IMDb > Treasure Planet (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Treasure Planet

Treasure Planet More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 22: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

One of my FAVORITE MOVIES! <333

Author: Trowa
8 August 2011

I know this movie came out all most 10 years ago, but i still love it! I watched this movie so many times as a kid and enjoyed every second! I showed all my friends and they all love it too! This movie is so wonderful!!Oh my goodness! I pity all who didn't love it! Treasure Planet is a heart warming story about a boy following his dream, this movie is filled with adventure and a good story too! All the characters are awesome and you love them all right from the beginning! At least I did! It's great for kids, but i think adults will love it too, It's got funny moments, sad moments, And AWESOME MUSIC!!! if you haven't seen it, I highly suggest it!!!!! Hope you all enjoy like i did!!

If you love Star Wars, then you'll love Treasure Planet

Author: braves-5 from United States
2 February 2010

Treasure Planet is an Sci-Fi animated film released by Walt Disney Pictures in November of 2002. When I first saw the previews of this great film, I said "Wow, this is going to be the best movie ever." While it isn't the best movie I've ever seen, it certainly is one of the best Disney movies ever and sadly, it is so underrated. It is the story of a young boy named Jim Hawkins (voiced by Joseph Gordon-Levitt from "Angels in the Outfield") who is very adventurous and yet constantly in trouble. But then, after a space pirate named Billy Bones (voiced by Patrick Mcgoohan) arrives at his mother's inn, he gives Jim the map to an old treasure stashed away by Captain Flint, "The Loot of a Thousand World's." Now, accompanied by Dr. Doppler (voiced by David Hyde Pierce), Jim is determined to find it. He then sets sail aboard the RLS Legacy (named after Robert Louis Stevenson, author of Treasure Island) and meets a cyborg named John Silver (voiced by Brian Murray) who is made out to be a villain (when I first saw this, I thought he was) but actually turns out to be the father figure Jim never had. I found a few similarities to Star Wars: the comical robot B.E.N. (voiced by Martn Short) is similar to C-3PO in quite a few ways and the concept of a Solar Surfer (which was an amazing sequence) is similar to the Podracers from "Phantom Menace." My favorite character is definitely Jim. Treasure Planet has everything: action, explosions, suspense, stunning, out of this world animation that combines 2-D and 3-D, a thrilling treasure hunt, lessons of self discovery, and yet another amazing Disney score composed by James Newton Howard. It also stars Emma Thompson (Captain Amelia), Michael Wincott (Scroop), and Roscoe Lee Browne (Mr. Arrow). This is a movie I own on DVD (I have a lot of Disney movies) and if you haven't seen it yet, rent it. Rating: 10/10!

If you crave adventure and excitement then Treasure Planet (PG), now showing at The Regent Theatre in Te Awamutu, is a must see film.

Author: Chris Gardner from Otorohanga, New Zealand
19 December 2002

Based on the classic adventure story Treasure Island, by Robert Louis Stevenson, the animation team at Disney have put a fresh spin on the story by setting it in space. But this is not some futuristic retelling of the story as sailing ships haven't been replaced by rocket ships, rather they have been elevated to sailing the solar winds. The old Benbow Inn, home of Jim Hawkins, looks like it came straight out of the 18th century novel, as do the character's clothes. The fatherless Hawkins, voiced by Joseph Gordon-Levitt, is still at the fore of the adventure and his protagonist is still a one-armed and one-legged pirate named John Silver (voiced by Brian Murray). Plenty goes on between these two characters and there's lots to learn about the fate of fatherless children. The movie is worth seeing for this relationship alone which is not all that it seems. The ship's captain is a female feline called Captain Amelia who is superbly voiced by British trouper Emma Thompson who gives the character a fabulous aristocratic air. Martin Short provides the voice for the Bio Electronic Navigator (BEN) who lost his electronic mind after being marooned on the Treasure Planet while The Prisoner's very own Patrick McGoohan gives Billy Bones his voice. It may be animated, but there are some breathtaking special effects in this film that would rival some of this year's top special effects extravaganzas. Far better than the latest or previous Harry Potter films, Treasure Planet is a great family film. Parents wishing to introduce their children to reading and want to choose something other than Harry Potter could not do better. They could take their children to see the movie and then encourage them to read the original, discussing the many differences as they go.

