IMDb > The Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle
Page 1 of 20:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Moose and Squirrel Still Have the Magic

Author: briansteven from washington, dc
3 July 2000

I was really surprised at how much I liked this movie. R&B are brought magically to life in the real world, and still have the same magic in their camraderie. People complained that the puns were stupid and that the humor was aimed at adults. Hello? That's exactly what made the original cartoon so great.

R&B's observations on contemporary society are hilarious. The film also pokes fun at politicians, the legal system, and our addiction to TV, with a riotous sendup of "Cops".

The film is quite satisfying whenever R&B are onscreen. When it's just the human actors, things get a little dull. DeNiro, Alexander and Russo all are decent, but these performances would be criticized no matter who was playing them, with the possible exception of Jim Carrey. The best human performer is Piper Pirabo, a total hottie. She has been criticized for a bad performance, but I thought she did a great job.

It's not Oscar material, it won't gross $100 million, and it's not deep social commentary, but it sure is fun. Anybody with a sense of humor would be hard-pressed not to smile and feel good on the inside after seeing this. I just hope they make a sequel. Rocky & Bullwinkle forever!!!!

Is It Me, Or Is It Mighty Chilly On This Board?

Author: eebyo from Charm City
21 February 2004

I loved this movie to pieces each of the 4 times I saw it in the theater! Apparently not everybody was privileged to be born in 1955 and spend a childhood marinating in the Cold War puns and snarky anti-corporate digs of the original TV show. This movie brought it all back; if you had nothing to be brought back to . . . well, it's your loss. Renee Russo is fabulously snakey as Natasha, and tho' Rocket J. Squirrel couldn't improve on the original, that's because he was voiced by the original, the unsinkable June Foray. The only people who need to apologize for this movie are its promoters, who never figured out how to hook its natural audience of 40-somethings.

I can't wait for the remake of Fractured Fairy Tales.

Something to Remember

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
27 June 2000

I remember watching the television show (on tape) of Rocky and Bullwinkle. It was one of the best TV shows ever in my childhood. This film brings back the memories of not only that TV show, but the film Who Framed Roger Rabbit (combining animation and live action). This time, Rocky and Bullkwinkle leave their comic world existence and come into the real world to find the real live actors who played the bad guys- Natasha Fatale (Renee Russo), Boris Badenov (Jason Alexander), and in one of his best performances ever, Robert De Niro whp plays Fearless Leader (who knew De Niro could do a impression of himself from taxi driver). Great and funny entertainment, with many vintage things and cameos make this a must see for kids (who will like the characters, parents and adults (who will enjoy the 3 main bad guys) and film buffs. A+

??????????

Author: blackxmas from Georgia
2 December 2000

Why is this movie so bad? Why am I reading that people enjoyed this? It's embarrassing, the acting is awful, the script is even worse. This is a slap in the face to all of those who love Rocky and Bullwinkle. People are defending it, saying that it carries the same type of humor over from the TV show, and I'll have to agree, but it's not funny. It just doesn't work. So sad.

At Least Bullwinkle And Rocky Remain Animated

Author: bigverybadtom from United States
3 July 2013

Another relic from the "let's make a live-action movie from an old cartoon" fad from decades ago. Better than most of the others, but it still doesn't work, even with the decision to keep Rocky and Bullwinkle as toons rather than use, say, people in animal costumes.

A full-fledged cartoon version would have been far better. The human actors don't fit in with their cartoon counterparts. Robert DeNiro certainly didn't fit the part of Fearless Leader (they should have given that role to Nicholas Cage, who had a more suitable physique). We could have done without "Nothing But A Dreamer" by Supertramp either (the cartoon didn't have music, other than the theme and some "dramatic effect" chords at times) This effectively spoiled the old cartoon atmosphere, and the story itself was meandering and ultimately boring and pointless. For the running time, they could have done so much more.

Intended for fans of the old cartoon, but probably won't satisfy most of them.

A failed attempt to revive a classic TV character

Author: elusivedom from Chicago, IL
19 January 2015

Rocky the Flying Squirrel is a character who appeared in a TV series named for him dating from the late 1950s to the early 1960s. Decades later, filmmakers who are probably fans of the show's characters try to make a film, and try to revive them.

At first, I had no idea that the film flopped at the box office because I was not following it. This was until I read about it on Wikipedia. It was there I found out. I find it hard to believe how a film featuring a famous TV character could bomb. Films bomb at the box office either because of negative reviews from critics or insufficient marketing. But in the case of The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle, the reason is unknown. Perhaps it has something to do with which the filmmakers choose who gets to play who in the film. If a lad were selected to be Rocky, I guess the film might have been much more financially successful.

Surprisingly really good!

Author: maxreality2000 from United Kingdom
27 December 2007

As somebody who hasn't any recollection of watching any Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoons, I stumbled across this film on TV, I had no expectations of what it was. If anything I thought it would be rubbish. As most kids films take themselves really serious, and they are just plain lame - The Mummy springs to mind, good guys get chased by bad guys but the good guys just escape in time... yeah yeah yeah... boring. back to the film, it really doesn't take itself serious, and if you watch it in the frame of mind of watching a normal cartoon, it sticks to that formula really well, even using real characters - using the best actors in the industry certainly helped, to make it not be cheesy. The film is also littered with references to other films. The moose is nearly the same as Homer Simpson, so if you like him, you'll love the stupidity of the moose. I never watch stuff like this but was mightily impressed that it was spot on in what it was trying to be. Voice-over man was entertaining too, like in Wacky Races or Terry Wogan with the Eurovision TV show! Recommended!

