IMDb > Treasure Planet (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 22:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Wonderful!

Author: Blackbird from Ireland
12 February 2006

I loved T.P from the first time I saw the preview. I went to see it with my friends and we were just dazzled by the brilliance of the story. (sorry about my cruddy spelling)I instantly took a liking to young Jim Hawkins and the charming John Silver, and fell in love with the wonderful animation. It's been three years since the movie came out, and I'm still crazy about it. I've watched it over 300 times. It is truly wonderful and I'd recommend it to anyone who likes real honest to god animated movies.

About the Disney's biggest flop thing, chill out people. That's no reason not to watch the movie. It's simply a mater of opinion. If you don't like the outer space theme, or whatever, then don't watch it. Just don't go around discrediting it....There are fans of the movie out there, lots of them, so just CHILL!

Hope I was at least a little helpful! -Blackbird

For Roy

Author: Jeff Campbell from United States
1 February 2006

Everyone show watch and buy this movie if for no other reason than to support Roy Disney against Michael Eisner!!

This poor movie suffered from political mudslinging between these two. As "Treasure Island" was one of the Disney company's first and most successful live-action pictures, Roy had always been passionate about making an animated version. Eisner, ever Roy's opponent, was in charge of the advertising budget. So, when Treasure planet was released, without any typically "Disney" fanfare, it met with unsurprisingly small attendance.

The day after it was released, Eisner held a press conference, declaring "Treasure Planet" a flop, and blaming it for Disney's poor 3rd quarter performance. Roy promptly quit the company his uncle and father had built.

As far as the movie itself goes, the controversy robbed what I think is the finest example of a "Disney" movie since Mulan. The animation is spectacular, the vocal talents are superb, and Brian Murray is one of the greatest Long John Silvers I've ever heard.

But beyond the technical qualities, "Treasure Planet" captures the spirit of Disney much better than recent Disney debacles (see Valiant, Chicken Little, Home on the Range). I think the end product came out very nicely, and, larger than that, I think Walt would have been proud to put his name on this one.

Incredible Visuals Compensate for an Overly Familiar Story

Author: kalel6868 from Louisville, Kentucky
3 December 2002

Robert Louis Stephenson's `Treasure Island' has always been one of my favorite classic stories. The tale of a teenage boy thrust into the adventure of a lifetime features pirates, swordfights, an ocean voyage, betrayals, and buried treasure among many other classic adventure-story ingredients – what's not to love?

It's been filmed countless times before, in many various incarnations, including one with the Muppets and an animated version starring the Monkees' Davy Jones; so what new way can be thought up to retell this hundred-year-old story for twenty-first century audiences?

Set it in space, of course; a brilliant idea that pays off handsomely.

To be fair, TREASURE PLANET is not the first film to set the story among the stars; that distinction belongs to the 1987 Italian live-action TV Mini-series TREASURE ISLAND IN OUTER SPACE. But that version has scarcely been seen outside of Europe, and I seriously doubt that it could hold a candle to the stunning visuals seen here.

And the key word here is VISUALS. This is arguably the most visually stunning animated film to come out of the powerhouse Disney animation factory, EVER. The canvas on which they paint here is wide and broad, and full of breathtaking color and beauty. Pirate ships with solar sails soar across a canopy of stars, and behemoths that look like whales trumpet along beside them. Alien beings both friendly and fierce populate the universe, and futuristic machinery stands side-by-side with nineteenth century technology. I've never seen anything quite like it.

Oh, and there is a story here as well; amazingly, it is quite faithful to the source material in both outline and details, only deviating from the text where necessary to transplant the action from the oceans of nineteenth century Earth to the planets and solar systems of the future.

It centers around Jim Hawkins, a fatherless boy constantly getting into trouble with the law for his rambunctious, extreme-sports ways, who gets the chance to prove himself when a dying pirate leaves him a treasure map with his dying breath. In short order he finds himself cabin boy on a stargoing vessel bound for the legendary Treasure of a Thousand Worlds; along the way path is blocked by pirates and collapsing stars and other perils of interstellar travel.

