The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999) Poster

Tour-de-force performance by Matt Damon
HotToastyRag13 December 2017
Jude Law was nominated for an Oscar for his role in The Talented Mr. Ripley; Matt Damon was not. To this day, I think there was a mistake while submitting the "for your consideration" names to the Academy. Jude Law wasn't really given anything to do in the film, besides look incredibly handsome and emit an aura of appeal. Matt Damon, the title character, gave a tour-de-force performance deserving of a win-the only way to explain his lack of a nomination is if there was a mistake.

Matt Damon plays a very troubled young man who longs for attention, acceptance, and love. He doesn't feel those things when he's himself; the only way he feels complete and alive is when he pretends to be someone else. For example, he borrows a fancy dinner jacket and attends a party, someone mistakes him for a well-to-do Princeton graduate, and he transforms into the man he's thought to be. He enjoys his disguise and likes it infinitely better than his own skin. The subtleties Matt Damon brings to his performance are breathtaking. A lesser actor would have played the part differently, and the film-despite Anthony Minghella's beautiful directing and Gabriel Yared's intense music-would have felt a little cheap. Matt Damon truly becomes Mr. Ripley, just as convincingly as Mr. Ripley becomes other people. You can see every reason behind his behavior clearly on his face, and every hurt, shame, doubt, and fear is communicated delicately between him and the camera. It's an incredible performance.

A host of familiar faces join the supporting cast, including Cate Blanchett, James Rebhorn, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Philip Baker Hall, Jack Davenport, Celia Weston, and Gwyneth Paltrow, as Jude Law's girlfriend. I've always felt Gwyneth to be exceptionally talented at blending into her roles. She's just as convincing in Emma as she is in Shallow Hal, and in this film, she seems completely at home in her 1950s surroundings.

Depending on how dark you like your movies, you might hate The Talented Mr. Ripley or you might add it to your collection to watch on dark, spooky evenings. I've seen it twice, because I love films with fantastic acting in them. Just be aware it isn't for the faint of heart, and there are some pretty upsetting scenes in it.

Kiddy warning: Obviously, you have control over your own children. However, due to violence, I wouldn't let my kids watch it.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Top Notch Acting, Subpar Story...
peter_lantz24 November 2017
I'm apparently going against the grain of most of the reviews on IMDb, but I'm OK with that, I think it's good to have diverse opinions.

I had watched this movie in great anticipation as all I've heard is that this is one of the best movies. I'll start with the things I liked.

What I liked:

All the acting is done very very well, there are for sure some great acting by some AAA actors. Matt Damon and Jude Law and other actors own their roles and are very believable. The setting was amazing as well, and very immersive.

What I disliked:

I didn't like the plot at all. I think the writers for the movie were confused on where they wanted to take the film. I saw the Matt Damon character eventually taking over the Jude Law's character's life, but I was disappointed with how that all happened. Granted, I haven't read the book, so I don't know the source material, so it probably follows the source material, which I'm sure I wouldn't have been a fan of either. I was wishing they would have capitalized on the abilities of copying people a little more than they did. I felt that was wasted on him trying to cover his tracks, which it turns out he wasn't very talented at. What I was kinda hoping the movie would do was the, Matt Damon's character had been studying Jude's character ever since he'd been there. The letters he was sending were actually letters to slowly take over Jude's life so by the time Jude was about to call it quits, on paper, Matt Damon was Jude Law, and Matt Damon had everything, the money, girl, house, etc. In the end Matt Damon just looked like a creepy stupid serial killer, that wasn't 'Talented' at all and will eventually get caught, because he's dumb. I hated the ending, and while I understand not every story has a happy ending, I was hoping he'd get caught and have the book thrown at him. The whole back story of why Jude's character thrown in there and the investigator giving the wink and the nod to Matt Damon to not say anything didn't work for me.

