IMDb > Supernova (2000/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Supernova

Supernova More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 28: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Good cast gone to waste

Author: Fishbone-2 from Spokane, Washington
22 August 2000

This film probably had one of the best all around casts I've seen for a science fiction thriller in the past years with the exception of one or two actors. But sadly, the films fails to utilize this strength and ends up being an uninspired, typically stupid sci-fi thriller like we've seen recently. I saw this in theaters and regretted it. I also rented the DVD to see if the 20 minutes of film they cut out would have made it any better. It would have. If they would have left much of the footage in and kept the alternate ending in this film wouldn't have been nearly bad as it was. Although it still wouldn't have been anything special. If you're curious about this film, I'd advise renting the DVD.

What a relief, no puppies

Author: Stoffe from Switzerland
20 August 2000

It was actually a big relief, I was after reading a review expecting some kind of monsters probably slimy and of course very mean. It was a long time since I saw a good Sci-Fi, no monsters, no possession from the devil and no slime (and not much blood). Of course it's not the best movie there is but sometimes you get so surprised by the lack of standard Sci-Fi crap so you ignore some of the faults. The special effects are good, what I don't like is the design of the ship, not so much the outside as the inside, the hard surfaces, the ladders and the uncozy atmosphere. Why don't they build things with light colors and more practical solutions. However it's a good movie for people tired of all those mean space monsters.

Ouch!

Author: chainz from San Francisco, USA
20 August 2000

A coworker talked me into going and watch this one just after it had premiered. He had heard good things about it. Well, to cut it short, he heard wrong. But the popcorn and the coke were ok.

Two minutes to dimensional jump, one minute to dimensional jump...

Author: mel-96 from Frankfurt, Germany
6 August 2000

Well, this dimensional jump was a very nice one, great ship, nice view. I felt very well in my seat while this scene ran and thought that this will even make up if the rest of the movie will not be as perfect.

I voted 6/10. There is nothing I really have to complain about. The relation between the people and the alien artifact could have been more clear. James Spader did a nice performance and Angela Basset is a nice actress anyway. Robin Tunney was horrible, I have seen her do better.

only watch this if it is to keep you off the streets

Author: Jeroen (Kal Zakath) from Enschede, The Netherlands
12 July 2000

The cast and acting is OK, but that's about all the positive I can say about this move. The story is very poor, the sounds is very poor, and the special effects are... you got it! very poor. The spaceship they're in just doesn't look right, it's hard to explain what's exactly wrong, but it just doesn't breath the atmosphere many other Sci-Fi movies and series do.

This should never have been made.

Author: Phalanx-6 from U.S.
6 July 2000

This movie had me digging my fingernails into my legs almost constantly at dreadfullness of the entire movie. The camera angles were simply horrible, moving all the time and going behind stuff in a vain effort to look original (they are even worse than Battlefield Earth's). The actors all gave there lines like they had a gun to their heads, though the main guy was decent. The "humor" of the movie was laughable in it's stupidity. The plot was cliche filled and boring, so boring that my friends and I came close to walking out (and this movie is only an hour and twenty minutes or so long); we've never walked out of a movie before. The climax felt anti-climatic, with a "You'll never know what happens until the never coming sequel" feel. The screenplay was bad, the camera was bad, and generally the acting was bad. That simply makes for a bad movie experience. Run away from this movie. Phalanx

Unpretentious, visually attractive sci-fi fun.

Author: Marcel (MRC-10) from Breda, Netherlands
5 July 2000

Unpretentious in plot, Supernova supports great visuals and a serious acting effort. Although this film has switched in directors an actual switch in the film is not visible. Great fun, especially after a series of 'meaningful-must-make-you-think' sci-fi flicks.

THE PAIN!

Author: Steba from Helsinki, Finland
26 June 2000

This has got to be one of the worst sci-fi movies I have ever seen! I ofcourse love science fiction movies, but this one really dragged the genre through the mud! The acting was poor, much like listening to boring small than anything interesting. The characters were not interesting, the plot was weak and short, and the special effects were not even that great! Ok, the jump sequence might be the best of the effects shots in the movie, but it seems to be a mix of both Stargate and Star Trek! Also there were considarable plot holes in the the story as well as some really stupid mistakes: If they were a rescue craft, why did they only have enough jump pods for the crew alone? Does this mean that they only go to the area and find if there are suvivors and then leave again? What was the deal with "Sweety" and the crew member? IF she could finally think for her self, why didn't she help out the remaining crew members? And there are other problems too.

A really bad film, not even worth renting on video, a *out of***** in my book.

Not as bad as the criticism suggests

Author: Larks-2 from Cork, Ireland
26 June 2000

I am a little surprised by much of the slating the film has received on this site. The current score of 3.5/10 just does not do justice to what, while by no means brilliant, is an avergae movie deserving around 6 out of 10.

I know the plot is weak in parts, and some of the dialog also. But, the special effects, the sexual undertones and all round good actors make this an engaging if not awe-inspiring film. Another saving grace is that the film is relatively short and does not overstay its welcome, unlike the awful Mission to Mars for example.

So average it is, but terrible it ain't.

Super-bomb

Author: Ryan J. Gilmer (ryanjgilmer007@aol.com) from Plymouth, MN, USA
18 May 2000

This movie was an early 2000 sci-fi flick that looked terrible in previews and when compared to Pitch Black, another early 2000 science fiction movie, Supernova's deficiencies are flushed out. Basically, see the Pitch Black article and reverse the review. Add to this the fact that the movie cost $60 million dollars and has the feal of $5.

Q:Where did the money go? A:Not in the quality.

The story is writen poorly and seems to wrip off from other movies instead of borrow from them.

The interesting concepts of an energy force with ultimate potential and a mad-man bent on exploiting it have been seen and done better before.

The love interests and aspects just dont add-up.

The aspects could go on and on. This will turn into a midnight movie and will provide some interesting entertainment, but all-in-all it is one to try and not see.

Rating: 3

Viewed: in theatre (scope)