If I have any complaint at all with the film it would be that it sticks a little TOO close to the novel, some of the nineteenth century ideals just don't ring true in the futuristic setting; but that's easily forgivable compared to the wondrous images this magic film offers.

Another score for Disney.

Author: greatmumu6 from United States
21 March 2006

Let's put it this way, with no fan-girlish outbursts (Which is pretty hard). This movie has pretty much everything required of a superb movie.

As is the case of most Disney movies, there is a light-hearted side and a serious side, but this movie is slightly more serious (my preference). This movie has so much heart and a lovable cast of characters. I don't think it was completely for teenage boys, it just centered around one with a situation that is sadly familiar with many of us.

The atmosphere is such an imaginative one, who cares if you can't breathe in the vacuum of space? (The book from Disney explains that this is a kind of parallel universe.)Nebulae, galaxies, comets...they all are stunning with these 18th century ships. I personally think that most spaceships look rather alienating.

The soundtrack may be drowned out at moments, but the times you hear it, it fits well. The song by The Goo Goo dolls' lead singer is perfect for Jim, and the sequence in the movie is more worth watching than the music video! And the story! I think the depth, connections and growth of the characters are certainly levels above Treasure Island, thanks to the Disney touch. (I really don't want to spoil anything.)Just buy it, if you haven't over the last three years.

Amazing Movie

Author: darklord2777 from United States
9 May 2006

This movie, even though given a bad rap by the critics, happens to be one of the best movies in the world. If you have not seen it, step away from your computer and rush out to get it. I don't wanna see you till you have that movie. Got it? Good now watch it. This movie's amazing graphics, twisting and riveting storyline, although based on the book Treasure Island it has many changes, including story changes, characters, and its planets not islands. Its amazing even though made by Disney anyone from age 10-100 can love this movie! The final sense with Silver and Hawkins is amazing and yet, in a way a bit sad. (That might have been a spoiler thats why I checked Spoiler) I also Loved the Music, it was amazing. The greatness in the whole film was flawless. The song "I'm still here" by the goo goo dolls was spectacular. I could not find anything about this whole film that did not make me smile, with the voices fitting the characters perfectly, and the amzaing graphics! This was a amazing film by Disney. It would make Robert Louis Stevenson proud, especially for the name of the ship the RLS Legicy; or the Robert Louis Stevenson Legicy. You could really feel Jims struggle, and Silver's emotions. I could not find one flaw with this movie! I gave it a 11 out of 10.

Worth more than the credit everyone gives it...

Author: Jessica (blueraptor77@gmail.com) from Fl and NY
19 September 2005

Upfront, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie beyond what I thought I would take from it. Being an animation major I can thoroughly pick apart most movies, especially what Disney puts out now-a-days. Unfortunately for their movie Treasure Planet, either it was ahead of itself ambitiously, or it was rumors that spread like wildfire (when it was being released) that killed it. Actually, that's why I didn't see this film until very recently, because of everyone's (and mine at the time) prejudice against Disney features springing up amongst way too many viewers, and especially for this film. I believed them that this film was terrible, and subsequently never got to see it until a week ago. Man, everyone was wrong.

I'll be honest, and give it its weak points: The main character (Jim) is quite blank and not very well developed. Which is bad because an audience cannot connect to a flat, central character. Secondly, the CG (although very well stylized) I think didn't mesh as well with the 2D animation as it should have. Other than that...you might pick apart a few other things about the movie (and no, the dialouge isn't that bad. it's a G rated movie...it's not supposed to be incredibly complex).

Treasure Planet keeps pretty tight in line with the original classic, "Treasure Island", even when softening it down for a younger audience. I grew up with that story, and had no problem with the adaptation in Planet. Also, this film contains two masterfully animated characters, John Silver and Dr. Dilbert Doppler (animated by two masters, Glen Keane and Sergio Pablos, respectively). If you're an animation enthusiast, these two are gold to watch (especially the pencil tests in the special features on the DVD).

This whole review is a little long-winded, but in closing, this movie is more than what was said of it. If anything dealt the killing blow in this movie failing at the box office, it was everyone's bad word for it. Not true. Please see for yourself!

