IMDb > The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Talented Mr. Ripley

The Talented Mr. Ripley More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 70: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Not as great as the English Patient

Author: Hernan Amado (hernan_amado@hotmail.com) from Colombia, Popayán
22 January 2002

When I discovered that this movie was playing in theaters. I didn't care to see it, since it looked uninteresting to me; nevertheless, after finding out it was directed by one of my favorite directors - Anthony Miguella - I rented it as soon as I could. Anthony Miguella's movies are amazing. I really felt over the course of the movie that Anthony Miguella directed it, since it seemed like the superb film "The English Patient". "The talented Mr. Ripley" is rather fascinating. It's very well told and acted. Matt Damon was amazing in portraying Mr. Ripley. He seemed like a very kind and shy man at the beginning of the movie, but after going to Italy he shows his true intentions - The way he always lied was incredible. I never thought a person could be so unscrupulous to ensure his success. You'll certainly see the differences among many personalities in this movie. Matt Damon was amazing; he really acted quite well. He was plausible and mysterious as Mr. Ripley. His performance made me so intrigued to find out what his end would be. I really didn't like Matt Damon's performance in "Good Will Hunting" that much; nevertheless he carries out his role admirably in this movie.

As for Jude Law, I think he is amazing as well. He envelops himself into the role quite well. He'll make you follow this movie without disliking it; his academy award nomination was really well deserved.

As for Gwyneth Paltrow and Cate Blanchett, I think they were completely outstanding; they are both great actresses. Gwyneth Paltrow won an academy award winner for best actress in a leading role in "Shakespeare in love" in 1999. As for Cate Blanchet, she won an academy award nomination for best actress in "Elizabeth" in the same year.

The plot is rather good and interesting, the movie is beautiful visually; it was amazing to see Europe. I really like when Tom Ripley kills Dickie on a boat by hitting him with the oar. It's impressive when Dickie's face starts to bleed. I never thought a shy man like Ripley would become a killer. The way he lies to everybody to avoid the truth being revealed is thoroughly depressing; however, it shows us that lies take us nowhere. This is a good life lesson. Even though it's a good movie, I think the ending was somewhat disappointing and depressing, since I was waiting for something to happen at the end, but nothing happened. It showed us that Mr. Ripley felt Remorse because of all the things he did.

Overall, This is not as great as `The English Patient', but it's beautifully filmed and well done. 7/10

only Gwyneth Paltrow & Jude Law were terrific (better when you saw it twice!)

Author: stefaan_vanbockstal (stefaan_vanbockstal@hotmail.com) from Lochristi, Belgium
6 September 2001

After I saw 'Shakespeare in Love', I was so wondered of Gwyneth Paltrow that I decided to see another movie with her. I chased 'The Talented Mr. Ripley' the film she made after 'Shakespeare...' Gwyneth's performance was good but the story was complicated and confusing. Jude Law was very remarkable in his role, he gave a very good performance maybe the best of all the actors. Also the small part of Cate Blancett who played Queen Elizabeth in the same named movie. Matt Damon's part was good acted but also very confusing and I don't understand some things in the movie.

But I am very grateful that actors like Gwyneth Paltrow, Jude law, Matt Damon... are put in one film together it isn't such a good film but there are always good- and weak movies. But the director, actors and the crew are still very professional people who can make very big & good movies.

--->It's a film that you have to see twice when you will understand it.

Rating: 7/10

Classy, but fatally flawed, adaptation of a great book.

Author: jambosana from London, England
30 August 2001

Those of you who haven't read the book should really do so before watching the film.

How can anybody not have gotten around to reading these books yet? However, I digress.

Why wasn't I bowled over by this? Simple answer. Tom Ripley may have bisexual leanings but he's not hysterical. The key turning point in the book is a premeditated murder but this adaptation portrays it as a crime of passion. The truly chilling aspect of his character in Highsmith's novel is the ease with which he plans and executes this murder, presumably his first.

