IMDb > Getting Started (1979) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Getting Started More at IMDbPro »

Stick With It, And You Will Be Rewarded

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
13 July 2007

According to Leonard Maltin, Richard Condie has a style all of his own, both in the artwork and his stories. After watching this, I believe him.

In the first few seconds, I thought this was really going to be wild and wacky as I saw how the main character was drawn. He looked very funny. Then, after watching a couple I thought the opposite: what a slow-moving and disappointing cartoon. However, this got better and better and I wound up really enjoying this different 'toon. It's a one-joke story, but so what? Many cartoons are one jokes and still come off well. If you are patient in the opening minutes, it will be rewarded.

If you are a musician, or took music lessons, or you have ADD or simply just procrastinate a lot, you should get a bunch of laughs out of this 12-minute story.

As far a general audience goes, I'm still not sure this would be much of hit. Most people would want a lot more "action." It's simply about a guy who is supposed to rehearsing for an upcoming piano concert, but is distracted easily.

I loved the artwork: the guy's face, his room, the cuckoo clock, the little mouse and bug, the picture of his mom on the wall, and more. The colors were excellent, too. The visuals helped make this even better.

This movie was part of the DVD "Leonard Maltin's Animation Favorites From The National Film Board Of Canada. It took a few minutes, but I can see why the famous critic views this cartoon so highly.

Richard Condie's Getting Started is a highly humorous animated short

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, La.
19 January 2008

Just discovered this pretty amusing animated short directed by Richard Condie and produced by The National Film Board of Canada. It basically concerns the efforts of a concert pianist to practice in relative peace but he keeps procrastinating even with the clock ticking at the top of each hour. There's also a mouse that resides in the piano and a little bug to distract him. Many very humorous stuff happens here and I especially liked the part when the clock got messed up after the mouse played with the chimes causing the pianist to really feel frustrated! So if you're looking for a unique animated short from a country other than the United States, Canada's Getting Started should be right up your alley.

One of the funniest cartoons I've ever seen

Author: Jaime N. Christley from Seattle, WA
30 May 2001

This short animated film deserves a brief comment, but most certainly a complimentary one. The premise (or "plot") involves a concert pianist trying to get ready for a major recital. The pianist is a ridiculous, "cartoon-ish" character, while the room around him is painted like a Monet. The humor of the piece comes from his countless, failed attempts to actually sit down and practice - not due to outside forces, but because of his own procrastination. And when he does sit down to play (and he is capable of playing quite brilliantly, which is shocking, considering how silly he is drawn), he keeps messing up and getting angry.

What I find to be so wonderful, apart from the humor, is the way that "Getting Started" so perfectly portrays procrastination, realistically, and with deft timing. The film is light, meaningless fun, but it is wickedly funny and perfectly constructed. Love it.

Big Laughter

Author: joerg_stuetz from Germany
19 July 2000

For musicians, this short cartoon is a must. I rarely had such fun watching a film and only the thought of it made me laugh days after. If you play an instrument you sure can easily identify yourself with the "hero" and have a big time.

Anyone who has had to practise or revise will laugh at this.

Author: DerekL from Cambridge, England
12 April 2000

As a pianist attempts to practise he is distracted by anything and everything. All but the scarily self-disciplined will identify with something here and smile. The TV channel-hopping scene has become a standard in our house.

Simply drawn, often from unusual and interesting points of view, this is an excellent mixture of observation and slapstick humour.

More conventional than Richard Condie cartoons generally are and less interesting too

Author: Robert Reynolds (minniemato@hotmail.com) from Tucson AZ
2 May 2001

Richard Condie is a master of the odd and unusual in animation. This cartoon is more conventional. I'd have enjoyed it more had I seen it before I saw a few of his other, more bizarre efforts. Slow in spots and essentially one-joke. Tex Avery did one-jokes first and better. Still worth watching.

Decent, but Condie has even better stuff you need to see

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
17 July 2008

This is one of several animated short film from Richard Condie I have seen. His films are the reason I rented " Animation Favorites from the National Film Board of Canada", as I knew that two of the selected films were his (the other being the hilarious "The Cat Came Back"). However, not that I have seen it, I find it's not among his best films--mostly because the subject matter wasn't so conducive to his best (and weirdest) stuff.

The film is about a man who is about to play the piano but also seems to want to find some reason not to. Again and again he starts playing and each time he finds some unimportant reason not to. I particularly liked the mouse that appeared in the film--it was rather random and lightened the mood a bit.

A good film--just not a great film from Condie. For one of his best, try "The Big Snit"--it's a riot!

Never Starts

Author: tedg (tedg@filmsfolded.com) from Virginia Beach
17 September 2007

This seems to be a practice project, one in which our hero goes through many tiny, subdued dramatic situations. You can almost see the assignment, the list of distractions, of indirect effect that need to be presented. It is done well, but its merely done. There's no effect.

I think this will be worth while simply as an example of someone working with intelligent notions in animation. Surely there is a lack of this. But its more of a workbook, a practice project. See "The Big Snit" instead, by the same guy.

How sometimes it's hard to concentrate!

Author: LeRoyMarko from Toronto, Canada
3 January 2003

Poor guy trying to practice for the recital! But he's got great difficulty trying to concentrate. Reminded me, in university, having to concentrate on an important essay but instead watching infomercial about exercise super-machine or juicer. And the sound of the clock during the film, reminding us that time is still going by, whatever you do. Funny when the pianist is frustrated by also hitting the wrong key.

Out of 100, I give it 77. That's good for **½ out of ****.

Seen at home, in Toronto, on December 28th, 2002.

Occasionally cute, but generally bland

Author: Tito-8 from North Bay, Ontario
2 July 1999

This Canadian short is okay, but it fell far short of my expectations for it. There are a few cute lines, and the main character does a few amusing things, but for the most part, it's only mediocre at best. Do yourself a favor, and instead of watching this film by Richard Condie, try to find his masterpiece "The Big Snit"...THAT is a funny film.