IMDb > "Super Gran" (1985) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Super Gran" More at IMDbPro »

nostalgia pure

Author: Jos Wolffers from Brussels, Belgium
14 September 2000

Few people remember this rather bizarre series from the mid-80ties about a grandmother with super powers. I remember I used to watch it every week for as long as it was on (I must have been about six years old), and it's a shame I haven't seen it since, although I'm not sure it is as funny and exciting as I remember. Right up there with Bananaman, M.A.S.K and He-Man as my all-time favourite (cartoon) series. Or is it mere nostalgia ?

Crazy but fun

Author: jonny_porter (jonny.porter@bolt.com) from Belfast, Northern Ireland
28 January 2002

As a kid in the eighties I used to love reading the SUPERGRAN books. Accompanied by the TV series with the memorable theme tune (Stand back Superman, spiderman etc...) sung by Billy Connolly, this Scottish family fun was extremely entertaining. Simple format, Scunner Campbell was the baddy and his podgy stooge 'tub' who always had a cream bun in his face. They were always stopped by SUPERGRAN and her hapless chums. Questionable acting, pointless script and special effects to make any Doctor Who look like Star Wars, but still entertaining enough to keep this seven year old kid glued to his screen. With her hunching over and her quivering she would extend her index and her little finger on each hand with her thumb holding the others in place, this indicated her 'Super hearing' was working. Well I suppose it beats the Bionic Woman's ear. Classic stuff, worth checking the bargain basket in the video store to find an episode.

Wonderful, silly and fun

Author: mickey dripping from hong kong
6 January 2001

If you have the ability to remain seven years old despite the advance of age you will love Supergran. It was naive. It was wacky. And it was simplistic. My mum WAS Supergran in the eyes of her grandchildren. They thought of her as magic just as the Gran in the title was.

What fun!

Sunday teatime fun

Author: Chris Gaskin from Derby, England
21 June 2005

I often used to watch Supergran when it was on in the 1980's. This was usually screened on ITV on Sunday at around 5-6pm, teatime.

It is about a Gran who is given special powers and when people needed help or were in trouble, they called on her to sort them out, mostly involving crime.

Each episode lasted 30 minutes and usually broke off for some adverts in the middle, which was quite annoying.

Supergran was played by Grudun Ure and the cast also included Ian Cuthbertson and Bill Shine. Each episode had a special guest star. The Supergran theme song was sung by Billy Connolly.

Although some people who I know thought this was silly, I enjoyed some of the episodes and would be good to see some again.

Hang about, look out for Supergran

Author: Steve West from Adelaide, Australia
21 April 2008

Just adding to the international flavour of the comments, this show used to be on the ABC if I recall correct during afternoons in the late 80's. Silly, barely watchable but memorable, I still remember the catchy theme tune (sung by Billy Conolly, who'd've thought?). I remember watching some episodes but preferred cartoons such as The Real Ghostbusters or The Bugs Bunny Show at the time.

I have very little to add as I didn't watch the show much, but ten lines of text are required. Metal Mickey was another UK show where I remember the theme but hardly remember anything of the actual show itself.