I gave this film a 4 because the actors/acting is the only thing that makes this movie watchable for me. If this wasn't on point, it would have been a 1 for sure.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Suspense
zanydr1818 October 2017
This is a REMAKE of the 1960 movie, "Purple Noon", a foreign film. It starred Alain Delon. I do not know why this is not said anywhere at all! Having seen both, I believe this one was much better. The acting, the plot, the suspense timing and twists done, all coincided well with the 1960 film, but this version outdid the original by far. The only thing else I could say is the 1960s actors were prettier.
A Plot of Greed, Adoration, Rejection... and Tragedy
Sean Lamberger10 October 2017
A small-scale imposter / con man, making the rounds in 1950s New York, gets caught up in something much greater than his usual scam and decides to let it ride, if just to see where he winds up. In this case the answer is Italy, gorgeous vestige of the old world with just a few hints of the modern one, where he's tasked with convincing a flippant trust funder to return from a perpetual, fortune-draining holiday. That mission quickly goes by the wayside, just as soon as he realizes how much easier life is in the lap of luxury, and he merely exacerbates said money-letting as the wealthy playboy's new wingman. When things take a turn for the messy, though, his welcome worn thin and nothing to show for it but bittersweet memories, a panicked string of responses sends the entire comfortable lifestyle into a tailspin. At its root, Ripley is an example of how fear and rejection can press a normally smart, affable person over the brink into monstrosity, a surprise considering the playful tone of the first act. Matt Damon, still fresh from his breakout in 1997's Good Will Hunting, shows great versatility in the leading role (essential for such a complicated character), smoothly masking that twitch in his eye from all but the viewing audience. It's one of those films where you'll feel wrong about your rooting interest, knowing all along that the guy absolutely does not deserve a happy ending, with the final moments serving as your comeuppance.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent thriller!
Davis P14 August 2017
The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999) really is one of the best crime thrillers I've ever seen. The film is set in late 1950's, it centers around Tom Ripley, a man who gets hired by Jude Law's father to go to Italy and persuade him to come back to America. When he does and gets to know him and his fiancé (Gwenyth Paltrow), things take a different turn.... The plot to this movie is very layered, and that is one of the many things that makes it great. One thing is for sure, if you like crime thrillers then you are sure to love this one. The acting is another great part about this movie. Almost all the actors were coming off of big hits when this movie came out, and every cast members great acting abilities are showcased. Matt Damon is absolutely fabulous here, it's probably the best performance I've seen him give in his career. And Paltrow's performance is very good here too... I loved her dramatic scenes, I really thought she nailed it. Jude Law and Cate Blanchett are good in their roles as well, I honesty think that Damon deserved an academy award nomination more than Law did. The writing in the movie elevates everything and really pulls it all together. Overall I 100% recommend this film this film to everyone! 10/10.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Deliciously Nerve-wracking.
highpriestess327 July 2017
The singular act of borrowing a Princeton jacket to play piano in place of an injured friend at a high class outdoor function becomes the catalyst in a series of life-changing events for Tom Ripley - a lowly lavatory attendant.

On seeing his jacket, the party's host, Herbert Greenleaf, an affluent ship builder remarks how his estranged son was of the same class at Princeton. Reluctant and perhaps too embarrassed to deny ownership of the jacket, Tom pretends to know of Greenleaf junior, probably expecting never to cross paths with the man again. However, Mr Greenleaf has other ideas - tired of his son Dickie's (Jude Law), playboy life where he squanders his generous allowance in Italy with girlfriend Marge (played by Gwynneth Paltrow), practically throws $1,000 at Tom to travel there to bring his errant son home.

Spoilers: Barely having a chance to refuse the forthright offer. Tom soon finds himself travelling first-class to Europe on a Cunard liner having first educated himself in a crash course of jazz in order to mirror Dickie's own interests in music. However, Tom inadvertently makes an unwise error when he is approached by a rich heiress from the textile industry upon disembarkation in the form of Meredith Logue (Cate Blanchette). Enjoying the illusion of being a First Class passenger he introduces himself as the man he seeks to bring home, again not expecting to cross paths with the mystery admirer again. He thought wrong and so ensues a cloak and dagger plot of maintaining a fake acquaintance with Dickie & Marge and evading Meredith who reappears at certain tense moments in Italy - moments a little too much of a close call.

Dickie's recollections of Princeton are decidedly hazy so he takes Tom Ripley at his word when he first enthusiastically approaches him and Marge languishing on an Italian beach and enthusing about the rare coincidence. Marge invites him for lunch and soon Tom begins to covet Dickie's lifestyle and will manipulate the situation in any way he can in order to maintain and prolong their friendship - even after Dickie outgrows Tom and dismisses him as both a leech and a bore.

