IMDb > Supernova (2000/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Supernova

Supernova More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 28: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

THE worst movie of all time.

Author: astroraptor from Sudbury, Ontario, hmm, I wonder.
20 April 2001

This is by far the worst movie EVER made. It has bad special effects (and the previews said that it had better FX than The Matrix :P), screwed up plot, and sex seems to be the only thing holding this film together. One last thing... Supernova? What supernova?

Supernova Super Sucked

Author: Elfie-5 from NH
4 April 2001

Man, this is still considered a better 00' space movie than Battlefield Earth? Wow. I don't think I'll ever see Battlefield Earth then! You know a movie is bad when you don't care that cast members are getting murdered. I was hoping it'd have a daring ending, and have the entire cast killed off before the end, but I guess that was too much to wish for. As my kid brother put it, " One night, while I was sleeping, my @$$ snuck over to the computer and wrote a better screenplay than this." Without a doubt this is Robin Tunney's worst movie. I don't watch many movies set in space, yet I must have seen everyone of them that this movie borrowed from, because I knew what was going to happen next the entire movie. The only bright spot is that Peter Facinelli looks much better in this than anything else I've seen him in.

A really interesting and enjoyable sci-fi adventure

Author: Martin^5 from Sweden
27 February 2001

I rented this one on a whim and I am glad I did. The actors are doing a great job (James Spader is *a lot* better than in Stargate), the setting is great and the story works great, despite the re-editing.

The movie steers clear from tried and true ways of handling space travel and other clichés without becoming to unbelievable and strained. I like the ending of the released version (I haven't seen the DVD version yet which has an alternate ending) and on the whole the movie doesn't become to cute or predictable.

All in all a good sci-fi adventure that deserves a much higher score than the 4 it's been given here. The movie is quite interesting and exciting although the editing has left one or two rough cuts that makes you think twice but nothing that infers with the enjoyment of the movie.

If you like sci-fi you can do a lot worse than Supernova (although the title is a bit misleading). Mission to mars, Battlefield Earth and Astronauts wife are all *way* lousier than this one.

Stop me if you've heard this one before...

Author: Junker-2 from Wisconsin
18 February 2001

There's really nothing terribly wrong with "Supernova." It has a good cast, led by a strong performance from Angela Bassett. It has some good special effects, good suspense and so on and so on. The only real problem is that the story is a tired, worn out plot and the movie offers us nothing that we haven't seen many times before.

On a mission into deep space, the crew of a ship unwittingly brings a monster on board. One by one the monster kills off most of the crew. Soon it appears there is only one crew member left to try to kill the monster...but...Oh, wait! One of the people you thought was dead isn't really dead, and here he comes back just in time to...

But stop me if you've heard this one before.

And just what was Francis Ford Coppola's connection to "Supernova"? It's all a little strange. It's almost as if the producers started out with very high expectations for this movie, but lost interest part of the way through. What we're left with is okay. Nothing that's going to win any awards, but certainly not a bomb either. I gave it a "6" out of "10."

I loved it...sexy and exciting

Author: Cheryl Jovel (blindbiz@aol.com) from Florida
17 February 2001

Don't try to dissect these sci-fi films too much, just enjoy them. Angela Basset is excellent as the strong leader of the crew. James Spader is fabulous eye-candy for the ladies as the very buff, charming and heroic bad-boy of the crew. C'mon ladies, you loved it when he gave her the raised eyebrows and sweet smile. Who wouldn't love to spend some quality time in a zero-gravity chamber with him? Lots of fun on a Saturday night. I liked it a lot...give it a try.

Not quite as bad as I was expecting, but it still wasn't all that good.

Author: The Dude- from Salem, VA
8 February 2001

Supernova is quite a strange film. My friends and I watched it on DVD and the almost 20 minutes of extra footage show that quite a different film was originally on the planner. The problem with this film is that it's story has been told a million times before and it lacks any real sense of urgency nor excitement.

SPOILERS: The basic plot is yet another rip-off of the plot of Alien. A salvaging crew receives a distress call from a distant mining planet, they go to investigate it and end up picking up an unexpected passenger. The new person naturally isn't what he seems to be, and so on and so on.....

