IMDb > Supernova (2000/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Supernova

Supernova More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 29: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

It adds a new dimension to bad

Author: Olle Dencker from Sweden
10 July 2001

After seeing this film I'm very impressed. How could someone with such a bad script ever convince anyone that this had potiention to become a good movie. The script totally lacks the presents of reality. It makes horror movies, there the chicks always runs around with their arms in the air, look like a documentary. I'm glad it only last for an hour and a half so you don't have to suffer that long.

Not as bad as I expected

Author: Søren Wozny from Odense, Denmark
3 July 2001

I saw this film knowing that it had been given a bad review almost everywhere.Therefore I had no expectations what so ever. Supernova has nothing new. Its a story about a journey from point A to point B with some random encounters. Its nothing but old fashion entertainment.

Very exciting; Spader shines

Author: Anne (amytych@yahoo.com) from Rockville, MD
16 June 2001

I rented this movie because it had three of my favorite actors in it - James Spader, Angela Bassett and Lou Diamond Phillips. None of them disappoint. I was surprised I had never heard of this movie cause it was pretty good. Very exciting and it kept me on the edge of my seat. It was unpredictable as well. James Spader was especially wonderful as the acting captain of a ship that is damaged in far off space. He has to find a way to save the ship and keep a madman from destroying the crew. He is very commanding and believable in the role. I also love the interaction between the different characters, who each come with a different set of emotional baggage. I would recommend the film highly.

A troubled, misunderstood movie...

Author: Aphex97 from Nether Realm
14 June 2001

This was a troubled movie right from go. It went through 4 directors, and several different versions; some directors (mainly the cool Walter Hill) wanted violent grotesque horror, while others (Coppola) wanted sexy swashbuckling space romance. Several edits and some major studio interference later, it became the mismatched hybrid that is the final release.

This movie was almost universally reviled by critics and audiences alike, one can read the reviews here on imdb and walk away scared to death of the movie. However, allow me to offer a more sane view of the film... ...Yes it is derivative and somewhat formulaic, but hey if you like the "Alien" sci-fi horror formula, then you would probably enjoy the film. PLOT: Space paramedics answer a distant distress call to pick up a stranger. It turns out that the stranger has made an amazing discovery. Things go wrong and the stranger starts bringing the pain. Thus, now the crew must fight for survival.

Many sci-fi cliches find their way into the mix (talking HAL-like computer,etc...) but it still manages to come off exciting and somewhat fresh in my opinion. The production is slick and all the sets are very well designed and realistic looking. Special effects are truly top notch. The premise/plot is interesting enough to move the action along despite some Hollywood standard "love subplot" cheesiness (the contribution of Coppola, I understand). Plenty of nudity (the very beautiful Robin Tunney!) and some cool gore.

Basically B Horror fun with A movie special effects. A decent sci-fi horror flick ...but probably for fans of the genre only. Final Rating - 6/10

Noob Aalox

Not a bad movie, but not a good movie either.

Author: INeedANewNickname from Norway
14 June 2001

It was not a bad movie, but it was not good either. It was just a movie you didn't care about. It was just there. It had a story you all ready had seen, and the action was boring and the acting was just ok, nothing more. It had some good special effects, but thats all. Don't waste your time on this boring and unimporten movie.

a thoughtfully crafted film

Author: mark-602 from washington, dc
22 May 2001

Sometimes I can't understand why people dislike one fine film and wave the flag for some other undeserving wastes of time. While not a classic, this film certainly didn't deserve the "4" that it got. I give it an "8". It gets an "8" because the casting was a little overlooked in spots and the ending was a little stupid. However, the writers were imaginative in their depiction of what an average day in space might be like in the distant future. It was well-edited, the sci-fi techno babble was interesting, and the acting was, in most cases, believable. There won't be a sequel, but its worth a watch.

James Spader murdered my soul

Author: Travis (nyello@aol.com) from Pennsylvania
16 May 2001

This is the sloppiest movie I have ever seen in theaters. So poorly made, so monotonously acted, so many close-ups and shaky camera tricks; then they threw in James Spader's bare keyster, and I just about ralphed right there and then. I mean, there aren't even opening credits or a frigging title card! Then after the "climax" the word "Supernova" flashes onto the screen in gigantic letters, mocking you for having endured its many sordid tortures. In other, more familiar words: worst movie ever.

what was all the (negative) fuss about?

Author: patrick wilken (patrickw@cs.monash.edu.au) from melbourne, australia
15 May 2001

This was not a great scifi film, but its certainly much better than many others. I really like the fact that lots of science was good or better than good. Not much magic realism here.

Its true that its not an action blockbuster and its not a thoughtful philosophical piece in the same genre at gattaca, but its really quite good.

It really does convey a mood well. Its a fun late night video hire I think.

what was all the (negative) fuss about?

Author: patrick wilken (patrickw@cs.monash.edu.au) from melbourne, australia
15 May 2001

It really does convey a mood well. Its a fun late night video hire. Its actually unfair that it doesn't quite reach the heights of a great scifi film, but at least it tries in lots of different ways to do so. Worthy achievement.

THE worst movie of all time.

Author: astroraptor from Sudbury, Ontario, hmm, I wonder.
20 April 2001

This is by far the worst movie EVER made. It has bad special effects (and the previews said that it had better FX than The Matrix :P), screwed up plot, and sex seems to be the only thing holding this film together. One last thing... Supernova? What supernova?