The movie is bursting at the scenes with tense anticipation and yet we as viewers find Dickie (although every inch the charming playboy), a leech upon his father and we route for Tom as somewhat of an impoverished, socially awkward underachiever. He has an almost childlike innocence at times yet he can think adequately on his feet when being forced into corners. He is both to be pitied and yet admired as he manipulates whilst managing to look like a hapless amateur that you want to love and protect. It's one movie where for a long time afterwards you wonder what can possibly be in store for his future long after the credits roll.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
a superior french original dressed up in Hollywood glitz
alexdeleonfilm2 July 2017
Viewed at the Berlin Film Festival, 2000 Anthony Minghella's thriller "The Talented Mister Ripley" has been a big commercial success as a multi-star vehicle but by no means a critical success – far inferior to it's 1959 French predecessor "Purple Noon" (Plein Soleil) of which it is a direct remake dressed up in Hollywood glitz. The story centers on a wily loser from New York (Matt Damon) who befriends a wealthy American ex-pat in Italy (ajude Law) then murders him and steals his identity. This film was probably selected because it is the director's follow-up to the much heralded "English Patient" of 1996. While Matt Damon was oddly appealing as the psychotic antihero of the title, his interpretation of the role doesn't hold a candle to Alain Delon's definitively sinister Ripley in the René Clément version. Nor can Jude Law's over-the-top "Dickie Greenleaf"  begin to compare with Maurice Ronet's super-cool reading of the same part in '59. Cate Blanchett and Gwyneth Paltrow fill out the feminine side of the cast. Philip Seymour Hoffman nearly steals the show in a small role as the creepy guy who is on to Damon's deadly stealing of another person's identity. Not bad as far as remakes go "The Talented Mister Ripley" is a flashy piece of contemporary entertainment but is far from rating as a serious festival contender.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great Score With Some Unique Features To An Overrated Film
eric2620039 April 2017
Off my back the musical backgrounds to "The Talented Mr. Ripley" is really ear-friendly thanks to the great composer Gabriel Yared. The score is very reminiscent to the classic scores from the old Alfred Hitchcock films that Bernard Hermann contributed to like "Vertigo", "North By Northwest", and the always crowd-pleasing "Psycho". The opening titles has that feeling like Hitchcock as the picture slowly materializes into a stream of different colours. However, the film falls flat in trying to be a modern-day Hitchcock film, because the Master of Suspense would never consider making something so disjointed and muddled.

Under the direction of Anthony Minghella who directed the riveting ghost romance "Truly Madly Deeply" and the overlong and mundane "The English Patient", which won him an Oscar in hopes to repeat himself here as well being that this film is also within the 2 hour and 30 minute range. That's five times longer than Hitchcock's "North by Northwest" with the difference being that Hitchcock's film starts slow and the intensity builds up as the film progresses. Minghella's film fizzles as it goes along and ends without any kind of logic once the credits roll.

Set in the 1950's, Matt Damon stars as Tom Ripley, a low-income musician who gets mistaken for a Princeton graduate. When approached by a wealthy shipbuilder Herbert Greenleaf (James Rebhorn), he's assigned to go to Italy to bring his son Dickie (Jude Law) back home. Dickie is enjoying the life there with his wife Marge Sherwood (Gwyneth Paltrow). Ripley get adjusted to this lifestyle and does everything he can to nurture it as much as possible. Damon and Paltrow have been good in many films, but here, they seem to be streaming along with very little complexity. Jude Law seems type-cast in roles he's played before like "In the Garden of Good and Evil" and "Wilde". The real standout performances are by Cate Blanchett and Philip Seymour Hoffman, but they're just fillers and it saddens me to see how underused they were.

I went to see the film because I was fascinated by the wonderful novel it was based on by Patricia Highsmith who also is known for her book "Strangers on a Train". The movie looks good when wrapping up around the two hour mark, but instead we're forced down out throats with a unnecessary scene by dawning Ripley's homosexual urges which before then was only pondered upon. The gay subtext was only meant to be a mystery and should never have been revealed. This is just another fine line of Hollywood clichés of gay serial killers which to this point has become homophobic and inexcusable.

On the positive side of this movie, it's great to see the legendary Walter Murch in charge of the sound design and the editing. He's done plenty of collaborations of some of the biggest films in cinema including "The Godfather Trilogy", "Apocalypse Now", and "The English Patient". His specialty is cutting a scene with its sound to follow and it proves effectively in this suspenseful drama. It's probably the best thing about this movie that's worthy of a second look.

