IMDb > The Matrix (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Matrix

The Matrix More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 354: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Author: makeitrain87 from United Kingdom
10 December 2012

I watched this the other week for the first time in years and i was still blown away by the it visually. When The Matrix was released, it was such a landmark in the world of sci-fi, with it's imaginative, creative, original and clever storyline, everything about it is just unbelievably fantastic. The action scenes and special effects still hold up just beautifully and will blow you away. The Matrix is one of those films that had to be seen at the cinema. I would love to watch this again on the big screen. Once you watch The Matrix you will never ever forget it for a long time, as it just keeps playing on your mind. The storyline is amazing and will blow your mind. The entire film is oozing with style and atmosphere from start to finish and all the characters who will take you on that journey you just don't want to end. The film sends out a very good and philosophical message. Yes. This film has it all. The Matrix is a true genre classic by the Wachowski's.

Gripping action combined with a touch of philosophy

Author: cenan-gumus from Istanbul, Turkey
30 November 2012

There are two sides for this movie. On one hand, it is able to deliver the excitement of an action movie, a bit of chasing, fighting and those kind of stuff, but on a whole other level it approaches our daily life with a very interesting perspective and makes the viewer question what reality is. Some famous quotes have made their place in literature about this concept. (Such as 'There is no spoon' or 'If real is what you can feel, smell, taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain'). 'There is no spoon' is actually my all time favorite movie quote. It is definitely a must-watch, both in terms of entertainment and self thinking development.

Unfortunately, no one can be told what the Matrix is. You have to see for yourself. And it's going to find you if you really want it to.

Author: Gross Ryder (g_ryder@rocketmail.com) from personalvalidity.webs.com
24 May 2012

The all around brilliance of this movie comes from the multidimensional themes of art, mythology, intellect and entertainment. It stands out exceptional even in special effects and martial arts, so there is something for everyone in it, and that is why it will remain as an all time classic. My focus in this review will be on the myth of The Matrix, the intellectual ideas and the questions that arise in the plot and the dialogs, and these are as I have formulated them: What is real, and by the same token, what is illusory? What is really behind the complex, seductive, at times apparently chaotic and random, at times apparently precisely timed and connected coincidences of the events and between the people of the world? What controls all the events of the world? Do individuals have any control at all through their choices and decisions over what happens or will happen? Or is it all 'programmed' or 'fated' in a scripted manner? In short, who or what runs the show? Are all our perceptions the result of the cultural construct (the set of perceptual interpretations and beliefs about the world 'taught' into each one of us by our social, cultural 'teachers'), or do we have the freedom to make our perception take flight into new territories, where no one has ventured so far? What are the limits of this freedom and how can we then meaningfully correlate with the existing knowledge matrix (and this movie is itself part of The Matrix) of the now diffuse and globalized culture of this world? These questions have been asked by seers, visionaries and thinkers in all parts of the world for millennia. The answers, descriptions, interpretations provided by these people found in the various myths, are so diverse and different that it's mind boggling to the non-thinker, but quite a challenge to the explorer. Levi Strauss put it this way: "A theoretically infinite number of versions of the myth will be generated, each slightly different from the others. Myth thus becomes the third dimension of language; in it a continuous attempt is made to reconcile the other two dimensions of language - the diachronic and the synchronic. Because complete reconciliation is impossible, myth grows spiral - wise until the intellectual impulse which has produced it is exhausted. Myth grows then, because, structurally, the contradiction - the asymmetry – which gives it life cannot be resolved. Different versions are part of the same myth precisely because a myth is not reducible to a single uniform content, but is a dynamic structure. Eventually all the versions of a myth have to be taken into consideration so as its structure can become apparent." So if any of these questions has ever bothered you, then welcome to The Matrix, the command and control system of the world that is by the necessary order of things, hidden from us for the very simple reason that it must be beyond individual manipulation (yes, the factual flaw in the movie is that the Matrix can be hacked). The only thing that The Matrix will allow is for the determined individual is to have a glimpse or a series of images of itself, but the interpretation of those is only one such interpretation that ideally should have correlation to interpretations that others have given. "The test of a true myth is that each time you return to it, new insights and interpretations arise" (Starhawk). Good luck to you and hope you 'see' The Matrix, that is, if you really want to.

A cyberpunk classic

Author: Tweekums from United Kingdom
28 February 2012

Like many people I was fairly awestruck by the special effects when I first saw this film but was unsure how I would feel watching the film again several years after I last saw it; after all special effects are advancing all the time and this is over ten years old... I needn't have worried; I enjoyed it just as much as I did first time.