Decent, But Don't Be Fooled

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
20 November 2006

One thing that was misleading: the cover of the VHS (or DVD) shows Robert De Niro, Rene Russo and Jason Alexander but those three do NOT have major roles or a lot of lines in this picture. Most of the lines are by an unknown name: actress Piper Perabo ("FBI Agent Karen Sympathy)" and the two cartoon characters.

This is another one of these live-action cartoons in which some characters are real-life and others are cartoons and the all interact on screen at once.

This comedy has a lot more subtle than laugh-out-loud lines. It's decent, and does have a certain appeal but is not as good as I expected after reading a couple of reviews prior to its release. I think it has an equal appeal for kids or adults.

It's the same old bull.

Author: vip_ebriega from Philippines
12 October 2007

My Take: Yet another lame attempt to put animation into flesh-and-blood reality.

"This is not a cartoon, this is the real world!", claims rookie FBI agent Karen Sympathy, played by Piper Perabo, and I wish I can say the same thing about THE ADVENTURES OF ROCKY AND BULWINKLE. It has a big budget, which it spends on fancy cartoonish sets and other bizarre gimmicks, for what? To make it look like a cartoon! This results into a lot of things that we could prefer seeing in a Saturday morning cartoon. But as a movie, it's pretty hard to see why this was such a favorite cartoon during the early '60's. This is one of the most ineffective and unfunny movies I've seen in a while. And if your not convinced, lets move to to the casting. Lets see, Robert De Niro as Fearless Leader and Jason Alexander and Rene Russo as his bumbling minions. Okay, now your convinced.

The film uses the technique of putting animated characters in real-live settings and real actors. This was done many times since films in the 80's like WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT and, recently SPACE JAM. And like SPACE JAM, although not quite as bad, ROCKY AND BULWINKLE enjoys too much with the playfulness of its cartoon characters that they forget that they're making a feature film here. So, it has not much to tell and can't even afford to make jokes that really work.

The film is basically a cartoon on a live action movie (which is made just as cartoonish as the animated world). Animated evil mastermind Fearless Leader (De Niro) and his henchmen have crossed the boundaries of an animated world and arrive in our 4-dimensional world and start a TV company called RBTV, meaning "Really Bad Television" (how prophetic), and turn people to mindless drones with their horrible cable shows. The FBI sends a rookie agent (Perabo) to protect still-animated Rocky and Bulwinkle from being zapped, allowing the megalomaniac from ruling the world.

And as the story goes, the laughs and silliness get even worse. The film hardly made me laugh, and no head-hitting, car-crashing and any other mishap to change my mind about that. They should know they're making a motion picture here, not a an episode of Bugs and Daffy (which, at least, is better than this). Despite its budget, director Des McAnuff instead spends it on silly cartoonish gimmicks that, joined in with the corny laughs (if you'd call it laughs) and embarrassed leads, it can all be summed up in a 30 minute animated feature for TV, not an 88 minute film.

Still, I did find one thing that was quite bearable in this walking disaster waiting to happen, and that is the entertaining cameos. How many movies can you see well-known (and then well-known) talents like Whoppi Goldberg, John Goodman, Kenan (Thompson) and Kel (Mitchell) and Billy Crystal just to name a few. Their cameos thankfully lightens up my high criticism for the film, but that doesn't stop me from giving it a big thumbs down.

Still, I won't discourage you from letting the kids see it, for it's mainly made for them and they might be the only ones who'll enjoy it.

Rating: * out of 5.

Cult Classic for the next generation.

Author: (winner55) from United States
15 November 2010

The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show was set up as a low-budget parody of television and film animation. It was rife with in-jokes, sardonic comments on the media, bad puns, occasional feints at adult humor. It was not your average kids show. It wore its poverty-row production on its sleeve. It mocked all our expectations, and a good many of our cultural shibboleths - contemporary academia and small-town middle-America both felt its sting.

Having avoided this film for a decade (presuming that Hollywood would bollix it up the way they had with the Warner Bros. cartoon characters and Casper the ghost), I at last found a cheap copy and said what the heck. Well, I was very much - and very pleasantly - surprised. The film is quite true to the original program. I love it when Whoopi Goldberg is referred to as "the honorable Judge Cameo". I love the sun bouncing up and down at sunrise and sunset. I am glad they dealt with Rocky's 'fear of flying' again (and getting over it) without any sentimentality. The in-jokes and sarcastic cultural references and media lampoons are all intact - those who complain about the animation and special effects miss the several remarks on the poor animation from the characters themselves - the animation and SFx are supposed to be borderline, that's part of the joke! So too the over-the-top characterizations and acting.

(The real illusion of cinema's 'art of illusion' is that generated by an audience expecting the illusions to 'look real' - it is this illusion - the audience's - that the Rocky and Bullwinkle Show, and now the movie, mock.)

The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show was kinda like Jazz - you either got it or you didn't. The low rating on this film only indicates that this is true for the movie as well.

The original show largely survived because of its low cost, and through syndication allowing it to be re-edited for marginal time slots, e.g., 5 am. It was only years after it ceased production that it's real strengths began endearing it to millions. In like manner, I suspect this film is on its own quiet, gradual way to becoming a cult classic. Parents will play it for their kids who will wonder "WTF?!" - then, ten years later the light-bulb will click on for those same kids, and they will 'get it' - and another generation of Rocky and Bullwinkle fans will come of age.

Page 1 of 20:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]