IMDb > Mystery Men (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Mystery Men

Mystery Men More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 43: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

well worth the time

Author: Jasper McCrea from London, England
17 January 2002

There seems to be divided opinion about this film, so I may as well add in my 2 cent's worth. It's pretty good. I have it on DVD, and I watch it nearly as often as I watch the Frighteners. If you didn't like the Frighteners, however, I'd a) leave this out and b) watch the Frighteners repeatedly until I did like it :).

Among the main characters, there isn't a bad performance (Claire Forlani - ding dong!), the sets are good, the plot isn't bad, and the script sets up some great interaction between all the characters ("there isn't enough beer in the world, Spleen, I'm sorry").

Now, where did I leave my address book? It's denim, with a picture of a kitten on it. Says 'Hang loose'....

Great oldfashion simple humour

Author: peter (doboyus@yahoo.com) from Toronto, Canada
15 January 2002

Most reviews this movie has received were negative but take the time to listen to the words that are the characters speak and you'll realise how great it really is. Watch it twice to be sure. Most critics in my oppinion these days are expecting too much from movies and are missing the point that this is a COMEDY and should expect comedy not a Titanic money making film. Paul Rubbin is still at his best and should be looked at as a great comedien not a dramatic actor with any other goals but to keep us laughing with his unique talent. We need more laughs these days so watch it again and again and laugh again and again:)

Obscure goes mainstream (more or less)

Author: Josh "The Rock" Kupec (nnjwk@hotmail.com) from Norman, Oklahoma
17 December 2001

The beginnings of the Mystery Men is in all actuality, much, much weirder than the movie. The original Mystery Men were actually a set of superheroes that were introduced in Flaming Carrot comix. They had some different characters, but they had Mr. Furious, and a couple of the other superheroes in the film. By the way, Flaming Carrot is a young man who once locked himself in a bathroom and read 5000 comic books on a dare, and emerged as the Flaming Carrot! Endowed with martial arts knowledge, a large carrot mask with a flame at the top, an arsenal of unique weapons, a set of flippers (which he wears at all times, just in case he needs to swim), and a small AM/FM radio implanted in his chest by aliens that gives him track tips, he suited up to fight crime. That could out weird anything the mystery men could throw out. But, on to the movie...

The Movie, is one of the great examples when something obscure gets just the right enough attention to really pull something off well. Spawn tried to get a following like Mystery Men, but it was too religious minded to really get a following like Mystery Men. X-Men, although I sort of liked it, really sold out to the public, almost completely rewriting the brilliant story from Marvel comix. Mystery Men had just the right chemistry to excel, and it did. The actors are well known enough to carry their own following, but not so well known as to change the movie to suit them. Ben Stiller, Hank Azaria, Jeannine Garofalo, Keenen Ivory Wayans, and the return of Paul Reubbons marks this movie as one of the strangest mixes of Actor since MARS ATTACKS! albeit this movie is good, while MARS ATTACKS! was lacking.

The only problem I noted with this movie, and I feel like a jerk pointing it out, the plot has a few holes in it, especially when they storm the castle with their new "weapons." In the DVD deleted scenes, it shows them using some unexplained weapons on the Frat boys, but of course, those scenes were deleted. What bothered me was a little side plot about the Shoveler trying to hint at Mr. Furious that he's bringing the team down, that was unnecessary.

Don't get me wrong, the good outweighs the slightly notgood, ten thousand times fold. This movie would make the most die hard Flaming Carrot comic fan happy, as well as those who have never even read a comic book before. This is one of the best superhero movies ever. With a excellent graphics, big name actors, and an unorthodox storyline, this movie shines the brightest in the dark field of the obscure.

Great fun

Author: chrisjgray2000 from Belfast, N.Ireland
29 November 2001

Finding a film about wannabe superheros was stupid. When it out I knew it was just another film trying to take in millions and then be forgotten later in the future.

The film follows Campion City's hero Captain Amazing and he's bored. So he decides to release his nemisis from an asylum to put up a worthy fight. The plan back fires and soon Captain Amazing is captured and cannot save the day. So it's up to a bunch of wannabe superheros to save the city.

The ideas in this movie are fun and the script is brilliant, but you can't help but wonder is this the best movie ever. No of coarse not.

It is worth a pretty good look should be commended for its attempt at being an actual movie than just coming out for the sake of it.

Disco is NOT dead....

Author: Skeletors_Hood (skeletors_hood@hotmail.com) from Kansas City
28 October 2001

Wonderful movie on sooo many levels. A surprise for me, since I rented it one night, just to see what it would be like, and it was great. I fell off the couch laughing so hard!

For one thing, this movie has the same atmosphere about it that the show "The Tick" has, and this movie definitely tick tocks with perfect timing in its jokes. I also want to point out that this really isn't a parody, but rather a satire of the superhero genre. A parody makes fun of something so blatantly that you see the source and realize the joke, making you laugh. A Weird Al song does just that. A satire makes fun of something, but is much more subtle about it, even attempting itself to be serious, or aims at being taken seriously, and that is what Mystery Men" does here. Mr Furious isn't a direct parody of Wolverine or Batman, but you can recognize the tone of those characters are reflected here, and yet Mr Furious is regarded as an individual character.

