Detective Conan: The Time Bombed Skyscraper More at IMDbPro »Meitantei Conan: Tokei-jikake no matenrou (original title)

Best of all

Author: hanoma_75 from Germany
6 May 2005

I forget myself when I watch Detective Conan. It is full of emotions, romance, crime, thrill, action and cleverness. I think it is for all people over 15 years old. It is a good Ideal for all American movies. I think this series of movies and episodes have to be published around the world. Although there are sometimes where the crime and story is unbelievable to be happened, but the thread of the stories will still to be more that attractive and motivating for more watching to the next work of this small detective. strange thing that I didn't find more than one of this beautiful work movies. wishing to see more in this outstanding database. All the best: Hanoma

"The Time Bombed Skyscraper" gets the Detective Conan movie series off to a great start.

Author: (macabre-6) from Norway
4 July 2010

Though this is the very first movie in the Detective Conan movie series, it's not the first one I've seen. I have seen six others, that's movie seven through twelve, and I must say, that this is the best one I've seen so far. I'm really starting to get into the series, I love the characters, the writing is leagues above most other animation. I mean, this is outstanding stuff, sometimes I can't tell if it's mostly intended for kids or adults, not because of the occasional violence, but just the sophistication of the writing, I know I've mentioned that earlier, but it is truly something. And regarding the whole kids/adults thing, this is a series that I believe appeals to both kids and adults, though the somewhat brutal murder in the beginning of the movie might upset very young children, then again, maybe not, kids are tough nowadays.

Anyway, this movie is 90 minutes long, which is 30 minutes shorter than many of the later Conan films, it's better paced and it still manages to tell a great story and provide some genuine thrills, sweet moments and absolute, nail biting tension in the climax. The titular skyscraper is only featured in the last 20 minutes of the movie's running time. The stuff previous to that is just as good, with a murder mystery in the beginning, and other bomb cases for Conan to solve. The villain is real easy to figure out, mainly because the movie doesn't throw in red herrings left and right. The villain is really despicable and evil, as a good villain should be.

The animation is great, granted this movie is from 1997, so it might not look quite as sharp as the later films in the series. There are several great moments in this one such as Genta and Mitsuhiko getting jealous when Ayumi pays special attention to Conan. But probably the best moment was near the end with Conan and Ran in the skyscraper with the bomb. Such a sweet and at the same time, intense moment. I mean, I knew they were going to survive and yet I was at the edge of my seat. This is the best Detective Conan movie I've seen so far, now bear in mind I haven't seen movies 2-6 as well as 13 and 14 yet, and I'm really looking forward to seeing "The Phantom of Baker Street".

Conan's first movie.

Author: emasterslake from United States
21 September 2007

It was Spring, and Ran is hoping to go out on a date with Shinichi on his birthday after having a conversation with him on the phone. Which was actually Conan, who in reality is Shinichi in the body of a kid caused by an unknown capsule used by 2 suspicious men in black. Conan couldn't find any other excuse to get himself out of this mess as Ran insisted that he'd be there in person.

On the day of his birthday, Conan receives a phone call at his place. The caller wants to speak to Shinichi so Conan used his voice changing tie to communicate. The caller told him he's planted bombs in several locations. And is giving him clues on where each of them are located. Prof. Asawa believed it's only a prank phone call. But Conan knows it was for real. Because prank callers don't use voice manipulators.

For 24 hours Conan must search and find all the bombs before there'll be any casualties. Will he be able to find out who's the mysterious caller? And will he save Ran before she gets into any danger? For only being the first movie, this one is pretty good. I expected it to have more to it. The puzzle on who did was a no brainier, but the story made the movie entertaining to watch. It's worth the time if you're familiar with the Detective Conan series. Those who aren't are able to understand what's going on, because of the beginning having a recap on what the plot is.