies that are made today. It also teaches that we do not have to be the same as everyone else around us. We can be different and even if we get teased about it we can find solace in ourselves in the fact that we are the way we are because that is the way that we were made and we are each special and unique. I found it a joy watching it by myself for the first time and again watching it with my 4-year-old nephew. It is one that I am glad that I bought and will watch many times over the holidays.

Author: video kid from New Zealand
23 March 2007

If you do not like this see your doctor immediately your heart has turned to coal.

It is instant Christmas classic! Great cast (voices)(though I wouldn't give it a grade A for animation but hey, that my opinion) make this a family classic for any Christmas occasion. Considering the fact that this film isn't Disney, it belongs in the category of excellent animated films. On a Friday afternoon of September 1998, I came across "Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer : The Movie" opening today in limited release. Fortunately my movie theater was playing it and with a cast including Whoopi Goldberg, Bob Newhart, Sarah Jessica Parker, Debbie Reynolds, & John Goodman, I couldn't resist. Why Legacy Releasing opened a Christmas movie in the fall I'll never know, but if you haven't seen it with your kids, get it this Christmas season. Soundtrack includes a special musical performance of "A Wonderful Christmas Time" by Paul and Linda McCartney and show me the light is a very good and sweet song. Now on video from Goodtimes Entertainment.

Though the sprites I think really ruined the movie.

and the romance between Zoey and Rudolph is quiet sweet.

(by the way I hope a remake of it comes and DEATH TO SPRITES)

Good points- * The romance beetween Zoey and Rudolph

* Whoppi Goldberges portrayal of the no-nonsense villain Stormella

* The song "show me the light" one of the only three good songs in the film

* like the fellows comment the second bellow me, It shows being brave in the face of fear and rising above the mockery (i'm teased a lot at school so I know how it feels)

* Some of the humour that some people miss is quiet funny

-Bad points (do not let these ruin the film just fast forward through them)

* the sprites and their singing arrrrrrrrrrrrrgh, ahck DEATH TO SPRITES

* some of Slyly's script was pathetic in the leonard cave incident

* the songs: It could always be worse, santas family and Christmas time are awfully bad

love it =]

Author: are_u_savy1 from United States
29 August 2007

i love love LOVE this movie! I have loved all Rudolph stories, always. But, this one has to be one of my very favorites. It has adorable songs, great animation, and the voices fit great for every part. It is a great Christmas movie, that can be enjoyed all year!! One of the things that I've always liked about this one, is that Rudolph's dad isn't quite as mean as he was in the other ones. You can really see how much he loves him, and I love that. It's how it should be. And it shows that good beats evil =] . The only..off thing for kids in my opinion is the "I Hate Santa Clause" song the witch sings. But other than that..

This is definitely a movie to buy and watch. Have fun!!

Very sweet and above average Christmas movie

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
15 September 2009

Of course it isn't my all time favourite Christmas movie and it isn't as good as the timeless Rankin'/Bass special, but all the same it is very sweet, charming and simple. I for one am disheartened at the 4.8 rating, it is much better than that, of course it isn't perfect, but it is far from the worst animated movie ever. The animation is not too bad, a tad shoddy in places, but fifteen minutes in, the quality got better. I didn't think the songs were awful at all, honestly the songs in Secret Of NIMH 2: Timmy To The Rescue were much worse. In my opinion, they were actually quite cute. One or two of them are forgettable especially the song sung by the elves before Stormella is introduced, but I Hate Santa Claus and Zoey and Rudolph's duet were lovely, and who can resist festive classics like Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer and Wonderful Christmas time. I will admit I was annoyed by the sprites, there were a couple of moments where their presence was pointless. The movie also has some nice messaging, I really did feel for Rudolph(I know exactly what it's like to get bullied because of your nose, I used to get bullied because of my singing voice), a good story, if a little slow to start with and some fairly good dialogue. The real delight is in the very lovable characters and highly talented voice cast. Rudolph and Zoey are adorable, and John Goodman makes a suitably merry Santa Claus. Eric Idle and Bob Newhart positively delight as Slyly and Leonard, and despite her limited screen time, Whoopi Goldberg is very impressive as the villainous Stormella. Overall, a very sweet, simple and underrated Christmas movie. 7/10 Bethany Cox

Looking Back....This movie was rather cute!

Author: cmc4794
3 December 2008

Okay, yes, I'm rather young, but I still remember this movie quite well. When you are little, this movie is SO cute! I remember getting this film for Christmas on VHS and loving it. I still sit down and watch it around Christmas-time whenever my 6-year-old niece comes to visit.

But I don't believe that it should be compared to the 1964 original Rudolph Rankin/Bass Special. There are some things that I like about this movie that I think make it cute, not great, but cute. It's not like it's supposed to be Academy Award material.

I really enjoyed:

-Santa: Santa is so friendly! He has that red scarf...and he sings a happy song while Rudolph hides in the snow. He roots for our red-nosed friend just like we do!

-Slyly: I don't know,he's cheesy and silly, but hey! Live a little!

-The Rudolph/Zoey Romance: To a little girl, the whole mistletoe scene is SO romantic and cute. It makes me blush... Then there's all the songs!

-The Reindeer Games: They are a lot more elaborate. And the reindeer sit like regular people! (I think, I haven't watched this movie in a while...)

Overall,I give this movie a 6/10 because I grew up with it during the holiday season, along with the original Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Frosty the Snowman, Santa Claus is coming to town, etc.

Awesome Movie!!!!!

Author: jemarsh from United States
22 December 2006

This has to be the best Christmas movie I have ever seen! The movie not only made Rudolf a "Lady's Man," but it gave him a girlfriend as well! Zoey, Rudolf's girlfriend, is my favorite character. The movie is funny, romantic, scary, exciting, and all the above! It is great for the whole family to enjoy. I highly recommend it for kids and adults. Even teenagers like me can enjoy it. I am 19 and I love it! For people who like romantic/adventure movies, this is for you! If you ever see this movie in the stores (DVD or VHS), buy it. You are most definitely not waisting your time and money. The person who made this movie did a great job on the animation, sound, and story plot. LOL, some of the synchronization of the voices and the characters are a bit out of sync, but that makes it comical for me! If you look past the little errors, you will enjoy a great Christmas movie, I promise.

Great attempt to beat the original.

Author: alex-caruso1 from Wisconsin
2 November 2012

I have to say, this was good. Not great or excellent, but average-good. Nothing will ever beat the original 1964 Rudolph, but this remake almost did. This remake took everything from the original, and tried to twist into the 90's version of Rudolph. The plot was great, the whole story had a goal to achieve, you knew what the characters were trying to accomplish, everything just had a good purpose that gave this remake a solid flow to it. The songs were amazing. You won't remember them like the one's from the 1964 Rudolph, but the songs used in this remake are just as unforgettable in my opinion. Every other scene has you wondering were the story will take you next, and the climax toward the end will actually give you that feeling whether it's gonna be a happy or bad ending. Overall, this is absolutely worth seeing, and a great remake to the classic 1964 Rudolph.