The first hour of the movie was incredible and I enjoyed it very well. Still I have my doubts if its highly recommendable. It could be to some extent, however I get better satisfaction watching classic suspense films like "North By Northwest" and the original incarnation of this film Rene Clement's "Purple Noon".
0 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Matt Damon is solid as the eponymous character, and the fascinating execution of this complex tale really works
Screen_Blitz24 March 2017
Anthony Minghella's tale of corruption and deceit feels like a movie made during the Golden Age of Hollywood. With 1950s Europe serving as the backdrop of the story, and the classical jazz soundtrack playing throughout the entirety, it is hard not to feel the nostalgia of the cinema's classical era roaming through this psychological thriller. Minghella takes from the pages of Patricia Highsmith's novel of the same name to orchestrate a compelling, if somewhat flawed tale of a man consumed by corruption and deceit when the things make a horribly wrong turn. The versatile actor masked behind the titular character is Matt Damon who made a household name for himself when it starred with Robin Williams as the eponymous character in 'Good Will Hunting'. What comes about this actor's immersive talent is a performance that works like a charm. Set in the 1950s, this film stars Matt Damon as Tom Ripley, a Manhattan pianist who's approached by Herbert Greenleaf (played by James Rehborn) who believes Ripley is a graduate from Princeton University, seeing a Princeton badge on his tuxedo. He recruits him on a mission to Italy and finds his son Dickie (played by Jude Law), a spoiled millionaire and graduate of Princeton, and persuade him to return home to the U.S. Upon arrival, Ripley comes face-to-face with Dickie and his fiancée Marge (played by Gwyneth Paltrow) and almost immediately befriends. After a few nights of drinking and jazz concerts, his errand becomes difficult when Dickie learns of his intentions. When the things suddenly go horribly wrong, Ripley takes extreme measures to carry out the mission while avoiding the suspicion of Dickie's friend Freddie Miles (played by Phillip Seymour Hoffman).

This film shows clear evidence that Anthony Minghella knows how to craft a fascinating story, even when it falls victim to a lethargic pace. The film spends an almost overwhelming amount of time to establish its premise before the plot finally kicks into gear. Although the setup pays off quite well, the pacing is enough to alienate viewers who are often accustomed to more modern-esque storytelling. But when the plot finally lights its candle, that is when the story generates a wheelhouse of unexpected twists and surprises that elevates the lead character's development. The title character's disintegration of his moral compass becomes the driving force of the story, and becomes the main source of surprises as he goes to shocking measures to deceive everyone into the person he is not. It takes a special actor like Matt Damon to effectively portray the wicked and complex nature of the lead character. His chemistry with Jude Law and Gwyneth Paltrow works fantastically, especially with their performances serving a great support. Law gives a fantastic portrayal as the spoiled, larger-than-life millionaire who wants nothing more than to a luxurious lifestyle. Phillip Seymour and Cate Blanchett also make a charming on screen presence, nothing out of the ordinary. In the account of visual imagery, the production design of 1950s Italy is utter eye candy and serves as an absorbing backdrop of the story's historical era. The jazz music, the vintage interior design of the Italian households both serve the film is sweet visual treat.

The Talented Mr. Ripley is a fine piece of work conducted by Anthony Minghella with a performance by Matt Damon that shines with passion, and a beautifully executed story that tackles on the complexities of its startling eponymous character. Minghella's take on this dark, but fascinating story does not come out its flaws nor does it break the boundaries of any cinematic element, it is finely crafted piece of work that can some can somewhat admire.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A finely crafted and thoroughly entertaining psychodrama/thriller.
Miles Byrne20 March 2017
The Talented Mr. Ripley, adapted from Patricia Highsmith's 1955 novel is a fairly unique and delightfully poignant character study of a young underachiever who is in search of an identity as much as he is of in success. This film delicately explores his relationship with an almost disaffected yet charmingly charismatic playboy and his fiancé, and how Tom Ripley, portrayed by a young, charming and genial Matt Damon. Tom Ridley is a remarkably unique character in the sense that he plays an almost anti-hero character longing for compassion, but is unable come to terms with himself and seems to doomed to constantly hide in the shadows of others until he manages to blot of their shadows with his own. I do not want to give away to actual events of the film as they unfold in a satisfyingly timely manner, relying entirely on Damon's character to scheme, manipulate and impersonate his way to innocence after his relationship with the aforementioned couple takes an interesting term. I can tell you that The Talented Mr. Ripley is a well-made film full of strong performances, interesting sets, and intimate dialogues. It's pacing is relatively slow at times, but during those moments you feel like you are thoroughly engaged with Mr. Ripley and his associates, and the suspense and mystery that comes all the more richly after the fine character developments and the intriguing multitude of emotions the strangely likable yet comparably vile characters(with the exception of the woman) experience. Overall, this film is certainly worth watching and kept my eyes fixed to the screen for the full 130 minutes.
A unique masterpiece
yalierli21 February 2017
I have seen in the past years more than 500 movies. I just saw this movie, and I must admit that I never seen a movie like this. It affected me differently than other movies. most movies don't spend this much time in getting the viewer to know and feel connected to the characters. This movie spends an entire hour getting the viewer to know the characters before the main plot even begins.
Suspenseful Story, Well Acted and Masterfully Directed
Alyssa Black (Aly200)2 February 2017
Academy Award winning director Anthony Minghella once again assembles an all star cast in his adaptation of Patricia Highsmith's bestselling thriller about a duplicitous youth who is sent to fetch a wayward young millionaire from Italy. The story turns darker when the titular Mr. Ripley's numerous lies and secrets begin to surface forcing the young man to resort to deadly methods to hide the treacherous truths.

