IMDb > Mystery Men (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Mystery Men

Mystery Men More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 44: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Underground comic = Comic potential

Author: Bill Cernansky from USA, Earth
21 February 2001

First, I'd like to say that I've recommended this film to several people, and all have liked it. One who had seen it and panned it watched it again and came back to tell me that he was wrong the first time. He enjoyed it thoroughly.

Enjoying this movie hinges on your attention to the dialog, in-jokes, and visual environment. The concept of "superheroes with powers not quite super" is rich in comic potential. Not all of that potential is tapped, but you only get 2 hours... and you have to squeeze the plot in too. I felt like Kinka Usher did a nice job of developing almost every character (except Lena Olin as supervillain Geoffrey Rush's psychiatrist) and providing a plot that did not seem stripped down. Throw in a lot of sarcastic humor and a great underground comic atmosphere in "Champion City" and I think it's a tight little movie.

If you've been avoiding it, or if you have seen it once and found it odd or off-putting, give it a shot. I think you'll enjoy it.

And, if you think the bionic man joke is the funniest thing in the movie... geez has time passed you by.

"Mystery Men #1, All Others Are #2, or Lower..."

Author: bonze from Ithaca, NY
4 February 2001

**SPOILERS**Mystery Men is an excellent "flick," a "movie" which is definitely not suitable for those who are Ironically Impaired, allergic to Corn, or averse to Punnish-meant.

My daughter and I have watched this film a dozen times, and I will probably never tire of its cheesy yet good-hearted portrayal of this band of Champion City do-gooders, endowed with superpowers which are marginal... at best... and utterly lacking in Commercial Endorsements, but committed to joining the Fight against Evil with whatever (possibly delusory) talents they possess.

On reflection, Mystery Men should have a big WARNING: POSTMODERN CONTENT label. There's a moral here, you know: Maybe the world would be a better place if we all had the kind of guts these people display... BUT... can common men and women who volunteer for the job of Making the World A Better Place (setting themselves up to be characterized as morons, wackos and fruitcakes no matter how they are dressed), really be trusted to FLIP THE SWITCH?

I don't know myself, but must applaud them as they ?SPOILER? squeak through to victory, with a lot of luck, semi-bogus mystical inspiration to Work as A Team from The Sphinx, non-lethal weapons courtesy of Dr. Heller (whose card reads: "Genius ... World Changer ... Weapons Designer ... Chicken Rentals"), and, uh... The Bowler.

And as for those say-nay nattering nabobs of negativism posting derisory and hypercritical film-crit poseur comments here I can only say: "Have you got a problem with that?"

One of the Best of 1999

Author: MnemonicDevice from Philadelphia
24 January 2001

Here's a quick test: Do you love Buckaroo Banzai? Tank Girl? Big Trouble in Little China? Repo Man? Are you a Tom Waits fan? If you answered yes to these questions then you'd probably love Mystery Men. This is a totally wacky and unique movie, much maligned when it came out, but in ten years I guarantee it will be in the Cult Classics section of the video store. These are the movies that are too weird for audiences at the local multiplex and too commercial for people who want to watch "films" and drink latte. If you're an open minded person but not a film snob and you really like offbeat movies, check this out. And as with all these movies, watch it with someone else who will get the jokes.

Great trip through Superhero Land

Author: axraupp from Minnesota
6 January 2001

Personally, I love superhero spoofs. There are so few, and this is one of them. I watched "The Tick" on Fox when I returned to the States, and when Mystery Men first came out, I had to see it. I wasn't disapointed.

This film is not for the serious film critic. It is a comedy spoof with a great line at every turn, ie: "We are number one, all others are number two or lower." Is that classic or what?

The graphics are all digital and for the time, quite good. The setting is somewhere out of a William Gibson Sprawl dream and reminds me somewhat of Akira.

Great movie for a Friday night TV party!

Under a different director, this would have been awesome.

Author: adam_lytle from London, Ontario
21 November 2000

I love the concept for Mystery Men. The loser superhero is a concept just waiting to be properly handled. Unfortunately Mystery Men doesn't do it, which is a damn shame considering the stellar cast. Ben Stiller is perfect as the amazingly ineffective Mr. Furious, William H. Macy could act a phone-book, Wes Studie is brilliant as the Mystery Men mentor The Sphinx, and Janeane Garofolo is always a pleasure to watch. (Unfortunately, the only disappointing performance is from Paul Reubens, who I've always thought of as rather talented.)

