IMDb > "Maya the Bee" (1975) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Mitsubachi Maya no boken"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Maya the Bee" More at IMDbPro »"Mitsubachi Maya no boken" (original title)

Timeless classic

Author: Nenko Genov (beastwarsfan@abv.bg) from Plovdiv, Bulgaria
21 November 2006

"Maya The Bee" is one of those shows very popular in Europe and nearly unknown in the US. Just like Krtek, Bamse, Reksio, Ferdy the Ant and more. The show is inseparable part of many people's childhood memories and even now, more than 30 years after its first airing it hasn't lost its charm. Whole generations grew up with Maya and her friends. It's a timeless classic! The animation has some typical anime features, but they don't protrude too much, so even those who don't like Japanese shows can easily find themselves enjoying the episodes. Each episode is a separate story, featuring Maya and her friends - Willie, Flip and the rest of the insects living in the field. From 1975 to 1976 52 episodes were produced, and 52 more from 1982 to 1983 (also known as "The New Adventures of Maya the Bee", where Alexander the Mouse, the first non-insect character was introduced). The episodes don't resemble or follow any particular pattern. The seres are always colorful and full of joy. It's pure delight! For some months they air the show on the TV, and imagine me, nearly 21 years old, getting back home from my lectures at the Uni, and waiting for today's Maya episode :)

A very nostalgic cartoon for old school Nickelodeon lovers.

Author: Jon (madtruffle) from Parlin, New Jersey
7 December 2003

I have been looking for this cartoon for so long. I used to watch all the time when it used to be aired on Nickelodeon (when it was still cool). I don't remember much, but I remember Maya, another bee and a grasshopper and their many misadventures. I do remember that they were mortal enemies with hornets. It was a very humble cartoon. It wasn't exciting, i wasn't overly done. A great piece of animation for the kiddies and family to enjoy!

Charming Days of Childhood

Author: Marcin Kukuczka from Cieszyn, Poland
6 September 2009

As I have just come across this title in the IMDb, I simply felt obliged to add my short comment on this cartoon, or more to say, my memories concerning the lovely adventures of mesmerizing Maya. This adorable bee is still known to have filled the minds and hearts of many kids in the early 1980s in Poland. Every Sunday evening, the TV presenter of the time invited us to join the bee and her friends in their lovely world of adventure in nature. And, as a few seconds of preparation passed, the memorable title song rang out, the tune we found so beautiful and delightful. At that moment, we were already deep within a magical world...

However, many years have passed since those days and people could ask why I even bother coming back to this distant past once again through this review? For several reasons...

This is one of the very few cartoons that brings back lots of good memories, intense emotions and deep nostalgia, something that has remained in my childlike thoughts and has always strongly belonged to the personal world of those blissful years. Besides, this is one of the cartoons that taught me to love nature and cherish friendship since it really promotes these values. We find Maya a social, friendly character who makes lots of friendships and likes to be in company with others, who helps others, laughs with others when they laugh and cries with them when they cry. A sort of basic idea of a true friend... Finally, I loved this cartoon for its clear morals, which showed the children what is good and what is bad, what is wrong and what is right in particular situations. I remember that we modeled on the events and behaviors as little children and that proves everything for itself.

Yes, those are my feelings and memories concerning this charming cartoon. Perhaps, I have not said anything special nor new in my comment. Yet, I hope that you will find it helpful as the opinion of yet another 'fan' of these adventures who says heartfelt words with others: Charming Days of Childhood...Days which cannot be forgotten!

Good quality children's TV - "Biene Maya" or "Maya the Bee"

Author: T P
24 February 2008

In German, this series was called "Biene Maya", in English "Maya the Bee". It features two young bees having adventures out and about, discovering new things and helping other insects. Among their friends are a wise grasshopper, they also encounter ants, beetles, earthworms, and some not so nice wasps and the spider Thekla.

I would say the target audience is 2 - 8 year old children. The animation is good for its age, but you do notice that the series is over 25 years old, however, it holds up very well compared to modern children's TV series, especially as the characters and story lines are well thought through.

Most 20 minute long episodes will convey values such as friendship, helping others, etc., but the messages are never too blatant.

Not really the review...

Author: ZenMojster from Slovenia
9 October 2005

Maya the bee must be one of those shows which everyone here in Slovenia know. It is cult cartoon here specially for the generation who have watched cartoons 10-25 years ago. There are even some theme song covers by many bands. It was shown very often from 80s to early 90s. I've seen it also 2 years ago on national TV so i believe even many children today knows that show. I never know this show was made in Japan. Hard to believe the cartoon from Japan was so popular in a country with totally different culture. I have no idea how it was accepted in Japan or any other countries, but I guess its not that popular if the review i am just writing is the 3rd one. I've seen the show also many times on German TVs so I guess it was quite popular there too but definitely not as popular as here. People here made it look like some national show.

Oh those sweet TV shows from my childhood

Author: Steed-2 (davidsvarez@yahoo.com) from Canary islands, Spain
1 September 2013

I am almost 40 and I'm not ashamed to confess I have the complete DVD collection at home. Extremely popular in Europe this TV show is just as charming and lovely as it was back in 1975. Maybe the animation isn't as great for today standards but it doesn't matter, it works perfectly. I don't know in other countries but here in Spain the show got even better thanks to a wonderful dubbing cast who just captured the real magic of each character. And of course we cannot forget that wonderful intro song that it's known for everybody in Spain...You only have to start singing the first lines and probably somebody will join you. Wanna try? :-)

Japanese cartoon?

Author: Atreyu_II from The world of artists
4 February 2009

Before saying something else, I never thought of this as Japanese stuff. I always had the idea that this was a local production. But I'm sure that many people around the world thought the same. Still, I am surprised that this is an anime TV series. While searching for this on IMDb, when I noticed that "Mitsubachi" name, I thought: «What is this? Japanese? That word strongly resembles Mitsubishi - the car maker».

I really can't remember much from this, but one thing is for sure: when I was a child in my early school days (and even before that), I used to watch this everyday and I loved it. Also, I used to listen all the time that wonderful opening song, which is absolutely memorable and nostalgic (in my country we had the most beautiful Maya the Bee's song). Such a sweet and lovely song that could never be forgotten and it's a powerful reminder of childhood days, such distant days now.

I do remember vaguely that this was a quite humble cartoon, harmless and perfect for children. I remember Maya as a good and cute honey bee, as well as one with hunger for adventure. The artwork used to be simple, but pretty good.

Overall, this is a cartoon which is as simple as a child's tear but also something with strong nostalgic value. I will never forget childhood, when life was beautiful. Those were great times, like we'll never have again.