IMDb > The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Talented Mr. Ripley

The Talented Mr. Ripley More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 68: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Spooky and Suspenseful!!

Author: Shiv from St. Louis, MO
27 August 2002

The film has a spooky atmosphere throughout. Although I agree that Matt Damon gives one of his best performances, I am not too fond of his character. To assume the point of view of the bad guy in a movie, is very daring and difficult, but its done beautifully in this film. I give it a 7/10. Mostly, it was the acting and suspense that kept me watching til the end. The ending, however, was a bit disappointing because it felt as if the movie lacked a real conclusion. So, it is up to the audience to imagine what might happen to Tom Ripley in the end.

Some people just don't get it

Author: Dark Eye from London, England
25 August 2002

This is a brilliant movie, and I personally don't understand why some reviewers here loathed it so much. The film has great acting, deliciously dark & narcisistic characters, and a plot that at times reminded me of Hitchcock. It is a story of a great talent born out of self-hate.

As for the casts, they did a great job. Jude Law is great being an obnoxious rich boy. Cate Blanchett, while she did not have much onscreen time, she is as lovely as ever. I've always viewed Matt Damon as the more talented actor than his other "creative" counterpart, Ben Affleck. In the beginning of the story, Mr. Ripley is a social mess, always nervous around people, and hates himself. However at the end of the film, he is the epitome of moral grayness, a dangerous mix of being a sociopath and conflicting emotions. He becomes both repulsive and pathetically sad at the same time. Hoooboy, not good.

As for people hating this movie, I often hear complaints regarding the character Mr Ripley; about how bad, wacko, and crazy he is and that the movie is terrible because of him. Well I always say to these people: what is wrong with you?? It is like having an unstable element - much like the excitement of waiting for a deadly fire underneath the shimmering surface to explode - that makes Talented Mr Ripley worth watching. Another word, this movie is nothing less than a A+ grade psychological thriller. Did those who criticized this movie saw their own insecurities within Mr Ripley and in turn becomes uncomfortable to fully appreciate its finer points? Perhaps, I don't know for sure.

I loved The English Patient with its melachonly, ambient middle-eastern atmosphere, and now Anthony Minghella has taken us inside one person's dark & disturbing mind and his pathetic effort to cover his own identity ... at all costs. Highly recommended for the intelligent viewers.

Exquisite Garbage

Author: JasonS-5 from Baltimore, MD
19 August 2002

This movie is so well-done, so beautifully acted, so well-filmed, with such wonderful scenery, you can almost excuse the fact that everyone in the movie is nasty, shallow, and unsympathetic.

Watching this movie, you get the uncomfortable sensation of watching a beautifully groomed, pure-bred dog relieving itself on your shoes.

I saw this movie the day it opened, in the theatre. I hated it with a passion, it was depressing, claustrophobic, and LONG. Nevertheless, I felt drawn to it because it was so well-crafted. I'd reccomend it to any film-students anxious to learn their craft, but to no one else.

Oh the tangled webs we weave...

Author: ttttttara from Michigan
18 July 2002

I had to watch it a couple times before I really liked it. It really is an unusual and wonderful movie. ***SEMI-SPOILER***

I love Ripley's line, "I always thought it would be better to be a fake somebody than a real nobody." That line really sums up all of Ripley's feelings and the plot of this movie - Ripley's struggle with accepting himself. Ripley believes himself to be a nobody and hides all of his feelings and his true self from everyone. By a twist of fate, he is temporarily accepted into Dickie's world of class and luxury; he begins to feel safe and open when an argument arises and Dickie tells him what he really thinks about him...revealing Ripley's worst fears out in the open.

You watch as the disturbing story unfolds from there...you can sympathize with Ripley up until a certain point in which his true character shows - a lost, insecure and ill-fated young man.

I for on, enjoyed it thoroughly.

Author: (cajed_boy) from Orlando, Florida
18 March 2002

I was reading past comments on this movie and I'd like to agree with someone who said you either really love it or really hate it. I really loved it. In fact, so far I've seen it 5 times and now own it. It is a long movie and I can see how some people can find it boring. I've read all 5 books by Patricia Highsmith and loved them all. The character Tom Ripley intriques me. I like to think of the Talented Mr. Ripley movie as a totally different story all together since it's so different from the book's version. IMDB doesn't recommend commenting on other commentors but I'd just like to add that you shouldn't compare this movie to modern times as the 50's were very different.

I thought this movie was superb, one of my favorites. The soundtrack is brilliant. I can't wait for Ripley's Game (with John Malkovitch) to come out in October and Ripley Underground also 2002.

If you've read Ripley's Game there's also a German Film made in the 70s with Dennis Hopper as Ripley and Bruno Ganz as Jonathan. The American Friend. If you're totally disturbed by movie stories being different than book stories I wouldn't recommend it but I personally love any Ripley movie, I'm such a fan of him. (:

excellent

Author: TuesdayNight from California
18 March 2002

Hated this movie the first time I saw it, loved it the second time. Complex characters, surprising plot twists, great suspense, beautiful settings.

Spoilers: Tom's slide into madness and violence is fascinating (and convincing). Thrilling to watch his web of lies become more and more tangled. The scenes at the Opera and at the Rome cafe were nailbiters.

Philip Seymour Hoffman was brilliant. His character is fabulously awful. "How's the peeping Tommy?" I would rent this movie again just for the 15 minutes he is on screen.