This threw me completely. I didn't expect the film to be able to get things like Tom's poor opinion of Dickie's Italian but I thought getting the motive right would have been possible.

But for the changes to Tom's character I though the film was actually quite good. Philip Seymour Hoffman was superb as Freddie Miles. The opening sequence was a bravura piece of film-making, expertly edited by Walter Murch. The potentially confusing plot and web of coincidences was handled quite well.

But after the murder I just kept on thinking of how off the mark the film was.

Too bad.

A chilling movie

Author: Addie-7 from New Orleans, LA
19 July 2001

I acknowledge that this was a very good film, with superior acting throughout. And I normally like to view such films three and four times, both to pick up what I might have missed the first time, and to savor again that which I enjoyed in the first viewing. But I confess that once was enough for me on this one -- it made me too uncomfortable to contemplate a second time. Of course, this is probably a testimonial to how good a movie it is, and I'll throw in the towel and concede the point--[there may be a child in my neighborhood who is exceptionally fine at pulling the wings off of living butterflies] -- but I don't ever want to watch it, and I don't want to see this movie ever again.

I shouldn't have expected much.

Author: Chris Brown (chrisbrown6453@hotmail.com) from Fresno, Ca. USA
12 July 2001

The Talented Mr. Ripley tells the story of the often-charismatic Tom Ripley (Matt Damon), whose talents of impersonation, imitation and forgery combine with self-hatred, and tempt him with the possibility of adopting a different identity.

Set in New York in the 1950s, the story introduces "the talented Mr. Ripley" as a modest young man who was hired to play the piano at an exclusive party. A wealthy shipbuilder mistakes him for an old classmate of his son and Princeton graduate, Dickie Greenleaf (Jude Law). Worried and angered by his playboy son's lifestyle of wealth, freedom and diversion in the paradisiacal southern Italy, he urges Tom (and pays him) to travel to Italy and persuade Dickie to return home. Impressed by his own ability to fool the stranger, the talented Mr. Ripley travels to Italy and embarks on a risky journey of persuasion.

The beautiful landscapes (of Venice, Tuscany, the Gulf of Naples, and southern Sicily, among other locations); the friendly girlfriend, Marge Sherwood (Gwyneth Paltrow); and the enviable popularity of the handsome Dickie (as with his "bon vivant" friend Freddie, played by Philip Seymour Hoffman) overwhelm Tom and amuse the viewer. Motivated by a dangerously potent and well-repressed desire to possess the very lifestyle Dickie personifies (a desire which is subtly and shyly represented with scattered innuendoes of homosexuality), Tom realizes that being with Dickie is not as promising a reward as becoming Dickie. Parting from the overly simplistic premise and main character's motto, "it's better to be a fake somebody than a real nobody", The Talented Mr. Ripley focuses more on its main character's abilities than on his need for a different identity; a choice which does not allow for a fuller development of this potentially intriguing character.

Otherwise, the film successfully transmits the lifestyle Tom longs for, as a result of the better-defined character of Dickie, and of the desirability the actor Jude Law effectively projects.

Intriguing psychological study...stunning location photography...

Author: Neil Doyle from U.S.A.
3 July 2001

Patricia Highsmith was fortunate to have Alfred Hitchcock adapt her "Strangers on a Train" for the screen--and alas, she would have been equally fortunate had Hitchcock tackled "The Talented Mr. Ripley". He would have made more sense of the proceedings--and given it the kind of pace that would have heightened the suspense.

But that's not to say that the film is a failure--not by any means. There are two fascinating central performances by Jude Law and Matt Damon. Unfortunately, there is a highly unsatisfactory performance by a miscast Gwyneth Paltrow. But that is not much of a flaw in this case because the film revolves entirely about the behavior of Damon and Law. It is their relationship with its homoerotic overtones that supplies the main interest and keeps the film from lagging before it reaches a rather unsatisfactory ending.

