IMDb > BASEketball (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 20:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

What's the Big Deal?

Author: lost4wurds from Los Angeles, CA
3 August 2003

I've heard so many critics and average joes ripping into this flick like it was the first sign hailing the antichrist. The movie is simple, yes, but damn funny. Maybe I'm just not caught up in my own pretense to enjoy a simple movie. Yes, there are times when I crave something more sophisticated, but this movie still has my friends and I rolling in the aisles. Give it a chance and you just might like it. 7/10

Genuinely funny movie

Author: David Roberts from Cleburne, Texas
3 August 1998

David Zucker has directed one of the most enjoyable comedies of the year with this goofy farce. Yes, it's a matter of acquired taste and depends upon a wealth of sophomoric gags, but it is consistently funny throughout unlike some recent comedic efforts. The film is loaded with all kinds of jokes ranging from the blatantly obvious to the more subtler kind that you must pay attention to everything in the frame or you'll likely miss them. Like his previous efforts which include "Airplane!", "Top Secret!", and "Naked Gun," the humor flies out almost every second. There are so many moments that work, it's easy to overlook the few that fall flat. What sets this movie apart from other pale imitations in the spoof genre is that it has an actual story line. While others have depended upon making fun of too many famous scenes in almost random movies (take "Mafia!", please), this film tells a new story with likable characters. It touches upon sports films in general as well as satirizing the real sports industry instead of lampooning any specific movies. Even for people who don't care for "South Park," its creators, Matt Stone and Trey Parker, make a good pair of leading actors with natural chemistry. The film also makes extremely effective use of cameos of athletes, sports announcers, and other celebrities, especially a hilarious bit with Robert Stack of "Unsolved Mysteries." By the way, stay through the credits for a final joke with Bob Costas and Al Michaels. All in all, Zucker has achieved, in words perhaps applying to the movie's mix of sports, a home dunk.

Effing brilliant!!!!

Author: duntrune from rainville USA
10 February 2004

Just sickly and twistedly funny as hell. Parker and Stone are OBVIOUSLY demented, and hooking up with Zucker was a brilliant move. I laughed until I cried. I had to stop the tape several times because I was incoherent from laughing so hard. The Robert Stack bit was just sooooooooooo funny, as were pretty much all of the jokes. Now the DVD version on the other hand has some serioous problems, like missing scenes, no extras to speak of and horrible picture quality. Pick it up on VHS instead, no extras, but you get the entire movie.

Indecently hilarious!

Author: filmfreak-5 from Denmark
1 June 2004

I once watched Baseketball, got hooked and since then I watched it like 50 times. It is one of the films I cannot ever seem to grow tried of. I don't know what it is about it, but it is somehow so complete in its rough form.

Obviously, it doesn't hurt that there is plenty of nude (and amazingly gorgeous) women in the film (Victoria Silvstedt; WOW! is the only word that springs to mind!!!), but also because it is so delightedly respect-less towards just about anyone or anything.

All I can say to this flick is, if you like South Park, you'll LOVE this one! In fact, anyone with a sense of humour should enjoy this one!

and i laughed, and i laughed...

Author: Mickey Knox (cristane@metallica.com) from Brasov, Romania
25 January 2001

BASEketball is indeed a really funny movie. David Zucker manages to make us all laugh our heads off again, in a really silly, but many times smart, comedy.

The 2 creators of South Park, the main actors in this film, play very good, surprisingly good actually, but this is the first time i see them as actors. The movie oftenly reminded me of South Park - one of my fav shows.

It's a really good and funny film, so don't miss it.

Vote: 7.5 out of 10.

Great!...But let me tell you why!

Author: dbarbanti from N.Y.
23 December 2003

I thoroughly enjoyed this flick. I am of the firm belief that Matt Stone and Trey Parker are comic geniuses of our time. They have the uncanny ability to add this level of absurdity to pop culture and make it rediculous but in a realistic way ...if that makes any sense. This is mainly what makes South Park soooo funny. Once you get past the fact that it is probably the most vulgar and indiscreet cartoon ever, you see in every episode the message that is being conveyed. That is apparent in BASEketball. Although it is directed by David Zucker and is utterly rediculous, it has a sincere message about corporate America and the disgrace that is major league sports. I am also a fan of sports so I find this movie hilarious at times because it is so true in that bizarre way that people hate to love. The opening prologue is brilliant...tears from laughter form everytime I see those football players begin Riverdance! Some may not like this movie because it's just not everyone's cup of tea...but, just like South Park, once you look past the absurdity...it has a really genuine message that is conveyed through literal comic genius. I gave this movie 8 out of 10 stars.