In the pivotal role of Tom Ripley is an ever charismatic Matt Damon, pulling out all the stops to play such a wicked character who we can't help but be attracted to. Tom Ripley is such an enigma that we never really learn where he is actually from or why he does so many horrible things and Damon maintains the air of a faux gentleman. The actor even took time to learn piano which is a key element to throwing Tom into the narrative when Tom is overheard playing at an elite party where Mr. Herbet Greenleaf hears the young man and assumes that Tom knew his son, Dickie (Tom wears a borrowed Yale jacket which was where Dickie attended college before leaving for Italy) which Tom lies about. Damon even lends his singing chops to a song or two for the film's lighter moments. Throughout the film, Damon manages to play a vast range of emotions from confidence to fearful of discovery to murderously methodical all while sporting a seemingly innocent charisma masking a veil of a youth scared of being discovered for his falsehoods.

The film boasts a talented supporting cast in the likes of Jude Law (Oscar nominated for his effort) as Dickie Greenleaf, the unfortunate target of Ripley's dark ambitions, Gwyenth Paltrow (far less irritating than usual) as Dickie's girlfriend, Marge Sherwood who becomes suspicious of Tom's motives, the late Philip Seymour Hoffman as Dickie's friend, Freddie Miles who gets too close to the truth and pays a steep price, Jack Davenport (most famous for the "Pirates of the Caribbean" trilogy) in an expanded role as Peter Smith-Kingsley, friend to Ripley after Ripley flees his dark actions but is the final casualty by the end of the film and Cate Blanchett as Meredith Logue, a fellow traveler who is also a victim of Ripley's lies but never finds out who Tom really is. Even minor players like the late James Rebhorn as Herbet Greenleaf and Philip Baker-Hall manage to make an impression.

Director Minghella deftly adapts the story with a keen eye as he ramps the tension as Tom Ripley's lies begin to spiral out of control and he must resort to drastic measures to cover his tracks. As Tom's obsession with Dickie grows, we feel nervous and afraid for Dickie as we wonder what Tom will to get what he wants. Even when Tom commits horrible deeds, we fear for the villainous young man wondering if he will get caught. The film also exudes exquisite cinematography of its Italian landscapes that makes the setting a character of its own as the story's characters travel across the country from Venice to Rome and in-between on the canals and seas.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A good amoral drama
Tweekums2 January 2017
Tom Ripley is a bit of a non-entity but also a bit of a chameleon who can make people think he belongs. After the wealthy Herbert Greenleaf mistakenly thinks Tom was a friend of his son Dickie he is given a job… to go to Italy and persuade Dickie to return to New York. He quickly meets Dickie and his girlfriend Marge Sherwood and befriends them. He is honest about why he is there but makes Dickie believe that they share similar interests. Soon he is staying with Dickie and Marge while still being paid by Dickie's father. Eventually Herbert Greenleaf writes to thank Tom for his work but also to let him know it is clear that he has failed in his task and will no longer be paid. At the same time Dickie starts to get tired of Tom's presence. Tom doesn't take this well and strikes Dickie; a struggle ensues and Dickie is killed. Tom manages to hide the death and carries on his life… he also starts playing the part of Dickie; a role he enjoys. Inevitably the deception is hard to maintain; Marge wants to know what happened to Dickie and when a friend of Dickie pays a visit Tom must kill again to protect his secret… a killing the police believe Dickie may have committed.