The jokes are many. Some obvious, others more subtle. Most of them you have to look beneath the surface, or just pay attention to get, and it may also help to have some knowledge in comic books as well. For instance, the Shoveler's speech about the "gift" God gave him by making him a good shoveler is great, because many heroes have a "gift" like that, and they will use similar lines. When Spleen discusses how he got his powers from a curse, it sounds like he's reading directly from a comic book, and you get the feeling that many heroes introduce themselves by their origin story, and they concern themselves with writing a theme song.

The amount of talent gathered in this movie is awesome as well, and you can definitely see that each actor was having a great time working on the film. A must-see comedy, especially if you like comic books!

not perfect, but I enjoy it v. much

Author: cheeze71 from Hong Kong
17 August 2001

Although this movie is not perfect, & there're some moments I don't like (like the farting part), I still like this movie very much. It's funny and warm at the same time. I also want to add that Bowler's father being killed by the villan is one of the cliche in Superhero stories. The film reminds me of Superman (e.g.Captain Amazing having two identities), Batman, etc. (actually I haven't seen lots of Superhero comoics before, but I'm still familiar with them in movies) I truely enjoy this movie.

Not bad...Not bad at all

Author: Thornfield2 from West Valley
11 June 2001

This isn't my usual genre of film, but I got a delightful suprize when I gave up my inhabitions and watched it. Not only were the costumes fun and the scenery very brilliantly dark and cartoony, but these characters actually had some depth and their goal, to be superheroes. Ben Stiller (one of my faves after watching "Meet the Parents") was hillarious and his supporting team were funny and unique, they even had a chick, played by one of my ultimate faves, Janeane Garofalo.I loved how the popular superhero endorsed popular products and was about as real as a Ken Doll compared to the band of wanna-be, more lovable outcasts. Wonderful film to watch late at night with friends after being out all night or on a rainy day. Kudos to Stiller and his wonderful supporting cast of misfits!

View it as a fun ride, not a "cinematic art form."

Author: Scarecrow64 from Wisconsin
24 May 2001

I was amazed at all the reviews I've seen for this film that dwell on limited camera shots, bad pacing, dialogue problems, etc. Give me a break!

If you grew up reading tons of superhero comics and watched the Batman TV show, you'll love this film. No, it's not a cinematic masterpiece, but it's not *supposed* to be. Each character has his or her own quirk which colors their world view, with greatly funny results. The throw-away gags and lines are almost as funny as the main thrust of the humor.

And for you movie-as-art-form types: get a clue. The director does a GREAT job of making the movie LOOK LIKE A COMIC BOOK. THAT'S why there are so many extreme close-ups, sideways framed shots, etc. At several points, the effect is striking -- you can just *see* what the scene would look like if it were drawn by a comics illustrator!

Good stuff, if you're a comics fan, or if you can watch a funny movie without making notes on the lighting effects or the inconsistencies in the star's makeup.

Too bad this wasn't very popular.

Author: (idolitor@hotmail.com) from Portland, OR
15 May 2001

Take a look at a few comic book adaptations that have made a load of money. Superman wasn't a good movie by itself. It was a setup for the rest of the films, like the first part of a serial. We are introduced to the characters and their motives. Superman is the hero. Clark Kent is a wimp. Lois Lane is head-strong. Jimmy Olson means well but always winds up in trouble. Lex Luthor is the stereotypical villain. The film is nothing more than an intro to a serial. Mystery Men is the same way. We are introduced to all the characters as they slowly get their team together. The film is funny in parts but it is also paced very methodicaly. This film was made to have sequels. The characters don't even come together until the last section of the movie. It's really a shame that we will never see more of this. A second part would have been faster, funnier and more tightly knit. The story could start off immediately, as we have been introduced to everyone already and we know who they are and what they do. What is also a shame is that X-Men got far more recognition than this and it follows EXACTLY the same format. This however, will get a sequel while Mystery Men will always be seen as a subpar effort instead of an introduction.

Underrated superhero comedy

Author: Martin Flanagan
26 February 2001

Great, underrated superhero comedy, with an irreverent yet affectionate attitude to comic books (comparable with the treatment of Trekkies in 'Galaxy Quest'). Impressive, post-Batman production design, and a crackling script that contains some of the best gags outside of the Simpsons. Tackles the thorny issues of superherodom, like making your own costume. These are the 'other guys', the wannabes. Nice touches include Greg Kinnear's heavily-sponsored Captain Amazing worrying about his Pepsi endorsement; reliable turns from Stiller and Macy and the campy Geoffrey Rush. And Hank Azaria's English accent...well worth viewing if your childhood involved an inordinate amount of time spent in comic book stores...