IMDb > Treasure Planet (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Treasure Planet

Treasure Planet More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 23: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Fabulous and appealing adventures starred by Jim Hawkins and Long John Silver

Author: ma-cortes from Santander Spain
10 November 2013

Top-notch cartoon-Sci-Fi version Treasure planet (2002) splendidly directed by John Musker and Ron Clemens . A space age version of "Treasure Island" ; instead of ships, there are spaceships, and instead of an island, there is a planet . This version also includes androids, laser-weapons and colossal space beasts. Gorgeous and astounding animated film with an outstanding and fantastic starring , Jim Hawkins, and a cyborg cook called Long Silver . Entertaining and solid retelling from Walt Disney in cartoon style with the unforgettable Jack Hawkins and the pirate Long John Silver . Ron Clemens and John Musker adaptation of the Robert Louis Stevenson pirate adventure with an eyeball-rolling John Silver and a sympathetic Hawkins . Again we live the roaring adventure , this time set in sidereal space . We share the struggles, the heartaches, the laughter of courageous souls who leave their houses they love to dare the wrath of the angry space pirates . Upright men and greedy pirates in conflict with their destiny enacting the Robert Stevenson's most thrilling story in search of the legendary loot of Captain Nathaniel Flint . Jim Hawkins (Joseph Gordon-Levitt's voice) encounters the artifact that leads to a distant planet where is a buried treasure. Then , the young boy join forces with Captain Amelia (Emma Thompson's voice), Doctor Doppler (David Hyde Pierce) , Ben (Martin Short) , Morph (Dane A. Davis) and of course a boisterous , rogue Long John Silver (voice by Brian Murray) journey to planet of hidden bounty . The young cabin boy Hawkins has a treasure map and a boatload of kill-crazed pirates eager for the riches hidden on Treasure Planet . Jim Hawkins matches with mechanical-legged , a notably snarly Long Silver and adventures go on . But even greater risks lie ahead when Hawkins finds out that his trusted colleague Long John is actually a nasty pirate with mutiny on his mind.

Fun story of outland space plenty of adventure , intrigue , fights and action . The whole piece of adventure teems with emotion , thrills , humor , astral atmosphere and being pretty amusing .The first Disney film in which the maquettes were not made entirely by hand, out of clay. Silver's cyborg parts were constructed out of plastic, using laser technology . Appropriately adventurous rendition of Robert Stevenson's often-filmed and spine-tingling tale . In the picture there are humor , rip-roaring adventures , swashbuckling and it's pretty amusing . It's a combo of computer generator and hand-drawn animation by Ron Clemens and John Musker with voices from Brian Murray , Joseph Gordon Levitt , Roscoe Lee Brown , among others . The movie mingles spectacular cartoon with FX computer generator as when the heroes are taking on monsters , battle a supernova, a black hole , and a ferocious space storm . At the film appears usual personages from Stevenson's Treasure island such as Billy Bones , Sara Hawkins , Nathaliel Flint and Mr Arrow . This film was pitched to Disney by John Musker and Ron Clements several times: In 1985, during production on ¨the Black Cauldron¨ , but they ended up assigned to direct ¨Basil¨. After directing ¨The little Mermaid¨ , but they ended up assigned to direct ¨Aladdin¨. After directing Aladdin, but the studio wanted them to direct Hércules. Musker and Clements agreed to direct that film only if they were allowed to make Treasure Planet right after it. Rating : Above average . Well worth watching , you'll be on the edge of your seat .

Other renditions -being multitudinous remakes , as there are many films made of it- based on this classic novel are the followings : Vintage version by Victor Fleming with Jackie Cooper , Wallace Beery and Lewis Stone ; Disney take on (1950) by Byron Haskin with Robert Newton , Basil Sydney and Bobby Driscoll , respectable full-blooded second-best the classic Fleming version ; European retelling (1974) by John Hough with Orson Welles , Angel Del Pozo , Lionel Stander and Kim Burfield ; Teasure Island (1999) by Marc Charlesbois with Jack Palance , Patrick Bergin and Kevin Zegers ; TV recounting by Fraser C Heston with Charlton Heston , Christian Bale and Richard Johnson . Muppet's Treasure island and recent rendition (2012) starred by Eddie Izzard .Furthermore , "Treasure Island in Outer Space", TV miniseries (1987) also set in space directed by Antonio Margheriti with Anthony Quinn as Long John Silver , David Warbeck as Doctor Livesy and Philippe Leroy as Squire .

"

Unexpectedly Incredible

Author: Joshua Mitchell from Here
10 June 2012

Treasure Planet has not been greeted with negative reception, by any means. But compared to other Disney films, the response has been lukewarm at best, and Treasure Planet was a major box office flop. But here's the catch: It's really good. Like, really, really good.

Treasure Planet is inspired by the Robert Louis Stevenson's classic, Treasure Island. Having not read the book myself, I cannot judge how closely the movie follows the book (my guess is not much due to the fact that this is an outer space adventure), but it provides a wonderfully entertaining yarn anyway.

