IMDb > "V.I.P." (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"V.I.P."
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"V.I.P." More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

It's All Just A Joke!

Author: bob from Los Angeles
8 November 1999

Everyone in this forum is so quick to criticize this show, but NO ONE here is putting the show in context! Not only is it no Law and Order, but they are not even trying to give that impression!

The show is all a spoof: It's spoofing Hollywood, It's spoofing bimbos, it's spoofing female cliches... Hell, it's even spoofing itself.

The point of the show is not to watch and analyze the characters' decisions! It is meant to be watched as a show making fun of itself.

You say that Val is stupid to do bodyguarding with High Heels? Well what would the show be like if she had dressed up in a skin-tight sexy suit which was perfect for bodyguarding?? Then the humor wouldn't be humor and Val wouldn't be Val. Where's the fun in that?

You people need to open your eyes, and watch this show with a lighter heart. If you want something slick with smooth people who just won't understand your jokes, then go watch the X-files!

women in silly clothes with lots of gratuitous violence

Author: Amy from Raleigh, NC
24 March 2001

This ("women in silly clothes with lots of gratuitous violence") was how Valerie Irons (Pamela Anderson) described a "movie" being made... obviously making fun of her own show. Truly, I always disliked Pam Anderson and have never really seen anything she's been in, but sometimes I am up very late and "V.I.P." is the only thing on. I expected to hate it, but instead found myself laughing at her [Pam Anderson's] antics. She is much funnier than I ever gave her credit for, and she, with this show, is really just making fun of herself. Who knew Ms. Anderson could be self-deprecating? This is not a show I would set my VCR to record, but if it's on and you're up, GO FOR IT! It's mindless, it's silly, but it can also be downright funny. Plus, it's great eye-candy. :-)

entertaining

Author: Andrew Hatch
4 January 2002

sure VIP's not the most intelligent or thought provoking show, but that doesn't make it bad. Reading the other user's comments it's clear that many are missing the point of this show. It's an action comedy, with emphasis on comedy. It's a fun waste of an hour.

Possibly Guilty but Certainly Harmless Pleasure

Author: opusv5 from Ottawa, Canada
31 January 2011

The trivia feature of the box set I've just purchased says (through subtitles) that this series was a great favourite of Jim Jarmusch. He may have liked it for the same reasons I do: it's a self-parody that is meant to be enjoyed as such. The series kept to the spirit of fun by not over-indulging in violence: there were at least as many kicks and punches as bullets flying, and those bullets never drew blood. The villains were take-offs on stereotypical baddies; the plots, while un-original, were again enjoyable as take-offs. The show had substantial sex appeal, though I confess (especially being Canadian)that I don't find Pamela Anderson that compelling physically. She does (or did) keep in shape, though, and can look good in hot pants. And that's part of what made V.I.P. enjoyable: good-looking, well-dressed people getting themselves into and out of ridiculous situations.

It's not to be taken so seriously

Author: snoopy-44 from Alabama
11 August 1999

I've been watching this show for a while now and I like it. It's not to be taken so seriously. They're more like comic book characters. It shows that Pamela Anderson Lee has a sense of humor. She's not a barbie doll. I think that's just envy talking. A lot of people said the same thing about Goldie Hawn and she's a good actress. She's beautiful, she can't help that. And finally, the show has gotten an emmy nomination and it's not because of the wardrobe.

Just have a good time

Author: dtucker86 from Germany
3 September 2003

This show got some of the worst reviews that I have ever read, but it is one of my guilty pleasures. Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert did a show on Sneak Previews once called Guilty Pleasures, in this show they talked about movies that they were almost embarassed to admit that they liked. VIP is one of my guilty pleasures, I like to think that I am an intelligent person, I am a college graduate and have traveled all over the world in my military career, but I really loved watching the exploits of "the beautiful and lethal Vallery Irons!!!" People, this show was tongue in cheek and it was not meant to be taken seriously don't you realize that? Pamela Anderson is not the dumb bimbo people make her out to be, that is only the part she played. She is very intelligent and in fact was one of VIPs creators. She is a loving mother of two small children and needs all our prayers right now because she is battling a fatal liver disease. Pamela you brought me a lot of joy with your wonderful show and I wanted to thank you, forget about what all those other people have said. VIP was sort of like I Spy or The Man From Uncle. It took us into a world of glamour and excitement and it threw a lot of humor in along the way! Just relax and have a good time. I admit, Val was a ditz, but her heart was always in the right place.

Jeez, lighten up people...

Author: winstonfg from Belgium
18 January 2008

I've always thought of Pamela Anderson as one of Canada's worst (or best, depending on how you look at it) exports; but this show suggests to me that there might be a few synapses there after all.

Unashamedly silly and with lots of comic-book violence, it started a trend that's been carried on by 'She Spies' and others; and while that may not be a glowing recommendation for any of you, I find it an enjoyable way to switch off the brain for an hour. And it's proved to me that she may just have a second career as a comedienne once she's gotten too old for her Barbie Doll image.

Probably one for the guys rather than the gals, but *definitely* better than Baywatch.

Very funny stuff

Author: alice-18 from Virginia
27 April 2000

I love it when I turn on the TV and find this show on. It is really so funny. The satire is great and Pam Anderson is wonderful at making fun of herself. The outfits she wears are outrageous, which just makes me smile even more. The plots are obviously thin, but it is meant to be fluff and fun to watch. I am a woman, but am not in the least offended by this show. The other females balance perfectly against Vallery's bumbling character. Good, no-brainer stuff.

Hey, it's funny!

Author: luciyen from Massachusetts
18 April 2002

Sure, it may be cheesy, but that's the whole point! The show does exactly what it aims to do: Have lots of action and lots of laughs. Sure, Pamela Anderson isn't that great of an actress, but the rest of a cast does a great job, despite the material they are given!

All of you who have said VIP will not last must be kicking yourselfs now.

Author: famousrob from Orlando, Florida
31 May 2000

Ah, here it is May 31st 2000 Vip just finished its second season and is now known as the NUMBER 1 SYNDICATED SERIES IN AMERICA knocking the reigning champion Baywatch (another show you didn't like) from its 10 year record. VIP has been picked up for the 3rd, 4th, and 5th season. But hey there is no purpose to this show, and it will never last. HAHAHAHAHAAHAHA.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]