Supremely rippin ride!

Author: gkbowood from tx
3 February 2007

Cast yer sails matey...we be blastin outta these worlds! It was all good: cast,script, music, and the effects animation was the BEST! So why the rate of 8 then, well I really didn't like B.E.N.'s personality, but I'm sure others out there will love him. There are plenty of funny moments, endearing moments (without being sappy), and just the right touch of suspense to keep you hanging on. I was so glad the romance was played down for once, along with those endless Disney love songs. The one scene in the movie that is accompanied by song is such a score! Completes the scene of who Jim is and how he feels with just that one song. Bravo Johnny Rzeznik! I plan to go out and buy this DVD. I only wish I could have a Morphy on my computer to play with; Disney missed the boat big time on that gold.

Wonderful!! Highly underrated

Author: arrohed1025 from United States
23 December 2005

When this film first came out, I was quite a bit skeptical, given what I thought was another lame Disney storyline like Atlantis, Emperor's New Groove and Mulan, and opted out of seeing it in theaters. Now 3 years later I was curious to see what it was all about, so I gave it a chance and rented it. To my surprise, I was blown away by the brilliant animation and complex storyline (going beyond the book), and wondered how this film could have been so overlooked. The coming of age story about a teenage boy deals with real issues in today's world, and how each of us has our own potential to reach. I also loved the score and the music by John Rzeznik. The only complaints I have is that Jim looks much older than his supposed age (15), perhaps 17 or so, and that the robot was obnoxious and shouldn't have been added in at the end. All in all, I'd have to put this on my list of favorite Disney films since The Lion King and Pocahontas.

It was cool for a Sci-Fi version of Treasure Island

Author: emasterslake from United States
15 March 2006

I saw this in theaters back in Late 2002.

Treasure Planet is inspired by the famous book, Treasure Island. Only this version is taken place in another universe where ships sail in space and Aliens and Human live in the same community.

Jim Hawkin a guy who's about 17, lives with his mom who works at their Inn which is their home. Jim never got to spend much time with his dad since his dad came and go due to whatever job he's in. Jim hasn't made his mom proud for him, specially when he keeps trespassing factories on his Sail Board and getting caught by the police. His mom doesn't want to see her own son sent away to a juvenile hall.

Life seems bad for Jim, till one day a pirate came out of nowhere telling Jim to take an object that a crew of pirates are after. The orb Jim got is a map that shows you the location of Treasure Planet. A tale Jim heard from as a kid is no longer a bedtime story to him. It actual exists and he's determine to go there and be sure he'll make his mom proud for him.

I don't care if many people disliked this movie. But I really enjoyed it. Even if it's one of the PG rated Animated Disney movies.

The CGI and 2-D animation combined together makes it very visual. It's rated PG only for Action violence, and a few non important characters die. It also has a would be villain and an actual villain in it too.

I recommend it to those who like sci-Fi animated films or those who are into the unique Disney movies. It's something the whole family can enjoy together.

Swashbuckling Science Fiction

Author: Company_of_Wolves from Scotland
16 January 2006

Treasure Planet is the adaptation of the classic swashbuckling children's tale of Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson. R.L.S originally wrote Treasure Island chapter by chapter for his son, as a bed time story for each night. When the story was first published it was actually condemned by some! Claiming that such violent tales encouraged boys to become ner-do-well's such as the pirates it glorifies! Suffice to say, Disney's futuristic adaptation fails to capture the rebellious nature of the original Treasure Island. Fans and fanatics can gripe all they want if a scene is missing from the book, or if a character's been changed, but as long as the core meaning of the story remains, it's essence. Then adaptation has been successful. Treasure Planet does not capture the essence of the book entirely, in fact it lacks a lot of it's power due mainly to the protagonist. Jim Hawkins of Treasure Planet does not suffer as much as his archaic counterpart, therefore his character does not under go the same heroic journey and does not emerge as profoundly changed as R.L.S original did.

Aside from that, Treasure Planet makes for a fine adventure film for the whole family. There are moments of joy and pathos to be found throughout. And it is interesting to see a science fiction twist on a pirating classic.

Page 1 of 22:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]