This was a really enjoyably film; plenty of time is spent introducing the characters and by the time of Dickie's death Tom is the more sympathetic character so it is easy for the viewer to see it as self-defence and hope he gets away with it. Even when he kills again it isn't hard to still hope he gets away with it as this victim was a frightful snob who had always looked down on Tom and people like him… it is only when Marge starts to be emotionally harmed by Tom's actions that sympathy for him starts to wane. The cast does a fine job; Matt Damen is particularly good as Tom Ripley; a character who isn't naturally dynamic but can play the part when needed. Jude Law and Gwyneth Paltrow also impress as Dickie and Marge. The story isn't rushed but nor does it drag and once Dickie has died the tension gradually rises; there is always the possibility that Tom will be exposed, either by the police or somebody who knows Dickie, and each to it looks like he could be exposed there is the feeling that people around him are in danger. Overall I'd definitely recommend this to anybody wanting a good drama set in some beautiful Italian locations.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Moving and captivating
Parker Lewis21 December 2016
This is the 700th user review, and I'm proud to provide my thoughts on The Talented Mr Ripley. So much has been said about it, but Matt Damon really demonstrates his acting chops and shows his range in a complex and ambiguous role where you wonder if the audience is supposed to empathize with him as he seeks to further his lot in life.

If you get a chance, check out to the director's commentary, and it's definitely worth listening to. The denouement in this fine movie was very haunting, as you realize Tom has nowhere to go but eliminate Peter in order to protect himself from being exposed to Meredith. Such is the life that Ripley must now lead.
An Engaging Premise and Outstanding Performances All Around
SquigglyCrunch6 December 2016
The Talented Mr. Ripley follows Tom Ripley as he poses as another person and is sent to another country to convince someone to return home to his father, but things go differently than expected.

The acting is one of the best aspects of the movie. I don't know how Matt Damon got known for action movies, he proves here that he can do drama extremely well. And I've seen it before, this guy knows how to act. Jude Law is very good as well, but even better was Gwyneth Paltrow. She does a fantastic job of showing the shift in her character from the beginning to the end of the film, and while at first she may seem cheesy and overdone, by the end she's quite simply fantastic.

The movie challenges itself on multiple occasions. It throws itself into situations that could only end poorly and it leaves the audience slightly on edge, curious as to how the scenario will play out. It's very good at keeping the story interesting and moving along, and very often an aura of panic washes over the entire film.

If I have but one flaw it's that the movie, despite being filled with panic and intrigue, isn't exactly tense. I'm not entirely sure why, everything was there, but during the scenes where I should have been sitting on the edge of my seat, I found myself relaxed and trying to figure out what's going to happen instead. While this wasn't always the case, I found that it could be, although it didn't affect the movie for me until after finishing it.

Overall The Talented Mr. Ripley is an intriguing dramatic thriller with great performances, an interesting premise and presentation, and a great overall atmosphere. If the movie had been a little more edge-of-your-seat intense I might have liked it more, but regardless it was thoroughly enjoyable. In the end I would definitely recommend this movie.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I've never read the novel
irishm6 September 2016
Having said that, I've read a lot of the other reviews, and many seem to feel the characterization of Ripley in the book is superior to the film version. It sounds like the novel's Ripley was a more proactive kind of a guy: rather than waiting for things to happen to him, he went out and MADE them happen. That approach would seem to make more sense in this kind of drama. The Ripley of the film was almost inert. The only real effort he put into the story line was to learn something about jazz. Opportunistic in only the most passive of ways, he allowed events to wash over him like ocean waves and then only sprang into action when it was absolutely necessary to direct the events himself. This type of character rarely reaches significant levels of success in his chosen field, whether it's brain surgery or identity theft.

I'll admit that I had my doubts about the plot from the start, right from the time Ripley "connected" with Greenleaf Senior over the Princeton jacket. I have a little experience with the "old boy" system and I find it almost impossible to believe that Ripley was able to convincingly present that he was ever at Princeton because I know the kinds of questions that always get asked when an alma mater is being discussed among fresh acquaintances.

I'm one who didn't mind the length of the film, at least; it seemed to want to have a lot to say and I was fine with how long it took to try and tell it. I don't have much of an opinion on Matt Damon one way or the other, but he was nothing special here. Jude Law and Philip Seymour Hoffman turned in the best performances by far. The location shooting was beautiful.

