IMDb > The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Talented Mr. Ripley

The Talented Mr. Ripley More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 71: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

If A Man Was A Stereotypical Woman

Author: kevinathome from Canada
2 February 2014

Matt Damon did a great job, as usual. It was kind of weird, based on a novel written by a woman, about how Damon's character, with no power, had to make himself interesting and compelling to a man, so that the man would then admit him to his fabulous lifestyle, though still always subject to being discarded on a day by day basis. To complete the "what if a man had to be a stereotypical woman" premise, Damon's character seems increasingly gay for the rich playboy.

Of course it all goes horribly badly, since naturally a man in that position would turn to murder. As a man, I protest! In fact, I could never have been so clever as the protagonist. Even so, the first half of the movie is unusual, idyllic, suspenseful, with a sense of doom.

The second half is Damon's character trying to pass himself off as the playboy. It's plainly doomed and insane, but he just keeps plausibly getting away with it. Lots of suspense, but less and less plausible. My wife figured they should have stopped with the first half. Is this supposed to be an allegory for a woman surviving in a man's world? Maybe so, the novel is from 1955. And of course, he has to give up on love, even betray his lover.

Hmm, was somebody a little bitter?

Superb acting is what makes this movie a "perfect" 8.

Author: jpetko01 from Croatia
17 May 2013

A great example of how movie can be interesting and can involve you and leave you thinking without any special effects, without great script or plot... Lets face it, this movies doesn't have great script, it doesn't have great plot either. Movie plot is interesting and definitely can involve you, yet it is not a breathtaking story with many twists and turns. But there is one thing that makes this movie great, and it is acting. Because of acting this movie is breathtaking an involving and represents one great experience and one hell of a ride.

Each character is important, each character is there for a reason and can't be left out. The way Matt Damon carried out his role made me speechless, his acting is superb, at times you can relate to him and feel sorry for poor underachiever Tom Ripley, but then, just moment later he gives you chills and scares you as hell. He's a beauty and a beast in one. And it's not only because of his role, in fact it's mostly because of the way he carried out his role. Jude Law gave the performance without a flaw. Moreover his acting is perfect. He embodied young playboy and adventurer so good that we all could feel what is like to be Dickie Greenleaf even for a moment, singing and drinking in jazz club in Naples or sun tanning and picking up girls on the sand beaches of Mongibello. Other actors were superb too, maybe only Gwyneth Paltrow had some, not bad, but less good moments in movie, but all in all it is a flawless acting.

To sum up all characters were played by perfect actors for that role, and when that happens movie can't be bad, indeed, it will probably be as great as this one.

There aren't many movies which made me relate to every one of the main characters, good or bad, and for that I give this movie 8 out of 10. To be a 9 or a perfect 10 any movie should have something in addition to perfect acting, such things as extraordinary special effects, mind blowing twists or exceptional plot. In lack of those i give "Talented Mr. Ripley" a "perfect" 8.

A truly talented movie

Author: AleckSandr
16 May 2005

I have been fascinated by this truly talented movie since I first saw it some years ago. This is the only film which I saw at least 20 times. Every time I watch it I seem to myself simply to be dissolved in it. I feel as if I were an invisible film participant who constantly accompanies the characters......

Tom Ripley, the main character of the movie, is an unwanted, poor lad who early understood that it was actually impossible to succeed in life without protection and support. I could sympathize with him. When Tom gets an opportunity to change his life and happens to know the happiness of that glorious world his bad instincts fail him.

I don't identify myself with Tom. I could be Peter though. I think Jack Davenport played one of his best roles. The homosexual tendencies of the characters don't scare me and I don't focus on them.

The characters of the movie are making their way in the world - that's what we all do - and how they do it attracts our attention.

The cast is splendid. It's like a precious brooch - twinkling scattered diamonds and emeralds - every stone in itself is of some importance and is strongly attracted by others.

It is a beautiful film. Elegant, dramatic, fascinating, mysterious, exciting...... I really enjoyed every scene. I also liked the fine music so tastefully arranged by the authors of the movie - it fascinated me from the very beginning.

In my eyes this film is perfect.

Classic Film Noir!

Author: cbrandt86 (cbrandt86@yahoo.co.uk) from Oxford, UK
12 October 2002

After seeing this film, I have only one complaint, why didn't it feature in the Oscars?

This film's a brilliant example of Film Noir. The screenplay and direction are impeccable, and there are flawless performances from the cast. The locales in Italy are visually stunning. Even the peek into the darkness of the human mind is effectively achieved. There are some crisp one-liners, and good dialogue in many places.

To sum up, I cannot agree with any of the critics of this film. I loved it the first time, and am looking forward to seeing it again.

