IMDb > The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Talented Mr. Ripley

The Talented Mr. Ripley More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 69: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Clever and compelling ; this psychological thriller is one of a kind

Author: Mcjoe74 from United Kingdom
20 March 2014

'The Talented Mr Ripley' is an enchanting movie that presents a fascinating study into the 'darker elements' of the human mind.It revolves around the titular character, Mr Ripley, who is sent abroad to retrieve a wealthy playboy , Dickie , who seems to have the world in his hands - money , women and a glorious mansion home. In fact, Mr Ripley , after introducing himself as one of Dickie's former school acquaintances , becomes engrossed in his luxurious lifestyle. He wonders what it would be like to have that kind of life. However, the more time he spends around Dickie, the more he realises how he is abusing this glorious life-cheating on his wife, throwing his money around and generally being irresponsible. And so he decides to do something about it.

Matt Damon is reasonably good as 'Mr Ripley' , he does a good job of depicting a disturbed character yet maintaining a certain likability. Jude Law is perfectly cast as the self-obsessed Dickie and the late Phillip Seymour Hoffman is equally good as Dickie's snobby friend ; both rather repulsive characters.

What makes this so outstanding is the way it shows the development of the principal character , from his quiet, pleasant personality as he deteriorates into a darker, sinister man. We , as the audience , feel his pain and suffering . This is where the movie shines the most-in it's ability to stir our emotions, create tension and keep us on the edge of our seats. It is indeed a difficult feat to make us sympathise with a psychopath but 'The Talented Mr Ripley' completely masters it.

This is hands-down the best psychological , thought-provoking film i have ever seen. A must-see.

The Talented Mr.Everyone involved in this film

Author: rhysowen55 from United Kingdom
25 February 2014

Just one of those films where every actor (with any dialogue) is given a three dimensional character and plenty of room to show off their acting chops. It's been described as 'a powerhouse of young talent' it certainly was that, with the opening credits listing what is soon to be the cream of Hollywood's talent. Although the film is moderately lauded by those who have seen it and perfect in nearly every aspect, it is not regarded as the classic it should be. Taking many successful risks, for example casting Matt Damon in the psychopathic role he plays is certainly over looked, even though he is regarded the 'nice guy' of Hollywood it is shocking how well he pulls it off. Still giving the role a lot of charisma and empathy. Watch it!

Tommmyyyy...How's the Peeping? One of PSH's BEST roles ever!

Author: Cat Needham from United States
7 February 2014

So much to love about this movie. From the beautiful locations to the totally accurate glimpse of WASP society, ending finally on just how frightening a bland smile and obsequious nature can be, this film has it all. Great acting by Jude Law, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Matt Damon.

But the best role of all, in my opinion, is the small supporting role played masterfully by Philip Seymour Hoffman. The way he played his character, Freddie Miles, is perfect-- a condescending, jaded, supercilious preppy who has seen (and probably) done it all. Freddie is supremely bored, cynical, and has a real mean streak. When he focuses his golden laser beam of ridicule onto Tom Ripley (Damon), you realize right away (as does Ripley) that the jig is, if not up, then threatened. I squirmed with delicious discomfort whenever Freddie taunts Ripley--my favorite being "Tommy, Tommy, Tommy, How's the peeping?" and of course the best line of all, "I think I'm SAYING it". Superb.

Philip Seymour Hoffman was an absolute genius and never overplayed or hit a false acting note in anything I've ever seen him in. I don't usually feel anything when a celebrity dies more than "Oh, that's too bad/weird/expected." When I learned of his death, however, it actually hurt inside. All that great acting we'll never see again.

If A Man Was A Stereotypical Woman

Author: kevinathome from Canada
2 February 2014

Matt Damon did a great job, as usual. It was kind of weird, based on a novel written by a woman, about how Damon's character, with no power, had to make himself interesting and compelling to a man, so that the man would then admit him to his fabulous lifestyle, though still always subject to being discarded on a day by day basis. To complete the "what if a man had to be a stereotypical woman" premise, Damon's character seems increasingly gay for the rich playboy.

Of course it all goes horribly badly, since naturally a man in that position would turn to murder. As a man, I protest! In fact, I could never have been so clever as the protagonist. Even so, the first half of the movie is unusual, idyllic, suspenseful, with a sense of doom.

