IMDb > The Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle
Page 1 of 19:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Moose and Squirrel Still Have the Magic

Author: briansteven from washington, dc
3 July 2000

I was really surprised at how much I liked this movie. R&B are brought magically to life in the real world, and still have the same magic in their camraderie. People complained that the puns were stupid and that the humor was aimed at adults. Hello? That's exactly what made the original cartoon so great.

R&B's observations on contemporary society are hilarious. The film also pokes fun at politicians, the legal system, and our addiction to TV, with a riotous sendup of "Cops".

The film is quite satisfying whenever R&B are onscreen. When it's just the human actors, things get a little dull. DeNiro, Alexander and Russo all are decent, but these performances would be criticized no matter who was playing them, with the possible exception of Jim Carrey. The best human performer is Piper Pirabo, a total hottie. She has been criticized for a bad performance, but I thought she did a great job.

It's not Oscar material, it won't gross $100 million, and it's not deep social commentary, but it sure is fun. Anybody with a sense of humor would be hard-pressed not to smile and feel good on the inside after seeing this. I just hope they make a sequel. Rocky & Bullwinkle forever!!!!

Is It Me, Or Is It Mighty Chilly On This Board?

Author: eebyo from Charm City
21 February 2004

I loved this movie to pieces each of the 4 times I saw it in the theater! Apparently not everybody was privileged to be born in 1955 and spend a childhood marinating in the Cold War puns and snarky anti-corporate digs of the original TV show. This movie brought it all back; if you had nothing to be brought back to . . . well, it's your loss. Renee Russo is fabulously snakey as Natasha, and tho' Rocket J. Squirrel couldn't improve on the original, that's because he was voiced by the original, the unsinkable June Foray. The only people who need to apologize for this movie are its promoters, who never figured out how to hook its natural audience of 40-somethings.

I can't wait for the remake of Fractured Fairy Tales.

Something to Remember

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
27 June 2000

I remember watching the television show (on tape) of Rocky and Bullwinkle. It was one of the best TV shows ever in my childhood. This film brings back the memories of not only that TV show, but the film Who Framed Roger Rabbit (combining animation and live action). This time, Rocky and Bullkwinkle leave their comic world existence and come into the real world to find the real live actors who played the bad guys- Natasha Fatale (Renee Russo), Boris Badenov (Jason Alexander), and in one of his best performances ever, Robert De Niro whp plays Fearless Leader (who knew De Niro could do a impression of himself from taxi driver). Great and funny entertainment, with many vintage things and cameos make this a must see for kids (who will like the characters, parents and adults (who will enjoy the 3 main bad guys) and film buffs. A+

Decent, But Don't Be Fooled

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
20 November 2006

One thing that was misleading: the cover of the VHS (or DVD) shows Robert De Niro, Rene Russo and Jason Alexander but those three do NOT have major roles or a lot of lines in this picture. Most of the lines are by an unknown name: actress Piper Perabo ("FBI Agent Karen Sympathy)" and the two cartoon characters.

This is another one of these live-action cartoons in which some characters are real-life and others are cartoons and the all interact on screen at once.

This comedy has a lot more subtle than laugh-out-loud lines. It's decent, and does have a certain appeal but is not as good as I expected after reading a couple of reviews prior to its release. I think it has an equal appeal for kids or adults.

Never watched the cartoon, loved the movie

Author: shockwave6668 from Richmond, VA. USA
9 March 2009

Note: I have never seen the cartoon series, although I know my step dad is fond of it. So I'm not sure how far this movie strayed away from the "magic" of the original cartoon. Makes me wonder if the new Star Trek film will make me love it or hate it since I'm a fan of the original.

This film was very entertaining and fun. I have never seen the 60's cartoon, but found this movie at a good deal ($5) and picked it up. I popped it in the old DVD player one Sunday afternoon and felt a little guilty and embarrassed. Why? Because this movie was so beyond kiddie. I'm watching a movie with a squirrel and a bull! And loving it.

Very over the top performances..but works very well in this format. I happened to watch Robocop 3 last night, and yes that was very over the top and became cheese! This film does it and succeeds. Robert Deniro does a wonderful job as he did in Dick Tracy. Sure, its no Casino or Heat! but he apparently understands the material and plays the role to fit the film. That's a good actor. No B-movie here. Shame this film is so trashed! Pure entertainment.

Unabashedly Hollow - and proud of it.

Author: JasonJayDelmonico from Houston, Tx, USA
6 July 2003

Final Score: 7.7 (out of 10)

"The Adventures of Rockey and Bullwinkle" is not my type of movie. However, it is so giddy over itself and so shamelessly self referential it's hard not to go along with it. If only just to see what it has up it's sleeve. While many movies throw in winks and nods at itself to cover up for it's lack of originality, 'R&B' is through-and-through, without a doubt a parody of itself. Just as the original TV show was. It's best and funniest moments come in the opening animated sequence and often from the narrator - I don't really care for that dumb Moose and flying squirrel to much.