The story begins with computer hacker Neo receiving strange message telling him somebody was about to knock on his door and that he should 'follow the white rabbit'; his door is knocked and his friends invite him to come out with him; he is about to refuse when he sees a white rabbit tattooed on one of their shoulders so goes with them. While out he meets another hacker, a woman called Trinity, who tells him that the legendary hacker Morpheus wants to meet with him. The next day at work he receives a call telling him the authorities want to take him into custody and he must follow precise instructions if he wishes to escape; he fails to do this and is arrested. During the interview with Agent Smith a strange bug is implanted and in a nightmarish manner his mouth becomes fused closed! The next thing he knows he is waking up in his apartment assuming it was just a strange nightmare but it soon becomes apparent that is was real. Taken to Morpheus by Trinity he learns that the world is not as it seems; he isn't in 1999 but 2199 and none of his life so far has been real; his body is plugged into a giant machine and he is experiencing something called The Matrix.

Once woken he finds himself in a dead mechanical world with Morpheus, Trinity and a few other free people; they mention the last human city; Zion, but we never see it. Now he is free he must prepare to return to The Matrix which means learning the skills he will need to survive and gaining an understanding of what The Matrix really is. Once inside they will have to avoid Agents, parts of the program that will hunt them down as well as assuring that they stay hidden in the real world; if they die in either place their life is over.

This is a must see for all science fiction and action fans; it has a fine story and spectacular action sequences; many of them reminiscent of those in Chinese Wuxia films with characters running up walls and doing impossible leaps... of course within The Matrix nothing is impossible if you believe you can do it. Keanu Reaves might not have the greatest acting range but he is just right for the role of Neo, a man understandably a little confused at finding everything he had experienced so far was unreal. Hugo Weaving is great as Agent Smith bringing a sense of menace to the role. Other main actors Carrie Anne Moss and Laurence Fishburne also perform well. Writer/directors the Wachowski brothers did a great job; the film is incredibly stylish without lacking substance. I can't imagine many people haven't watched this but if you are one of those I strongly recommend checking it out.

Top-notch movie with impressive production design , marvelous effects and incredible visual designs

Author: ma-cortes
20 February 2012

Overwhelming and spectacular first part from a trilogy with some of the best action scenes ever made . This excitingly original film is full of thrills , cutting-edge visuals, stylist innovations , fights , tension , suspense and groundbreaking races , but also several commercial elements , including computer-simulated violence . This is a dynamic, fast-paced and amusing movie , though overlong . It's an enjoyable , if somewhat light-headed piece of escapism with state-of-art special effects and straightforward screenplay . Big-budgeted film by the great producer Joel Silver led to break into the booming Sci-Fi/adventure/fantasy market plenty of inventiveness and imagination . Full of action, it's complemented by rousing scenes , breathtaking fights and struggles are spotlights . It deals with Neo (Keanu Reeves) ¨who is thought to be the chosen one¨ a computer hacker learns from mysterious rebels about the true nature of his reality and his role in the war against its controllers . One night, a mysterious woman named Trinity (Carrie-Anne Moss)seeks him out and introduces him to that faceless character he has been waiting for : Morpheus (Laurence Fishburne) who carries him to Oracle (Gloria Foster) . Then Neo is advised by the Oracle about his future . As Neo learns about Matrix , he aware all life on Earth may be nothing more than an elaborate masquerade created by a malevolent cyber-intelligence and he results to be the chosen one . The rebel leaders led by Morpheus estimate that they have little time until 250,000 probes discover Zion and destroy it and its inhabitants. During this, Neo has to decide how he can save Trinity , Morpheus and partners from a dark fate and taking on Agent Smith (Hugo Weaving) and his hoodlums . Meanwhile , a traitor betrays the group and the events get worse . It is a dark time for the world in this first adventure as the epic war between man and machine reaches a thundering crescendo : The group desperately battle to hold back the marauding Sentinel invasion from overtaking them . Neo, Morpheus and Trinity race against time to get their purports . While the human city of Zion is preparing for the oncoming war with the machines with very little chances of survival.

This is an action-packed , booming following with some of the best action scenes ever filmed , plenty of bounds and leaps over buildings , including awesome visual effects by John Gaeta . This thrilling movie contains impressive fights , chills , breathtaking designs , dense philosophy and many other things . From the beginning to the end the comic-book action-packed and extreme violence is continued and it's fast movement ; for that reason the picture is pretty amusing ; furthermore contains lots of spectacular combats in mart arts style staged by Yue Woo Ping who also made ¨Kill Bill¨ and ¨Crouching tiger, hidden dragon¨ . Contrived beyond belief with spectacular struggles that play like video games , but slickly calculated to please 2000s audiences . Moving and pulsing musical score by Don Davis . Magnificent , glamorous production design by Owen Paterson . Colorful and imaginative cinematography by Bill Pope . The motion picture is stunningly written , produced and directed by Larry and Andy Wachowski-The Wachowski Brothers . It' s followed by ¨Matrix Reload¨ and ¨Matrix revolutions¨ with similar artistic team and cast adding Anthony Zerbe , Harry Lennix, Gina Torres , Harold Perrineau, Jada Pinkett Smith, Nora Gaye , among others in which the the city of Zion , the last outpost of humanity , is defended by valiant warriors against the massive invasion of the machines to save the humanity as Neo , Morpheus and Trinity fight to end the war at another front while also opposing the invasion on the hidden underground refuge .