All in all, there was enough here to make me curious about reading the original novel someday, but the film itself is only average.
good job
Kirpianuscus13 August 2016
one of films defined by this simple expression. a good job. almost impeccable. because it is a thriller, a trip in Italy, an useful lesson of psychology and remind of the talent of few admirable actors. Jude Law is perfect in the skin of Mr. Ripley. sophisticated, selfish, profound in a bizarre manner, his character is the picture of a social class. Matt Damon is the inspired choice for the translation of a fundamental transformation step by step. the fascination about a friend, new life style, possibilities as gifts of a status, the seductive flavor of a dangerous game for survive. a film who reminds old fashion thrillers. and who has the great chance to have the perfect cast. one of memorable movies for rhythm, performances and the levels of story. see it !
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Well filmed, but...
John21 July 2016
First, well-done cinematography, set work and costuming. There is a rich sense of time and place in the movie. Second, the fatal flaw of the movie: with all the weaving of characters and plot, when Tom has finished with (or, should I say, continues with) his shenanigans, the viewer is left with the deadly question: so what? Who cares about any of these people, except maybe Marge? And therein lies the missed opportunity. This film should have been written from Marge's point of view, not Tom's. Have her see things clearly, but at the end be smothered by a male-dominated society that believes she's crazy (a la Angelina Jolie's character in "The Changeling"). This movie disappoints.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good amount of suspense
Floated24 July 2016
The Talented Mr. Ripley released in 1999 can be considered a quiet little thriller, without much of a payoff, but loaded with tons of intrigue and psychological provisions. The story, which is adapted from a famous series of novels written by Patricia Highsmith, tells of a man whose life is one big masquerade, bound by immorality and violence, but enriched by the notion that he gets to juggle different personas. Tom Ripley, who is extremely well portrayed by Matt Damon, uses his tongue-in-cheek treatment of the gift of mortality as a tool for survival, taking peoples' lives and filling them with his own.

Starring in the first act, a man named Greenleaf is impressed by Ripley's style, and asks him to go to Italy to retrieve his rebellious son Dickie (Jude Law), who treats his own life like a game of chess. The tip-off: Greenleaf will pay Tom a thousand dollars to retrieve his son. But it is only moments after that we begin to realize that this Princeton student will never make it back home to his father as Ripley promises. In the end, it is well thought out and planned to make a great memorable suspense thriller.
The Talented Mr. Damon.
Python Hyena15 March 2016
The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999): Dir: Anthony Minghella / Cast: Matt Damon, Jude Law, Gwyneth Paltrow, Cate Blanchett, Phillip Seymour Hoffman: Thriller about the climb on the social ladder. His name is Tom Ripley is sent to Rome by a wealthy industrialist to bring back his son Dickie. Tom is able to consume identities while rejecting his own. They get acquainted immediately then he joins Dickie and his girlfriend to the jazz clubs. With a corrupt conclusion the film is well crafted by director Anthony Minghella but way too predictable and laden with clichés. This does not rank with his previous film The English Patient but its identity theme is inviting. Matt Damon delivers a brilliant performance as Ripley who knows not who he is but what he should be. Jude Law is terrific as Dickie whose confidence cannot detect betrayal. Gwyneth Paltrow as Marg is suspicious of Tom and eventually becomes concerned with her own survival. Cate Blanchett seems unnecessary as a vacationer who pops into the movie a few times with nothing to offer. Phillip Seymour Hoffman plays a friend of the Law character who grows suspicious of Mr. Ripley and dies for it. Theme regards personality disorders and the idea of an individual who is unable to be himself because he doesn't know who he is. Damon is perfect for this role as he schemes into the lives of others and bringing talent to Mr. Ripley. Score: 6 ½ / 10
Twizard Rating: 84
goolizap6 March 2016
We all know Matt Damon can act. But if someone were to disagree, you'd have to show them this film. His, along with every single performance in The Talented Mr. Ripley, is top notch. Everything he does is so subtle, yet so calculated, that you believe it all. Or you're not sure what to believe. You see the brood amidst the confidence.

Here, he plays Tom Ripley, a brilliant sociopath who uses his deception skills to fake his wealth. But the thing is, we the audience see every move he makes. It's the other characters who are being tricked.

In fact, Damon is so convincing that it's not until after the film is over when you realize there's nothing to like about his character at all.

Beautifully shot with authentic set design, The Talented Mr. Ripley leads us in the direction of a truly Hitchcockian feature in every way--the experimentation of narrative, the pseudo- protagonist, and even the signature blonde.

You have to applaud this film for keeping the audience on their toes. The story is constantly changing. Resetting its goals. Much like when our brains shift a bit when Janet Leigh dies half way through Psycho. We feel like it should end there. Wouldn't most movies?

Leaving us sitting up in our chairs, it becomes reminiscent of The Master of Suspense, himself. But then, all of a sudden, things change, and it no longer seems that way at all. You realize it keeps avoiding some sort of conclusion. Dancing around it, actually. And usually when films continue on like this, you expect a redeeming ending. However, without giving anything away, we don't get one.

When the movie is constantly showing us its hand, we are left wondering why. Maybe something bigger and better is around the corner. Maybe they're saving the real twist for the very end. The story has so many chances to give us something grand, but they all fall by the wayside.

