IMDb > Up on the Roof (1997/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Up on the Roof More at IMDbPro »

Real Feel Good University Musical Film With The Requisite Happy Ending - Sort Of

Author: s_baynes from United Kingdom
23 March 2005

I should state that the majority of the vote above is for the excellent soundtrack.

Set in the early eighties; following the lives of a bunch of young university students who sing together in their own 'On The Roof' club. It follows their lives throughout the years, occasionally meeting up for a sing along and a good old British natter.

All in all, the film is watchable, albeit you will appreciate it more if you are a fan of accapella music - It really is excellent. In short, you might be better off investing in a copy of the soundtrack rather than the film itself. Worth watching if you're at a loose end.

British film-making at its amateurish worst

Author: Clare O'Brien from Cambridge, England
28 February 1999

Dealing with the lives and loves of five British university students in the fifteen years after graduation, Up on the Roof attempts to be a bittersweet comedy about the disillusionment of maturity in the style of Peter's Friends. However, this lame and derivative saga falls down on almost every front. The characters fail to engage the emotions, the styling is badly researched (headbands and love beads in 1979 ???), the script is unfunny and the direction unfocused and meandering. This is British film-making at its amateurish worst.

Waiting for something to happen.

Author: roffy from UK
4 May 2004

I watched this film on TV waiting for something to happen. But it didn't.

Unless you include the badly lip-synced songs the 'friends' insisted on torturing the audience with at regular intervals.

If you want to see a handful of cliched, one-dimensional characters go through life in a highly predictable way, I can't recommend this film enough. Unrequited love, success, failure and growing up are all handled with equal ineptitude.

I hope I exceed my life expectancy by 90 minutes to make up for it.