Directed by Ron Clements and John Musker, Treasure Planet is a must for animation fans, those who love the original Treasure Island and those who enjoy films of the science fiction and fantasy genre.

A Good film with a bad marketing plan

Author: mschoolik from Phoenixville, PA
7 December 2002

I took my two year old and she loved the film. It was a slight variation on Stevenson's Treasure Island but not as different from any other Disney film adaption. The film has quite stunning to watch. The flying ship variation was a welcome twist to a worn out movie subject. I do not think the movie bastardized stevenson as much as it merely updated the story. The characters are quite colorful and as well-rounded as much as disney can do for a young audience without boring them to death. People tend to forget that the book was really about the relationship between Silver and Jim not the treasure nor the pirates. This relationship is stressed in the film. I think Disney missed their mark with their target audience and it suffered from poor advertising. I would go as far as saying it did not have the usual disney backing. Heck, they didnt even have action figures. My recommendation: Go see it. Little kids will enjoy it and so will a younger audience from the 4-8 range. The only downside is that the film did not exist on multiple levels for both kids and adults

So So

Author: Alexis (thegreatlexini) from Joshua, Texas
4 December 2002

I wanted to see this so I took a long my younger brother, he wanted to leave within the first ten minutes. I don't know what it was about the film itself but it wasn't very heartfelt, or maybe I've just heard the story too much for it to have any impact anymore. I loved Titan A.E. Why did the previews say that it was like Star Wars? I saw nothing really Star Wars like about it. I think Disney has lost it's touch. Don't get me wrong, my little brother loves Lilo & Stitch but I think the fun went out of animated Disney movies when they stopped having music in them. Or maybe it's just me. Could be me.

I would have loved to see the movie in Imax format, and had antcipated it for quite sometime. It just didn't live up to what I thought it should be.

My daughter loved it...I didn't.

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
26 August 2014

I only saw "Treasure Planet" last night--well over a decade after it debuted. Most of this is because I really dislike "Treasure Island", the story on which it is based. I am not sure if it's because the book is bad, but I've simply seen too many versions and I wish Hollywood would put a moratorium on it. This problem is even worse with "A Christmas Carol"--an all too familiar story and too many versions have been made. However, just the day before I saw "Muppet Treasure Island" and loved it, so I thought I'd try "Treasure Planet"--mostly because the same daughter that got me to watch this Muppet movie also loved "Treasure Planet".

Well, although I love Sarah and respect her opinions (in most cases), I was NOT especially fond of this film. But, in order to spare her, I just smiled and said nothing when the movie was complete. So, if you are reading this, DON'T tell her I reviewed the film!!

The story is basically the plot from the famous story, although it's set in a weird anachronistic future world. Although they have space travel and lasers, so much looks like 18th century Britain. This didn't make sense, but it really didn't bother me. It also looked like the old Dreamcast/PS2 game "Skies of Arcadia"--about a futuristic world with weird sailing ships that flew across the skies...filled with pirates. I could accept this, strange as it was. I also could accept the very strange animation. While the combination of 2D hand-drawn characters, CGI and what Disney calls 'Deep Canvas' is odd, it's also very striking and would have looked great as a 3D film.

What bothered me about the film were two things. First, it was too much like the original story and offered few surprises. "Muppet Treasure Island" worked because it took many liberties with the story--and helped to make it seem new. It also was quite funny. Little about "Treasure Island" seemed new or funny...just tiresome. Second, and most importantly, it featured some of the most unlikable characters in Disney history. With the possible exception of Gurgi from "The Black Cauldron", B.E.N. from "Treasure Planet" is the most annoying and unappealing character in the history of the studio. Every time he talked, I wanted SOMEONE to shoot him in order to shut him up--he was THAT annoying!! Another difficult to like character was Long John Silver--a serious problem since he is one of the most noticeable character in the story. He's a weird cyborg...and I just didn't understand why they did this to him. With a million and one gadgets popping out of his cyborg arm, I just found this to be a major distraction for the character. A few other characters were also quite annoying but they weren't major characters in the film--such as the slug-like thing that made farting noises and Ben Bones. I hated them but they were used sparingly, so I could handle their annoying personalities.

So, overall, despite inventive animation, I was left really bored and unhappy with this movie due to the writing. I also noticed that most reviewers really loved it or really hated it--I happened to be one who hated it.