The Italian locations are breathtaking in color. All in all, an interesting film but it needed that Hitchcock touch.

Vulgarity and strength

Author: Manuel Rivera from Berlin, Germany
1 June 2001

Unfortunately, this movie lacks any subtlety in handling its main character. While in the book (and even in the French 1960-version) Ripley is the great enigma of 'emptiness', the 'man without character' and, therefore, one of the most interesting criminals in literature history (a more satiric version, perhaps, of Camus's "Stranger"), the character that offer us Minghella and the (miscast) Matt Damon is a simple immature, over-timid homosexual, who would be a nice guy if he was 'identical' with himself. "If you feel something, be consequent with it; if not, you will cause harm to others and to yourself" - that seems to be the flat morality of this in other aspects still brilliant movie. Brilliant, because it shows a BEAUTIFUL camera work and is able to preserve enough thrilling moments from Highsmith's novel to keep us 'breathless', sometimes. Nevertheless, I found the very handsome and charismatic Jude Law the much more 'unsettling' character than Matt Damon's Ripley, HE really has a indifference and coldness that is as 'profoundly superficial' as I expected (in vain) Matt Damon to be. In this respect, the cast is of course better than in the French movie where Alain Delon gives a stunning performance but without convincing that he aspires to be the OTHER, aspect that becomes completely clear under this constellation. - 5 out of 10.

It's clever, it's beautiful, how come you dislike it so much towards the end?

Author: Saaska P
3 May 2001

Contains spoilers

"Some are loved by gods, others hated. Of those who inspire hatred of gods, some manage to live with it." Minghella is a great director. He made Damon play that creepy Ripley chap so convincingly, his craving so strongly portrayed, I could hardly believe it, remembering Damon's disastrous performance as the Good Will Hunting. He managed to make Paltrow look just a little bit overdone, which is a remarkable achievement. Much has been made of Jude Law's performance (oscar included), and though I really failed to see anything noteworthy, he was alright.

Hoffman is brilliant as Freddy. Italian footage is spectacular. Camera is excellent.

Yet... half an hour before the end I hated the film so intensely, I was almost surprised to find myself hating it even more in the 30 minutes that followed.

Why? It is abominably slow. And all the passion is spent on painting the psychological background for the murder in the first part of the film, and none is left even to try to make it convincing or just plain logical. Halfway into the movie you become absolutely sure that Ripley will kill Dickie, yet when he finally does it, you can't believe it. Ripley escapes, each time by a margin narrowing so rapidly as to become negative by the end.

Holds up very well on video.

Author: brandon sites (bigpappa1@spinfinder.com) from USA
28 June 2000

Okay, I have already reviewed this film once, but I felt it necassary to add additional comments after watching it on video. Unlike American Beauty which didn't play up as well on a TV screen, this remains just as creepy and effective. As I said before it is very well acted by all involved, especailly Matt Damon and Jude Law. There is one thing that puzzles me though. Why the heck didn't Damon get an Academy Award Nomination for his brillant performance, same thing applies to the brillant direction. And I still can't believe people are still giving this film low marks like 1-5 and saying the direction is awful. Everything about this film is professional. It's score is very effective, the cinematography is beautiful and easy on the eyes. The characterizations are rich and very well done. The costumes are terrific and the ending is a shocker. Even the opening title sequence is brillant. This is my favorite film of 1999 and one of my favorites of all time. I just can not stress enough how good this film is.

Very Under-rated.

Author: stirred_mind from New Zealand
2 June 2000

I have seen reviews of this film and people give it 5/10 and 3/10. It is just because they couldn't understand the film. I, myself found it intriguing and my eyes were glued the the screen. The story is amazing, the direction is fabulous and the acting is excellent. The story kept my ass glued to my seat the whole time, with no intention of getting up.

In short, The Talented Mr. Ripley is the most intelligent thriller of 1999.