IMDb > Mystery Men (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Mystery Men

Mystery Men More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 44: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

one underrated movie

Author: kyle from United States
9 March 2006

the star vote scale doesn't go high enough for me to express my love for this movie. I'm pretty sure there isn't enough stars in space for me to rate this movie appropriately. I highly recommend it.

i have a hard time determining whether i love this movie or A Friday Night Date more.

I haven't decided, I bought 2 TV's so i can watch them simultaneously.

If i were to express all my feelings for both movies the internet would cease to be.

William Gates would be horrified

I got to go, the movies are starting.

Underrated little geek out

Author: erikharrison from Asheville, NC
18 December 2005

"Nystery Men" is an unpretentious little flick with a lot in it's favor. A good cast, some quirky dialog, and a director who knows when to just let his cast have a good time all add up to a fun time.

"Mystery Men" is not a genre flick in the usual sense, nor is it a Ben Stiller vehicle. It is more like "The Mask" except it relies on the ensemble instead of a central star. This has likely contributed to the movie's relative obscurity, and the broad dislike by a number of its viewers. You have to be willing to geek out a bit, and watch a goofy comedic ensemble at work to appreciate "Mystery Men".

That said, a few things do not work. The love story between Ben Stiller's self conscious hero and Claire Forlani's waitress simply doesn't seem to play. Kel Mitchel is simply adequate, and though I find him hilarious, it's hard to separate the scatological (or methalogical, if you prefer) The Spleem from Paul Reuben's personal life.

All in all, our motley team of untalented superheros play delightfully off of each other, and entertain more than they bore. Watch for a classic parody of every pep talk in all of film from William H Macy. It's brief, it's funny, and it is perfectly delivered, and contains the heart of "Mystery Men"

Just Plain Fun!

Author: Nick Wagner (MovieManiacX) from United States
9 February 2005

This movie is so random and wacky that you have to love it. The characters are so unusually weird (in a good way) that you can't help but enjoy them. The movie is so unpredictable and random that you have to watch it until the end and the originality of it only makes it more enjoyable. It's filled with so many quotable lines that will leave you in tears and it's jokes hit their mark 90% of the time.

Geoffrey Rush as Casanova Frankenstein (an awesome name) is the coolest character, with his absurd accent and strange lifestyle. When he hosts the party with all of the appropriately-named gangs, the results are priceless. Mr. Furious, The Shoveler, and The Blue Raja (who has no blue in his costume, but claims "if you know your history, it makes perfect sense!") are excellent and Stiller, Macy, and Azaria have great chemistry. I love The Shoveler's line "God gave me a gift. I shovel well." Tom Waits as Dr. Heller is fantastic. He's the perfect eccentric scientist-type guy. The Sphinx is OK, you don't really need him, but he's fun (there's a scene with a watermelon that's a keeper). Kel Mitchell and Paul Rubens as The Invisible Boy and The Spleen are great, especially Ruben's slurring accent ("Schup? I'm the Schpleen"). And even though I don't like Janeane Garofalo and I hate Greg Kinnear, they both were great in here too. Sarcasm and condescension at its best!

The special effects are decent for the movie's modest budget. The effects look very cartoony and colorful, but that's how they should look in this kind of movie. Heller's non-lethal weapons are a really cool idea, especially the Canned Tornado. "Totally Non-Lethal, But Totally Effective!" The funniest scene in the entire movie is the superhero tryouts. I laughed so hard that I had to rewind it twice to see it in its entirety. Keep an eye out for The Waffler, played by Dane Cook, and The PMS Avenger.

Now I know all this probably seems very stupid and not very funny, but trust me, once you see the movie, you will understand what I'm rambling on about. You'll enjoy it more if you like random humor and absurdity, but if you like superhero movies and / or action movies, you should definitely check this out. You can buy it for around $10 bucks. Enjoy!

The Bottom Line:

This flick delivers on it's goofy premise, giving us great performances, lots of hilarious humor, and Geoffrey Rush hamming it up as Casanova Frankenstein. Don't miss it!

Heroes who didn't make the cut, but refuse to warm the bench.

Author: kentonmac from United States
18 January 2005

Mystery Men is not your average superhero flick, nor is it your average comedy. Be prepared for "low" humor...the kind that fits well with the best Wannabes ever to attain headline news status. Who ever heard of a hero that can only turn invisible when nobody's watching, or a mainstream superhero with sponsors like Pepsi, who is so good (apparently) that he has to let criminals out of jail in order to have somebody to fight? Warning: it's not for everybody. If you like the sort of "proper yet irreverent" humor of Monty Python, then you may or may not appreciate "Mystery Men." It's definitely low humor, though there is an intelligence in it that is anything but pretentious. Unleash the nonlethal weapons, and "Valla con Dios!"

A Great Movie (if you've got goofy humor)

Author: Hythlodaeus from Bloomington Indiana USA
27 April 2004

This movie is silly and childish, but if that's one of the things you like about yourself and your friends, watch this with them. You'll have a grand time! The movie is about wanna-be comic book superheroes and this groups pathetic exploits and discovery of their true heroism is the making of the most absurd humor. The movie is a commentary about what real-life would be like for a superhero, he'd have to get corporate sponsors and keep business going if he was to continue to be famous. The problem for Captain Amazing is that he's "too good" at his job and his agent tells him that he's got to drum up business to keep his sponsors - that's where the fun begins.

