IMDb > Treasure Planet (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 22:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Getting closer...

Author: J. Phillips (smashattack) from Colorado
14 January 2003

Disney has been attempting their latest genre, "action/adventure", and Treasure Planet is yet another of these more adult films. So far Disney hasn't done too bad in this genre, since we are now free of sitting through annoying songs and have more time to see the actual movie.

Treasure Planet is loosely based on Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island. However, this one takes place in a futuristic setting; the robots are replaced with small hover-craft, the large clippers and ships with unusual opened spaceships (which makes one wonder how the characters breath in space), parrots with morphing creatures, and one-legged pirates with cyborgs.

It's really quite entertaining to see how Disney "linked" Treasure Planet to Treasure Island. Billy Bones goes into the Admiral Benbow and gruffly states, "Beware the cyborg!" which gives it kind of a humorous twist. I was pleased with the changes.

Some parts are a little out of place. Such as the colonial clothing during this futuristic galaxy. It's strange to see a boy with a ponytail and wearing colonial clothing while gazing at a marvelous 3-D holographic map.

The plot is the same as Treasure Island, which never really appealed to me until now. It's more exciting if they are no longer seafaring men, but stargazing astronomers. I was impressed with some newer additions to the story line in order to make the movie a little more thrilling, such as the black hole scene.

Treasure Planet has great graphics, excellent animation, superb actors, and an innovated plot that is astounding. While not the best animation of the year (that goes to Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron), it surely is worthwhile. I enjoyed it from beginning to end, even the rather amusing and unexpected love that grows within the movie.

One of the better characters is Morph, Long John's pet morph. He has a quirky attitude to everything and provides the comic relief much better than B.E.N. The robot was a little annoying, and I feel that he didn't do much to help the plot.

All in all, Treasure Planet is definitely worthwhile. It's a great sci-fi movie from Disney, based on one of the more popular classics of our time.

Disneys greatest film yet? could be....

Author: tama_otaku from United States
31 March 2006

What a film!, action, drama, suspense, adventure, not to mention many other qualities any good film should have and qualities lacking in all but one other Disney film, namely the hunchback of Notre dame. the story focuses on young Jim Hawkins who through the greatest adventure of his life undergoes an incredibly emotional character transformation, from thug to respected spacer(sailer, but in space, get it?). and along the way is morally guided by a rather gruff and cynical cyborg, john silver, who happens to see in Jim "the makings of greatness", and so his heart is melted by Jim's situation(namely the loss of his father at a very young age) leading silver to disregard the ribbing's of his crew and lead young Hawkins to greatness. the film has its heart breakers to as at the end of the adventure, silver being found out as a pirate, must leave Hawkins side for what is quite possibly forever, don't forget the Kleenex, but leaves with him his beloved pet morph, an adorable little... eh... thing that can take on the shape of whatever it wants, and so if you want to see what i believe to be the greatest Disney film of all time, see treasure planet, you will not be disappointed!

The True Critics

Author: smeade1968 from Illinois
28 November 2002

Does it really matter what the "professional" critics think? My 5-year old's opinion is the only one that counts to me. He loved it and wants to go back again. He thought it was wonderful that ships could fly and never doubted that it was possible. Even though I took him to a late viewing he stayed awake and that is the best rating of all.....

A Treasure!

Author: fort_linkin_minor_park from United States
14 January 2007

Treasure Planet is a Gem. Period.

I keep hearing how this movie will never be part of Disneys "Classics" Well I like this movie more than some of Disney's so called "Classics" A great story, amazing animation, believable characters and relationships, great music that actually fits the movies atmosphere. This movie has so many amazing elements, that its flaws look so small compared to all the good this movie has to offer.

The only reason Im not giving it a perfect score is, even though I adore this movie, I don't adore it as much as The Iron Giant, The Secret of NIMH, and The Little Mermaid, but this movie is still a Disney Gem that needs to be given much more credit that it has been given.

I highly recommend it! I give you one warning though...there is a robot...that you will either love or hate.

Grab your space boards, and fly away with: Treasure Planet!

Author: bound-to-sanzo from United Kingdom
29 October 2005

*THIS MAY CONTAIN SOME SPOILERS*

Amazing! This has to be the best animated film I have ever seen! Based on the beautifully composed classic, Treasure Island, Treasure Planet comes soaring in, as a futuristic version of the tale.

The animation is magnificent, with the 2D and CGI animation techniques cleverly merged to give such a professional and real-to-life finish. The characters are fantastic, and the voice talents bring them to life in every case.

The story is about a fifteen year old boy, Jim Hawins, who has been scared emotionally when he was very young, when his father left. Jim has a stroke of luck and finds a small, golden sphere and unlocks its power. To his amazement, he finds out it is a map to a treasure planet, where the evil pirate, Captin Nathaniel Flint, has stored his bounty. He is immediately whisked off into a wild adventure, meeting John Silver, the friendly galley worker, who he starts to look up too as a substitute father, and many other wacky characters too.

People who say that this film is a disappointment, what on earth is wrong with it? Anyway, I loved it - make your own decision...

