IMDb > The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Talented Mr. Ripley

The Talented Mr. Ripley More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 69: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Matt Demon is now in the top 10

Author: Vivek Pandey from Delhi, India
4 August 2013

Unbelievable Acting by Matt. The absolutely malicious evil behind a naive and guy-next-door face just grows on you. In fact, after a while, since you as the audience get to see his private moments you feel like his confidante and ultimately hate the fact that you are his confidante. It is almost like making a best friends with a innocuous guy and then being unable to get out of the relationship after realising he is a fiend. The guile and the pretences are shown as coming absolutely naturally to him, with absolutely no effort. Jude gets almost a guest appearance, so does Gwynyth and everyone else. They are all supporting cast to this one man show. But they do well with the briefs given to them. Howsoever used to this genre you are (thriller/drama), there would definitely be one gasp you would let out watching this one. There are these "moments", of absolute shock and cruelty, dealt out with absolute calm (no background crescendoes either!) So watch this if you are one for the drama/thrillers You will remember this definitely as the top 20 you ever saw

Spine Chilling

Author: donwc1996 from United States
11 July 2013

This film is absolutely riveting from the first moment to the last. Matt Damon is positively smashing as Tom Ripley, grabbing the audience immediately and never letting go. You're with Tom every minute no matter what he does and he does plenty. Damon may very well be straight in real life, but here you never believe for a moment that he is, no matter who's in his arms - male or female. Damon's pan-sexual persona is so powerfully played out here that you wouldn't mind hopping in bed with him if half given the chance. He's that sparkling, like champagne bubbling over with foam. What a guy! What a performance! It's Damon's film and no one stands a chance next to him. The cast is stellar but Damon rules and ultimately every head is turned in his direction.

Already forgotten classic??

Author: PrometheusTree64 from The Mists of Time
21 June 2013

When I first saw this movie in late 1999 in the theaters, I was stunned by how beautifully-crafted it was --- and it got great reviews, too.

I found it a wonderful period piece, very atmospheric, a real artistic feat.

Yet, the industry seemed to forget about the film by the time the Oscars rolled around just 3 months later (it did get some nominations, it's true). The movie's never mentioned anywhere, and it just appears to have been wiped from collective memory almost instantly.

Even stranger, it had (and has) an odd anti-fan base that HATE it with a passion.

I hate to be snobbish, but was this just too good for mainstream audiences? And is this picture one of those that's going to have to be "rediscovered" in 20 years as an unsung, forgotten classic?

Superb acting is what makes this movie a "perfect" 8.

Author: jpetko01 from Croatia
17 May 2013

A great example of how movie can be interesting and can involve you and leave you thinking without any special effects, without great script or plot... Lets face it, this movies doesn't have great script, it doesn't have great plot either. Movie plot is interesting and definitely can involve you, yet it is not a breathtaking story with many twists and turns. But there is one thing that makes this movie great, and it is acting. Because of acting this movie is breathtaking an involving and represents one great experience and one hell of a ride.

Each character is important, each character is there for a reason and can't be left out. The way Matt Damon carried out his role made me speechless, his acting is superb, at times you can relate to him and feel sorry for poor underachiever Tom Ripley, but then, just moment later he gives you chills and scares you as hell. He's a beauty and a beast in one. And it's not only because of his role, in fact it's mostly because of the way he carried out his role. Jude Law gave the performance without a flaw. Moreover his acting is perfect. He embodied young playboy and adventurer so good that we all could feel what is like to be Dickie Greenleaf even for a moment, singing and drinking in jazz club in Naples or sun tanning and picking up girls on the sand beaches of Mongibello. Other actors were superb too, maybe only Gwyneth Paltrow had some, not bad, but less good moments in movie, but all in all it is a flawless acting.

To sum up all characters were played by perfect actors for that role, and when that happens movie can't be bad, indeed, it will probably be as great as this one.

