IMDb > "Felicity" (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Felicity"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Felicity" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

An underrated gem.

Author: btvs2003 from Texas
25 February 2003

I didn't watch Felicity when it originally aired because I was sick of all the WB teen dramas like Dawson's Creek, etc. But to compare this to Dawson's Creek and just write it off as another teen drama would be unfair. This series is a heartfelt look at college life and focuses on many issues we all face when we get out into the real world. The thing that makes this series so good is the characters: loveable, easy to identify with. You really care about these people and they are not sleazy soap opera trash characters. These characters are people you would really love to know if they were real and the actors portraying them are not all supermodels, a big plus. Felicity is of course the title character who follows high school crush Ben all the way to a New York college after giving too much thought to something he wrote in her yearbook. Her impulsive decision is a reminder that we are all vulnerable and confused once we leave the home for the first time and get out on our own. We all can identify with her in some way, even if we didn't make a decision that big. The stories are all well done and done so well that you can really see the creators care what they are putting on the screen. All the common themes of teen drama are twisted here. One other outstanding thing is the music and photography. God, that photography! It's beautiful. Felicity was never a ratings winner and was cancelled after only 4 seasons. But don't let that fool you. It didn't get cancelled because it was a bad show. There are many reasons it went to a swift downfall. I think it was being aired on the wrong network (it was the only mature drama on the WB at that time) and the show was too mature for the usual WB viewers and was skipped over by those who were right for it because of the channel it was on. Nevertheless, sometimes good shows get cancelled. If you want a really good series that takes a different approach to college life and the teen drama, check this out. It stands apart from all the other trash shows like Beverly Hills, 90210 and Dawson's Creek. And just to let you know, I am a guy and I love it, so don't think it's a chick show or anything. Buy the DVD set. It's worth it. Especially if you are the same age as the characters.

Simply Wonderful!

Author: shelvis-2 from canada
27 December 2002

When this show ended, I felt as though my best friend had moved away. From the very first episode "Felicity" grabbed my attention and never let it go. Excellent scripts, wonderful acting & possibly the best lighting on television. I just bought the 6 disc DVD set of the entire first season, and now I can't wait for the other 3 seasons to be released.

Congratulations to everyone involved in the production of Felicity. You did a great job!

An Amazing piece of Television

Author: Brian (d0ctornick@aol.com) from Vienna, VA
19 October 1998

"Felicity" is a show that doesn't come along very often. In this year's humdrum of boring freshman shows and networks trying to squeeze ratings out of old worn out sitcoms on their last legs, Felicity comes across as a refreshing journey. Felicity is somewhat of a lost soul, her father has planned out her future, pulling strings to get her into Stanford to pursue a medical career. But right after graduation, Felicity asks a guy she's been eyeing for the whole time she was in high school.... Ben Covington... to sign her yearbook. What he writes genuinely touches Felicity, so she decides to pursue Ben to NYU. Many of the plotlines of the series (at least so far) almost seem to be along the lines of something found in Melrose Place or 90210, but they are handled with a sense of care, and the series achieves poignant moments comparable only to moments spent watching movies. The whole show has a movie like quality to it, each scene looks planned, camera-work brings a little extra oomph to the scenes.... This is some of the best work I've seen on television. I can not recommend this show enough... it lives up to the buzz. Definitely among the top 5 shows on television.

Chronicles of a college student and her relationships with her classmates/friends

Author: Robert Nguyen (nguyen_robert@mptp.com) from Santa Ana, California, USA
19 June 1999

"Felicity" is a fabulous show that everyone can relate too. It's not over-dramatic like many other shows. There is at least one character on the show that everyone can recognize within themselves. This show is for everyone, not just youths. The actors are superb. Keri Russell rightfully deserved her Golden Globe Award for her role. You must watch this show!

Why I Like The Show

Author: leah from TO
4 June 2002

I find Felicity different then many of the other teen dramas. It is easier to relate to, more about finding your way, more mature then "Dawson's Creek" or "Gilmore Girls", although I like those two shows as well. It's a show I will miss, as the series ends, and I will always be glad I watched.

This show is hilarious!

Author: Seb Chen from Connecticut, USA
23 April 1999

I originally thought this was another "Dawson's Creek" type teensploitation series. I was pleasantly surprised when I laughed myself silly at this extremely well written, well acted and often touching show. Felicity Porter is a much more realistic neurotic than Ally McBeal could dream to be and far more relatable. Did I mention the show is hilarious??? Example: Felicity's boyfriend has just had a fight with his brother upon finding out he is gay and planning a commitment ceremony with a man named Alex. The two siblings storm out leaving Felicity and Alex at the table alone. Felicity meekly offers "I'm marrying a gay guy too." (her gay boss has asked her to marry him so he can get a green card). It may sound far fetched but well-conceived scenes like this will have you rolling. Watch it!

