IMDb > The Rugrats Movie (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Cute.

Author: Kewl_Me from Phoenix, Arizona
3 August 1999

As a big fan of the Nickelodeon television show, "The Rugrats", I was really itching to see this when I first heard they were making a movie, and I am a teenager, too. I was there opening weekend, and lemme tell ya, you don't have to be a toddler to love animated movies. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. There was very good animation, a good little story, upbeat and catchy songs as well as lyrics, and the action will keep the little ones entertained. ***** out of *****.

Has Fun Moments But Is Too LOUD!!!

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
9 May 2007

This is a loud movie which was fun for about 40 minutes but then it just gets to be too much, too abrasive with the yelling. Do they think kids are hard-of-hearing? Are they trying to make kids deaf?

Whatever. . I guess this is geared a lot more for young kids who are used to the TV blasting away at them. For me, that loudness is okay for awhile, but it gets tiresome. In fact, the simple storyline in here goes on for too long, too. This is an 81- minute film, which is not long, but would have been far better at no m ore than 70 minutes. An hour would have been just right.

Still, on the plus side, there are plenty of interesting scenes, the colors are bright and visually attractive, the sound is very good and there are some decent subtleties as well as slapstick humor. There are things in here adults would enjoy.

A solid, colourful and enjoyable film

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
29 October 2009

The Rugrats Movie was enjoyable, not quite as good as Rugrats In Paris, but it is solid and colourful. Of course the film isn't without its flaws. The second half was rather loud for my liking, and while the story is simple, which is fine by me, there are bits where the film drags and it doesn't quite have the sense of fun that makes the show so enjoyable. That said though, the film is very, VERY cute and means well. While it is by all means a kids movie, there are a handful of laughs and references to other films for adults. I particularly loved Phil's "I didn't know she could fly"(in reference to Angelica) and Lil replies "I think it's because she's a witch." The animation is colourful and true to that of the show, and the soundtrack is great. The voice cast is especially strong, with Tara Strong, EG Daily and Christine Cavanaugh as standouts. Though as much as it pains me to say this, great actors like Whoopi Goldberg and Tim Curry have very little to do, and did disappoint. Overall, it's a decent movie, it is colourful cute and fun, but does have a tendency to drag and a bit loud in places. 7/10 Bethany Cox

A fun-tastic enhancement of the TV cartoon series.

Author: Jason C. Atwood from Suffolk, Virginia
19 April 1999

This animated film feature of the RUGRATS is a thrill of an adventurous joyride for its fans, and has a cutest sense of humor more unique than some in this type (like the "poopie" jokes). The familiar artwork is breathtaking and fares far better than the recent DOUG in movie form. Angelica gets to steal the show like she always does, and sings a sample of Blondie's "One Way Or Another". Simply put, a great way for kids to escape the horrors of network television. As all that can be best explained, you know exactly what to predict here. The songs are nice, but they're nothing to brag about except for when the end credits scroll by.

Great fun for kids of all ages

Author: Ace-38 from Tulsa, OK
21 November 1998

Rugrats: A name I had never even heard until my daughter started watching it. My son soon followed and joined sis on the couch when the familiar theme song kicked in. They are 6 and 4 now and were thrilled when they announced the movie version of their favorite show. Mom and I promised to take them. As we arrived in the theatre, there were families all over just like ours. Once the film started, however, I was 6 years old again, watching my favorite cartoons. Rugrats movie is a joy for parents and kids alike. There is adult humor (referring to the sex of the new pickles baby, one parent says "if born under venus, look for a" ...before being cut off. There is kid humor too, multiple diaper jokes, and just plain FUN! Parents, and non-parents alike owe it to themselves to see this fun movie. If you have kids, it is a joy to see their faces light up when the theme song kicks in, and Tommy squirts the screen with his bottle (just as the SDDS sound kicks in, and the title breaks on-screen)

This is a great way to spend 85 minutes, and while my 4 year old got a little restless during the forest scenes (about 1/3 of the movie), my 6-year old sat through it with nary a word. A great time for kids of all ages, and a good way for parents and kids to spend some time together.

