IMDb > The Matrix (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Matrix

The Matrix More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 365: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Originality and Direction

Author: Tanner Hayes from United States
17 February 2014

Is the world that we know today really what it seems? Does it seem like we live an orchestrated life defined by what society deems as important? And does it seem that our lives are overly governed by the many rules of both man and nature? These questions are the main currents of Andy and Lana Wachowski's movie The Matrix which challenges what we see as reality today.

Thomas A. Anderson, an orchestrated computer programmer during the day, lives a dual life where he is known as Neo online through his late night computer hacking. Beyond his day job Neo, played by Keanu Reaves, has always sensed and imagined that there was something hidden elsewhere beyond what he considered reality at the time.

After receiving messages and a phone call from an unknown source later identified as Morpheus, played by Laurence Fishbourne, Neo joins a rebellion and becomes aware of the struggle to battle a war against machines in a post human driven world known as the matrix. The matrix is a software system imposed on humans by machines that limits their understanding and capabilities of reality. Neo becomes "the one" as referred to by Morpheus. He is pressed with the problem of breaking the bounds of the matrix and freeing mankind from the control of the machines before the last known unrestricted humans are eliminated.

Neo along with his arch rival Agent Smith, who is a machine within human form, counter each other's personalities in a way that makes the distinction between man and machine that much greater. Agent smith, played by Hugo Weaving, illustrates the emotionless task oriented function of machines. His name in particular suggests the generalization and uniformity of machines. Neo's name contrasts this generalization expressing the individuality of humans as a representative symbol. Hugo Weaving's deep monotonic tone compared to Neo's softer relaxed tone contrasts each other's characters further against one other leading to an even greater distinction between man and machines.

Adding to the distinction of the men controlled by the machines and the men aware of the society ran by the matrix, is the acting of Laurence Fishbourne. Fishbourne as Morpheus is part of the rebellion against the matrix and separates himself from the matrix by his aurora as an all knowing character. His elevated presence and his subtle cues of knowing what is to come next lead to the greater disparity between himself and the people around him. These details portrayed by the main actors lead to the best illustration of a thematic idea unprecedented in a movie up until today.

That unprecedented idea is a movie based on what seems to be reality versus what reality actually is. Likewise artificial intelligence used by mankind in turn fights itself against man in a way that ironically makes humans look less human in the machine made artificial reality. A complex and highly in depth idea for any person to think of let alone direct and visualize clearly. Irony plays it's part also in the scene that describes how machines took over the world during the turn of the 20th century. Instead of humans using machines to help in their energy consumption, Andy and Lana Wachowski have turned the tables in this film. Machines instead farm humans in order to get their energy to run and operate the matrix. The dominator and dominated have essentially flipped roles. The originality of the futuristic film The Matrix questions the viewers perception of what is and isn't real while the actors used within the film support the direction that the film takes which ultimately leaves the viewers questioning and wanting to see more!

Enter Review for Matrix (1999)

Author: vjdaniel01 from Brazil
10 February 2014

the best movies of all,But the movie has plot as well. It has characters that I cared about. From Keanu Reeves' excellent portrayal of Neo, the man trying to come to grips with his own identity, to Lawrence Fishburne's mysterious Morpheus, and even the creepy Agents, everyone does a stellar job of making their characters more than just the usual action "hero that kicks butt" and "cannon fodder" roles. I cared about each and every one of the heroes, and hated the villains with a passion. It has a plot, and it has a meaning...and lo and behold, a plot does help the fight scenes! Just try it, if you haven't seen the movie before. Watch one of the fight scenes. Then watch the whole movie. There's a big difference in the feeling and excitement of the scenes- sure, they're great as standalones, but the whole thing put together is an experience unlike just about everything else that's come to the theaters. Think about it next time you're watching one of the more brainless action flicks...think how much better it COULD be.

Mindblown

Author: NQ Mobile Omar Khan from United States
20 January 2014

When this movie first appeared in the theater I watched it without expecting that I would become so addicted to it. Since then I must have watched it over a hundred times. Why? Well because I couldn't understand it at first, so it took me 2-3 times just to understand what is going on. Not that I'm stupid or something, but every time I watched the movie with a different perspective in mind and "a different pair of eyes". This is one of those rare movies that makes you want to watch it again so you can see the beginning one more time and confirm the theory that you concluded in the end of the movie.

The casting crew is great, although I don't know what will it have come out if Will Smith played the main character. The visual effects are groundbreaking for the 20th century and have set a standard for the CGI generations to come. Great story line, maybe one of the best futuristic story since... IDK... Star Wars, probably inspired by a bunch of Japanese anime/manga like Ghost in a Shell. That whole recipe mixed with great sounds/music makes an all time best!

