IMDb > No Code of Conduct (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

No Code of Conduct More at IMDbPro »

Second rate home movie

Author: FlickJunkie-2 from Atlanta, GA
16 December 2000

Charlie Sheen produced this home movie starring his father (Martin Sheen), his uncle (Joe Estevez) and himself. This is a B-minus film about dirty cops involved in a drug deal. Almost everything about this film is second rate. The story is predictable and unoriginal. The dialogue is mindless and insipid. The photography is dull and the music is awful. The only redeeming elements are the stunts and pyrotechnics, which are reasonably well done.

The acting is mediocre at best. Charlie Sheen is often embarrassingly bad, leaving his dad to carry the film. Uncle Joe is just a throw in to keep the family employed and adds nothing to the film. The three drug goons are wretched.

Charlie Sheen's once bright career continues to grind gears with this clunker. I rated it a 4/10. Action lovers might enjoy it, but others will want to pass.

Enjoyable Rental

Author: Jen Everett from Chicago, Ill
8 April 2003

No Code of Conduct was a last ditch effort rented on a rainy night for my sick boyfriend who loves shoot em ups! We both really enjoyed this one and thought the Sheen's did an great job. The action scenes were great and the end scene with all the pyro was awesome. Glad we rented it.

Why bother?

Author: neil_mc from Manchester, England
27 August 2004

SPOILERS (maybe)

It may have sounded like an interesting idea at the time to pair up 'The Two Sheen's', but let's face it, the result is not really worth the effort. Believe it or not, the two of them actually look very uncomfortable together and are very mismatched.

As you'd expect, the film churns out flipped over cars, exploding buildings, lesbian Chinese-American psycho's etc. etc., but what cannot be excused is the 'man not spending enough time with his family' routine (hasn't that been done before somewhere?!!).

The highlight of the film for me was probably the sound effect of the stomach stabbing near the beginning - very impressive and dramatically OTT. Good stuff. Those 'whoosh' cuts on the other hand...

But as ever with action films, one important question arises from the experience, and here it is: why do police officers insist on taking their own polished cars out on dangerous police work when they know they're gonna be rained with bullets?

Oh dear, what went wrong!

Author: Neil Lowry from Belfast, N.Ireland
22 April 1999

I am a big fan of both Charlie Sheen and Mark Dacascos but I'm sorry to say that this is a terrible movie. The director Brett Michaels just didn't have a clue and succeeded in making everybody involved with this movie look bad. Make no mistakes this is not only a B-movie but it is an almost unwatchable one. It is hard to believe the poor standard of acting from a jumpy looking Charlie Sheen. I just hope that this is as low as Charlie sinks. I'm off to watch "Drive" and "The Arrival" DVD's to redeem my faith.

The things parents do for their children.

Author: mc21691 from Michigan
4 December 2000

This was a very disappointing film. I expect a lot more from Martin Sheen. The plot was week. Oh, and the long winded lectures from "bad guys" justifying their actions...give me a break. The producers slapped the name SHEEN on the title and didn't pay attention to the story line.

A good way to kill an hour and a half

Author: bigdaddydope from Ontario
4 March 2001

I had heard about this movie a few years ago, yet I was never able to find it on video. After all but giving up on seeing it, I found it on PPV one day. Without hesitation, I purchased it. I wasn't expecting much from the movie, but being a Charlie Sheen fan, I thought that it was at least worth a viewing.

I was pleasantly surprised while I was watching it. Now, make no bones about it, this movie won't win any awards and Charlie Sheen is certainly no Tom Hanks, but the material and the stars are a good match. (Although Mark Dacascos is sadly underused.)

Some good action sequences and a strong subplot involving Sheen's relationship with his estranged wife and daughter as well as his father make for a well rounded "B" action film. This is the movie that redeemed Sheen in my eyes after the debacle that was "Free Money".

At just over an hour and a half, the film doesn't overstay it's welcome, and a few comical moments spread throughout the movie are welcome. Overall, on a scale of 1 - 10 (1 being "Hanging Up" and 10 being "Gone in Sixty Seconds), "No Code of Conduct" rates an 8.

One Of The First "Charles" roles

Author: Comeuppance Reviews from United States Minor Outlying Islands
12 February 2004

From the mind who invented the song "Unskinny Bop", Bret Michaels, comes "No Code Of Conduct", his second directorial effort after "A Letter From Death Row".

"Charles" Sheen as he liked to be called for 2 years (1997- to early 1999) was okay in this film. He plays a cop on the edge. He drinks too much and spends little time with his family etc.... His father Martin is in it and plays a nothing role as his father. Joe Estevez of "Money To Burn" fame plays a helpful mechanic. The editing is very silly because there's always a "whoosh" sound before the scene starts. It is a ** star film.

For more insanity, please visit: comeuppancereviews.com

Action Surprises

Author: (okramkay@aol.com) from USA
13 November 2000

I was impressed that director Michaels cast against the grain. Really impressed with the work of habitually nice guys Joe Lando (Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman) and Ron Masak (murder, She Wrote)as the baddies...Masak's low key approach to the role was refreshing and menacing. Also liked the work of Newcomer Tina Nguyen. Charlie Sheen should watch his Dad more and see what good acting is...Kudos for Brett Michaels.

How the mighty have fallen!

Author: Facade from West Midlands, England
4 March 2001

This should have been a good film. Fine actors, a fair story line, violence and guns a plenty.

I hope no-one in Law Enforcement sees this one.

How did the Sheens get their police jobs? Incompetent doesn't describe their performances. I'm a big fan of shootouts, especially the John Woo style with vast expenditure of ammunition, but these were insultingly bad.

Charlie does justify his appalling aim in a scene with his wife where he tells her that he is coming home to his family rather than spending time at the firing range. (He should have spent half the film there if you ask me)

There is a scene where it occurs to me that someone had reduced the powder loads in their ammunition to the point that they bounce off car body panels at 5 metres. (This also explains why the guns jam, there isn't enough power to work the action)

I could have done better. Even I could hit a van at 5 metres!

Watching this will have you squirming with embarrassment for the Sheens, and wanting to help them shorten the film by an hour by actually aiming at things.

Had A Blast With This One!

Author: Frank Velardo (vaeinc) from Baker, CA
10 June 2003

Fun, good rental - strongly recommended! Charlie and Martin Sheen delivered powerful and emotional performances that show why so rarely they act together as father and son, but when they do, watch out! These guys are explosive! Great car chase scenes too and the film editing is exceptional.