Interesting Character Study

Author: gbheron from Washington, DC
12 October 2002

Who is Tom Ripley, the personage of the film's title? That's really the central premise of "The Talented Mr. Ripley", and it's a good question. The film is a period piece set amongst the moneyed few of 1950s America. Ripley, as played by Matt Damon, is a human chameleon, adept at impersonating others, down to the matching signatures. His criminal career starts during a wealthy New York party where Tom is playing piano as part of the paid entertainment. He's wearing a borrowed Princeton University blazer, the alma matter of the host's wayward son, and is mistaken for one of the son's friends. Ripley slips quickly and easily into his first deception, that of the son's best friend at college. Subsequently the father hires Tom to go to Italy, where the son is slumming with his girlfriend, and bring him back to New York.

Once in Italy, Tom ingratiates himself into the company of the son, Dickie Greenleaf, (Jude Law), girlfriend Marge (Gwyneth Paltrow), and their assortment of young wealthy sybarites. As the impersonations become more complex, the possibilities for exposure escalate, and the measures needed to keep the charade rolling take a deadly turn.

Matt Damon goes out on a limb portraying Tom Ripley, as the movie is essentially a character study of this complex person. He pulls it off, and Anthony Minghella, the director, gets excellent acting support from Law, Paltrow, Cate Blanchett, and Philip Seymour Hoffman. Other aspects of the movie also work very well, not the least the on-site Italian locations, and the 1950s sets. This is not a mystery, nor a romance; it's something different and difficult to categorize, and is highly recommended.

Shows what Minghella can do when he turns his hand to a script with a little tension in it...

Author: Howlin Wolf from Oldham, Gtr Manchester, England.
11 October 2002

My summary derives from the fact that I HATED "The English Patient". For a movie that won so many Oscars, the only things that saved Minghella's earlier effort from being a complete dud in my eyes were the production design and the performances. (That should save you from having to read the review I'm writing next... :-) ) "The Talented Mr Ripley" shares the scant virtues of "The English Patient", but has a whole lot more qualities besides with which to pique your interest.

It's another 'long' film like "EP", but the script seems a whole lot tighter, and each and every one of the supporting characters MATTER in "Ripley", even the part played by Cate Blanchett, who really isn't on screen for very long at all. It feels like it has something to say about the darker elements of the human condition, rather than coming off like a bloated "Milk Tray" advert, a la "EP". Oh, and it leaves you thinking at the end, as opposed to asleep... !

Seriously, seek this out if you haven't already, and get a taste of just HOW talented Minghella is when he gets hold of material with some 'snap' in it... Didn't mean to turn this review into an attack on another film, but they really are polar opposites; and it galls me that the director got so much acclaim for one, and yet not enough for this...

Spooky and Suspenseful!!

Author: Shiv from St. Louis, MO
27 August 2002

The film has a spooky atmosphere throughout. Although I agree that Matt Damon gives one of his best performances, I am not too fond of his character. To assume the point of view of the bad guy in a movie, is very daring and difficult, but its done beautifully in this film. I give it a 7/10. Mostly, it was the acting and suspense that kept me watching til the end. The ending, however, was a bit disappointing because it felt as if the movie lacked a real conclusion. So, it is up to the audience to imagine what might happen to Tom Ripley in the end.

Exquisite Garbage

Author: JasonS-5 from Baltimore, MD
19 August 2002

This movie is so well-done, so beautifully acted, so well-filmed, with such wonderful scenery, you can almost excuse the fact that everyone in the movie is nasty, shallow, and unsympathetic.

Watching this movie, you get the uncomfortable sensation of watching a beautifully groomed, pure-bred dog relieving itself on your shoes.

I saw this movie the day it opened, in the theatre. I hated it with a passion, it was depressing, claustrophobic, and LONG. Nevertheless, I felt drawn to it because it was so well-crafted. I'd reccomend it to any film-students anxious to learn their craft, but to no one else.

Oh the tangled webs we weave...

Author: ttttttara from Michigan
18 July 2002

I had to watch it a couple times before I really liked it. It really is an unusual and wonderful movie. ***SEMI-SPOILER***

I love Ripley's line, "I always thought it would be better to be a fake somebody than a real nobody." That line really sums up all of Ripley's feelings and the plot of this movie - Ripley's struggle with accepting himself. Ripley believes himself to be a nobody and hides all of his feelings and his true self from everyone. By a twist of fate, he is temporarily accepted into Dickie's world of class and luxury; he begins to feel safe and open when an argument arises and Dickie tells him what he really thinks about him...revealing Ripley's worst fears out in the open.

You watch as the disturbing story unfolds from there...you can sympathize with Ripley up until a certain point in which his true character shows - a lost, insecure and ill-fated young man.

excellent

Author: TuesdayNight from California
18 March 2002

Hated this movie the first time I saw it, loved it the second time. Complex characters, surprising plot twists, great suspense, beautiful settings.

Spoilers: Tom's slide into madness and violence is fascinating (and convincing). Thrilling to watch his web of lies become more and more tangled. The scenes at the Opera and at the Rome cafe were nailbiters.

Philip Seymour Hoffman was brilliant. His character is fabulously awful. "How's the peeping Tommy?" I would rent this movie again just for the 15 minutes he is on screen.