Jim is something of a rebel, but it's mostly his Dad's fault for leaving him and his mother at such a young age. Jim is constantly in trouble with the law, and his mother doesn't know what to do with her nearly- adult son. But when Jim gets a map from a deranged sea captain, Jim hopes to redeem himself and bring back the gold of Treasure Planet. A canine friend named Doppler tag along, as the two sail on a ship with a questionable crew, a cyborg cook named Mr. Silver, the captain named Amelia, and a host of others.

The characters are instantly memorable. Yes, we have the stereotype "cute" character in the form of a shapeshifting alien named Morph. Yes, we have the stereotype villain in the form of a sneaky spider named Scroop. And yes, we have the stereotype "humor" character in the form of a robot named B.E.N. (who I didn't find all that funny at all). But there's a slew of original characters elsewhere.

The protagonist, for example, Jim is a slightly different glove than the kind Disney usually likes to wear. Far from perfect with a messed up moral compass, Jim is rebellious, and doesn't like to take orders, but we see him change throughout the movie into a much more respectable chap.

Likewise, Mr. Silver, who is the film's primary villain, never really knows if he wants to help Jim, or deploy his villainous plot to take the booty of Treasure Planet for himself. He's an interesting villain, far more interesting than almost any other villain that Disney has brought us so far.

The visuals are incredible. Stunning. Really some of Disney's best. The same technology used in Disney's, also gorgeous, Tarzan film has been employed here with even better results. CGI backgrounds and often props mix with traditionally animated characters creating a visually superb film.

And of course, Treasure Planet is hilarious. While B.E.N. is more than a tad annoying, he has some redeeming lines, and there are lots of other humorous characters as well. Captain Amelia gets a lot of great lines, and Doctor Doppler is equally funny.

The score was unexpectedly wonderful. This is really some of Disney's best work in the music department. Composed by James Newton Howard (a composer I've had mixed feelings about), the score balances emotion and playfulness skillfully, applying enough strong, triumphant tunes as well for some of the more grand scenes.

Unfortunately for Treasure Planet, there is a montage that occurs just before the halfway point, that was just screaming for the score to kick in and deliver the musical masterpiece to get it nominated for Best Original Score. Alas, Treasure Planet has decided to insert an incredibly irritating lyrical song instead. The song has an extremely loud and annoying sounding drum section, and an ill-fitting electric guitar. What could've been the centerpiece of the film, turns out to be the worst part, and this really is a shame.

Treasure Planet shocked me by delivering one of Disney's best films so far. There's an abundance of memorable characters that you really care about, beautiful animation, and it's naturally hilarious.

And while these are all important traits for a film, Treasure Planet also has something even more important: A heart. Treasure Planet doesn't settle for artificial sentimental stuff that so many other films have adopted and use only to attract a broader audience. Treasure Planet brings us a genuinely emotional film that I will not soon forget.

SCI-FI,PIRATES ANIMATION & A GREAT CLASSIC TALE COMBINED TO MAKE A GREAT MOVIE!

Author: rodan1952 from LINCOLN NEBRASKA USA
14 December 2002

SCI-FI,PIRATES ANIMATION & A GREAT CLASSIC TALE COMBINED TO MAKE A GREAT MOVIE ! I loved this movie & can't wait for the DVD .I recommend any one who loves animation & a great adventure to see this at the theater 1st .This is a good one to see on the BIG screen . Visually this is eye candy at the highest level .I really don't understand why anyone with an interest in this type of movie would give it a bad review .This movie is wonderful escapism for all ages(I am 50 & my Nephew is 5 & we both loved it)!!!

Awesome

Author: Jill Of All Trades
27 November 2002

This film kicked ASS.

I thought Atlantis rocked; it had the right blend of adventure and humor. Didn't see Lilo & Stitch; I'm not in the habit of keeping up with Disney flicks. But as soon as I saw Treasure Planet advertised, I was grabbed. Instantly.

It's not long, only 95 minutes or so, but there is a LOT packed into that short amount of time. Some touching stuff in there. Loved the characters. Plan on getting the soundtrack, etc etc.

I also plan on seeing it a second time.

Good movie; go see it. Now.

Finally, Disney gets a 'action' animated film right

Author: midnitesun9 (midnitesun9@aol.com) from Missouri, USA
25 November 2002

I got extremly lucky and got to see a sneak peak of this movie for free last weekend, and I would have payed to see it. After Alantis (which, to me a disney freak since the womb, was a little disappointed with) i almost lost faith in Disney to be able to produce a good action animated movie. They proved me wrong.

I'm assuming that they followed the Treasure Island plot line good (my only comparsion is the Muppets Treasure Island. The book has been on my to read list for years) so I won't go into the plot, except it takes place in a future space like envirnment (note the Plant in the title instead of Island). There's also clearly some Star Wars influence in it.

However the voice talents. B.E.N. is hilarous (such a shame he isn't in the first half), and me and the other 2 people i went to see this with couldn't place the voice, is voiced by Martin Short, who lets face it, is one of the masters at funny voices. Brian Murry is a ideal voice for Long John Silver, and his side kick, Morph, provides most of the comedy. And David Hyde Pierce, never gonna be able to watch him again without picturing Dilbert. Emma Thompson and Joseph Gordon-Levitt round out the rest of the main cast nicely.