Never send a human to do a machine's job.

Author: Manuel Josh Rivera
19 January 2014

"The Matrix" is a visually dazzling cyberadventure, full of kinetic excitement.

I've seen dozens if not hundreds of these exercises in violence, which recycle the same tired ideas: Bad guys fire thousands of rounds, but are unable to hit the good guy. Then it's down to the final showdown between good and evil--a martial arts battle in which the good guy gets pounded until he's almost dead, before he finds the inner will to fight back. Been there, seen that; however this one is an exception, as it done very well.

Still, I must not ignore the movie's virtues. It's great-looking, both in its design and in the kinetic energy that powers it. It uses flawlessly integrated special effects and animation to visualize regions of cyberspace. It creates fearsome creatures, including mechanical octopi. It morphs bodies with the abandon of "Terminator II." It uses f/x to allow Neo and Trinity to run horizontally on walls, and hang in the air long enough to deliver karate kicks. It has leaps through space, thrilling sequences involving fights on rooftops, helicopter rescues and battles over mind control.

And it has performances that find the right notes. Keanu Reeves goes for the impassive Harrison Ford approach, "acting" as little as possible. I suppose that's the right idea. Laurence Fishburne finds a balance between action hero and Zen master. Carrie-Anne Moss, as Trinity, has a sensational title sequence, before the movie recalls that she's a woman and shuttles her into support mode. Hugo Weaving, as the chief Agent, uses a flat, menacing tone that reminded me of Tommy Lee Jones in passive-aggressive overdrive. There's a well-acted scene involving Gloria Foster as the Oracle, who like all Oracles is maddeningly enigmatic.

"The Matrix" did not bore me. It interested me so much, indeed, that I wanted to be challenged even more. I wanted it to follow its material to audacious conclusions, to arrive not simply at victory, but at revelation.

High Tech Must See

Author: Degitalord from India
19 January 2014

A must-see among genre fans, especially guys in their teens and 20s, for whom the script's pretentious mambo-jumbo of undergraduate mythology, religious mysticism and tech-babble could even be a plus rather than a dramatic liability. Its a high tech sci-fi must see film. inspired by different sources (including Japanese anime), The Matrix is a new kind of movie, a visionary mixture of technology, philosophy and thrilling action.Where other films are done in by the freedom offered by computer effects, The Matrix integrates them beautifully.Exemplifies the idea that a sufficiently cool outcome justifies all of the tortured narrative it takes to get there.

The Matrix Makes a Bold Statement

Author: Dylan S. from United States
16 January 2014

The Matrix can be interpreted as a political statement about people being products of society, illustrating how easily people can fall victim to the demands of societal expectations. I use the term 'society' in this review to define the unwritten laws of human culture that systematically critique individuality, and not to define the establishment of a people.

The Matrix represents society. Agent Smith represents the effort of society to assimilate and convert. Morpheus and the gang defy these societal expectations within a pocket of opposition, much like human rights groups in real life; but with a central hero that stands alone, which promotes the fact that anyone - in a group or not - can stand against conformity and fight to be unique.

A machine with a mind of its own, society attempts to enslave and assimilate us through breaking us down so that we can be built back up under its control. We are told what to believe. How to think. How to feel, what to feel and when. We are given opinions, given identical options to choose from; given instructions for how to choose. Everything else, every choice, every action, every word, is taboo or unacceptable.

A fear begins to creep in of anything that differs from society's opinion, completing the assimilation as society's message is accepted by and transferred through its slaves. They complain about and insult those who act out of the ordinary, with popular comments including, "Why do you hold doors open for people? You're must be attention-starved," "You can't dance, why do you try? You're just embarrassing yourself," "Stop working so hard, you're a tool," etc., etc.

These insulting critiques promote societal standards through their complaints, digging at the minds of others (potential slaves) to corrode their willpower and prepare them for assimilation. Most people concede and comply without putting up much of a fight; it's an endurance race with no finish line, so all it takes for enslavement is time... unless they refuse to run, and instead fight back.

The slaves aren't always aware of the societal forces at work here, but if only subconsciously they want to break us down and force our hand. They claim superiority and perfection with no credibility, and too many people listen and give in. This is their hope, their intent, their bliss; this is what the beast of society strives for, and thus also what its slaves desire. There is great power in numbers, and people are taught not to bite the hand that feeds; these slaves will gladly serve without question, as long as they can feel accepted, being fed validation.

Neo represents anybody that is willing to stand up and fight back no matter what the cost, with a will that sets him apart from the other characters - in the movie, as a "Chosen" bad-ass; in the real world, as a beacon for acceptance of social diversity and individualism. The message here is that even if you're not a Neo, it is better to be a Trinity or a Morpheus and support the Neos of the world, than to be an Agent Smith and drag the world down to monotonous ruin.

