IMDb > Merry Christmas, George Bailey (1997) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Merry Christmas, George Bailey (TV) More at IMDbPro »

An excellent radio broadcast that elaborates on "It's a Wonderful Life."

Author: AQ Moondebah (moondebah@hotmail.com) from Palacios, Texas
28 December 1998

This is a quirky and unique presentation of "It's a Wonderful Life" done as a live radio brodcast. The excellent acting done by the star studded cast, and even some goof ups because it is filmed live, add to the fun. Possibly the best part was watching the sound effects man in the background doing everything from knocking on doors to pouring out buckets of water.

BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF MY YEARS IN BROADCASTING

Author: JohnnyReb (opomeroy@msn.com) from United States
6 October 2002

If I did not know I was watching a recreation of Lux Radio Theater's 1949 presentation of It's A Wonderful Life, I would swear I was in a radio studio watching the real thing. With Earlhorn making it sound real with his Sound Effects, and the full orchestra to set the mood with music it was just as I remembered during that Golden Age Of Radio. I hope PBS will repeat this broadcast this Christmas for those who missed it, and those who may be discovering Old Time Radio for the very first time.

JohnnyReb

I Remember This!

Author: cougarita2000 from Orange County, California
26 December 2002

Always a fan of "It's a Wonderful Life," I remember stumbling across this a few years ago. It was a well-done rendition of the classic, presented in radio style. In other words, it wasn't acted out visually, but rather was performed as though it was hitting the air waves for Christmas 1947. Very cool! The performances were great, too. Of course, Bill Pullman isn't James Stewart, but who is? No one can compare to Jimmy in the role of George Bailey, but Pullman does a decent job. If only there were some way to purchase the show on CD! It's like something you'd see advertised on public television, and the recording would be perfect to stick in the car during the holidays. Catch it if you can!!!

An excellent re-creation of "It's a Wonderful Life"

Author: biartwo from New Jersey, USA
25 December 2002

I love this production, especially the very end. It's a daunting task, to re-create one of the greatest movies of all time, but the cast and crew of "Merry Christmas George Bailey" do it beautifully. This is now one of my annual Christmas standards, along with "It's a Wonderful Life" and "A Christmas Story."