There aren't many movies which made me relate to every one of the main characters, good or bad, and for that I give this movie 8 out of 10. To be a 9 or a perfect 10 any movie should have something in addition to perfect acting, such things as extraordinary special effects, mind blowing twists or exceptional plot. In lack of those i give "Talented Mr. Ripley" a "perfect" 8.

Mr Ripley the International Man of Mystery During His Coming of Age: Damon and Law Are Unmatched

Author: classicalsteve from Oakland, CA
29 September 2012

When people on the lower rungs of the social ladder see those on the upper rungs, they may wonder what do those people up there have that we don't? Are they really smarter? Do they have so much more talent? Or is it only that those in the upper circles get more opportunities while others have to climb there way up and try to prove themselves while those enjoying the benefits take it for granted? It might seem unfair. However, maybe there's a different way. What if someone pretended like he or she were already among the social elite? What if someone fabricated their education, their talents and their social standing to infiltrate the upper class which often seems barred to those in the lower classes? Would they possibly gain opportunities by simply pretending that they were already a member? Of course they would not only have to create a personal history but also master the etiquette of those on top.

This is what the young Tom Ripley sets out to do in his first episode of infiltrating the upper echelons through deceit and eventually crime. Matt Damon, in a tour-de-force performance, is a lowly hotel worker who manages to get into social gatherings of the upper-crust. He plays piano at a high-class event, substituting for someone who didn't want to take the gig. He even borrows a jacket with the Princeton Univesity logo. There he meets an older couple whose son went to Princeton. When the couple inquire if Ripley had met their son, he acts as if they were old friends. We learn that the son is living in Italy and that his father desperately wants him to return. He offers Ripley $1000 plus expenses if he'll go to Italy and bring him back his son.

In a short time, Ripley is in an Italian town replete with stone walkways and narrow streets. He finds Dickie Greenleaf, played by Jude Law in an equally stunning performance, living in a perpetual paradise with his girlfriend Marge (Gwentheth Paltro). Because he's independently wealthy, Dickie drinks and plays Jazz, and occasionally cheats on his girlfriend. all the while housed in a beautiful seaside apartment. Ripley befriends the couple, and they become a kind of strange three-some. The three get along almost like a little family, with Ripley and Dickie like brothers, and Marge acting both as the female lover of Dickie but also rather maternal towards the other two males. Another friend of Dickie's enters into the menage a trois, Freddie (Philip Seymour Hoffman), who suspects something isn't quite right with Tom Ripley. Dickie and Tom's friendship becomes strained when, at one point, Dickie also begins to question who Ripley really is and his motives.

A stunning completely character-driven story. The acting is absolutely first rate. The most impressive is the relationship between Damon and Law which is so believable you feel as if you're spying on real people rather than watching a movie. The actors create a mystical bond which is uncommon in film, reminiscent of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and like films. But here, there is a perfect blend of drama and suspense which makes Ripley one of the most interesting and original of films.

Very Intelligent Film!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
2 August 2012

The Talented Mr. Ripley is a very intelligent, well-made thriller. This film had a great premise, wonderful acting, and scenes that reminded me of films from the 70's. I decided to watch this film solely based on the fact that this is an early Matt Damon movie and all the award attention it got.

This film is about Tom Ripley who is assigned to go to Italy to send back home a son who moved away from America. But things always don't go according to the plan....

The acting is incredible. This all-star cast boasts the talent of Matt Damon, Jude Law. Gwyneth Paltrow, Cate Blanchett, and Philip Seymour Hoffman. They all were just very, very good.

Overall, this is just a wonderful thriller with surprises at every turn. Also, I must mention the cinematography. I was impressed what I learned about the Italian culture from that. I rate this film 9/10.

Brilliant, terrifying movie

Author: marioncap from United States
24 June 2012

I was thrilled and terrified by this movie, but also shocked that none of its reviewers seemed to understand it. Almost every review I've read misses the point of Tom Ripley's degrading job at Carnegie Hall's men's room: He worked the job so he could hear great music for free; for an aspiring young concert pianist, it was actually a pretty good job in the 1950s.

