IMDb > SLC Punk! (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
SLC Punk!

SLC Punk! More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 32: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Punk Rock, Anarchy, and Redneck beatings!

Author: XMaggotchild666x from Washington
27 April 2002

A really great movie for those that are into the punk scene and even those that are not. SLC Punk! Delivers many, many laughs, and even some decent acting. It was written with a true punk perspective to it, and was seemingly well informed on punks. It has memorable characters and lines as well.

Its a movie about the lives of 2 punks in slc (salt lake city)

Author: munkyshines from long island, N.Y.
3 April 2002

I liked this movie a lot, I have a copy. Its not a movie for everybody but I still think that you should see it for yourself and don't take others opinions, you might like it. Its not boring at all, unless your a action lover. Its not a "lets explode everything" kind of movie, its a movie about punks if your expecting something else then get a different movie.

AWESOME FLICK

Author: katie from Belgium
3 April 2002

This is the best movie I have ever seen. It is not crowded with special affects (it does have some though but it's cool). It has a very honest straight up plot. The people in this film are not one dimensional. It is awesome and I love it. James Merendino is awesome for making htis flick, along with all the actors, writers, and anyone else involved in this film. It is definately a punk cult classic. I give this film all the props in the world and a 10

quality movie

Author: vinnie (v275@attbi.com) from crown point, IN
27 March 2002

I really enjoyed watching this film. The camera shots were excellent. I didnt much care for the way Bob talked he sounded like a baby. Matthew lillard was quite good though. The sound-track went along with the movie well. The storyline was excellent and very applicable to the real world. Unexpected events as well as being very realistic helped make this movie. Id recommend it to all viewers who enjoy a quality storyline and can relate to how good the tripping on acid scene is because its a perfect depiction of the real thing. Great movie. Highly recommended

I was not really part of the punk scene but I had friends who were, and this film truly reminds me of the attitude my punk friends had.

Author: (mtngoat420@hotmail.com) from Oxnard, California
27 March 2002

This film is not going to reach out to everyone. Any person that was a true punk rocker during the late 70's and early 80s will enjoy this film. The philosophy that Steve shares with the camera is pretty straight forward. His parents are a couple of ex-hippies who probably gave him more freedom than most kids growing up then. So the characters spend most of their time partying and fighting with rednecks and skin heads. But what gets me about this movie is that Steve constantly complains about living in Salt Lake City but never makes any attempt to leave. I recommend this flick be watched by anyone who was a punk rocker or heavy metalist, and is now between the ages of 35-40. Later

A pair of punks, fish out of water, in the middle of Mormon territory.

Author: KidCheva from Chicago, IL
17 March 2002

SLC Punk is not your father's movie. It's a tour through Salt Lake City through the eyes of two punks, Stevo and Heroin Bob circa 1985. Stevo makes it clear early that Heroin Bob's name is ironic for the fact that he is petrified of drugs, needles in particular. Stevo narrates the movie in the style of a documentary about punks in the Utah area, and infuses his own bizarre, high energy into the mix. These are not nice, normal kids, as we are told later. The religious prudishness of the region works on the local kids to cause MORE chaos, get into more fights. The entire local teen scene is dissected in a very funny high school film strip quality lecture by Stevo. The scene is shared by Rednecks, Nazis, Mods, Rockers, and New Wavers. Under the surface, there is a thick mix of biblical and apocalyptic imagery. The plot is not remarkably deep, but the emotions feel very real. SLC Punk! is a fun little roller coaster ride. Enjoy.

One of the best movies I've ever seen

Author: Parissa Shareghi from Michigan
2 March 2002

Don't listen to what some of the other users have to say, they are very cynical about this movie. The first time I saw this movie I fell in love with it, as soon as I had the money I went out and bought it. It is generally about two aspiring punks in 1985 who have just graduated from college. They have strong views about the world and life is just partying and sex because it helps them to further ignore the truth that is right in front of them. The main character is Stevo with the strongest views of everyone in the movie, he narrates. The co-star (which is Stevo's best friend in the movie) is Heroin Bob, (who hates needles), who is quite mellowed out compared to Stevo. Stevo doesn't change until the end of the movie when he finds love and he loses a friend. I don't want to give too much away, because you have to see it yourself. This movie won't appeal to you unless the following applies: you like punk, or you are a punk, you like hearing things forthright, you like vivid imagery in films, and you are open-minded. Like the past user who criticized this movie, he obviously didn't have the taste for it. Also, this movie might not appeal to adults as much as it would to teenagers, unless you are a very, very open-minded adult. (I'm 14) Enjoy, Parissa

Not just for "Punks"

Author: skihawk86 from Florida
21 February 2002

I've read a lot of the other reviews...and to me the movie was not about "punks" or even the punk scene in the 80's. It was about realizing that people shouldn't label themselves or others. I mean, Stevo figures out in the end that..well...I'll just quote the movie..."I guess when all is said and done, I was nothing more than a god damn trendy ass poser."

People who call themselves punks aren't rebelling...it's old, it's been done, people know you are so-called punks. So what's the point? I thought the whole idea of the punk ideals was to be rebellious...if you dress like a stereo typical punk... what's the point? Be who you are and don't try to fit in to a specific group. Be you.

Anyway, I'll stop ranting, I'm starting to sound like a guidance counselor i had in 6th grade...

I LOVED the movie...it is now one of my faves...i think everyone should see it and think about the meaning.

Awesome, one of the best I've ever seen.

Author: captainmormon from US
20 February 2002

Ok. This movie was great. Anyone who says otherwise obviously did NOT get the point. No, I'm not going to ramble on about it. I'm simply going to say that you MUST see this movie. Really think about it. It's worth it. It's one of those movies you can't describe, it just is what it is and has to be out there, it HAS to be seen.

Blue hair isn't punk.

Author: juanschwartz from Athens, Ga
12 February 2002

If one more person tells me this movie is the best "punk" movie ever, I'm going to shoot them. It's like they turn it off halfway through. Probably one of the better movies about social status and how you view yourself or lead others to view you as.