IMDb > Footrot Flats: The Dog's Tale (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Footrot Flats: The Dog's Tale

The Best and most Hilarious Animated Film of the 80's

Author: therobster85-2 from Victoria, Australia
20 May 2000

As soon as I saw this film when I was a kid, I fell in love with it! So I got the comic books and have nearly completed the whole collection. If you wanna get a really good laugh, see this movie! IT CRACKS ME UP BIG TIME!

An animated classic

Author: anonymous
29 May 1999

One of the few non-disney animation films that are truly great. This story of rural New Zealand follows the adventures of a farmer, the local kids and a dog- Dog. The only animated feature new zealand has ever produced is a classic. Exciting, hilarious, scary it has everything. The unique style of the comics works well on film and the atmosphere created by the dingy colours at some times is truly immersing. See this movie now!

A ground breaker

Author: enzedder from Wellington, NZ
5 March 2002

This film was an amazing event when it was released in New Zealand. Footrot Flats has for several decades been New Zealand's most popular and best loved journal cartoon strip. Murray Ball's characters are household names to millions of Kiwis around the world, and this film gave them living character, voices, movement. The film was celebrated immensely and rightly so as, made as it was with that unique NZ quality that comes with our movies, it had cartoons speaking with Kiwi accents that weren't forced or too Australian, NZ scenary, NZ themes that captured the rural environment of the day - everything about it was, and to many people no doubt still is, very familiar. The film has Dog - the real-life inspiration for whom died a few years back which received national media attention - saving Jess, his bitch, and starting a family, trying to keep Wall and his girlfriend Cheeky apart, and discovering the meaning of being alive, as well as the human menaces of his life living their simple existences. A must for all patriots of Aotearoa, anyone who's lived on or spent time on a farm out the back of some place here or there, or anyone who loves good quality animation.

One of a Kind

Author: Dale hotz from Australia
30 July 2005

This movie was bloody excellent - sorry but its almost like a opening line by Wallace Footrot. Anyways They are releasing this movie on DVD for the first time in almost 20 years on November the 9th, 2005. The movie set the scene for many New Zealanders or as we call them Kiwi's. It shows the life on the farm, as well as the sport that many Kiwi's love, Rugby. the life of a jealous dog who loves his owner and Loves his owner to love him. The trials and tribulations of a Dog, and owner relationship, with the beautiful animal lover neighbor, his pet cat, named horse who is ferocious and a fine example or a fine male dominant cat. We can forget the many others in this movie as well

It's a... Slice of 80s

Author: springroll from Oceania
2 July 2002

This film was indeed a big hit when it came out in the mid-80s. I watched it again recently for the first time since seeing it on the big screen, and was suprised at how different my perception was of it as an adult rather than a kid. As a kid I don't remember the awful synth music being quite so awful, yet of course this can be put down to the decade which spawned it. The voice of the dog was also far too weak and naieve, and was the script, I didn't feel that it captured the dog's character as I imagined it having grown up reading the Footrot Flats cartoons. Aside from the script and soundtrack though, I thoroughly enjoyed watching this movie again. The backgrounds are great and really capture the dark gritty feel of rural New Zealand. The animation is good and the rugby scenes are funny and really capture the end of an era - farmers dreaming of being All Blacks, not for money but for glory. The days before the All Blacks donned Adidas shirts. I think that if the soundtrack was re-recorded and some of the script changed this A Dog's Tail could be re-released and make a comeback in the theatres. However as a slice of 80s it is a pristine example as it is.

Footrot Flats

Author: bilby351 from Australia
7 January 2006

I am quite happy with the way Murray Ball has put together such a great movie. I am a girl I know but I love football... The soundtrack to go with the movie just made the movie so much better. I do agree with the annoying helicopter noise and not enough of the song Slice of Heaven. But have bought it and is in a special collection. Congratulations to all cast and crew for a great job.... A movie that will never die for me... I watched the making of the movie and it was the best part of the DVD. Seeing the characters are really based on actual people. They have made the details so accurate it is unbelievable. Don't judge the movie until you watch the making of the Footrot Flats. Considering how old the movie is, it is still so popular. Wal was my best character as he reminds me so much of an average every day guy, but he is still so romantic. My other favorite character is dog. The biggest sook but still a mans best friend. I hope everyone enjoys the movie as much a I did.

Great Movie

Author: anonymous from Los Angeles, California
15 July 1999

I have to say that this is one of New Zealand's greatest movies. Unlike "Lawless", "Xena", "Hercules" and the like, this movie proved that New Zealand can do animated features. The soundtrack is great - personally I like Oughta Be In Love and Slice of Heaven. Good on ya Murray Ball and my Dog Rest in Peace.

A good cartoon film showing New Zew ealand life

Author: anonymous from Gisborne, New Zealand
27 February 1999

A great piece of work by New Zealand cartoonist Murray Ball. This shows New Zealand culture at its best. Most people will think of xena when they think of New Zealand entertainment but this is really a piece of art.

this would be so great if it was remade! or even a sequel

Author: vixinoz from Australia
20 January 2007

Truth is I did keep an open mind, but i could see that despite the heart of this movie it wasn't enough to hide the missing a few basic film making essentials. I laughed but it was usually when no one else was, kids and parents around laughed a little more robustly so i maybe jaded, anyway I feel that...

Too many cutaways were missing, to tie things together and make it a sweeter experience.

Characters needed just a little more development to give them some character.

Script needed tightening as did some scenes.(wal dancing to 'outta be in love') The most defined and likable characters were RANGI and HORSE, Jess was likable enough but needed a little more attitude and more screen time.

best voice over was RANGI(rawini prating) I recommend this if you have kids, are a kiwi or want to know about NZ and kiwis or if you are a farmer or want to know about farmers.

Wish this was better

Author: Yahya from Australia
17 February 2006

As a Kiwi who grew up with this comic strip, I looked hard to find this film which few stores in my part of Australia seem to stock. However, I was disappointed in the results. The film tries to fit far too much in, and lacks a coherent plot. Where's the resolution of the dog drowning in the sheep dip? What about the 'breakup' between Wal and Cheeky? My kids watched the film and frankly were bored. It just goes to show that a great comic strip doesn't necessarily work as a film. I also thought the soundtrack was lame, especially when Wal (voiced by the always excellent John Clarke) suddenly breaks into song with the high-pitched tones of Dave Dobbyn - a voice that would have been much more suited to the dog. Let's face it, if this wasn't a Kiwi animation with nostalgic value for many of us, it would be a complete bomb