IMDb > "Sport Billy" (1979) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Sport Billy" More at IMDbPro »

Weird, cute, but at the same time entertaining... yeah right

Author: EB803610 (EB803610@ntu.ac.uk) from Nottingham, England
25 April 2001

This is a strange little cartoon that I remember when I was at nursery school. It was about Billy, a small kid who used his magic bag to defeat this strange alien woman whose name I can't remember (she was green though). He would pull out all manner of dodgy sports equipment from his bag in order to defeat the evil one (damn, why did I never think of that!). Unfortunately, whilst the show was quite entertaining it was a little too slapstick. I mean, for Christ's sake, why didn't he use the baseball bat in a violent way like normal people (as opposed to using in to hit a ball at the evil one's spaceship). Worth watching if just for the memories.

Great, sport-loving, fair-play cartoon.

Author: ganja182 from Greece
12 May 2007

OK. There was Vanda, an evil witch who, with the help of her minions, wanted to eliminate sports, or at least sports' fair-play from existence, and there was Billy, who with the help of Lilly, Willy, their clock-looking time-traveling spaceship, a magic bag and Sporticus, tried to stop Vanda's plans.

The cartoon was great because it showed the importance of friendship, teamwork and how joyful and fun sports are especially when there is a sense of fair play and not just the need to win your opponent(s).

It took place in lots of places and through many time periods.

A great cartoon for children to earn some values and not just watch another cartoon.