IMDb > "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board
Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

The Best Animated Series Of My Childhood

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
15 January 2000

Teenage Mutant Nija Turtles is something I will never forget because it touched me in a way no other series did when I was a kid. The Ninja Turtles were fun loving, pizza eating and ninja fighters. And they taught kids lessons along the way. What more can you ask for. Oh yeah, the next best thing.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Author: Mr_Garak from Cuba
6 February 2003

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Heroes in a half shell TURTLE POWER!

Their the worlds most fearsome fighting team.

We're really hip.

Their Heroes in the half and their green.

Hey get a grip.

When the evil shredder attacks, these Turtle four don't cut him no slack.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Splinter taught them to be Ninja teens.

He's a radical rat

Leonardo leads, Donatello does machines.

And that's a fact jack!

Raphael is cool but crude

Gimme a break.

Michaelangelo is a party dude.

PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!

Heroes in a half shell TURTLE POWER!

One of the best show I ever watched.

Growing up as a kid in the UK I had to put up with the show being renamed "Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles" aswell as the theme song being changed to say "Hero" Instead of "Ninja" the start of "P.C." in the UK.

What's wrong with the word Ninja I ask you?

Ninja's are cool and the turtles proved this.

Of course Cam Clarke (Leonardo) now does the voice of Prince Adam / He Man in the new He Man series, and who could forget Will Smith's Uncle Phil from Fresh Prince, James Avery as The Shredder.

A Classic cartoon which should be brought out on DVD.

80s quality cartoon carried into the 90s

Author: D.E from Canada
2 January 2004

This was probably the cartoon that saved the animation of the 90s from being really awful. The last of the great, great 80s cartoons.

Great writing, great characters, voice talent, stories, humour. This is only reiterated by its long running air time in syndication, and its slot on CBS Saturday morning.

I remember the syndicated episodes and the CBS episodes being slightly different.

Now for my real beef: Don't be fooled by the remakes and redoings, live-action, animated or otherwise of TMNT that you see now a days. They're all INFERIOR products compared to the original 80s cartoon. If you want to see the quality that was TMNT...you must see the 1987 syndicated and CBS series.

One of the greatest shows of all time.

Author: Paul Melin (transfan15@yahoo.com) from ????
20 July 2000

As a kid, this was one of the greatest TV series of all time. Everything about it was fresh and original; nowadays, cartoons (and other TV shows) copy other shows. Leonardo was always my favorite because he was the mature, leadership-involved turtle. I miss it not being on the air. This show, the Transformers, G.I. Joe, and X-Men were the best cartoons.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles! The original animated series!

Author: Movie Nuttball from U.S.A.
26 September 2004

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles animated series is one of My favorites of the 1980s animated programs. When it was on I watched it as much as I could! It has very good animation, cool characters, some humor, great music, and awesome action. The characters are really neat. All of the the Turtles are great, April is so good, Splinter is so spiritual, and Shredder is excellent. I loved how all of the characters have great personalities. In My opinion I don't think there will be a cartoon like this again because it was one of a kind! If you like the Turtles movies but never saw the series and are able to watch it on television or buy it on tapes then do so because the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon is a classic!

Cowabunga! A memorable cartoon!

Author: SonicStuart from Kansas City, MO
9 April 2004

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is very cool cartoon with the series about 4 turtles that get covered in ooze and become ninja mutants along with a guy the got turned into a rat. So now they fight crime on the streets of New York City against the evil Shredder and his two goons Rocksteady and Bebop.

Leonardo was the leader of TMNT. Donatello was the expert at machines and mechanical stuff. Raphael was the tuff one and the practical joker and Michaelangelo was the one who is the life of the party. Splinter thought them to become ninja superhero teens and also the turtles would get help from news reporter, April O'Neill. I thought James Avery did a good job at voicing the Shredder and so did Jim Cummings for the final seasons for this show. I also thought Barry Gordon did a good job at Donatello because I also liked Barry Gordon doing Razor from Swat Kats: Radical Squadron and the other voice actors were good too! I hope sooner or later they start making dvds of the complete episodes of every season this show had. I also enjoy the new series on Fox Box

BOTTOM LINE: GOOD SHOW!

User Rating: 9/10

The Best Childhood Remembrance!

