IMDb > The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Talented Mr. Ripley

The Talented Mr. Ripley More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 71: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

The Talented Mr.Everyone involved in this film

Author: rhysowen55 from United Kingdom
25 February 2014

Just one of those films where every actor (with any dialogue) is given a three dimensional character and plenty of room to show off their acting chops. It's been described as 'a powerhouse of young talent' it certainly was that, with the opening credits listing what is soon to be the cream of Hollywood's talent. Although the film is moderately lauded by those who have seen it and perfect in nearly every aspect, it is not regarded as the classic it should be. Taking many successful risks, for example casting Matt Damon in the psychopathic role he plays is certainly over looked, even though he is regarded the 'nice guy' of Hollywood it is shocking how well he pulls it off. Still giving the role a lot of charisma and empathy. Watch it!

Tries to be too clever

Author: Ben Allen from London, England
27 February 2000

This is only the second film I have ever seen in a cinema that I have been tempted to walk out of. The crying shame about The Talented Mr Ripley is that the first hour is so good. The plot slowly develops, and watching Ripley's obsession with Dickie emerge is fascinating.

The acting from all four main actors (Damon, Law, Paltrow, Blanchett) is impeccable, with Jude Law in particular playing his role extremely well.

(spoiler) Once Ripley is a wanted man, the rest of the film is spent waiting for him to be caught. I counted SIX possible places where the film could have had a satisfactory ending, but the over-indulgent screenplay chooses to work through all of them. This makes the film about an hour too long (there were cheers in the cinema when it ended). My recommendation would be to go see this film, watch the first 90 minutes or so, which are great, and then leave, inventing your own ending.

Good Film...

Author: nama chakravorty from India
16 January 2011

'The Talented Mr. Ripley', an adaptation of the Patricia Highsmith 1955 novel of the same name, directed by Anthony Minghella, is a good film. The Oscar-Winning Late Filmmaker handles this cruel story with manners, however his writing towards the finale is a complete give-away.

'The Talented Mr. Ripley' is a twisted and disturbing story, of Tom Ripley, a young man struggling to make a living in 1950s New York City. He is maybe, the most believable liar, who goes full throttle after things get weird for him. He kills people. He lives on others names. In short, amongst the biggest villains human-beings have seen on Screen ever.

The film has a rock-solid first-hour, and keeps it's momentum high, but the final 25-30 minutes are not convincing. Anthony Minghella's adapted screenplay is mostly captivating, how one truly wishes if it had a more convincing culmination. As a director, Anthony Minghella wonderfully captures Mr. Ripley's journey. He makes sure that in each frame his character is felt and talked about. John Seale's Cinematography is striking. Walter Murch's Editing is good.

Performance-Wise: Matt Damon is incredible as Mr. Ripley. This performance ranks amongst his finest efforts. Gwyneth Paltrow is excellent. Jude Law is super-efficient, while Philip Seymour Hoffman doesn't impress much. Cate Blanchett leaves a mark. Jack Davenport is passable. Philip Baker Hall is terrific in a tiny role.

On the whole, A Good Film, that offers thrills and makes a memorable character.

Good and bad

Author: mydelsol7 from Raleigh, NC United States
8 December 2005

This movie had great cinematography, superb acting and interesting ideas, but the pacing seemed off and it dragged quit a lot in places. I loved certain parts, but the over all structure of the movie felt weak. I know this is more of a character movie but the plot had almost no momentum at all which lead to a friend I was seeing the movie with to ask me "If I go to the bathroom do you think anything might actually happen...?" While every actor did fine job, Matt Damon was particular good, I had not thought him a very good actor before this picture and he rarely lives up to his talent afterwards. I think I may watch it again and would recommend someone else watching it as it is a challenging picture.

Good acting, great cinematography but the story lacked

Author: bauman from Vancouver, BC
14 November 2000

Possible spoiler at the tail end of my comments.

Did you ever see that episode of Frasier where he lies to his date and it goes from bad to worse and then he really starts lying to save the situation but it only makes it worse then ....

I hate stories that rely on this tactic to explain behaviour, build suspense or otherwise tell a story. This movie heavily uses the spiraling lie tactic. The movie is very slow to start, has fabulous scenery, good acting and great cinematography. The spiraling lies and an improbable story full of holes left me very disappointed.

I did love the ending. On the stern of the ship after Tom has kissed Meredith (Cate Blanchett), who does she look at and smile to just before the scene ends? That and the closet lurker really left me thinking about the possibilities.

Total flatline...

Author: Beerdrinking Dog (beerdrinking_dog@zonnet.nl) from The Netherlands
10 December 2000

(SPOILERS, but hey, who cares, you don't want to watch this piece of crap anyway! Nothing much to 'spoil' there...)