The second half is Damon's character trying to pass himself off as the playboy. It's plainly doomed and insane, but he just keeps plausibly getting away with it. Lots of suspense, but less and less plausible. My wife figured they should have stopped with the first half. Is this supposed to be an allegory for a woman surviving in a man's world? Maybe so, the novel is from 1955. And of course, he has to give up on love, even betray his lover.

Hmm, was somebody a little bitter?

A movie must see

Author: jdustein from United States
27 January 2014

The Talented Mr. Ripley is ominous and foreboding, suspenseful and exciting, slow and emotional. The movie has as many facets as Mr. Ripley has talents, and it takes the viewer through an interesting and worthwhile experience.

The movie is set in the late 1950s and begins just as Tom Ripley--if that is his real name--begins his grand act of deception. The movie is based on a series of novels written by Patricia Highsmith that are centered on Mr. Ripley.

Tom Ripley, who is played by Matt Damon, deceives a man into believing that he knows his son well. That man decides to send Tom to Italy to retrieve his son, Dickie Greenleaf. Dickie, who is played by Jude Law, is privileged and arrogant, but he is also adored by those who know him. His father believes he has been sailing and schmoozing in Italy for far too long. Dickie's father promises to pay Tom's travel expenses and award him $1,000 to return with Dickie. Tom readily accepts the offer.

The first scene that intrigued me was when Tom lands in Italy. He meets a pretty American girl named Meredith, played by Cate Blanchett, and he introduces himself as Dickie Greenleaf. I almost did not catch the lie at first, and I nearly forgot about it when Tom says goodbye to Meredith, returns to being Tom Ripley, and goes to meet up with Dickie. Tom pretends to meet Dickie by chance and tells him they knew each other in college. Dickie is with his girlfriend Marge, played by Gwyneth Paltrow, and, of course, he does not recognize Tom.

Tom builds his talents for deception while making his way into Dickie's life, but he uses the truth of his mission to gain Dickie's trust. They quickly become friends. Everything seems to be going well for Tom, and it is at this point that I began to empathize with him because of his eagerness to participate socially and his obvious fear of loneliness.

As he and Dickie become closer, Tom's attraction for Dickie becomes palpable. At the same time, Dickie takes note of Tom's infatuation and tries to brush him away by spending time with other friends. In a scene that left me shocked and confused, Tom's jealousy and passion overwhelm him while he and Dickie are sailing. They are arguing because Dickie tries to tell Tom he doesn't think that they should be friends anymore, and that Tom should return to America. Tom strikes Dickie with an oar and, after a scuffle, Tom beats Dickie to death. Tom cries as he hugs the bloodied corpse, once again leaving me unsure of Tom's plan--if he even has a plan.

Tom's journey truly begins as he starts to cover his tracks and decides that his only option is to attempt to steal Dickie's life. Tom tells Marge that Dickie is just taking time away. He tells those who know him as Tom that Dickie is away, and he tells others that he is Dickie. He cashes Dickies checks and lives in his home.

The other characters become pieces in Tom's game and he manipulates them to support his web of lies. Tom murders again when Dickie's friend, who has met Tom as Tom, is on the verge of discovering Tom's ruse. Once again, the murder does not seem predetermined, and Tom does it out of necessity because he cannot stand to lose his new lifestyle. Tom's lies and murders begin to spiral out of control as the police become involved. I found myself wondering if Tom would have to kill everyone in Italy that knew Dickie. I also began to empathize with Tom's delusional scheme because he seems to only want attention and affection from others.

Dickie's friends become increasingly worried about his absence, and Dickie's father travels to Italy and hires a private investigator. Just as Tom's evil plan is about to break apart, Tom gets away clean. Tom forges a suicide letter from Dickie, and the police and private investigator come to conclusions that leave Tom innocent.

Marge is the only person who suspects Tom, but she has become emotionally distressed and no one believes her. Dickie's father even leaves Tom some of Dickie's trust fund. Tom murders one last time as the movie ends. A man who had become his lover poses one last threat to his discovery because he still knows him as Tom, and others that know him as Dickie are aboard the same ship. Tom smothers him while crying to himself.