A Cute Film

Author: Ginger87 from New York City
1 January 2005

I remember seeing this movie when I was eleven years old in theaters. I saw it the opening weekend and then again two weeks later. I have always been a fan of the Rugrats ever since it started back in 1991 when I was four years old.

The plot of the movie evolves around the addition of Tommy's new baby brother Dil. The part when Tommy and Dil were alone in the woods together was so sad and cute. I also liked how there were many different parts occurring at the same time. Plus the songs on the movie were very catchy especially the one Angelica sang while looking for Cynthia.

Overall this movie was really good. However this movie led to the downfall of the "Rugrats". I give this movie 10/10 stars.

"...let me tell you, Klasy-Cuspo did not let me down. A fun, up beat movie that kids and "growned-ups" will enjoy from start to finish."

Author: anonymous
20 November 1998

"The Rugrats Movie" -*** out of 4.

After months of waiting, I finally got the chance to see my favorite cartoon, the Rugrats on the silver screen. Ever since I was ten (and since the show began back in 1991), I have always loved the show. And let me tell you, Klasy-Cuspo did not let me down. A fun, up-beat movie that kids and "growned-ups" will enjoy from start to finish. I attended a 7:05pm showing of the film, the majority of the sold-out crowd were mainly tykes. Due to the fact that I'm 17-years old, it really set me down that I didn't see any other people close to my age other than Adults. At least I'm a kid at heart, and I can see whatever I please.

The story picks off where "The Family Tree" left us. It begins with a sharp-looking Indiana Jones spoof, putting our main man Tommy Pickles in his shoes ready to snatch a prized possesion. Funny how imagination goes with these kids, as the huge rolling ball that chases them happens to be a very Pregnant Didi-Tommy's mom.

Shortly after, Didi gives birth to Dil Pickles, which becomes a total bane to all the main Rugrats-Even Phil and Lil. Dil seems to be somewhat a very fussy little babe. During most of the film, Dil loves to take batting practice on Tommy's head (hitting), be it from a rattle or a bottle.

After some discussion from twins Phil and Lil, they decide to take Dil "back to the hopsickle". They do attempt to return him via a new Stu Invention-"The Reptar Wagon". However, they get lost along the way, ending up in a forest, scary with monkeys and more troubles. This ain't the playpen folks.

And what does that little imp Angelica (My favorite Rugrat) has to do with all of this? Since Dil loves to grab items, yelling "mine"!, her doll Cynthia is grabbed from the hands of the feisty younging. Angelica goes out under "Shirley-Lock Holmes"-donning roller-blades and all in order to retain her dolly. However I was disappointed with what they did to her. Angelica does not get a lot of screen time compared to her other counterparts. And Unlike the T.V. show, Angelica is much less of a brat, but she is more like it in the early moments of the film.

Of course, the adults in the film are just as entertaining as the Rugrats. The reporter Rex Pester is really a pest. And Grandpa, Stu and Drew bring it on.

The animation is really on another level. Really cool use during the birth scene. They really made some scenes 3-D like in appearance. And to be real with you, it looks like the animators took a shot of speed, as most of the movie speeds on by. It's not slow like most Disney films. It really has a small amount of sugar-sweet moments. Also the songs aren't at all chessy for an animated film.

This being the first G-rated movie I attended in a thearte in almost 8 years, I wonder how did Nick and K-C get away with some of the potty jokes. They must've been borderline on PG. There are a good amount of them in the movie, especially during the newborn song number in which involves a shower of peeing, creating a rainbow. Now that's something that Disney will NEVER touch. Dil also uses his fire hose as well. And Tommy's buttocks are exposed.

The botton line: kids, parents, those in between, and diehard Rugrats fans like me will love this film. Animation knacks may get a kick out of it also.But those that don't like cute cartoons and those older kids may wanna stay out of this. Of course it's up to you.

