IMDb > Treasure Planet (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Treasure Planet

Treasure Planet More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 22: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Pretty dang good, despite the critics!

Author: Angela (angel7777@kiwibox.com)
8 January 2003

I've never been the one to listen to critics. It's my opinion that matters. And in my opinion, this is a great movie.

Maybe the idea of a space "Treasure Planet" isn't original. But, hey, few things are in this world. Still, it's an uncommon idea. Anyway, Disney took it and made it their own. Maybe there is no Robert Bowman, but this has the same sort of feel.

The story is fun and action-packed for the munchkins, and as an adult, I can testify that there is an interesting plot with witty dialogue. Especially from Captain Amelia, who, might I add, is a Disney heroine worthy of emulation by all the little girls out there.

And the art. . .wow. Maybe some don't like the mix of classic animation and CGI, but I found it a great idea that needs to be continued with.

What I liked most was the little world Disney created for this movie. Contrary to popular belief, these ships were NOT floating through airless space. I love the conversion of Stevenson's Montressor to an actual planet. Everything fits together delightfully.

Thought "Lilo & Stitch" has to be the dearest Disney flick in years, "Treausre Planet" holds its own amongst all the bs Disney has been flinging out (i.e. "Dinosaur" and "Atlantis") It's certainly worth an open-minded viewing.

My only sadness is that this never got the attention it deserves.

One of the best Disney movies of the last half-decade.

Author: kewlmatto from Queensland, Australia
26 December 2002

What an amazing spark of originality...This is that Disney magic we all hear about, unlike the many "cheapquels" Disney have released in the past few years as video-fodder. And the ultimate disappointment is that such fodder has been more successful than Disney's experimental movies, such as Treasure Planet and The Emperor's New Groove.

The movie updates the timeless tale of Treasure Island so well...all of the trademark scenes are there, yet in a very fresh world which has been carefully and wonderfully created, with lush backdrops and visually dazzling sequences - the way the action was captured, the experimentation with the camera, was especially refreshing. Even the story is a fresh departure from the typical Disney plot. Mr Silver is easily the best villain since Yzma, but for very different reasons. While Yzma was a parody of the typical villain, Mr Silver is a more indepth villain, with more complexities and (gasp) - an admiration for the hero.

The voice acting was excellent, tip-top performances by Emma Thompson, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Brian Murray, Martin Short and David Hyde-Pierce, along with the rest. Hopefully in the years to come this movie will gain the respect it deserves. If Disney marketed this as well as its Pixar movies, and released it away from such fierce competition as Harry Potter, perhaps it could have been the hit they were looking for...

Disney's visually stunning foray into high adventure

Author: Scott P Vaughn (DocRedfield) from Phoenix, AZ
7 December 2002

Disney's latest animated feature is whole-hearted fun and adventure. When are people going to remember that animation has always been around to do what can't be done in real life, and not always just a comedy... I loved Lilo & Stitch, but I loved Atlantis too, and I think this flick has 'em both beat, visually and on an entertainment scale. So its not 'Shrek' (and thank God for that), or 'Beauty and the Beast'; its FUN! Fun fun fun... The character designs are great, especially Silver, and the excess of 'Treasure Planet's' universe are breathtaking. This is what animation is all about, so much more than just another computer generated comedy, but the modern mix of stunning CG with hand-crafted beautiful animation in the form of a scifi, if not wholly original (but what is, these days?), retelling of the Stevenson classic. Get off your high-horses, grab the whole family from ages 10 to 100 and go see what a real, non-stop animated adventure is all about.

Lilo & Stitch was not a one-time thing. Treasure Planet proves Disney is alive.

Author: Nixiy (Nixiy@aol.com) from at a computer
7 December 2002

I adored "Lilo & Stitch". Yet it gave me no hope that Disney was improving. I clung to the cute little alien, praying that Disney could do more of it. Then,when this came out, the many positive reviews drug me to the theatre. This movie proves that "Lilo & Stitch" was not just a one-time thing.

This is one of Disney's finest achievements. I don't have much time, so here's a quick list of why it is wonderful:

-Great storyline. It stayed true to the spirit of Robert Louis Stevenson's classic. -Great complex charaters. -Beautiful animation. -Great soundtrack. -Plenty of humor and excitement. -Plenty of heart.

Thank-you, Disney. I'm glad to see you doing better. Much better.

