IMDb > Treasure Planet (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Treasure Planet

Treasure Planet More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 22: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Not your usual Disney film

Author: Carl Abrams from Lafayette, IN
30 January 2004

Slight spoilers

First off, let me say that we watched this film on DVD, and our family loved it. BUT - this was geared more to the age of my kids, who are teenagers, and not your typical Disney pre-teen audience. That, I think, is one reason why this didn't do so well in the theatres - they targeted the wrong audience. Your normal 5 - 10 year olds just aren't going to get a lot of the teenage angst in this movie.

Also, that they went for a film based on the Robert Louis Stevenson classic meant that, if you'd read the book, you'd see a lot of things that you could get - but if you hadn't, they'd just go over your head. Again, targeting an older audience would probably have helped. (Let's face it - little kids can watch Beauty & the Beast 50 times a day - not this one.)

You can forgive them regarding space and vacuum - perhaps there was some bubble of atmosphere, or their clothing generated atmosphere - who cares about that, it's a cartoon, I can forgive them that one. That was at least consistent throughout the movie. But the inconsistency was in the gravity field. I could see the first mate being pulled away because he was drawn by the stronger gravity well of the pulsing black hole. But the spidery guy should have been drawn back to the ship. It seemed that they played sort of loose with gravity, which I can't really agree with.

time for something different

Author: devilmaycare from gainesville, florida
6 January 2003

i was trying to go see 'about schmidt' the new jack nicholson flick at my local multiplex, but i had just missed the opening time. so to kill time i picked this flick to see what disney was up to these days. i think the last one i had seen was either 'tarzan' or 'mulan.' whichever came first. well, let me start by saying i went in with low expectations and the movie exceeded them. however, i was not pleasantly surprised with a truly good or great movie either. the graphics in this movie were second to none although some of the characters facial expressions sometimes seem to be some type of broad pantomine. and we're sticking with it.

great art, great story, time to put some nuance in it fellas. it IS the 21st century. take a look at the east with some of its better offerings being snapped up by those young whippersnappers! 6.4 out of 10.

Truly a cool fantasy escape for the family!

Author: janyeap from Washington, DC
26 November 2002

It's always fun watching one's favorite book characters come alive on screen. Disney has done a super job with Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island adaptation. It's supercharged with bibliomania to engage, entrance, and warm the hearts of both kids and adults, space-age style whipped up with spellbinding galactic flavors! Rather hip and futuristic! Explosively colorful, impressively creative, and truly bewildering! My favorite Disney animated film this year! A treasure trove of amazing characters!

I love the way the film starts – really ingenious... almost as if designed to pay homage to the good old pirate flicks. There are some very hilarious moments in this flick (ooh, the talkative B.E.N. with his memory-chipped brain – he's there to tickle the viewers to tears. And that blubbery pink creature that gushes out gas-noises will send the viewers to fits.) Oh yes, there are dour moments of ugly battles and terror storms, but most kids, familiar with Star Wars and Star Trek movies, would be able to handle the takes. The viewers will have a spectacular joy ride (sky-surf included!) with Jim to uncover Captain Flint's loot of the 1000 worlds and attain his rite of passage.

Imagine an ancient ship steered by solar wind; and having interesting aliens as its crew to create all expected commotion, and swooping unimaginable space creatures, such as the Mantabirds, hovering in space. The scenes are filled with exuberantly gorgeous landscapes. Watch how the rebellious Jim Hawkins tackles the notorious cyborg (Long John Silver); observe how a feline looking Captain Amelia warms toward a dog-faced Dr. Doppler and B.E.N. Yep, I love their voices! Oops, I can definitely picture the kids rushing off to Toys R'Us to seek out charismatic, mimicking Morph and B.E.N after watching this film. Love the characters! Truly the morphed blob squatting on Silver's shoulder is so, so cool! If you are familiar with the likes of Emma Thompson, Patrick McGoohan, Roscoe L. Browne, Martin Short, et. al, their animated characters are definite tell-tales of their familiarly expressive real-life features – so awesome!. And their voices are unmistakably recognizable – terrifically awesome with their characters.

Terrific music scores from James Newton Howard and a nice catchy, kid-friendly Hawkin-Silver bonding piece by John Rzeznik. Absolutely a good combination of traditional hand-drawn and computer-generated animated production that offers both classical and futuristic impressions at the same time – very pleasing to the eyes! Yep, this is fun family entertainment - might scare the very timid, young tots in parts though!

A good Disney adaptation? Yes!

Author: legato-bluesummers from United States
23 February 2005

To me Disney has fallen off in recent years. Instead of the magical classics that the company used to give us, they have turned to more modern stories that are lacking at best and characters that fail to stand up to some of the past Diasney heroes. Treasure Planet however broke the trend of dare I say, terrible, Disney movies that we have seen recently. The animation was gorgeous and the characters were surprisingly great, especially the robot Ben brilliantly played by Martin Short. But possibly the best thing about Treasure Planet was the way it managed to adopt a classic story without destroying it, which many movies tend to do. However, fear that it might do this very thing may have driven away a large audience. If you enjoy animation, or are looking for a good movie in general, this one is for you!

A Treasure to the Eyes

Author: EmperorNortonII from San Francisco, California
27 March 2004

Disney's "Treasure Planet" is a true breakthrough in animation. This science-fiction version of the classic "Treasure Island" is an imperfect but interesting concept. Disney's penchant for cutting-edge animation shows with this feature. Not enough credit was given for the task of combining hand-drawn and computer animation. This mixture makes a wonderful combination, best seen in the character of John Silver. Some good performances are heard in Emma Thompson's stoic Captain Amelia and Martin Short's frenetic robot B.E.N. With animated gems like this, let's hope the Disney studios don't phase out their hand-drawn animation department too soon!