There's some great dialogue in Mystery Men, and some great performances, but its not enough to rescue the movie from the Director's misconceptions. He seemed to think he was making Batman Forever. The art design of the film really fights with its ironic nature.

If you're a comic book fan, I recommend renting this movie, if you can find it for cheap.

If you're looking for a good superhero parody, check your local listings for the cartoon 'The Tick', it spoofs comic book heroes better than Mystery Men did.

Whoa. And I mean Whoa!!

Author: starstruck_16 from Toronto, Ontario
2 November 2000

This movie was.....awesome. The cast was magnificent, the plot was pretty good, and the special effects were cool! Lots of people give this movie bad reviews, but don't listen. The main characters, aka. the Mystery Men, are Mr. Furious, The Shoveler, the Blue Raja, Invisible Boy, The Spleen, The Bowler, and The Sphinx. My personal favorites were The Bowler, the Blue Raja, and of course, the alltime best, Mr. Furious. It's a great movie, and its not just for people who enjoy comic books. Me, I'm a teen girl who hates comic books and all that stuff, but I loved this movie! I rented it, and watched about 20 times in one week! It was soooo good, and I plan on buying the special edition with the added scenes. With an allstar cast of super talented actors and actresses, this movie just made me go "wow!" and I loved it. I can't describe how good this movie is. All I need to say is.....I'm definitely gonna go watch it again before I take it back to Blockbuster!!

Tries hard, could do better.

Author: Unicorn-9 from Canada
28 October 2000

I have to agree with other people's comments on the directing, which kind of sucks, but overall this isn't a bad movie; not one of the best ever made, but if you're into bizarre comedy it works quite well. I'd avoided it in the cinema, but after several people told me it was really good I bought the DVD and was glad that I did.

I just love the whole concept of bad superheros, and the way it makes fun of the genre without destroying its own reality, and in particular the 'How can he be Captain Amazing? He couldn't see without his glasses' parody of Superman/Clark Kent. It's a shame that the directing and the rest of the script doesn't really live up to its full potential.

I think... no, I KNOW... I'm in LOVE with this movie!!!!

Author: (Blue_Raja) from Washington, USA
27 October 2000

When this movie first came out, I saw the commercials for it and I thought to myself: "Now THERE'S a cool movie!" Unfortunately, my family is not one that sees movies regularly, so I totally missed it in theatres (DRAT!). Happily, I got a chance to see it when our local movie rental place got it. (YAY!) The instant I saw it, I turned to mush. This HAS to be THE best movie of the year... heck, of the DECADE, even!

All the actors were great, and I especially adored Hank Azaria as the fork-flinging, turban-wearing, British-accented Blue Raja. (you can tell, I named myself after him!) So guess what I did? I hunted up the special edition of the movie at the nearest video-selling place, and I bought it. With my own money, which is saying alot because I don't have much of my own money...

I really don't see how anyone could hate a movie this neat! The effects were great (and hilarious), the script was great, the casting was excellent, and the costume design deserves "two-thumbs-up!"

I'm one of the few people in this world who has now dedicated all their spare time to doing anything Mystery-Men-ish. This Halloween, I'm going as the Blue Raja, forks and all. The only question I have is: When's the sequel coming out???

Has some mysterious power

Author: keala from usa
16 October 2000

I don't know why, but I am one of MYSTERY MEN's loyal slaves. I love every silly, gaudy, self-conscious frame of it, every dorky joke that shouldn't work but often somehow does. It isn't the type of picture that normally grabs me - I never liked BUCKAROO BANZAI, for instance - so I'm helpless to explain myself. As far as feel-good films go, it outdoes everything else I've seen; it isn't exactly my favorite movie, but it makes me happier to watch it than any other. I saw it in the theater multiple times, and there were people walking out disgustedly halfway through at the same time others were laughing their heads off, so watch it at your own risk. All I can say is that it was one of the deciding factors in my buying a DVD player.

Funny Movie

Author: Stephen Miller
8 October 2000

I can't believe that people hated this movie, it is really really funny. The Blue Raja is hilarious, Mr. Furious cracks me up, and the Shoveler is great. The "mysterious" lines that The Sphinx spits out are some of the funniest of the movie. Rent it, buy it, watch it on TV.

Don't listen to what those other reviewers say, they just don't get the humor that is in this movie.