IMDb > The Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 1 of 20:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

No Wonder Why This Movie Bombed

Author: gregoryofthepillar from Atlanta, GA
16 March 2016

For much of my life, I knew nothing about Rocky and Bullwinkle. In fact I never knew until I read about cartoons with similar styles, and some of the actors of the Rocky and Bullwinkle show.

Many years after the characters made a name of themselves in a 1960s TV series, some people who probably liked the show a lot decided to give Rocky and Bullwinkle an encore through this film. Had the film been commercially successful, the franchise would have been revived to a great degree. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case as the movie bombed at the box office.

Because I'm hardly a fan of the 1960s show, what become of the feature film almost doesn't mean anything to me. But if I were fan, I'd probably beg the filmmakers to make another film. And to make the film more appealing to moviegoers, my advise to the filmmakers would be that they should use a young boy to perform the role of Rocky.

Author: blackxmas from Georgia
2 December 2000

Why is this movie so bad? Why am I reading that people enjoyed this? It's embarrassing, the acting is awful, the script is even worse. This is a slap in the face to all of those who love Rocky and Bullwinkle. People are defending it, saying that it carries the same type of humor over from the TV show, and I'll have to agree, but it's not funny. It just doesn't work. So sad.

Jon Monsarrat review: sub-intellectual, just for kids, and bad

Author: johnnymonsarrat from United States
3 August 2002

Having enjoyed the original cartoon series, I went into this film with a good attitude. I enjoyed "Airplane!" and am hardly one of those film school arty types who can't take a joke. If Rocky & Bullwinkle had been campy, dumb, but fun, I think I would have enjoyed it.

Unfortunately, the only good thing I can say is that I was hoping to hear a lot of bad puns, and I did. But there the similarity ended.

Taking Rocky & Bullwinkle out of its cartoon format into a 3D realm didn't work for me. The plot stuttered and didn't make any sense. Even starting from the attitude that this is a cartoon, so things will be wacky and nonsensical, it still didn't make any sense.

Worst of all were the syrupy and melodramatic interactions with Karen Sympathy, the FBI agent. The emotions and decisions of the characters didn't make sense.

Finally, there's something about comedy that involves timing. I don't know what it is. But the build-ups and physical pranks didn't work for me. Something was really askew in the presentation.

Who should see this film:

-- nobody, even kids, and especially if you've seen the original series, it will just make you sad

I'm forced to give The Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle a 3 out of 10.

It's the same old bull.

Author: vip_ebriega from Philippines
12 October 2007

My Take: Yet another lame attempt to put animation into flesh-and-blood reality.

"This is not a cartoon, this is the real world!", claims rookie FBI agent Karen Sympathy, played by Piper Perabo, and I wish I can say the same thing about THE ADVENTURES OF ROCKY AND BULWINKLE. It has a big budget, which it spends on fancy cartoonish sets and other bizarre gimmicks, for what? To make it look like a cartoon! This results into a lot of things that we could prefer seeing in a Saturday morning cartoon. But as a movie, it's pretty hard to see why this was such a favorite cartoon during the early '60's. This is one of the most ineffective and unfunny movies I've seen in a while. And if your not convinced, lets move to to the casting. Lets see, Robert De Niro as Fearless Leader and Jason Alexander and Rene Russo as his bumbling minions. Okay, now your convinced.

The film uses the technique of putting animated characters in real-live settings and real actors. This was done many times since films in the 80's like WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT and, recently SPACE JAM. And like SPACE JAM, although not quite as bad, ROCKY AND BULWINKLE enjoys too much with the playfulness of its cartoon characters that they forget that they're making a feature film here. So, it has not much to tell and can't even afford to make jokes that really work.

The film is basically a cartoon on a live action movie (which is made just as cartoonish as the animated world). Animated evil mastermind Fearless Leader (De Niro) and his henchmen have crossed the boundaries of an animated world and arrive in our 4-dimensional world and start a TV company called RBTV, meaning "Really Bad Television" (how prophetic), and turn people to mindless drones with their horrible cable shows. The FBI sends a rookie agent (Perabo) to protect still-animated Rocky and Bulwinkle from being zapped, allowing the megalomaniac from ruling the world.

And as the story goes, the laughs and silliness get even worse. The film hardly made me laugh, and no head-hitting, car-crashing and any other mishap to change my mind about that. They should know they're making a motion picture here, not a an episode of Bugs and Daffy (which, at least, is better than this). Despite its budget, director Des McAnuff instead spends it on silly cartoonish gimmicks that, joined in with the corny laughs (if you'd call it laughs) and embarrassed leads, it can all be summed up in a 30 minute animated feature for TV, not an 88 minute film.

Still, I did find one thing that was quite bearable in this walking disaster waiting to happen, and that is the entertaining cameos. How many movies can you see well-known (and then well-known) talents like Whoppi Goldberg, John Goodman, Kenan (Thompson) and Kel (Mitchell) and Billy Crystal just to name a few. Their cameos thankfully lightens up my high criticism for the film, but that doesn't stop me from giving it a big thumbs down.