About a girl searching for everything and everyone meaningful in her life.

Author: anonymous from Wisconsin
8 November 1998

I think that Felicity is the most amazing show. It has so much reality in it and I really can identify with the characters. I think that the actors/actresses are amazing. I only hope the I can have someone as cute and understanding as Noel for my R.A.

Loved the show except for a few things

Author: Pegofhearts from Chicago, IL
21 March 2005

I absolutely loved Felicity! Although I did not watch it when it was first aired, I have watched all four seasons on DVD. The only big issues had with this show were that after the first season, I think it was they stopped having consistent sally-felicity "tapings". I think in season 2 felicity sent tapes to Sally, but you never heard anything back from Sally. I think for season 3, there was hardly any tapes at all! Then in season 4 you only heard Felicity sending tapes to sally again. What's up with that?Also, towards the end of season 4, it was COMPLETELY unrealistic when Ben cheated on Felicity with Claire! I mean come on- the guy goes through EVERYTHING to be with her and then just cheats on her with some dumb blonde? Ben would not do that to Felicity at that point in the show and it was really horrible that they wrote that in. Also towards the end of Season 4 when they had that whole "back in time" sequence, I thought that was really stupid. I mean it was just NOT felicity. I, personally am a HUGE Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan and that show is all about magic and the super natural, and I also LOVE felicity. But the thing is, the two do not collide in any way. They are completely different and they shouldn't be intertwined. I accepted it in the beginning when Meghan did those few spells on Felicity and they supposedly worked, because they were little things and it was really up to you to decide whether you thought the spells worked or not, but when they had that whole back in time thing was just too over the top- it was felicity trying to be Buffy and it wasn't pretty. I think Ben and Felicity are perfect for each other and that in the end they should be together, but the way they did it was horrible. I loved the seen when Ben came to the airport and he and felicity got back together, it was perfect. I think they should have done something like that for the ending, not felicity forgiving Ben for cheating on her like a million times. Also the whole thing about Ben getting Lauren pregnant was not so good. It was also unrealistic because since she was like 40, the chances of her getting pregnant on a one night stand were pretty slim and she was mean and TOTALLY screwed up the story line. And finally at the very end when Elena was back at the very end and when they didn't explain it was horrible. I know, I watched the DVD bonus features so I know that Matt reeves, I think it was, had to cut it out because there wasn't enough time, but this was the final episode and you can't do something that big, and not explain it. You just can't.So I am sorry I had to focus on the negatives, but there are too many positives to mention, but overall I thought Felicity was an excellent show with the above exceptions.

Loved the show!

Author: Lejla_83 from Copenhagen, Denmark
11 February 2005

I really liked "Felicity". I thought it was a very good show and it caught my attention at the very first beginning. The characters felt so real and I fell in love with them all. They were all so different in their own way and each one of them contributed something special to the show. Meghan's weirdness and Richard's humor worked for me! I will never forget the scene where Noel drinks that weird drink before their final exams and gets a little crazy - it always cracks me up!! I love watching reruns and I really wished I had it all on DVD. Have to get it one day - soon! "Felicity" was a really good show because it was actually very close to the reality of people at that age. Lots of problems that people in their early twenties deal with was portrayed on the show - for once in a normal degree.

I cannot believe I got sucked in

Author: daisy3-3
19 December 2001

I think I am slightly too old as the audience that the makers of this show try to reach. I have seen previews for TV show Felicity quite a few times over the last three years (quite a few because I'm not a big fan of WB Network, otherwise I'm sure they run all the time)..Point being, for the first time, soemtime in the beginning of 2001 I finally had a chance to see one single episode of Felicity by accident...and I got sucked in into the characters' lives and their semi-pathetic problems (the foundation of the show lays in the fact the main character- Felicity is torn between two guys and then there's the additional trivial drama of the so- called problems NYU students supposedly have..). Well, put aside the anomalies such as how do these NUY students without jobs pay for their rent and cool clothes (I mean, c'mon, there is a very weak evidence any of them have jobs and if they do they get paid minimum wage and I know NYC isn't exactly the cheapest city). Well, anyway! ... it's the second season I'm watching the show and I am amazed on how much chemistry there is between the characters of Felicity and Ben. That's some fine acting. I still think Keri Russell hasn't developed the character as much as she could have (or maybe she's not allowed to?, after all they need to keep it simple for the kids) but I also think she does the job well. She's sweet (maybe too sweet) and sincere with her facial expressions. Ben is more deep and complicated and the other guy Noel is just plain easy on the eyes. I really don't mind tuning in every Wed. night. I'm actually surprised that Aaron Spelling had noithing to do with this one.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]