The Matrix is a well-disguised call to action, one that both excites lovers of entertainment and inspires those who realize that the world needs more prominent Neos to rise up against conformity; to withstand the machine that is societal assimilation. It puts a culture of social obedience on display in a visually stunning and imaginatively thrilling way.

I write this just shy of 15 years since its release, and this movie still presents a dead-on interpretation of society's drive to convert individuality into what it expects of people - and the unbreakable will of those that fight for the freedom to be unique.

9/10 - A sign of the times, and a movie for the ages.

Could it be...? Can it be...? So are we living in reality or what?

Author: sungoh78 from United States
13 January 2014

If you like action films, then this movie is a must-watch. It revolutionized arguably the entire sci-fi action-movie industry in the neo-20th century when it was first released (pun intended - of course). Anyhow, I did not come on here to just marvel at the screenplays of the movie. In fact, I came on here to marvel about the philosopher or the philosophy that the Wachowski brothers have studied, written, and directed.

The idea of simulacrum as proposed by the post-modernist French philosopher Jean Baudrillard is that everything in this world has now lost originality because there have been too many replicas that have replaced the original that there now exists no original in any way or form. I mean how would any and all of us feel when we are faced with the lite-threatening questions of: who am I? What makes me who I am? Did I choose to become who I am or did I simply choose to mask myself with the personas that I have seen and studied on TVs, Movies, magazines, etc.? How do I then choose to become who I am? Can I truly call myself an original form or am I just a replica of other notable personas that I have chosen to adopt throughout my life time? (Does Neo choose to live in the blissful ignorance of illusion or the sometimes painful truth of reality)(noted by Wikipedia.com by searching "Neo blue and red pill")?

Anyhow, mix that formula with the exponential growth of technology and machines, Wachowski directors have successfully drowned any and all existence of mankind in the form of machine-controlled (plugged-in) "batteries".

Of course, this is where the existence of Zion, ship Nebuchadnezzar, Morpheus, and Neo kick in to free what is left of civilization from the machine's oppression... and "Action!"

Anyhow, what I've written is only a glimpse of what the directors have studied and tried to portray on the screens. Nevertheless, it is a masterpiece that has forever revolutionized the ways in which action movies are filmed now. Mad kudos to the brothers for such a fantastic film and thank you.

Science-Fiction at it's best. A classic masterpiece .

Author: The_Riddler_1948
12 January 2014

Keanu Reeves stars as Thomas Anderson, a skilled Computer programmer/Computer Hacker who goes by the name of Neo. The film, all-in- all, is absolutely incredible. I have never seen such an epic science- fiction film with as much intense action, scenes of fighting, inspiring acting, shock and awe and...and just so much more. The Wachowski Brothers really made this film what it is. Them, Reeves and of course the supporting cast, Hugo Weaving, Carrie-Anne Moss and Laurence Fishburne. Hugo Weaving as the co-star casting as the main villain "Agent Smith" trying to destroy the city of Zion and keep humans from making the escape from the Matrix. This film is entirely brilliant and it has one of the highest ratings, as you'll see, on IMDb. It's certainly in my top 3 science-fictions of all-time. Any Sci-Fi fan will love this film and this is seriously the best of all three parts. A masterpiece of a film and I would not be able to understand how anyone could dislike it.....though, I have never met someone who has.....! 10/10.

Just amazing

Author: jizocom from Switzerland
4 January 2014

This trilogy is very beautifully made and thought, in an alternative universe, where machines maintain humans in a so called world "Matrix". There characters were well chosen. Script was well made. Graphic scenery was well made as well. Great movie, I still watch it now a days. Simply amazing! I really enjoy movies that are made/created in an alternative dimension/universe. Interesting thought, us being controlled by machines/users, as we can control Sims in The Sims games. Very unique distinction from other movies. This trilogy, can be very easily watched in a whole day, and you still could ask for more, what happen after the end? Very nice movie, recommend it to anyone.

An action packed film

Author: gtkraus
2 January 2014

I love this movie! it's action packed and great for anyone, considering age. You may find it confusing, but most is explained in the following movies. There are many parts, for instance, when Neo first leaves the Matrix that make you think. The use of digital effects is stunningly realistic and wowing. If you end up enjoying this movie, you would enjoy the sequels, when you follow Neo and the others through the Matrix, fighting the machines that did this to them. As the brave man Neo is, he can prove to the world, of man and of machine, that he indeed is the chosen one.i give this movie a 9 out of 10 and believe it is defiantly worth watching.