Excellent and breathtaking movie following The Lion King

Author: Alex M. Lehmann from Los Angeles, CA
5 December 2002

Well, I hope that the U.S. residents had a good reason to stay home this weekend and that this will change next weekend because this is a boy's dream coming true. I love it. It's breathtaking, funny, technically high-sophisticated and brilliant animated. It has no slow-downs or unreasonable story-turns, its pace is just right and the boy in all of us men will love it. I think it's far away from Anime since it has this lovely Disney-touch without missing the coolness of an Anime (like Atlantis did). Go, see it, you won't regret it. It's worth every penny and I'm going to see it two more times at least. Now I will dream a little more... of treasures and pirates and spaceships and...

Pure Magic

Author: Kathy B from San Diego
5 December 2002

Awesome animation, great story, great characters, my kids (5&8) absolutely LOVED it.

The Cyborg character is a hit-- characters more in-depth than many other Disney films.

Grab the kids and go, a treat for all...

Thrilling, awe inspiring, adventure

Author: zane olesen (enazwo@hotmail.com) from Bremerton Washington
5 December 2002

This movie captured those youthful desires to experience a fantastic adventure. This movie has a great blend of science, fantasy, and adventure. I'm an old school sci/fi fan from the works of Edgar Rice Burroughs John Carter of Mars series where the inhabitants of Mars traveled in flying ships. I think this recipe of Robert Louis Stevenson meets Edgar Rice Burroughs meets Disney is a complete total winning combination. It is disheartening to hear of the poor box office results for "Treasure Planet" opening weekend. DO NOT let those figures put you off from enjoying Disney's best animated movie since "Beauty and the Beast". I gave it 10/10 only because the vote meter does not go to 11

worth its weight in celluloid

Author: Opalville from Stockholm
4 December 2002

this is a perfect movie for any occasion -- I don't understand why it didn't do better at the box office. My significant other and I took the local neighborhood children to a double feature and Treasure Planet blew Striptease to bits! The animation and writing are simply outstanding, and left no sexy stone unturned. I was deeply moved by the characters' realistic emotive sensibilities and the nonstop psychodrama in which they are forced to live. I also appreciated the film's timely touching regard for kleptomania and prescription drug abuse. Bravo, Disney! You've touched me in all the right places!

They might have grabbed their artistic license and ran for it, but they won the marathon!

Author: SabeAmidala (SabeAmidala@hotmail.com) from Rexburg, Idaho
4 December 2002

I am a "Treasure Island" freak. In my opinion, it is one of the greatest books ever written. I am also a sci-fi freak. So when I saw the preview for this movie, I knew I had to see. Given, my love of Disney animation has not blinded me that they've recently been going-down hall (though they've picked up in the past couple years) so I was prepared to accept that this might not be the greatest movie ever made.

How very wrong I was. This is seriously the best Disney movie I've seen in years.

Like I said above, Disney took advantage of artistic license. But like another reviewer said, they followed Robert Lewis Stevenson's original plot to the best of their ability with this sci-fi twist and with still remaining typically Disney. What an awesome blend. The result was a very good story. Being a lover of the book, I was sad that Blind Pew and the Black Spot weren't that included, but I understand the time thing. There was also this thing with combining characters (The Dr. Doppler in this movie was actually a combination of Stevenson's Trelawney and Gray) but it made for a fun character, and it can be hard to work with too many. Doing Ben Gunn as a robot was also a clever twist. I also liked the little bit of romance. It was just cute and didn't get in the way of anything. All in all, Disney made good use of artistic license in this. Very good use.

What I really liked was the focus on the relationship between Jim Hawkins and John Silver. It was interesting to watch it develop. It's one of the best character relationships Disney has ever done!

Now for the technical stuff: This is incredible animation here. Even if, for some strange reason, you hate the story, just watch the animation. It really is a movie that's beautiful to watch. The soundtrack is wonderful as well and fits everything perfectly.

This movie has something for everyone: humor, danger, romance, tear-jerking stuff, big explosions, etc. This show proves that Disney is regaining its edge, and demonstrates this gem that has to be one of Disney's finest.

Well-balanced, never a dull moment, fun for kids and adults

Author: any_nom from Virginia
3 December 2002

I love the adaptation. I hadn't read R.L. Stevenson's book since high school, so the movie itself held a bit of interest for me, simply as a story. The movie deals a lot with cross generational themes as well as redemption - themes that never grow old and apply to any age.

Never a dull moment, the movie clips along at an exciting pace. I'm not a huge fan of songs in the middle of movies (Tarzan being the sole exception - I loved Phil Collins' songs in the movie.), but I didn't even notice the songs in this movie. I mean, they were there, but the action was interesting enough that they didn't take over the story. As opposed to the singing in Little Mermaid, where Ariel actually IS singing, in no place in Treasure Planet do any of the characters stop what they're doing so they can start cutting a rug and practice their Bing Crosby imitation.

Just go see the movie. You won't be disappointed.