The music is also great. Johnny Rzeznik (of The Goo-Goo Dolls fame) adds a 'younger' feel to the music, and he also wrote the lyrics to the 2 songs. The rest of the music is great. And BBMAk on the soundtrack is a nice touch to also attract the 'teen' crowd.

Overrall, another great Disney movie, I fully enjoyed it.

4 and a half out of 5 stars.

Great Film!!!

Author: luv0817 from United States
16 May 2005

I LOVE this film. Treasure Planet, was not appreciated enough by the critics and movie-goers. It is one of those Disney films that I believe will be a hidden treasure found in years to come.

Maybe being a college student, still trying to find my own place is the world is why this film is so appealing to me. But, moreover- it's a universal feeling. It's something we all strive for; "finding are place".

From the acting (I LOVE EMMA... I knew it was her the moment I heard her voice) to visual art with whimsical creatures and enough action/adventure to keep you alert, this film is a true treasure in itself.

Best Disney movie you've never seen

Author: todd-246 from United States
7 January 2005

Before I begin, I just want anybody reading this to know that while I appreciate and understand the remarkable skill involved in the creation of and the historical significance of classic Disney films, I am not a very big fan of them. Having said that, you can put what I write into perspective.

When I first saw this movie I had no idea what to expect. Wow! What a pleasant surprise. This is the best animated Disney film I have ever seen (yes, that includes Aladdin). Visually, it's a beautiful mix of standard 2D animation and 3D CGI. This works perfectly. Sometimes 3D CGI imagery can be distracting in an otherwise 2D animated film, especially when it is a bit herky-jerky (Titan AE is a good example). The two styles mesh well in Treasure Planet and I can think of only one scene, that takes place in the bowels of a ship toward the end of the film, where the CGI is a little distracting. Good character designs and beautiful starscape and ship designs presented in vibrant and rich colors with remarkable crispness round out the visuals. The animation is silky smooth, which is expected of a Disney film.

The story is, of course, based on Treasure Island. However, the Disney team's update deserves recognition, not just for the well infused science fiction elements but for the well-paced humor they injected into it. David Hyde-Pierce's delivery, and his character (Doppler), really steal the show. He does not have the annoyingly obnoxious and overbearing presence of Robin Williams's genie. Of all the characters, his has gotten the most attention from the animators. Just watch him throughout the film, his mannerisms and expressions are part of the reason he's my favorite part of the movie. Even the musical bits of this film didn't turn me off, probably because there were only one or two.

While being mostly about the character development of Jim Hawkins from an immature boy to a man and his relationship/conflict with John Silver, the film avoids being sickeningly sweet or cute. For the most part, Disney managed to keep it under control this time. If you liked the Iron Giant, this is in a similar league.

Was great, simply great!

Author: aquilariel from Vienna, Austria
12 February 2003

After Atlantis, which was the worst Disney Movie I've ever seen, I never expected that Treasure Planet would be this great.

It has an interesting story and very fascinating characters. Especially Amelia, she is my favorite of them all. But not because she is able to command these rough pirate guys (in fact she isn't. A word of Silver and they send her after Mr. Arrow).

The movie has all. Action, Suspense, Humor, Friendship, even Romance. And that is what makes it this great. (Can't wait for the DVD to come out)

Disney's Best in Recent Years

Author: JMG114 from New York
27 January 2003

Treasure Planet is a fun, heart-warming romp through the animated cosmos. It's ending is true to Stevenson's book, and the characters are no less than the well thought out end results of a spectacular movie. Jim's evolving relationship with John Silver is well done, and it's the first time I can remember tears coming to my eyes since The Lion King. Bravo, Disney. Keep 'em coming.

One of the best Disney movies of the last half-decade.

Author: kewlmatto from Queensland, Australia
26 December 2002

What an amazing spark of originality...This is that Disney magic we all hear about, unlike the many "cheapquels" Disney have released in the past few years as video-fodder. And the ultimate disappointment is that such fodder has been more successful than Disney's experimental movies, such as Treasure Planet and The Emperor's New Groove.

The movie updates the timeless tale of Treasure Island so well...all of the trademark scenes are there, yet in a very fresh world which has been carefully and wonderfully created, with lush backdrops and visually dazzling sequences - the way the action was captured, the experimentation with the camera, was especially refreshing. Even the story is a fresh departure from the typical Disney plot. Mr Silver is easily the best villain since Yzma, but for very different reasons. While Yzma was a parody of the typical villain, Mr Silver is a more indepth villain, with more complexities and (gasp) - an admiration for the hero.

The voice acting was excellent, tip-top performances by Emma Thompson, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Brian Murray, Martin Short and David Hyde-Pierce, along with the rest. Hopefully in the years to come this movie will gain the respect it deserves. If Disney marketed this as well as its Pixar movies, and released it away from such fierce competition as Harry Potter, perhaps it could have been the hit they were looking for...