IMDb > Small Gifts (1994) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Small Gifts (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Quite possibly the greatest Christmas movie ever created.

Author: chester-gray from Ontario, Canada
27 January 2003

It is a shame that this was low budget film that never made it in to the big time, because this show beats out a lot of the multi-million dollar christmas movies for overall quality in acting and dialogue. It dramatic and yet hilariously funny at the same time. The actors play there parts to a T. I particularly liked Nora's mother, superb**ch This show proves that you need nothing more for Christmas than to be together. Chester's Rating: **********/10

Small gifts are the best, of course.

Author: reebelle from Ontario, Canada
22 October 2006

People give a 10/10 a little too easily, but I feel this movie deserves it. It's small in scope, and doesn't try to be something it's not (a Hollywood film). A couple, down on their luck financially, try to make ends meet at Christmas, but their prospects are slim. Evan chops wood; Nora bakes pies. Each try to make it a perfect Christmas for the other, with mixed success. But it's really the little moments that make this movie -- the interactions between the brusque Evan and Nora's prudish mother, and in turn Nora's bashful reaction to Evan's father's attempts to assist with the couple's lack of success at procreation. Kind of a Canadian "Gift of the Magi," it's like a tiny, perfect little truffle in a box, wrapped with a pretty bow. Not too sweet, not too rich -- just the perfect end to the day for a Christmas Eve viewing. I used to be able to depend on CBC or CTV to show this one every Christmas, but I haven't been able to find it the last couple of years, which is a shame -- it really should be a Canadian TV tradition.

A Beautiful & Gentle Christmas Movie

Author: wendybickerdike from Canada
21 October 2006

This is one of the most beautifully acted films I have seen. It's all very natural and it's such a gentle story. Fabulous! Makes one truly wonder about the commercialism of Christmas. The characters & situations are very real and would remind everyone of someone that they know or have come across. The genuine care that this couple have for each other should inspire everyone to strive for nothing less I've always enjoyed Jeremy Ratchford, usually as a cop - I find him interesting to watch... but this lends a whole new dimension to him and the actress who plays his wife is perfect in the role You'll be sorry if you miss this film... that is, if you have a heart.

Excellent Movie

Author: empoweringart-1 from Canada
12 December 2005

This film is definitely one of my favorite Christmas movies... 'Small Gifts' manages to be believable, warm and funny without being saccharine like so many other seasonal films. A modern day "Gift of the Magi" and a stroll down memory lane for anyone who has ever had to roll their pennies. Brenda Devine is just terrific as the mother-in-law without ever being cliché, and there is a wonderful chemistry between Jessica and Jeremy as Nora and Evan. Their financial obstacles are true-to-life and a subtle reminder amidst the ever escalating materialism of the holiday season that we need to remember the things in life that truly are important. This movie originates from New Brunswick, so there is a hospitable Maritime feel to it . It is a shame that it has not yet aired in the United States, I think there are many who would appreciate it. Well worth watching, and a true Canadian gem.

A truly wonderful movie!

Author: George Cifrancis (gc3@infinet.com) from Hilliard, Ohio, USA
7 April 1999

This Canadian TV movie which was first aired on CBC in Canada in late 1994 is really a enjoyable movie. The movie stars Jessica Steen and Jeremy Ratchford as a low income couple trying to make ends meet during Christmas time. Unfortunately, I had to rely on a Canadian friend for a copy of the movie since it isn't available in the United States. The CBC in Canada sometimes airs the movie around Christmas time so be sure and check it out. I also believe it is available at some libraries in Canada. This is also one of my favorite performances from actress Jessica Steen.

A young couple struggle through the Christmas season without much money but with a lot of love and perseverance

Author: tishkers from Victoria BC, Canada
2 August 2005

Every year around Christmas I search through my TV listings hoping this will be on because it is such a treat. I've seen it three times now.

A young couple played by Jeremy Ratchford and Jessica Steen, struggle through the Christmas season. They have very little money. They live in small-town, snowy Canada. They drink beer. She likes Christmas. Her mother is a trial to them both. He's a real guy, with a truck. A lot of us have been these people or know people like them.

For me this is the perfect Christmas story because there is so much love between this couple despite the obstacles they face. You can feel their affection for each other come through the screen. Yet married life here is never romanticized. How refreshing.

This is the first thing I ever saw Jeremy Ratchford in and I found him compelling. He inhabited this guy in such a confidant way. This character is a guy, who, though young, knows who he is, likes himself and his life.

It's also a funny movie; things go wrong with their Christmas plans. There is a scene in a church that made me laugh out loud, and another one on the top of a roof. Whenever I notice Small Gifts is on I recommend it to other people because I think this TV movie deserves a much bigger audience.

The script was done by David Adams Richards which is a selling point in itself. In Canada he is a well known novelist.