A Lot Of The Heart Is Overlooked In This One.

Author: GuyCC from Las Vegas, NV
7 March 2004

It's an interesting mix: Take Robert Louis Stevenson's tale set in the golden age of pirates, but transplant it into a science fiction retro-future. A lot of the attention seems to be focused on the sci-fi elements, and the utter revisionist concept taken from the classic novel. But this has always been a tale about the characters of Jim and Silver. The setting could be anywhere.

I remember the book and the original Disney live-action film. This is a pretty accurate re-telling, along with some subtle (and some not so) references to the tale for the parts they changed the most. Being done from the same director who put together "Beauty and the Beast" and "Aladdin", I noticed the same styles and attitudes presented in this one, with focus on a lot of humorous and genuine emotional moments. This is a tale about finding the greatest treasure ever to be discovered, but ultimately, the film is a tale of Silver and Jim finding redemption in themselves through each other.

This is another one of Disney's "Sci-fi" series, (alongside "Lilo & Stitch" and "Atlantis"). Being the biggest mix of 2D and 3D animation ever done for a Disney film, it was handled quite well, and not distractingly so. There were some scenes that it was obvious that nothing but CG was used, and that made for some visually off-setting moments. Perhaps this was the testing ground to see if they were ready to make the move from 2D to 3D films (though I wished they hadn't closed down the traditional animation studios - the movie-going crowd will be losing classic animation soon, whether they know it or not).

But Silver is an interesting character. Visually, he's very charismatic, with a personality that leaves one to wonder whether they should cheer or boo the scoundrel. Watching Jim's growth from a sullen, angst-ridden teen to a confidant young man is a nice character progression as well. The music is good, the artwork is vibrant and wonderful, and it's a well done film.

It's too bad this film didn't do better in the box office. It's a much-stronger film than it was given credit for, and it now stands as one of the last three 2D animated films to be released by Disney. For those who question how they breathed in space,: If you can buy a ship that can sail through space and the concept of artificial gravity. Is is too hard to grasp the concept of an artificial atmosphere as well? It's all about imagination, and this is going to be one of the last of its kind. At least from Disney Studios, anyway.

Recommended.

Way better than expected

Author: quintesse from Madrid, Spain
3 February 2004

I must say I didn't have any hope left after seeing the IMDb score and reading some of the official critics that I would even remotely like this movie. Fortunately the movie surprised me by being actually quite well made at moments very funny. No, it's not a Disney classic but I can't even remotely call this a bad movie, in fact I loved it!

And to all the people pointing out the physical "impossibilities" like oxygen in space and strange gravity I would suggest that you watch the movie again and listen _carefully_ to the first part of the movie. You can hear that they don't talk about space but about "the etherium" or something like that. You know what? This is a cartoon, it's not reality. Go figure.

Disney's take on 'Treasure Island' - and not a bad take, either...

Author: LeathermanCraig from Rancho Mirage, California
29 January 2004

'Treasure Planet' is another of many solid Disney animations. We all know the story of 'Treasure Island' and it is only slightly modified for it's futuristic, outer space setting. The characters are all fully realized and you can care about them, much as you would for a live actor version of the story. The voices fit the characters and they 'act' with feeling and care.

Overall, this is a solid B+ or A- film and a pleasant way to spend a few hours - even if it's only on DVD and video.... A great choice!

You've got to love this right-like-rain movie.

Author: film-29 from Deserts of vast eternity
14 January 2004

It is beautifully crafted, the acting is superb, the script is terrific and includes the most brilliant dialog ever - witty idioms and ship-shape sentences flow in the manner of 19th Century quaint English literature. Edition and soundtrack are awesome. The animation... let me find an expression lofty enough: the animation definitely kicks all the asses that had been long waiting to be kicked. I haven't read any review on this beauty yet, but it is so good that I'm afraid that the great masses of the public did (an will) ignore it. Please prove me wildly off the mark: convince there are a lot of people other than the usual happy-few who loved the output of Mr. Ron Clements and Mr. John Musker's craftsmanship.

A heart-warming story with spectacular animation...

Author: xAngelsFallx
13 October 2003

I must admit, when I saw previews for Treasure Planet, my first thought was "Oh great, Disney's making yet another attempt to cling to what they once had." Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Disney, but most of their recent productions (mainly sequels) just completely lack the Disney magic we've all come to know and love.

Then I decided to at least give Treasure Planet a chance. I was completely blown away. It's a heart-warming story with spectacular animation. It showed that Disney still had some magic left, not to mention creativity (solar surfing, Morph, a cyborg Silver... need I say more?)

I was extremely impressed with the development of the characters. You can tell they really focused on how Jim would look and act. He flawlessly portrays the typical "teenage outcast." Not to mention John Rzeznik's "I'm Still Here" fits in perfectly as "Jim's theme." It's such an emotional part of the movie and it definitely needed an equally emotional song to match. It's a good thing Rzeznik is a musical genius.

So why didn't this movie do well in theaters? For one thing, it just didn't get the advertisement it deserved. Plus, Disney's audience is usually children, but younger children can't comprehend Jim's feelings throughout the movie as well as teenagers can.

Treasure Planet quite possibly has the best soundtrack I've heard in years. So if you don't plan on seeing the movie, at least try listening to the soundtrack. Although I should warn you, once you listen to "I'm Still Here," you'll be dying to see the movie.