Although the animation is NOT "A Bug's Life" level, it is 1,000 times better than the T.V. show. And it doesn't play like an episode either as many "mislead souls" have said before the movie even came out. The action is mostly non-stop. Certainly on a faster pace than any episode. Nickelodeon and Klasky-Cuspo has made one exciting film. This film will really give "Babe: A Pig in the City" and "A Bug's Life" a real run for their money. Bring on the Sequel!!!

A disappointing feature-length adaptation of the enjoyable TV show.

Author: Maskell from Vernon, BC, Canada
2 December 1998

Why do filmmakers find it necessary to try to turn cartoons into musicals? I found the many star-studded music numbers irritating, and a poor attempt to appear "cool" to the adult viewers. The entire plot element of the train-wrecked monkeys added nothing to the film, and seemed senseless. My 7 year old son enjoyed it except for the singing. The TV show is better.

A decent film, but it has flaws.

Author: Cartoon King from U.S.A.
4 June 2011

Taking place immediately after the "Rugrats" episode "The Family Tree" where Didi finds out she's pregnant. "The Rugrats Movie" is when Tommy's new sibling is finally born. The Rugrats are very excited about Tommy's new sister, but when the baby is finally born, it's a boy. Baby Dil practically does nothing, but cry, scream, and poop. Tommy thinks he can take him back to the hospital in exchange for a new baby brother, but soon they all get lost in the woods. This is their first time in actual danger, not just their imaginations.

This is certainly not the best story for a movie, but it is okay. Baby Dil, however is very annoying. More-so in the later episodes of the show than this movie, because he constantly interrupts their adventures and makes every episode about baby-sitting Dil.

While "The Rugrats Movie" is a decent film, it has flaws.

- It's starts the downfall of a once great cartoon show.

- Like in "Pokémon: The First Movie" this film tries a little bit too hard to be darker and more dramatic than the TV show it's based on.

- There are WAY too many jokes about poop, pee and other such gross things. I'm fine with crude humor when it's in small doses (like on "Rocko's Modern Life"), or when it's actually made funny (like on "The Ren & Stimpy Show"). But this movie (and the later episodes of the show) just over-do it.

There are good things too though.

- I loved the opening sequence of the film.

- The animation is great, and perfect for the big screen.

- The voice acting is top-notch.

- Some parts were really funny. Like when they spoofed "Indiana Jones".

Overall this is a decent and mildly entertaining film. But it's certainly not one of the greatest animated movies ever. There are better movies of animated TV shows ("The Simpsons Movie"; "The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie"; "Batman: Mask of the Phantasm"), but there are also worse ones ("Aqua Teen Hunger Force: Colon Film for Theaters"; "Pokémon: The First Movie"). Funny, nicely animated, good voice acting, but a little bit too much potty jokes, and it added a horrible character to a great TV show.

Rating: 6/10 "Decent"

A solid film that will please kid fans of the series but offers little for the adult audience that comes with a cinema release

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
22 December 2006

Tommy and his friends are excited and looking forward to the arrival of his new baby sister. However when young Dil arrives he turns out to be a boy as well as not being as much fun as had been expected. With Dill taking all his parent's attention away from Tommy, the other babies find themselves all marginalised by this screaming and pooping creature. Trying to return Dil to the hospital turns into a much bigger adventure than they planned when they wind out lost deep in the woods.

Some cartoons are aimed at kids but have plenty for adults to enjoy; some cartoons are so completely for kids that adults struggle to get anything from them. The Rugrats Movie falls somewhere in the middle, being engaging enough for adults without really having that much specifically for them. Of course for kids the simple plot will provide enough adventure to hold the attention while the baby jokes come fast enough to amuse. Adults will not be turned off by the film because it is professional enough to distract, but the adult references are few and far between and certainly not as clever as the Pixar films that adults will be used to.

The voice cast deliver the characters from the TV show well enough and will please fans by delivering more of the same but just over a longer running time. Guest turns from Curry, Goldberg, Spade, Clinton, Cho and Rhymes don't add a great deal but in their defence I suppose it was easy work for money. Overall then a professional and enjoyable film for child fans of the series which fills the running time well. However there isn't much for adults other than the promise that at least it won't grate the way some kids films do.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]