Director, Anthony Minghella, definitely has the creepy and suspenseful tone down. And he pulls the best performances from his actors. He does a very good job, given the source material. But his the biggest impression he's left here may be how he gets us to look at Damon in a much different way.

Twizard Rating: 84
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the Best Thrillers of All Time
speedball198828 December 2015
The Talented Mr. Ripley, based on the novel of the same name by Patricia Highsmith, has been gloriously adapted to the big screen by one of the greatest directors of the 90s, Anthony Minghella.

Minghella does double duty as director and screenwriter and manges to do so flawlessly. He gets spectacular performances out of the likes of Gwyneth Paltrow, Philip Seymour Hoffman, James Rebhorn, etc. But by far one out of the two best performances in the film comes from Jude Law as Dickie Greenleaf, a spoiled, pompous player living in his own delusions. He received an Academy Award nomination for his role and it was well-deserved.

Now we can transition into the man of the hour: Matt Damon. This might be his finest performance of all time, on par with Good Will Hunting, The Martian, and The Informant. I really feel the emotions churning inside him, whether it be his lust of acceptance or his fear of the unknown. I feel he was unfairly snubbed of an Oscar nomination for his role. Maybe I would slide out Sean Penn for Sweet and Lowdown, just maybe.

Getting to the technical aspects of this movie, one must mention the tragically underrated cinematography by Academy Award winner John Seale, who simply just makes the oceans of Italy look as lush and smooth as it should be. The Oscar-nominated score by Gabriel Yared is subtle and immaculate at the same time. Again, I have to mention the amazing dialogue in this Oscar-nominated script. Minghella really understands his characters and understandably makes some helpful departures from the source material. Kudos to Paramount Pictures and Miramax Films for having the courage to distribute such an intriguingly complicated and thought-provoking film.

The Talented Mr. Ripley truly is one of the best films of 1999. With great direction, acting, dialogue, etc., it is hard to argue with this film. It is quite a shame that Mr. Minghella unfortunately passed away, as his legacy will forever be maintained by this film. Cheers to you Mr. Minghella and to Matt Damon and Jude Law, two of the finest actors working today. Kepp up the great work!
A Memorable Film
Gustavo14 August 2015
I saw this movie quite soon after it was made and kept record in my memory of it being quite fine. Now, about fifteen years later, I saw it again, and honestly, I am impressed for the fact that it was even much better than I remembered. Clearly, to me it is the very best of Minghella, and most surely one of my top ten ever (and I HAVE watched quite a number of films). The music is superb; so are the views of Italy. Also, by 2015, which is when I am writing this review you can delight yourself with a number of impressive actors, many of them in their very beginnings. Matt Damon is excellent. Jude Law is excellent. And so are Gwyneth Paltrow, Cate Blanchett and Jack Davenport. Phillip Seymour Hoffman is OUTSTANDING: I've met people like the character he plays and I sware it is impossible to play this better. This film, is a hundred dollar seat worth movie, and the second half will just keep you tied to the seat no matter what. By the way it is a rather long flick, the kind you wish it were even longer. DO NOT MISS IT.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Why do you blame MrRipley
laixiwen14 July 2015
So many people who have watched this movie think it is Ripley who to blame.BUT I don't think so.As far as I'm concerned ,Dickie is the real murderer.He once gave Ripley hope to climb higher,but before long he abandoned Ripley,leaving him in loss and desperation.It must hurt Ripley deeply.Although Ripley shows a dark side of human nature,what about Dikie?The poor play boy,he never thought about others' feelings.It's his selfish that lead to Ripley's being hurt(mentally),thus lead to other people's death. Don't always blame Ripley,just think what made him that cruel.It's not just simple write or wrong,it's why and how.
Geeky Randy's summary
Geeky Randy1 May 2015
Based on the 1955 novel of the same name by Patricia Highsmith, the first in the Ripley series or "Ripliad". Damon plays the titular character, who is a master imposter that takes full advantage of the random opportunities that cross his path, and makes full use of people's willingness to assume they're always being told the truth. After playing a gig as a substitute pianist at a cocktail party in New York City, Ripley accepts a generous offer from Herbert Greenleaf (Rebhorn) to go to Italy to track down his son Dickie (Law), who is having the time of his life against his father's approval. When things falls into place for Ripley to scheme his way to the easy life, he finds himself fitting right in with Dickie; but when things start to fall apart, blood is shed. For the viewer seeking a conventional plot structure, the movie does have its slow moments; but others will appreciate the psychological unfolding of the story, with the viewer rooting that the villain gets away with it, while also getting swept up in Law's toxic charm just like the regretful characters. Beautiful settings as well.

***½ (out of four)