Still, I won't discourage you from letting the kids see it, for it's mainly made for them and they might be the only ones who'll enjoy it.

Rating: * out of 5.

Unserious movie, perhaps too unserious to be entertaining.

Author: starkobert
23 May 2014

Movies that aren't serious can be really fun, this one however is an exception from that statement. I know it's supposed to be silly, to be wacky and hilarious but it just doesn't do it for me. The green/blue screen effects are extremely bad and throughout the movie I never felt that the animated characters were "real". The puns in this movie was over-used as well along with the bad script and I think that's what destroyed it the most for me. Now don't get me wrong: an unserious storyline can still make the watcher believe it by using the right tools. But a script that bad made the storyline completely unbelievable and breaking the fourth wall is something you should not over-use even if you want the comedic effect to become stronger. Why is that? Because breaking the fourth wall is a great way to make the audience get shocked since the actors are breaking a rule there, which catches their attention immediately. If you over-use this, however, the effect gets worn off to the point where it just gets annoying.

In some shots there's some filming-errors as well such as too much headroom, unnecessary space where it's not needed since it doesn't provide any information, lack of contrast balance between the green/blue screen shots and the objects/people and etc. Perhaps something you don't think about too much, but can be extremely annoying if it constantly occurs. This is also the reason why it looks like a really really bad B- movie from the 80's personally. The acting overall was pretty okay, even though there were in some places in the movie where it was noticeable that the actors didn't really did their roles seriously which made it harder to believe the story.

All in all, a bad movie.

waste of time

Author: alexmcn57 from essex, england
24 December 2001

this is cinematic rubbish this film was a waste of my time it had some well known stars big deal robert de niro oh the sham u came from a line of great films why blow it all well i cant compare the movie to the tv show becase ive never seen it and after the movie i think i never will

A failed attempt to revive a classic TV character

Author: elusivedom from Chicago, IL
19 January 2015

Rocky the Flying Squirrel is a character who appeared in a TV series named for him dating from the late 1950s to the early 1960s. Decades later, filmmakers who are probably fans of the show's characters try to make a film, and try to revive them.

At first, I had no idea that the film flopped at the box office because I was not following it. This was until I read about it on Wikipedia. It was there I found out. I find it hard to believe how a film featuring a famous TV character could bomb. Films bomb at the box office either because of negative reviews from critics or insufficient marketing. But in the case of The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle, the reason is unknown. Perhaps it has something to do with which the filmmakers choose who gets to play who in the film. If a lad were selected to be Rocky, I guess the film might have been much more financially successful.

At Least Bullwinkle And Rocky Remain Animated

Author: bigverybadtom from United States
3 July 2013

Another relic from the "let's make a live-action movie from an old cartoon" fad from decades ago. Better than most of the others, but it still doesn't work, even with the decision to keep Rocky and Bullwinkle as toons rather than use, say, people in animal costumes.

A full-fledged cartoon version would have been far better. The human actors don't fit in with their cartoon counterparts. Robert DeNiro certainly didn't fit the part of Fearless Leader (they should have given that role to Nicholas Cage, who had a more suitable physique). We could have done without "Nothing But A Dreamer" by Supertramp either (the cartoon didn't have music, other than the theme and some "dramatic effect" chords at times) This effectively spoiled the old cartoon atmosphere, and the story itself was meandering and ultimately boring and pointless. For the running time, they could have done so much more.

Intended for fans of the old cartoon, but probably won't satisfy most of them.

Author: Theme_Park_Boy from London
15 April 2002

This was the worst film I've ever seen! You'd never catch me watching it again! If they bring out a sequel I might watch it to see if there's any improvement, but its so boring my friend fell asleep and he didn't care that he was sitting on chewing gum! I recommend you to see it if you are 4-9 years old but older than that I recommend Rat Race (THE FUNNIEST FILM I'VE EVER SEEN)!

One for the kids

Author: forehead1 from Dunstable, England
3 August 2001

First and foremost I see that a number of comments on this film have suggested that it was too 'grown-up' for the younger viewers - on this point I couldn't disagree more. I felt the main reason for my lack of enjoyment of this film was that the many gags in it were unintelligent and obviously aimed at children, unlike films such as Toy Story and A Bug's Life which - while being aimed primarily at children - include moments of irony and satire that make the adults laugh too. I believe my nephews and niece would have enjoyed this film much more than I did.

The basic plot was thin and basic (as expected in a film like this) but the jokes did nothing to let you forget this. At the very least the storyline should have been created around well thought-out moments of humour. It wasn't. Robert De Niro was the best part of it but not even he - or the many cameos - could save what was primarily a bad film. The moose was almost as annoying as that God-awful Jar-Jar Binks from Star Wars: The Phantom Menace and irritated me throughout. The whole production smelt of a poor man's Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

I've never seen the original cartoon of Rocky & Bullwinkle and after watching the film have no intention too. Expect to see this screened at around lunchtime on Bank Holidays for years to come.

Page 1 of 20:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]