IMDb > The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Talented Mr. Ripley

The Talented Mr. Ripley More at IMDbPro »

Page 12 of 70: [Prev][7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [Next]

Good Movie

Author: Pikchar from India
10 August 2001

I don't usually like Gwenyth Paltrow in any film, but I was pleasantly surprised with her performance in this one. She easily comes out as the best actor in this film, though there are stellar performances from both Jude Law and Matt Damon. The characterisation is perfect, it's not really necessary that you like the characters. Jude Law's character was the most well developed of them all. And the atmosphere created by the director is almost perfect - especially both boat scenes and the chess scene. Excellent! I did however feel that the movie was a bit long and dragged a bit in the end. Great music, sets, cinematography, costumes and production design!

One of the best films of 1999

Author: sherlock-14 from Mumbai, India
15 April 2001

This has to be one of the creepiest films I have ever seen.The brilliant thing about Tom Ripley is that he appears so normal-he is lonely,quiet,intelligent, but yet he is capable of such violence.And that is what makes this movie terrific-Minghella provides no justification for Tom's actions-he is not a stereotypical psychotic.Blanchett was terrific and so lovely.Jude Law was great.

Great film,deserved some Oscars and Matt Damon's version of "My Funny Valentine"has to be the best version of the song.I Loved the English Patient and I certainly love Ripley and i think Minghella is a stunning filmmaker.

How something as ordinary as American Beauty (which i thought was shallow and pretentious) can win anything shocks me.the only thing good about Beauty was Spacey and the excellent music score of Thomas Newman who got ignored again...

Of course ripley requires the viewer to think ,so be warned!!!!!

This plot sounds familiar....

Author: Alpha Male from Eugene, OR
13 April 2001

In fact, isn't this just "Weekend at Bernies''" as it might have been

written by D.H. Lawrence?

Nothing original here

Author: maitreg (maitreg@maitreg.com) from Minnesota
4 April 2001

Another "Inject the Psychopath into the Daily Lives of Strangers" movie. The theme hasn't been original since "Fatal Attraction, 1987" and "Hand That Rocks the Cradle, 1992", both of which are much better than this. Tom Ripley (Matt Damon, miscast badly) has a knack for imitating people. He pretends to be the friend of a rich Ivy League student, Dickie Greenleaf (Jude Law), when he meets his father, Herbert (James Rebhorn). His father sends the supposed friend of his son to retrieve him from Italy and his girlfriend, Marge (Gwyneth Paltrow). No, that doesn't make sense. And it doesn't make sense when you watch it either. Stupid story, no logic behind it at all. Good acting by everyone except Damon. Jude Law is fantastic. Highly overrated movie.

My take

Author: JPhish from Canada
2 February 2001

An engaging character study of a compulsively deceitful (and possibly high-functioning autistic?) con-man who oscillates between plans to murder a man and assume his identity (whose deceit is much more subtle i.e. charm), and falling madly in love and growing old with self-same potential victim/doppelgangee. It's the quintessential 'why-isn't-it-already-a-classic' boy meets boy, boy kills boy, boy becomes boy story; a truly original and charming film.

Beautiful art direction,above average acting, so-so plot.

Author: doghouse-8
23 January 2001

This movie was beautifully filmed. I loved the sets and the location scenery was gorgeous. Many reviewers have mentioned Jude Law as the "star" of the show, and he was excellent. However, to me, Matt Damon's portrayal carried the movie. His expressions during moments of reflection were wonderful. He really seemed to live this character, which helped me through some of the sillier plot points. I had received many mixed reviews about this film, so I will admit, my expectations weren't that high. It is a little on the long side, and some of the scenes near the end are almost laughably unbelievable. (The fault of the novel, I think). But overall, I found it very watchable. My husband even liked it and he usually never enjoys this type of movie. Much better than "The English Patient" which I thought was one of the most overrated and boring movies I have ever seen.

Overrated

Author: m_pather from London, England
23 January 2001

I saw this film on video following the excellent reviews it received. I was rather disappointed as I felt that it was overrated. Whilst the acting performances, direction and cinematography were faultless,the film itself was very slow - moving and drawn out. Despite the fact that several central characters were murdered, I found it impossible to establish any emotional connection with any of them and did not really care whether they lived or died. The fact that Matt Damon was pretending to be Jude Law's character without other characters in the film noticing also seemed a bit ludicrous as the two look nothing alike!

Very good, but they forgot to add an ending

Author: harry-77 (preston8@onramp.net) from Dallas, Texas
21 January 2001

I was engrossed in this film up until the final five minutes. When men Tom Ripley is attracted to don't return his advances,he murders them, and gets away with it... but then...what happens to him? I plan to get the book to find out, maybe... but the film definitely needed a final concluding scene that lets us know Mr. Ripley may have been very clever, but he still is a murderer who should be brought to justice to wrap up the story. I felt cheated because I wanted to know what happens to him. We all want to know "what happens" to the character in a film - and this one doesn't. A big disappointment, as too many contemporary films turn out to be these days.

A penetrating, brilliant shivering film, that made me THINK

Author: vn13523 from Israel
9 January 2001

Who are you, Mr. Ripley? Why do you do the things you do? And what exactly do you want? I think the reason this film is so bothering, is that Ripley's problems concern each one of us. We want to be someone else. Life is always somewhere else. We try to reach this far place, but when we get there, it's not so charming as it was, and the long awaited treasure seems to move mysteriously to a new far place. And so, 'each man kills the thing he loves'. Perhaps the homosexual feels this problem - which concerns straight like me as well - more clearly, because his most elementary borders are fluid. He can be anything - but than he kills the thing he become, the thing he loved. (Forgive me my English and my being too philosophical, due to language problems).

Superb Philip Seymour Hoffman

Author: Signet from Baltimore
4 January 2001

Among the many compelling reasons to see this wonderful film is the incisively drawn and perfectly acted performance of Philip Seymour Hoffman. His bloated upper-class tiger is one of the most scarifying figures in the whole film, with his narrow eyes seeing more than they should see, his unconcealed snobbery and cruelty ever-vigilant for a victim. This was an award-worthy performance and adds to this amazing character actor's string of astonishing credits and, for me, was the most elegant piece of acting in the movie, right down to Hoffman's gravelly, drawling voice and his display of the eating habits of the unmitigated sensualist.