Matt Damon rules the screen 10/10

Author: The_Wood from United States
31 January 2002

One of the best films of 99, The Talented Mr. Ripley is about as smart and terrifying as a thriller can be. Matt Damon leads an all star cast, with fine performances by everyone, but especially Jude Law, and of course Damon. Wickedly evil, and unforgettable. Hitchcock would have loved this movie.

A splendid masterpiece!

Author: mattymatt4ever from Jersey City, NJ
27 January 2002

This is one of the best thrillers ever made! The cinematography alone is breathtaking. The performances are brilliant. Matt Damon delivers his greatest performance; one that should languish any potential of him becoming just another Hollywood pretty boy. He had to lose weight, making him virtually anhorexic, for the role so obviously he was up to the challenge. And Damon brings such a subtle creepiness to the character of Tom Ripley. Jude Law is also terrific, in a relatively small role. His American accent is thoroughly convincing. Also worth mentioning is Cate Blanchett in another relatively small role. She also had to fake an American accent, which she did well this time--she screwed up in "Pushing Tin."

The score is memorable and perfectly contributes to the suspense. The music, the cinematography and the acting all combine to create some truly bone-chilling scenes. As Roger Ebert said, this is the kind of film that would make Alfred Hitchcock proud.

Some may consider the film slow and dragging. Even though the movie's long, I didn't think it was overlong. I wasn't bored for one minute. The characters are so engaging that I didn't even feel tempted to look at my watch. Audiences have a phobia of character development nowadays. That's why so many movies are cut to an hour and thirty to an hour and forty minutes. It's the development of the characters that help develop the suspense. Even though we never know for sure what Ripley's motivations are for killing people, we get a sense of the jealousy, insecurity and loneliness he feels. Not saying that he's justified for his actions, but Minghella allows us to really enter his mind without the use of narration.

The film gets more and more intriguing as it gets along. This is a REAL edge-of-your-seat thriller. The ending doesn't contain any plot twists or any genuine surprises, but I wasn't hoping for one. Minghella pretty much leaves things open-ended. I know there have been a couple other movies made (I haven't seen them yet) with the character of Tom Ripley, inspired by Patricia Highsmith's novels. Maybe soon there will be another.

My score: 9 (out of 10)

Outstanding but chilling

Author: biwill71 from Newcastle, Australia
14 January 2002

The Mysterious Yearning Secretive Sad Lonely Troubled Confused Loving Musical Gifted Intelligent Beautiful Tender Sensitive Haunted Passionate Talented Mr. Ripley, is the alternative title for this movie, and the way the movie begins and ends with the same view of its principal character, Tom Ripley, invites empathy, rather than revulsion. I watched this movie having seen a couple of reviews of it, but I had no idea really what I was in for. It is the finest thriller I've seen in a long while, superbly filmed, wonderfully acted, perfectly staged. But it is also deeply disturbing. It shook me up so much that I felt compelled to go out and speak to someone I knew had also watched the film. Then a few days later I watched it again. It bears more than one viewing: if you can cope!

Tom Ripley is portrayed as a highly-talented sociopath, but also gay (something which is consistently ignored in reviews of this film). His growing fixation with (or perhaps Ripley would see it as devotion) the flighty but irresistible Dickie Greenleaf (a superb performance from the always excellent Jude Law), makes occasionally for uncomfortable viewing, and (FIRST SPOILER) the horror of the row-boat scene is all the more gripping and emotionally draining because of it. Enmeshed in a web of lies of his own creation, (SECOND SPOILER) Tom kills off the two men whom he seems most attached emotionally attached to.

One of the things I liked about this film, is that (or maybe I missed it) we are not given the slightest indication of how the talented Tom Ripley became this monstrous scheming sociopath. The mystery is preserved by the superb performance of Matt Damon, which I don't believe has received the recognition it deserved. I would give this movie 9 stars and if anyone tells you that they didn't like this film, don't take anymore notice of them.

So Much Talent

Author: johnprestonevans from Toronto, Canada
27 December 2001

The Talented Mr. Ripley is a splendid showcase of young actors in a richly dark story of obsession, murder and talent. Director Anthony Mingela dives deep into the disturbed phsyche of Tom Ripley and fleshes out a dreamy 1960's Italian landscape in this twisting tale. Matt Damon plays Ripley, who seemingly starts off as an innocent outsider, with an everyday lower class life in the big city. By chance, he meets a wealthy American industrialist who mistakes him for a wealthy prep school graduate and friend of his elusive playboy son Dickie. Ripley is sent on a mission to bring Dickie back from his lazy, party-all-the-time subsidized lifestyle in Italy. Jude Law is brilliant as Dickie - a spoiled ray of sunshine who carelessly spends his father's money on boats, seaside vista homes and expensive Italian clothes. His charm and charisma quickely attract the friendship of men - including Ripley, and the desire of women. His cheerful and ignorant girlfriend Marge is wonderfully played by Gweneth Paltrow. Ripley begins to obsess over Dickie and his apparently perfect life. By its title's suggestion, Mr. Tom Ripley is very talented, and begins to use his forgery and impersonating skills to slowly become Dickie Greenleaf. The film becomes noticably darker in its second half when Ripley assumes Dickie's identity. Murder and deceit spiral out of control until a shocking and unfinished ending will leave you feeling empty and wanting more. This is a great film with a not-so-hollywood conclusion. Final rating 8.5/10