Author: AtomicAnthony from Queens, NY
20 January 2003

I watched this almost all the time when I was a kid. Seeing the Foot Soldiers, Krang, Shredder, and everyone else was great. I can still picture it all. Too bad that it isn't airing anymore. At least videos are made, so you can enjoy the turtles all over again.

COWABUNGA! PIZZA TIME!

Author: Christopher Smith
18 June 2004

One of the better cartoons of the 1980s and a pop culture classic, TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES is one of the more brillant series to ever air on Saturday mornings. It may not be as good as other 1980s animated actions shows such as THUNDERCATS, but it still is better than the other 1980s cartoons that dominated the airwaves thanks to the amazing voice talent and surprisingly good animation. The story lines were a tad lame at times, though nobody expects great storytelling from a show about turtles that live in a sewer and eat pizza. Still popular today, TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES returned to television in a new series in 2003 that currently airs on Fox, although it is not nearly as good as the original.

The gold standard by which action cartoons should be judged.

Author: lee-190 from Boston, MA
15 April 2002

Many die-hard TMNT fans will tell you that the cartoons are juvenile and overrun with corny jokes, corny plotlines, and references to pizza. They'll proclaim that the original Mirage comics are the "true" incarnation of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

They're mostly right, but the first season of the cartoon (a 5-part miniseries, originally shown in the space of one week on syndicated TV in 1987) knocks the block off the comics and off all other action cartoons ever written. It retains the dark, edgy feel of the comics, but contains enough humor to avoid seeming stern or self-absorbed.

The miniseries details the origins of the TMNT and their master, Splinter the rat--it seems Splinter was originally Hamato Yoshi, an instructor in the Foot Clan of ninjitsu in Japan, until he was double-crossed by one Oroku Saki and banished. Yoshi then fled to New York City and lived in the sewers with the rats and four pet turtles. One day, Yoshi found the turtles covered with a powerful mutagen which turned the turtles into humanoid turtles and Yoshi into a humanoid rat. Knowing that they would be considered freaks by society, Yoshi trained them in ninjitsu. Yoshi named the turtles after his favorite Renaissance painters: Leonardo, Raphael, Michaelangelo and Donatello.

While skulking through the sewers, the turtles rescue April O'Neil, a TV news reporter who has run afoul of an army of street thugs while investigating a series of break-ins committed by ninjas at high-tech scientific equipment companies. Upon meeting her saviors, April promptly faints, and the turtles take her back to their lair. When April comes to, Splinter tells her their origins. April, however, is unimpressed and thinks the turtles are responsible for all the break-ins she's been covering. The turtles persuade April to hold off on any impulse reporting and let them find the crooks for her.

The turtles and April investigate these robberies and discover that they were perpetrated by an army of robots wearing the colors of the Foot Clan, leading Splinter to conclude that Oroku Saki is the leader of the whole operation. Splinter gets captured by Saki's robots and taken away. The turtles hunt down Saki in his base--a mobile underground fortress called the Technodrome--and discover that Saki, who now calls himself the Shredder, is indeed responsible for the crimes the turtles have been investigating. Not only that, it was Saki who dropped the mutagen in the sewers, thinking it would destroy Yoshi. Shredder makes a bid for the turtles to join him, but they refuse, and then proceed to kick the butts of his henchmen.

In later episodes, it is revealed that Shredder is in league with an alien warlord named Krang from dimension X, and that Krang wants to bring his troops from dimension X to conquer Earth. The turtles manage to foil Shredder and Krang's ambitions by causing the Technodrome to suck itself into dimension X. April is able to document the turtles' battles with Shredder and Krang and convince some of the skeptics of the turtles' heroism.

So, there you have it. This is the cartoon origin of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and it's about 100 times better than the comics origin (and the movie origin, which was loosely based upon the comics).

The miniseries is available on laserdisc (extremely rare!) and on a collection of 3 VHS tapes titled "Heroes in a Half Shell," "Hot Rodding Teenages" and "The Shredder is Splintered." A somewhat condensed and edited version is available on the VHS tape "The Epic Begins," but it's worth the extra cash to buy the 3 VHS tapes and get the full, uncut miniseries.

GREAT!

Author: SpideyTerry from Ardmore, PA
9 January 2000

This was a wonderfully done cartoon series. It was inventive and classy. Many stories were original and made sense as opposed to many cartoon series from that era. Animation was great. Nothing compared to today, but for that time it was something. An overall great series, catch the reruns where ever you can.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]