I LOVED this movie!

Author: gargangel from Hellville, USA
5 May 2004

The sick minds of the creators of South Park, Matt Stone and Trey Parker, bring you BASEketball. Yes, if you are expecting a respectful and tactful movie, don't watch it. If not, sit back and laugh until you want to cry. There are so many things that actually made me laugh out loud, which very few movies do. I loved the part when Coop is driving in the car, and that funny song comes on the radio. Robert Stack and the entire cast was hilarious in this also. I really liked the fact that they have a character named Kenny in the movie. Don't forget to watch the outtakes on this as well! Please watch this movie if there is any Sophmoric humor inside of you at all!!

This should be a sport.

Author: neon47 from United States
15 May 2005

Why the crap is this movie rated so low?! I've seen this movie over 25 times, I know EVERY line to this movie. It's obvious that I love this movie. Trey Parker and Matt Stone (creators of South Park and the new puppet masterpiece Team America) star as the main characters Joe Cooper, or Coop "Airman" Cooper, and Doug Remer, or "Sir Swish." Mainly they're just referred to as Coop and Remer throughout the movie. Right as the movie starts it reminds us of the money hungry corrupt world of overpaid sports starts, they even go as far as to make one up called "Townsell." I must quote this portion of the movie since it is true with some sports starts: "And after playing for New England, San Diego, Huston, Saint Louis, a year for the Toronto Arganauts, plus one season as a greater at the Desert Inn I'm happy to finally play here in the fine city of Miami." His agent leans over: "Minnesota." Let us not forget this important piece of the movie. So it starts that Coop and Remer are at a high school reunion party and realize they are still nothing as they talk to their old classmates. Outside they create the sport BASEketball after being challenged by what probably was high school basketball heroes. After shaming them the sport goes pro in about a year. During this time they manage to recruit their third team mate Squeak, which is actually a day after they invent the game. As the movie follows we find out that Coop, Remer, and Squeak are the only virtuous sports heroes left. The story follows with zany blackmail, the Milwaukee Beers cheerleaders, and humor so absurd it'll leave you crying for more. Watch it dude, it's hilarious.

Does it just suck being you?

Author: salasticamor from United States
7 September 2006

There are so many words I want to use to describe this movie, but can't really do that can I? This movie is a movie to watch if you just want to sit, laugh, cry and then pee. I'm serious. Don't watch this movie if you're easily offended by profanity, sex, nudity, homosexuality...and everything else associated with nature. Being a woman, and that might not even be a factor, I can watch this movie over and over again. Trey Parker and Matt Stone are absolutely brilliant. Along with all their other debuts, I think Baseketball is the prize winner. I'm laughing now just thinking about some of the stupid things they do in the movie. Watch the movie!! That's all I'm going to say. It's sort of hard for me to leave this comment because I'm one of those people, like Ozzy Osbourne, who has a curse word in almost every line that blurts out of their mouth when they speak. So I'm keeping it professional. Best movie. Heck yeah!!

Great, Crude fun

Author: blackwolf14016 from Seattle, WA
17 January 2004

There really isn't much to say about this movie....it's crude, but fun.

Plot outline (From IMDB)

_____________________________________

Two losers from Milwaukee, Coop & Remer (Parker & Stone), invent a new game playing basketball, using baseball rules. When the game becomes a huge success, they, along with a billionaire's help, form the Professional Baseketball League where everyone gets the same pay and no team can change cities. Coop & Remer's team, the Milwaukee Beers is the only team standing in the way of major rule changes that the owner of the Dallas Felons (Vaughn) wants to institute.

_____________________________________

The Acting is pretty good, since there arn't many big stars in this movie. Although I am not a big fan of 'Southpark', Parker and Stone do a pretty good job in their first real movie.

There are so many funny moments in this movie I can't come close to naming them all. It never really lets up, and they don't try to put some cruddy drama in to make it more serious.

And my favorite aspect of this movie: The Soundtrack. It's GREAT. I especially like "Take me on" and "Beer" by Reel Big Fish. Very underrated.

Overall, a crude, but extremely funny, movie. 10/10