My favorite lines, when auditioning "superheroes" to join their group "I'm the PMS Avenger. I only work three days a month - YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH THAT!?" and "I'm waffle man - the waffler, I use my grittle of justice to stop crime - and my truth syrup" and "Blowing up the asylum, I knew you could never change - I knew you'd know that - oh, I knew that, and I also knew you'd know I knew - but I didn't know, I only knew that you'd know that I knew, did you know that? Uh, YEAH!"

A Comic Gem!

Author: Chuck ( from United States
3 January 2003

I've heard a lot of negative comments about this film, and I think many people are missing the point. If you rented this because "Spider-Man" was out then you obviously didn't take the time to read the box. This movie is exactly what it set out to be; a stinging, yet sweet, send up of the whole super-hero genre.

Here's a group of super-hero wannabes, led by the magnificent William H. Macy as The Shoveler, a family man with a wife who keeps pestering him to find another line of work. These guys are Bruce Wayne without money; The Shoveler doesn't have a Batmoblie, he has a Rambler wagon. The closest thing to a Fortress of Solitude that Azaria's Blue Raja can muster is his bedroom in his mothers house. Stiller's Mr. Furious is a frustrated Incredible Hulk. Studi's Sphinx spouts Yoda-like platitudes. Reubens' Spleen leaves criminals wishing for something as benign as a mere spider web. Kinnear's cynical, endorsement-laden Captain Amazing is a bored publicity hound who's bespectacled alter ego eagerly facilitates the release of his most dangerous nemesis, Rush's psychotic Casanova Frankenstein, to justify his continued existence. When Frankenstein and his disco-dancing cohorts capture Captain Amazing, our little rag-tag group decide that it's their duty to step up to the challenge.

The best satire is perpetrated by those familiar with their target, and here the film is dead on. The sets and props are very "Burton-esque" - dark and brooding in the best Batman tradition. Coupled with superb casting and an eclectic soundtrack, the result is a satisfying skewering of a sanctimonious lot.

I've never seen the comic series the film is based on, but I'm sure that liberties have been taken. That's life, get over it. Standing alone, this film accomplishes what Keenan Ivory Wayans accomplished with "I'm Gonna Git You Sucka" and Mike Myers is currently doing with the Austin Powers series; poking fun at a class of cinema long overdue for a poking!

Great Movie

Author: tpiecemanc from VA
15 September 2002

This movie has gotten poor reviews from the get go. I hear everyone talking and saying it was horrible or stupid. Well the people that say that are admitting what the film was shooting for. The film was not a super hero film although it had super heros in it. It was a comedy that was spoofing the super hero genre. This movie was meant to be stupid. It was meant for you to sit back and let all your cares fly out the window. It was made for enjoyment. It is a funny movie and yes there are things about it that could change although I cannot think of one right now. This is one of my favorite movies based on the fact that it has the guts not to take itself seriously. And anyone who says its a dumb and stupid film is right. It did exactly what it set out to be. I just wish they'd make a sequel.

Who will like this movie

Author: rbouwens from Grand Rapids, Michigan
7 September 2000

This movie has generated much review either completely negative or completely positive. This very fact must tell you that this is not a normal movie. The movie is a spoof. It makes fun of comic book superheros and all the makings of them. If you don't appreciate spoofs and mockeries then this movie will be dumb and have a very lame story. I am sorry but this movie was not meant to be a stand alone movie. It requires you to analyze the structure of other superhero movies and see really how dumb they are. It exaggerates the foolishness in movies like Batman, etc. If you find this type of humor funny you will love this film. If you do not find this kind of humor funny, don't watch it because you will hate it. I loved the movie. I even bought it which is saying a lot. I own 4 movies. So I hope you find this useful

Comic genius at its best!

Author: pummykin
25 June 2000

Caution: These comments reveal minor details about characters - not much about plot - no spoilers, whatsoever!

The fact that I hadn't ever read the comic "Mystery Men" didn't make any difference to me when I walked into the theater. All of the friends that were with me seeing MM are really into comics, so they kind of knew what was coming. I only knew a little about the movie from television ads, but knew I loved all the actors, so was expecting a great show to begin with.

I was not at all let down!

This movie is packed with awesome one-liners, slapstick, and great actors to pull it all off. Janeane Garofalo as the Bowler is awesome, as in anything she does. Ben Stiller is HiLaRiOuS as Mr. Furious - the guy who doesn't really have much of a super power as much as he has a super ego. William H. Macy is a gag - very straight-laced and serious with some great lines. Paul Reubens - well, he's just disgusting, and it works! Hank Azaria - can this man do everything? He's so awesome as the Blue Raja - back and forth between the effete British super hero and the whimpy American middle-aged son living at home with Mom.

I laughed and laughed and laughed. I still laugh every time I watch the VHS copy I bought because I can't get enough of this movie. It will be a cult classic - at least to me and my group of super friends!

People who didn't like this movie took it too seriously. You can't worry about camera angles and such when watching this kind of movie. It wasn't meant to be critiqued in that way. Just chill and enjoy!

quality satire

Author: mainstay from Colorado USA
24 June 2000

Reading many of the previous comments, Mystery Men seems like an excellent litmus test to sift out the humor-impaired from the rest of us who can appreciate quality satire. The former type whine about the cheesy special effects, the comicbookish plot, etc. but completely miss the point that Mystery Men is a very well-wrought parody. Just the tongue in cheek (corporate sponsorship, glasses parody, etc) portrayal of "Captain Amazing" should be enough to tell people HELLO THIS IS A VERY BLACK, VERY COMIC SATIRE. If you just can't appreciate quality humor (eg if you preferred the humor in Austin Powers 2 over the original) you should stay away from this movie. And please refrain from polluting the Mystery Men imdb listing with asinine comments.