The Real and Natural Matrix

Author: info-18975 from United States
10 March 2009

There is a worldwide human awake up about the existence of a hidden Matrix, the authors' movie are high intellectuals, so, they captured the phenomenon as a race's antenna.

The Matrix is encrypted at our DNA and it is surrounding us also. It is about the genetic code of LUCA, the Last Universal Common Ancestor.

LUCA, our non-biological ancestral, used his free will and made a bad choice: turning to be a "closed natural system", which is the extreme expression of the selfish gene, because he was searching the total and eternal thermo-dynamic equilibrium.

LUCA became the most perfect machine. But, he was attacked by entropy,fragmented in his bits-information, which have failed at planetary surface and reached out as biological systems (living beings). You can see the face of LUCA at HTTP://theuniversalmatrix.com And making your comments here...

Excellent - a movie you can watch over and over again

Author: Foobarman
1 March 2009

The Matrix is a truly excellent movie. Although the movie is a bit hard to follow the brilliant action scenes totally make up for it. This is personally my favorite Matrix movie. This is one of the movies I have watched the most. I bought the DVD - and I think it was certainly worth it.

The casting, acting and production of the movie is great. They chose the perfect actor of Agent Smith and Neo. They suited their roles perfectly and did an excellent job. The filming and camera angles were great and made the action scenes as good as they were.

Although, I wish the movie was easier to understand (I finally got it after like the fifth time I watched it).

This is certainly one of the best sci-fi movies ever made.

Keanu Reeves in Wonderland

Author: wes-connors from Earth
1 January 2009

Insomniac computer hacker Keanu Reeves (as Thomas "Neo" Anderson ) lives a common and interesting life. Hugo Weaving (as Agent Smith) tells him, "You've been living two lives. In one life, you're Thomas A. Anderson, program writer for a respectable software company. You have a social security number, pay your taxes, and you help your landlady carry out her garbage. The other life is lived in computers, where you go by the hacker alias 'Neo' and are guilty of virtually every computer crime we have a law for. One of these lives has a future, and one of them does not." That's a good description.

Everything changes for Mr. Reeves when he is contacted by the intriguingly prophetic Laurence Fishburne (as Morpheus), through seemingly supernatural leather lass Carrie-Anne Moss (as Trinity). Mr. Fishburne believes Reeves just may be "The One". Mr. Weaving captures Reeves, and tells him Fishburne is the most dangerous man alive. Reeves instinctively distrusts Weaving and, with Ms. Moss' assistance escapes from him. Them, Reeves joins falls Through the Looking Glass, where he learns about and dreams, reality, and imagination, from the Wachowski brothers.

"Unfortunately, nobody can be told what 'The Matrix' is. You have to see it for yourself."

I watched it with great curiosity to see what would happen next...

A stunning audio-visual achievement.

********* The Matrix (1999) Larry & Andy Wachowski ~ Keanu Reeves, Laurence Fishburne, Carrie-Anne Moss, Hugo Weaving

What is the Matrix?

Author: g-bodyl from United States
22 November 2008

What is the Matrix? Is it something like a machine that rules the planet? It took me awhile to understand the concept of this movie. Now that I grasped the big picture, I enjoyed this movie a lot more than I did the first time I saw this film. This film is about a illegal computer hacker, Neo who is wanted by a mysterious group led by the even more mysterious Morpheus and the cops. Morpheus shows Neo what the world is really like and who is in charge of the planet. Now Morpheus, Neo, and the rest of the group must evade these alien-like droids that appear as human. The fighting is great in this film. I am surprised that there is plenty of kung-fu fighting. The special effects were even better. They made this movie win a few Oscars. The acting is much better than I anticipated. Keanu Reeves deserves a medal for acting like an actor. I still need to watch this movie one more time to boost my rating up to a 10. Currently, I rate this movie 9/10.

Agent Smith's peculiar diction

Author: personalcompser from United States
22 June 2008

I have watched The Matrix numerous times and always wondered about Agent Smith's peculiar way of speaking. Today while watching a portion of the old PBS series Cosmos by Carl Sagan, I thought they had used Hugo Weaving's voice to narrate but it was indeed Carl Sagan with his rounding of sounds, pausing and emphasizing, and pursed lips that was speaking. Does anyone know if this is where Hugo Weaving drew inspiration for his manner of speech in The Matrix series? As for the series itself, movie #1 is by far the most exciting, after which the Wachowski Bros writing devolves into a mismash of junk. The last two movies have their moments but some scenes are painful to watch, I.E. the rave and those awful loves scenes with Neo and Trinity.