Wonderful movie

Author: Spinelicker from United States
3 April 2006

* - This review contains spoilers - *

Okay. So we have our movie here, "Treasure Planet". Yes the name may sound a bit cheesy, and yes it is another adaptation of Treasure Island. A lot of people just can't get past those things and thus end up watching it with a far more criticizing eye then it should be viewed with. It's its own movie, even if it was created out of Robert Louis Stevenson's book. If you rent or buy the movie, just keep that in mind. Don't get caught up with scenes being played out incorrectly to the book or new characters added that shouldn't be there.

I found the movie very enjoyable for many different reasons, but it's the characters that stood out most to me. They were each animated with, in my opinion, practically as much life as real people.

There were no token villains like in the majority of Disney movies. The "bad" characters in this one were just people (and aliens) who had different motivation, namely greed for treasure. Though perhaps the spider creature Mr. Scroop might be an exception, but his story is pretty vague.

Also one thing that was absent was the typical "guy-and-girl" relationship, where the main male and female characters fall in love over the course of the movie. Instead this happens to supporting characters.

On the subject of relationships, I must definitely mention that the one between the main character Jim Hawkins and the cyborg John Silver was perhaps the most original one I've ever seen in an animated movie (or maybe also live action). Since Jim's father left he and his mother early in his life, he didn't grow up having much of a male mentor. On the journey that he eventually ends up in, Silver then came into the picture and accidentally became a type of unofficial surrogate father. Teaching Jim about the ships and keeping an eye out for him among the crew members. And yet at the same time Silver was also a sort of main villain, planning a mutiny on the ship and aiming to steal the riches from Flint's Trove. But still, he really did have a friendship with Jim, no matter how much he denied it to the crew. The mutiny did come about and Jim heavily interfered with his lifelong plans...but even when he had several opportunities to get rid of him and save the plans, he chose to let Jim live instead.

I've never been a very articulate person in describing things, but anyone who's watched the film would understand what I'm trying to say about the originality of the characters. Words never do many things justice.

Perhaps I'll recreate a better review if I end up with a way to explain myself more elegantly

A great movie!

Author: m-anny from Germany
27 September 2005

I am a teenager and go to a grammar school in Germany and when I want to watch a movie I am always very careful in choosing. But I know, that usually Disney films are very good and have a good to high standard. I first saw Treasure Planet in cinema and when I got out of the building I just thought something like "That was fantastic!". Well, I know that I sometimes behave a bit childish, but it is important for me, that the movie I'm watching has got a message and has a standard and Treasure Planet is a film like that. So everyone who likes pirates, space, adventure, speed, a young rebel and treasure hunt is right with this movie. I think that some people know the story Treasure Island from R.L.Stevenson. (A ship in the movie is named after him - R.L.S. Legacy) Traesure Planet is based on this story but it's much more exciting in the film. I would say, everyone can watch that movie, because it's funny, full of speed and adventures and not too cruel - but: You should not hate strange characters!

I loved It!!!

Author: blueleo65 from United States
11 December 2002

I just watched Treasure Island, and I loved it!!!

I think it's a serious attempt on Disney's part to offer an animated feature that adults can apreciate.

The animation is spectacular, the action is great, but the reason I liked it so much is the relationship between Hawkins and Silver. It's a deeper and more complex relationship than I've seen in any other Disney animated movie. I loved the fact that they showed Silver"s human side. Even though Silver is a shady character, somehow him and Hawkins connect. I also respect the fact that Disney didn't change Silver into an Angel so that we accept his positive connection with Hawkins, he stayed just as crooked at the end as the begining.

What is disapointing me about Disney is the fact that they are doing a terrible job of marketing this movie. There is no reason why this movie can't be the blockbuster that it should be. The fact that I didn't even know this movie existed until a few weeks ago, or that I haven't heard any buzz about it, makes me think something is just not right. Someone at Disney doesn't want this to be a hit. Heck, I haven't even seen it advertised anywhere (even though, I think it's a gorgeous movie poster).

Shame on you Disney marketing!!!

a moving heartfelt work of beauty and wonder

Author: warren from Plano, Texas
28 November 2002

For me there has always been one absolute way of knowing a classic when I see it, i almost cried. Now the macho face I pretend to be my own is hard to crack, but by the final scenes of Treasure Planet i felt it begin to crumble. This film has moved me to laughter, joy, and tears. A classic if ever there was one, this is one of Disney's best in a long time. A must see for people of all ages.

One of the best animated films

Author: gerhajdu from Hungary
22 July 2006

Simply stunning. Treasure PLanet is an adaptation of Treasure Island and I didn't know that movie but I think it's very good as a pirate story, so I didn't care how faithful adaptation it is. The first score for the film is the visuals and atmosphere, it is the most fascinating animated film I've ever seen. Combination of old-fashioned technology and hi-tech is a great idea that makes the film look really unique.

The second score is characters, because they are so lifelike and lovable. The connection between Jim Hawkins and the cyborg John Silver is touching and memorable, it's absolutely the best part of the film. I loved the major characters too, especially because of humour, like Dr. Doppler, Morph and B.E.N. (who can be usually too annoying). In fact, my favourite is Captain Amelia who is a hard, refine and brave captain and her half-cat appearance very suit her. I loved.

The story after all is enjoyable and it is serious enough to adults enjoy it. The end is great and (at leas for me) surprising. I have found some plot holes but eventually main storyline is beaten.

I can recommend Treasure Planet for anyone who likes good traditional animation and fairy-tale-like science fiction. Just take a look at Disney's new masterpiece and you will surely have a good time.

Page 2 of 22:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]