I found this movie to be thrilling, and honestly, confusing. I could watch it again and again and probably absorb some new, interesting aspect each time. Matt Damon gives a great performance that shows range that I have not seen in his later performances. I wish that I had seen this fantastic work of art earlier, and I am eager to read the books it is based on.

The Talented Mr. Frank Abagnale meets the Talented Mr. Norman Bates

Author: Steve Schreiber
20 January 2014

Anthony Minghella, director and screenplay writer of the English Patient and Cold Mountain in addition to this film, open The Talented Mr. Ripley with a bang. It starts off with such promise and is intriguing. The photography in this film is excellent and the acting is superb. Minghella certainly knows how to get the most out of his given crop of talent. The great thing about the direction of this film is that it holds up extremely well. It is not hard to get through but the story itself will leave your skin crawling which is another testament to how well each actor performs right down to the most minor of characters.

The Talented Mr. Ripley is a mix between Catch Me If You Can and Psycho. Tom Ripley (Matt Damon) seems like a normal kid who catches a break while wearing a jacket that does not belong to him. Herbert Greenleaf (James Rebhorn) offers to pay Tom to bring his son back from Europe. The amount of money offered to Tom seems like it might be more than Tom has seen in his entire life. Wearing that jacket is what starts Tom on this journey to try and be someone more interesting than himself. He is a deeply troubled character with little to no self worth. He loves everyone he meets more than himself and never wants to leave their sides. Tom eventually meets Herbert Greenleaf's son, Dickie (Jude Law). Tom, Dickie and Dickie's fiancé Marge (Gwyneth Paltrow) eventually become extremely close friends. Tom uses his talents of impersonation and desire to become anyone but himself to stay with Dickie for as long as possible. They string Herbert Greenleaf along and have him continue to funnel money to the two of them for as long as possible. Dickie eventually begins to tire of being around Tom and begins to make a new friend, Freddie Miles (Philip Seymour Hoffman). This is about the time where the movie takes a bit of a turn. The events up to this point all trigger a downward spiral as this movie begins to tear down each character and the relationships developed. The unraveling of Tom Ripley is quite substantial. Once Tom's first layer is gone, he replaces it with a layer not of his own until almost every part of Tom Ripley is gone with the exception of the cold and dark core that he cannot let anyone into.

The Talented Mr. Ripley is an excellent movie that I feel I can only watch once because it becomes very tough to get through. Anthony Minghella does a great job in putting you in the world of Tom Ripley but in doing so makes the viewing experience quite dark in certain spots. Tom is a mold waiting to be shaped into those around him and as he gathers information about other characters Anthony Minghella is painting a wonderful picture of every character in the film. Each character is extremely complex and this film would not be the same without every one of those pieces. This character study is one of the best ones as each character brings something different. Tom wants to be anyone but himself and will stop at nothing to achieve that goal and keep his idols around him. Dickie is a self centered rich kid who uses everyone he meets including his fiancé. Speaking of her, Marge wants nothing more than to have Dickie love her unconditionally. She fears that he will use her and toss her aside which may not be far from the truth. Freddie is probably the biggest wild card among the group as you don't get to learn much about Freddie other than he is on par with Dickie in terms of social status and he steals the show whenever he is on screen. Much of that might just be attributed to Philip Seymour Hoffman's incredible acting as he seems to trump everything around him whenever he is on screen.

I would suggest that everyone see this movie at least once for the acting alone as it almost appears as if Minghella would not quit until every take was excellent. Tom Ripley will leave your skin crawling for days.

Range from Matt Damon

Author: hyperzephyrian from United States
18 January 2014

Tom Ripley (Matt Damon) is a con-man, who's finagled his way into the lives of Dickie Greenleaf (Jude Law), and Marge Sherwood (Gwyneth Paltrow) who are living in Italy, by convincing Dickie's father (James Rebhorn), that he can persuade Dickie to come back to the States.

Instead of convincing Dickie to return home, Tom befriends Dickie, and Marge, and begins living with them, on Dickie's Fathers Dime. As time passes, Dickie becomes less and less enamored with Tom, and the two have an argument, which ends with Tom killing Dickie, on a boat, in the middle of the ocean.

Tom covers his tracks as best as he can, and begins posing as Dickie, using his passport, clothes, and financial means to better himself. Dickie's long time friend, Freddie Miles (Philip Seymour Hoffman), who Tom had met while Dickie was still alive, begins to poke around into Dickie's disappearance, but things get too hot for Tom, and he also kills Freddie.