Nobody seems to have noticed that while Dickie Greenleaf just wants to goof around in Europe, Tom Ripley actually wants to play the piano professionally. Yes, of course he wants to be rich, but he doesn't just want to be rich for the sake of being rich. When Freddy finds him in Rome, he finds him because his landlady hears him practicing the piano at all hours. Tom Ripley longs for the rich life, but he wants it so he can play the piano! His horrible tragedy is not only that he kills the only person who can ever love him; it's also that he kills the only person who could ever understand and embrace him as an artist. He starts out as an aspiring artist with a once-in-a-lifetime freak chance, and ends up a serial killer.

A truly talented movie

Author: AleckSandr
16 May 2005

I have been fascinated by this truly talented movie since I first saw it some years ago. This is the only film which I saw at least 20 times. Every time I watch it I seem to myself simply to be dissolved in it. I feel as if I were an invisible film participant who constantly accompanies the characters......

Tom Ripley, the main character of the movie, is an unwanted, poor lad who early understood that it was actually impossible to succeed in life without protection and support. I could sympathize with him. When Tom gets an opportunity to change his life and happens to know the happiness of that glorious world his bad instincts fail him.

I don't identify myself with Tom. I could be Peter though. I think Jack Davenport played one of his best roles. The homosexual tendencies of the characters don't scare me and I don't focus on them.

The characters of the movie are making their way in the world - that's what we all do - and how they do it attracts our attention.

The cast is splendid. It's like a precious brooch - twinkling scattered diamonds and emeralds - every stone in itself is of some importance and is strongly attracted by others.

It is a beautiful film. Elegant, dramatic, fascinating, mysterious, exciting...... I really enjoyed every scene. I also liked the fine music so tastefully arranged by the authors of the movie - it fascinated me from the very beginning.

In my eyes this film is perfect.

Classic Film Noir!

Author: cbrandt86 (cbrandt86@yahoo.co.uk) from Oxford, UK
12 October 2002

After seeing this film, I have only one complaint, why didn't it feature in the Oscars?

This film's a brilliant example of Film Noir. The screenplay and direction are impeccable, and there are flawless performances from the cast. The locales in Italy are visually stunning. Even the peek into the darkness of the human mind is effectively achieved. There are some crisp one-liners, and good dialogue in many places.

To sum up, I cannot agree with any of the critics of this film. I loved it the first time, and am looking forward to seeing it again.

Interesting Character Study

Author: gbheron from Washington, DC
12 October 2002

Who is Tom Ripley, the personage of the film's title? That's really the central premise of "The Talented Mr. Ripley", and it's a good question. The film is a period piece set amongst the moneyed few of 1950s America. Ripley, as played by Matt Damon, is a human chameleon, adept at impersonating others, down to the matching signatures. His criminal career starts during a wealthy New York party where Tom is playing piano as part of the paid entertainment. He's wearing a borrowed Princeton University blazer, the alma matter of the host's wayward son, and is mistaken for one of the son's friends. Ripley slips quickly and easily into his first deception, that of the son's best friend at college. Subsequently the father hires Tom to go to Italy, where the son is slumming with his girlfriend, and bring him back to New York.

Once in Italy, Tom ingratiates himself into the company of the son, Dickie Greenleaf, (Jude Law), girlfriend Marge (Gwyneth Paltrow), and their assortment of young wealthy sybarites. As the impersonations become more complex, the possibilities for exposure escalate, and the measures needed to keep the charade rolling take a deadly turn.

Matt Damon goes out on a limb portraying Tom Ripley, as the movie is essentially a character study of this complex person. He pulls it off, and Anthony Minghella, the director, gets excellent acting support from Law, Paltrow, Cate Blanchett, and Philip Seymour Hoffman. Other aspects of the movie also work very well, not the least the on-site Italian locations, and the 1950s sets. This is not a mystery, nor a romance; it's something different and difficult to categorize, and is highly recommended.