Calling all 4th-7th Grade Teachers!

Author: tater-17 from United States
14 September 2008

This is SUCH a good movie. There's not much I can (or am able to) add to the previous review regarding the technical aspects of Treasure Planet. But, let me tell you that coming from an educator's standpoint (middle school), this film is AWESOME. First and foremost, because the movie didn't do that well at the box office, you're not showing the kids something they've seen a bejillion times before. The excellent animation sequences really grab ahold of students, and they are definitely digging on the film and getting into the story. Then, if you've been working with your class reading the original "Treasure Island," you can have the kids create any number of class discussions/activities - from how did they think the creators of Treasure Planet did updating the story (and should a classic work like Treasure Island be updated?), what would they do differently, etc. - OR - have them work in groups and create posters showing the differences and similarities between the original work and this one. Finally, the whole "I'm Still Here" sequence opens the door for soooo much class discussion, especially regarding family life, troubled youth, gangs, etc. Most people not involved with young people in middle school are shocked to find out that gangs are such a Real Issue that these kids have to deal with. The fact that Jim's dad is absent, that his mom works so hard and is a good woman but can't seem to get her son straight, that Jim is taken under the wing of Silver opens up SO MUCH discussion. Is Jim a bad person? Why does he want to form a connection to Silver? Is Silver entirely a bad person? etc. This movie probably wouldn't work very well for high schoolers, but you could most definitely show it to your 4th, 5th, 6th and even 7th graders, and get some really good discussion/essay work. I love the subtleties (for Disney, anyway) that are here. Disney did so well with this, and got so many things right - great story, great plot, nice nuances, beautiful animation - it's sad that it didn't do well when it was released, but it's NOT TOO LATE to introduce it to young people who should and need to see it. MY ESTEEMED FELLOW TEACHERS - BUY YOUR OWN COPY OR GET YOUR SCHOOL LIBRARY TO BUY IT. YOU WON'T BE SORRY.

animated treasure

Author: sketchyninja from az
8 July 2007

A fantastic tale and is wonderfully rewritten for space. Animation is breathtaking with the outer space scenes drawn so well that it looks like it was taken from a telescope. Characters are typical for a Disney movie and you feel for them and what they are struggling through. The heroes and villains are done remarkably well, with one of the multi-limbed antagonists taking a special place in cartoon villainy. It has straight action all the way through with very little time for breath and makes you almost believe that you could actually travel through space like this. A real rush with the hoverboard scenes. A superb action movie for the family with a few genuine scary moments and images thrown in.

Disney as it should be

Author: Potcher from United Kingdom
13 March 2007

I'm giving this 10, as its present rating is 6.5 and that's way too low.If you're reading this to decide whether to watch it or not, just watch it, I promise you won't be disappointed. I saw this in the cinema and it made for a very uplifting experience. After being swamped with films with big visuals but no characters or plot this was a breath of fresh air. These are Disney characters as they used to be, with plenty of personality but the visuals are bang up to date with a good mix of hand drawn and CGI. I read a post on the IMDb boards saying how it suffered from a management battle within Disney but the poster opined that Walt would have liked it and I have to agree

An exciting, glistening Disney film! :)

Author: Mightyzebra from Scotland
11 March 2007

This film is based on "Treasure Island". It is unlike the book in the way that this is set in space with aliens! The main character is Jim Hawkins (who's a human in this film) who finds a treasure map to the legendary treasure planet, found only by a pirate called captain Flint 100 years ago. Jim and his friend Dr. Doppler go out to find the treasure, along with a suspicious crew...

Here are the five main reasons I love this film and why it is special to me.

One: The animation is beautifully done, a mix between cartoon and computer animation. Two: The characters are excellent, except for Mr. Scroop, I don't really like the way he looks. My favourite characters are B.E.N, Dr. Doppler and Captain Amelia. Three: The storyline is well-done and exciting. I like the plot very much too. Four: The voices picked for B.E.N. (Martin Short), Dr. Doppler (David Hyde Pierce) and Captain Amelia (Emma Thompson) are very good voices. Five: There's a good song in the middle of this film called "I'm Still Here". I like to sing along to it when it comes up and "The Goo Goo Dolls" sing it well.

So, if you haven't seen it, DO! HIGHLY Recommended! :) ;) :()