The cast...well, I don't know. Robert DeNiro, Jason Alexander and Rene Russo certainly cover their cartoonish characters perfectly, but at the same time it's also a little embarrassing seeing such fine thespians rolling around in this. Piper Perabo shines with the least to loose and delivers one of the cutest performances ever put on film (it's a small category). The direction is creative. We are given some stunning scenes of animation - like Bullwinkle literally surfing the internet. The live-action/animation mix is not quite as seamless as "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" (also referenced in this movie) but it's the best since then. The whole movie is ahead of the rest of it's pack by the writing. The script is sharp. It throws lines at us with a rapid fire pace - sarcastic, ironic and occasionally laugh-out-loud-despite-yourself funny. Much of it will go over the heads of the target kid audience. I love Janeane Garofalo as a movie studio executive tossing out scripts she deems "to intelligent". Yes, it's hollow, lacks any character development, is an endless parade of cameos (we could have done without those Kenan and Kel kids), is ridiculously anti-climactic, filled with plot holes, doesn't give us much of an original idea and will probably be forgotten 5 minutes later... but it's supposed to be like that. It makes for a great diverting romp. What can I say - the damn thing's critic proof.

Enjoy this adventure

Author: Entertainment Doc
1 February 2004

Maybe it was the many puns or hilarious play-ons, but "The Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle" is one of the most enjoyable comedies I have seen.

Robert DeNiro leads an all-star cast that includes Rene Russo, Jason Alexander and newcomer Piper Perabo in a comedy that will knock everyone's socks off. I was very impressed by everyone in this film especially De Niro because this is quite a departure from his dramatic and action roles.

Newcomer Piper Perabo looks a lot like Renee Zelwegger and that is what I first noticed about her. I subsequently realized that she was more than just a pretty face, she is a real talent that will go far in Hollywood if she puts forth the effort.

Another aspect of the film that impressed me were the puns and play-ons the writer came up with since it were that made the film that much more enjoyable to watch as they were able to poke fun at others and yet still be funny enough where it didn't become silly.

"The Adventures Of Rocky & Bullwinkle" far succeeded my expectations of being one of the best made from a television show. I hope everyone can enjoy this film as much as I did because it is sure to make you laugh throughout the movie. This is a must-see movie for all ages to enjoy.

Surprisingly really good!

Author: maxreality2000 from United Kingdom
27 December 2007

As somebody who hasn't any recollection of watching any Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoons, I stumbled across this film on TV, I had no expectations of what it was. If anything I thought it would be rubbish. As most kids films take themselves really serious, and they are just plain lame - The Mummy springs to mind, good guys get chased by bad guys but the good guys just escape in time... yeah yeah yeah... boring. back to the film, it really doesn't take itself serious, and if you watch it in the frame of mind of watching a normal cartoon, it sticks to that formula really well, even using real characters - using the best actors in the industry certainly helped, to make it not be cheesy. The film is also littered with references to other films. The moose is nearly the same as Homer Simpson, so if you like him, you'll love the stupidity of the moose. I never watch stuff like this but was mightily impressed that it was spot on in what it was trying to be. Voice-over man was entertaining too, like in Wacky Races or Terry Wogan with the Eurovision TV show! Recommended!

Cult Classic for the next generation.

Author: (winner55) from United States
15 November 2010

The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show was set up as a low-budget parody of television and film animation. It was rife with in-jokes, sardonic comments on the media, bad puns, occasional feints at adult humor. It was not your average kids show. It wore its poverty-row production on its sleeve. It mocked all our expectations, and a good many of our cultural shibboleths - contemporary academia and small-town middle-America both felt its sting.

Having avoided this film for a decade (presuming that Hollywood would bollix it up the way they had with the Warner Bros. cartoon characters and Casper the ghost), I at last found a cheap copy and said what the heck. Well, I was very much - and very pleasantly - surprised. The film is quite true to the original program. I love it when Whoopi Goldberg is referred to as "the honorable Judge Cameo". I love the sun bouncing up and down at sunrise and sunset. I am glad they dealt with Rocky's 'fear of flying' again (and getting over it) without any sentimentality. The in-jokes and sarcastic cultural references and media lampoons are all intact - those who complain about the animation and special effects miss the several remarks on the poor animation from the characters themselves - the animation and SFx are supposed to be borderline, that's part of the joke! So too the over-the-top characterizations and acting.

(The real illusion of cinema's 'art of illusion' is that generated by an audience expecting the illusions to 'look real' - it is this illusion - the audience's - that the Rocky and Bullwinkle Show, and now the movie, mock.)

The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show was kinda like Jazz - you either got it or you didn't. The low rating on this film only indicates that this is true for the movie as well.

The original show largely survived because of its low cost, and through syndication allowing it to be re-edited for marginal time slots, e.g., 5 am. It was only years after it ceased production that it's real strengths began endearing it to millions. In like manner, I suspect this film is on its own quiet, gradual way to becoming a cult classic. Parents will play it for their kids who will wonder "WTF?!" - then, ten years later the light-bulb will click on for those same kids, and they will 'get it' - and another generation of Rocky and Bullwinkle fans will come of age.

Finally a good animation movie for adults

Author: oscar-35 from working in Movieland
26 February 2009

I was a Rocky and Bulwinkle fan for many decades. I was very happy to know that this film was being produced. The film has all the best of the R&B show along with a beautifully casted main stars. The top notch cast couldn't be any better. All were so good to the characters and took on the roles with real bravado. The costumes were a match. In this film was the only time DeNiro has ever re-do his classic 'Taxi Driver' Travis Bickle 'are you talking to me' as R&B Fearless Leader. It is a scream. And I happen know that most of them were BIG fans of R&B show. Nice to know that several producers on this project were the living original cast and crew from the Jay Ward TV days. Many desert scenes were shot in Palmdale and other on the old MGM lot in Culver City. This show is fun and enjoyable for all ages.

Page 1 of 19:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]