Near the end of this film, I found myself watching the digital seconds on my VCR ticking away, instead of looking at the screen. Not that I was missing much, nothing was going on anyway. Here's a spoiler for ya: nothing even remotely exciting happens in this film!!!

Three words to some up one of the many reasons this movie doesn't make any sence: Dickie's...body...where????? Where did our little Tom hide a 6'3 body out in the open sea (don't tell me he dropped into the water, duh...) without it ever being found. Oh, the boat they are in is found, but the body isn't. Like, what, did he eat it? Now that would have added something to the story wouldn't it?

To sum things up: Definatly THE most boring film I saw this year. The only people who should watch this are those who have NEVER enjoyed a single movie in their entire lives. They sure as hell won't be disappointed in this one!

2 out of 10 (and I'm being generous here...)

..a thrilling drama all around..

Author: fimimix from United States
29 July 2006

Some of the reviews written here are so poetic and eloquently defining, there is not much left to write - except to repudiate those snide comments some people posted. They were not able to grasp the many-layered complexities of "The Talented Mr. Ripley" - I've watched it at least six times and still feel uncertain of my opinions, that I've misunderstood some of it. Although it was released in 1999, it is definitely like one of the great movies that were made in the '60s-'70s era. Nothing was left-out to make it into the gripping, totally convincing film it is. The cinematography was stunning, as was the lighting. Each character was costumed as they should have been for every scene. I loved the way each scene melted into the next, making a complete whole. Anthony Mingella knew exactly what he wanted and got it with the cooperation of every actor/actress, right down to the extras and bit-players. Every character was completely developed. Frankly, I can't imagine anyone else playing the roles as they were presented, and most of them I was not familiar with. I saw this film before "Good Will Hunting" (liked it, too), and see the brilliance of Matt Damon's multi-faceted acting. I also enjoyed both of "the Bourne" movies, hoping he isn't stuck in that kind of role forever. I sincerely hope there are many writers busy scripting stories for him, although I think "Ocean's Eleven" was a waste for him.

I'm sure Minghella realized he almost ruined this sumptuous film by considering Tom Cruise as Ripley - Yuck !! Gwenyth Paltrow was perfect for her role (see "Great Expectations"), too, her facial expressions and tone of voice right on pitch for every emotion. Cate Blanchett is another jewel in this crown, proving there IS great talent there - her timing was sublime with just the right touch of wanting to believe Ripley's saga, but just enough disbelief to make it convincing. One is certain, had the film continued, she would have seen the entire misery. Phillip S. Hoffman was truly a revelation; my first opinion that he was a homophobe - making several snide remarks to Ripley - but, the scene at the piano when he is looking for "Rickie", with his wrist so risquely bent, gives an entirely different characteristic to his role. (See "Red Dragon"). I'm not familiar with Jack Davenport, but what a revealing, under-played gay-man he delivered; he may have been the only one to understand Ripley's torment, much to his undoing. Alessandro Fabrizi as the detective who confronts Ripley in Venice was just as intense as he should have been (see "Hannibal"). What more to say about the skill from all of the other actors/actresses? - applause, please.

As for Jude Law, he should have been that physically beautiful in "Midngiht in the Garden of Good and Evil", in which he played an openly-sinister gay hustler. His facial expression to the perception of Ripley's infatuation for him during the bathtub "chess-game" was transparent. I agree he should have been nominated for best supporting-actor....actually everyone in the film should have won one. This movie is flawless - those people who panned it because of the gay theme don't know too much about anyone other than themselves. It is tragic they don't realize there are so many tortured people like Ripley - perhaps minus the violence - because they have no perception of the human psyche.

No one mentioned Ripley's agony of leaving his beautiful piano behind - pianos were vital to three scenes, opening the movie with that wonderful theme. Some reviewers caught the many personalities Ripley suffered through-out his entire life, and I agree his New York persona should have been expanded - another ten minutes added to the film would matter not, entrancing as it is.

The ending of the movie leaves me completely drained, because it is obvious Ripley would have to continue his tragic behavior.....he didn't have to worry about money anymore, although he couldn't live "Rickie's" life, although IT too was deeply-flawed psychosomatic. Matt Damon's portrayal was magnificent; I can't think of one other actor through the decades I've been watching movies who could bring more to this role.....not one.

AS a performer, I can also easily adjust to radical changes in my life, very similar to Ripley - yet, I can hardly kill a fly. My age has shown me that I am acting from one scene to the next, with no damage to psyche nor hurting another being. There are millions just like us - they just don't realize it. It's not bad - each day is different, adding its own magic to a very good life. People who really study this movie will recognize a little of themselves in it -

"The Talented Mr. Ripley" should be at the top of the list for IMDb's best movies - I'm waiting for another.....

Read the book!