Some of the special-effects are actually quite good (the ship models and the hyperspace) while others fall curiously flat (the ending sequence). All of the actors involved do about as good of a job as they could have with such flimsy and non-developed characters. The plot is also sometimes a bit hard to follow at times. The R-rated DVD version runs 91 minutes, but the film is actually only 83 minutes long with 8 minutes of credits.

Fans of the beautiful Robin Tunney might want to take note that she has a couple of topless scenes during the first 10 minutes that really show off her perky breasts.

Not really as awful as I was anticipating, but it still wallows in mediocrity and will soon be forgotten.

Rating:4

Well same ol' same ol'

Author: stamper from The Netherlands
21 January 2001

This is actually an easy movie to describe. Average with a couple of good moments which make it a bit more than average. There are things though, I must have missed here, cause the version I saw, actually only lasted for 87 minutes (according to the package). Well I guess it was not that important, what was cut out. If you want terror in space, watch something else, watch something that brings INFINITE TERROR, watch Event Horizon. And if you want to see a bad space movie see MISSION TO MARS!!!!

6 out of 10

A review that doesn't give anything away from the film...

Author: nicholas.roberts from Wokingham, England
17 January 2001

Enough with the chit chat lets dive right into the review... Oh I really liked Supernova very very good for a Sc~Fi film I take it you know that it stars James Spader (Good Actor in my opinion) and Angella Basset and if not you do now. I shall not explain the film as this will spoil the whole thing... Well the film is set within space in about 150 years time if my memory serves me right and Nick played by James Spader is a new arrival on the ship. Now there are some very good twists and plenty of them in this film, although if you are incredibly awake you can spot them just before they are reveiled so its also a challenging film to watch if you like brain testers... There are Action parts within the film and if you watch the deleted scenes it adds a whole new level of twists and potential twists for you to work out which could change your perception on the film. Now the back of the box makes the film sound outstanding and the Trailer makes you think that its probably going to be okay and maybe aims your view about the type of genre towards 'Family Viewing'. Now this be not the case, well in my opinion anyway... The film is done very well including all of the Graphics done by the team who did the Titanic and there are also parts of comedy that turn up throughout the film between Sweetie (the ship computer) and Nick (James Spader) which are quite good as it adds in a level of humour, but the humour does know its limits and so there isn't that much in the film which probably makes these parts a great bonus for the film. Now there are other twists which don't happen but you feel that they could easily do so if a few circumstances change... Now the DVD on Region 2 has a trailer, a 2 page booklet explaining about the Production of the film and around 30mins of deleted and Alternative Scenes... Now I do Suggest that you buy or at least rent this film as I can easily imagine that I could watch the film quite a few times.

Oh, dear.......

Author: Britlaw from London England UK
15 January 2001

I picked this up on DVD at the video shop never having heard of it, I certainly don't remember it being released commercially in the UK.

There may be several reasons why. Firstly, the plot is hackneyed - this is the stalker in the big dark house, or perhaps 40 years ago Alistair Maclean would have set it on a wartime submarine. In any event it is a bit of a rip off from 'Alien' with none of the style, sense of fear or panache of that picture.

Secondly this seems to have been hacked about a great deal. The deleted scenes on the DVD (complete with alternative ending) shows that a completely different film may have been contemplated.

Thirdly, so many formulaic elements have been included as background for the characters it seems this film could have been written by a committee. However, I didn't think the SFX were too bad actually and it all looked very expensive. A turkey, not the worse you'll find, but definitely clucking loudly.

Not as bad as some make out, but not great.

Author: The ShadowMan from Hull, England
12 January 2001

I didn't think this film was as bad as some people had said. The male baddie was quite weak, and the story a bit thin, especially the whole 9th dimensional bomb bit. But James Spader was OK, the SFX were fantastic and the concepts not too bad. It's just that some things were brushed over too quickly, like who made the bomb, what would it's effect be on Earth, why did the bad guy regenerate, etc.