IMDb > A Thousand Men and a Baby (1997) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

A Thousand Men and a Baby (TV) More at IMDbPro »

One of the better T V movies

Author: johncros from Rotherham, England
24 June 2000

I accidently came across this movie while surfing the satellite channels the other day (in England the movie was called Narrow Escape) I wasn't going to watch it but nothing else was playing at 7am so I settled down to watch. I was glad that I did. I'm a bit of a sucker for a soppy tear-jerker (especially about kids)and I thought that some of the performances would have done justice to a big budget blockbuster. Of course Hollywood dressed up the truth a bit and added a bit more sap than was necessary, but the story shone out and I was deeply touched by it.

So touched in fact that I began to search the internet for details on the ship, the men and young Danny. I was a little disappointed that I couldn't find any sites with a reference to them. I hope someone rectifies that situation soon.

I loved the movie

Why isn't this out on DVD?

Author: ScarletPimpernel64 from Yukon, OK
14 April 2007

This is a tearjerker, and knowing that this is based on fact makes it all the better. We need more uplifting films such as this for the family in this day and age. So often, our military is shown in such a bad light, and it is SO refreshing for them to be shown as the heroes they are. This is a wonderful, WONDERFUL film that everyone should watch, especially as a family. This film lets us know how wonderful the military can be, and what the family can be like. Sadly, we don't have television movies out anymore, thanks to horrid 'reality' shows. I wish TVMs like this came out more often. I miss them. PLEASE . . . put this on DVD.

Great True Story

Author: JalamaBeach from CA.
7 July 2007

As I mentioned in a previous comment this movie is one of my favorites. The story is heartwarming and enjoyable for the whole family. There is only one violent scene and no cussing or nudity. I usually avoid movies that have anything to do with war, because I don't care for movies with a lot of violence or destruction. But this movie is more about team effort and working toward a worthy cause. It has numerous references to the Korean War without being immersed in the graphic details. The story shines a bright light on the sacrifices and effort that many in our military perform without a second thought of themselves. The cast does a great job of drawing you into the complexities of the situations. I would highly recommend this movie for families with older kids.

Any way if you are interested in trying to find this film for purchase or to rent, it is available on DVD as "The Narrow Escape."

Where to get the full story

Author: from United States
29 May 2006

My father is a WWII vet and is occupying himself these days by looking up old stories from the war. He read me the story of "baby-san on board" last time he visited. Since then I have been trying to find the movie based on this story. I thought the movie was produced well before 1997, so I'm wondering if this is the one I was thinking of or if there was a previous production. But I can answer the question of where to find more information. To see a write-up and photos of the real story behind this movie, visit: http://www.koreanchildren.org/. Choose "Feature Stories" then choose "The Navy's Baby."

The story is even more touching knowing that it is based on a true story. But the question must be asked, "What about the other children of war that are not loved?"

An AWESOME movie

Author: JalamaBeach from CA.
20 December 2002

This is one of those movies that will probably some day be a classic. It is the incredible true story of a navy rescue of a newborn baby at the end of the Korean War. This Christmas story helps you to realize there are some good people out there that don't mind sacrificing for a good cause. Richard Thomas does an outstanding job playing the part of Dr. Hugh Keenan who gently nurses back to health an abandoned baby as the crew of the Point Cruise seeks to find a good home for the child. Although the movie may rank a "PG" rating for some brief scenes of war casualties. It overall is a great movie that the whole family can enjoy. This is one of my absolute favorite Christmas movies and I can't wait to purchase my own copy.

Great Movie

Author: SaltyRacer
4 August 2001

This is one of my favorite movies in the past 10 years. A wonderful true story that causes us to think about what is really important in life. The efforts of the 1,000 men to help an abandoned baby are very heart warming and encouraging. This is a great family movie that everyone can enjoy without foul language and nudity. This movie deserves an A+ all the way around.

true story.. better then fiction! (may contain spoilers!)

Author: Kayess from Netherlands
3 January 2000

May contain spoilers! The true story of a Korean/American Baby and the efforts of a naval captain, doctor and priest.. not forgetting the whole crew of the naval aircraft carrier "Point Cruz" to first nurse back to health and then find a home for the little Danny Ascom Cruz. Great performances by McRaney(captain), Thomas(doctor)and Banks(priest) as well as Doris Roberts as Sister Philomena. Makes you realize that in helping others we are as much helping ourselves become better humans.