Author: Maciste_Brother from the rock
22 November 2000

The book is great. It's one of my favorite books ever. The film, on the other hand, is amazingly insipid and bad! When I heard Damon would play Ripley, I knew this production was doomed. But I didn't expect it to be this bad. The actors go around and act very showy. Except for Law (and even he is guilty of some showy acting), all the actors here are near amateurish. Speaking Italian and moving one's arms or hair about shouldn't be considered as acting. Damon is miscast. He's way too stiff for a character that's supposed to be a chameleon. Paltrow is forgettable and Hoffman plays yet another effeminate slimy character. Talk about typecasting.

What's really unforgivable about the script (written by the overrated director) is that it completely forgoes every subtle details from the book and comes up with many of its own, and none of them work! The addition of the Jazz music stuff is totally WRONG! I guess Minghella's idea of Italy in the late 50s, early 60s is clouded with images of Chet Baker roaming the Italian countryside and spreading amore. Yep, Minghella is a true visionary. The film is so bleeding obvious. That silly scene when Ripley drives through the narrow street full of mirrors. Very laughable. Yes, we get the point!!! Every point or detail comes across a mile away, so much so that the film might give the audience the false impression that they have psychic powers. We know, for example, that the Blanchett character, introduced at the beginning of the movie, will return later on only complicate things. And the soundtrack, at times, is totally inappropriate. Whimsical when it shouldn't be. The film goes on for too long and in all sorts of pointless directions. There are too many boring characters populating the landscape (many that weren't in the book). This film is bad! Really bad!

Apparently, Minghella's son told his father that the Ripley novel was his favorite. Mr. Minghella then proceeded to direct it as a favor of sorts to his son. Well, the director did achieve what he set out to do: Talented Mr. Ripley, with its Hitchcock aspirations, is a film strictly made for 12 year olds!

A poor, bloated adaptation, miscast and misdirected...

Author: cgilman from Toluca Lake, California
28 December 1999

Having been a fan of the Ripley books for some years, I was hopeful that at last someone had made at least a watchable adaptation of the most intriguing sociopath in modern literature. So much for hope...

There was no point to the silly sub-plots, additional characters and various 'stuff' the film makers added to Highsmith's exceptionally elegant and sparse story. Perhaps someone felt they had to 'improve' on Highsmith (yikes!) in order to justify their paycheck. The effect is disastrous, making an interminable film longer than it needs to be. Worse, now no one can have a whack at it again for 20 years or so!

Matt Damon seems like he was willing to perform, but slid into being boring instead of being understated. The characterization of Dickie as a playboy is unfortunate, but at least Jude Law shows signs of life. Miss Paltrow's Marge is far too knowing, rather than puppet-like. We are deprived of the uncomfortable sensation we feel in the book when she succumbs to Ripley's story. Cate Blanchett does as best she can, with a character that never existed in print and isn't even needed for the film.

Ripley is far more subtle than the over-baked re-telling given it by Minghella and Co. For example, why start him off living in abject poverty? Highsmith smartly had him already toying with an underground career when Mr. Greenleaf pursues him, knowing that he went to school with Dickie. The Highsmith setup makes for a much more interesting 'acquaintance becomes a devil and takes over your life' dynamic. Further bad choices are made concerning the coup de grace and ensuing action. The demise of Dickie, THE CENTRAL MOMENT OF THE STORY, is awkwardly contrived, seeming to come from nowhere and feeling out of place rather than organic and plausible. Perhaps this is the consequence of the bad plot leads going before, and poor filmmaking choices that leave the film's texture uneven.

Read the book instead.

A finely crafted and thoroughly entertaining psychodrama/thriller.

Author: Miles Byrne
20 March 2017

The Talented Mr. Ripley, adapted from Patricia Highsmith's 1955 novel is a fairly unique and delightfully poignant character study of a young underachiever who is in search of an identity as much as he is of in success. This film delicately explores his relationship with an almost disaffected yet charmingly charismatic playboy and his fiancé, and how Tom Ripley, portrayed by a young, charming and genial Matt Damon. Tom Ridley is a remarkably unique character in the sense that he plays an almost anti-hero character longing for compassion, but is unable come to terms with himself and seems to doomed to constantly hide in the shadows of others until he manages to blot of their shadows with his own. I do not want to give away to actual events of the film as they unfold in a satisfyingly timely manner, relying entirely on Damon's character to scheme, manipulate and impersonate his way to innocence after his relationship with the aforementioned couple takes an interesting term. I can tell you that The Talented Mr. Ripley is a well-made film full of strong performances, interesting sets, and intimate dialogues. It's pacing is relatively slow at times, but during those moments you feel like you are thoroughly engaged with Mr. Ripley and his associates, and the suspense and mystery that comes all the more richly after the fine character developments and the intriguing multitude of emotions the strangely likable yet comparably vile characters(with the exception of the woman) experience. Overall, this film is certainly worth watching and kept my eyes fixed to the screen for the full 130 minutes.