Tom pens a suicide note, after studying Dickie's handwriting for sometime, and addresses it to himself, leaving it in Dickie's apartment, which the police later find, and read. No one is convinced that Dickie killed himself, and his Father even goes so far as to hire a private detective to investigate the matters, but he clears Tom later.

During Dickie's 'disappearance,' Peter Smith-Kingsley (Jack Davenport), Dickie and Marge's friend comes to stay with Marge while this is going on. He's eventually introduced to Tom, and the two hit it off, becoming fast friends, as no one suspects Tom. Eventually, Tom and Peter leave together (this is a few weeks later, after no culprit for Freddie and Dickie's murder has been found), on a boat, where he later kills Peter.

I found this film quite engrossing. It was a bit lengthy, with a 2 Hour- 19 Minute runtime, but it was quite enjoyable, overall. Dark, comedic, and dramatic, everything I look for in a film. Matt Damon really showed me range in this film, which is already nearly 15 years old.

7.7/10 (7.3/10 on IMDb)

A perfect movie

Author: gopal4320-840-668506 from United States
15 January 2014

This was my first introduction to Matt Damon yet as brilliant as his performance is Gwyneth Paltrow's stuck with me. Her terror, horror and panic when confronting Tom in his room and finally understanding what had happened was so real as to be inspire awe in me. That is when I realized I was watching a major talent. Having seen Matt Damon movies since that first viewing I see that I had watched two major talents in a movie that was the work of genius. Everything came together in a perfect storm to produce a perfect movie.

The story unfolds inexorably as it slowly at first and then quickly rushes towards its logical conclusion. Although there could only be one outcome it never seemed foregone to me until we reached the culmination of everything that had gone before.

To know Tom Ripley is to hate him yet only Marge and Tom see the real Ripley.

Wait till you see the Spanish steps, wait five minutes, then press Stop…

Author: The_late_Buddy_Ryan from UWS, NYC, USA
7 January 2014

W/d Minghella takes Patricia Highsmith's thriller about a small-time trickster who gets a chance at a big score, and turns it into a bright, loud, Felliniesque entertainment with lots of Italian sun and glittering blue water. He adds a few extra characters, tinkers with the storyline a bit, and it plays very well for a while. Some of the tinkering seems inspired (Dickie Greenleaf, the object of Ripley's obsession, is a musician instead of a painter, which leads to a great scene in an underground jazz club), and the setup is quite involving as long as it stays open-ended. After Ripley makes his move, however, the film starts to lose momentum, and pretty soon, in the words of a great director, you've got a dead shark on your hands… Minghella doesn't do much with the psychological aspects of Highsmith's novel—sociopath, psychopath, homeopath, seems like it's all the same to him. There's one last brilliant sequence, worthy of Hitchcock, in which Ripley turns up twice at the same café, once as himself, once as Dickie G., within the space of a couple of minutes. After that, I'd suggest watching with one finger poised above the Stop button. We stayed with it to the end, and we were sorry we did. The Italian locations have rarely looked lovelier; performances are all first rate; Gwyneth's big scene toward the end doesn't really work, but I don't think that's her fault. Available for streaming on 'flix and Amazon Prime.

Perfect sense of dread

Author: SnoopyStyle
10 November 2013

Tom Ripley (Matt Damon) is a struggling lower class bathroom attendant in 1950s Manhattan. He's mistaken for being in the world of the super wealthy when an upper crust man hires Tom to retrieve his wayward son Dickie Greenleaf (Jude Law) from Italy for $1000. He finds Dickie with his girlfriend Marge Sherwood (Gwyneth Paltrow) and is lured into the world of the leisure class. When Dickie gets tired of Tom, Tom does the unthinkable and uses his underhanded skills to hang on.

Director/writer Anthony Minghella has instilled a sense of dread and foreboding. The acting is top notch with the most important coming from Matt Damon and Jude Law. There are honorable mentions to Philip Seymour Hoffman, Gwyneth Paltrow and Cate Blanchett. I do wish they play up Tom Ripley's homosexual side with Dickie and intensify the creepiness. Other than that, this movie has the perfect tone and sense of doom. It is such a perverse movie that you almost root for the conniving Tom Ripley.