IMDb > "Lonesome Dove: The Outlaw Years" (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Lonesome Dove: The Outlaw Years"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

Wonderful Show!

Author: (miss_tink@hotmail.com) from Iowa
16 April 2001

Lonesome Dove: The Outlaw Years is the continuation of "Lonesome Dove: The Series". It is a much deeper story than it's predecessor, and is rich with character development as it follows young Newt Call. The Series is comparable to Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman, while the Outlaw Years take a darker turn - one that really makes you think. Every aspect of the show is superb - so watch it already! Late nights on Odyssey Channel!

Great show!

Author: Rose-35 from Pennsylvania
4 October 1999

This is one of my favorite shows. I recently started watching it on the Odyssey channel and I love it! I usually don't watch a lot of western based shows but thanks to Dr. Quinn and such, they're probably my favorite now. Eric McCormack, Paul Johansson and Paul Le Mat are my favorites on this one. They play Mosby, Austin and Josiah to perfection, esp. Eric. It's too bad it had to be cancelled after 2 seasons but I guess all good things must come to an end. Hopefully they'll start showing episodes from "Lonesome Dove: The Series" (I've only see the first 3 episodes) so I can see how the characters were before "The Outlaw Years". From what I've seen so far everyone's changed a lot so it would be very interesting.

deserved better

Author: mdurkin93 from Canada
2 February 2006

this show deserved a 5 year run. It almost has a NYPD BLUE feel to it for grittiness and the way some of it is shot. A good honest feeling western, it truly picks up where the mini series left. Bairstow seems to have studied the characters from each mini series created and eloquently brought his own version to the screen. He himself is good actor if given the right role in the right show. Watching him in other shows and movies, he knows how play dark characters. If the show had progressed i think some of the episodes written later in outlaw years would have become more consistent, i think it would have also ended more coherently. Still, Any lonesome dove is worth owning

4 out 5 stars

We want more!!

Author: christex30 from United States
30 April 2007

I rented Lonesome Dove The Outlaw Years from Net Flix and thoroughly enjoyed the entire series. My wife and I were puzzled though when Mattie got shot and nothing else was said about it and we were equally disappointed at the final episode when Mattie left...was that it? Was there an intention for future episodes? I love everything about Lonesome Dove and just wish they could finalize it all better. Mattie and Newt were certainly my favorite characters...Thanks goes to all who helped make this series so enjoyable to watch...just wish there was more. Now that I realize there was a different series prior to this one I am going to have to rent it as well. I cant wait to see Newt's wife and how that whole situation transpired.

Lonesome Dove: The Series vs-The Outlaw Years

Author: earpmorgan from Glendale, Arizona
2 April 2005

Last week I received my 21 episode DVD set of "Lonesome Dove, The Series." This series is so good that I watched it all in two days.

Eric McCormack played an interesting character, Clay Mosby was suppose to be a cousin of the famous John Singleton Mosby.

Scott Bairstow did a great job as Newt Call. Christianne Hirt was also great as Mrs Newt Call. She is a very talented and beautiful actress. (She rides a horse like a real cowgirl and roped my heart in the process...LOL) Yesterday I bought the last copy of "Lonesome Dove, The Outlaw Years" at my local Best Buy store. I am already on episode three. It is also a well done series but I really miss Christianne's character.

Great show!

Author: Rose-35 from Pennsylvania
4 October 1999

Will greatly miss all things 'Lonesome Dove'

Author: Richard Abraham from Little Gaddesden, England
24 September 2008

From the very first paragraph of McMurty's original Pulitzer Prizewinner I was hooked on all things 'Lonesome Dove'. At that stage obviously I had no idea of the wealth that was to come. So, through the original Duvall/Lee Jones, to Jim Garner as Call in 'The Streets of Laredo', then prequels 'Dead Mans Walk' and 'Comanche Moon', and even the McMurtry non-authorised 'Return to Lonesome Dove' with Jon Voight. The DVDs and the books which inspired them all now have pride of place at home.

Then came 'The Series' with Scott Bairstow, Eric McCormack and the fabulous Christianne Hart which took Newt Call as its lead. Yesterday I got very sadly to the end with the final episode of 'The Outlaw Years'. This was a much grittier outing for the characters than 'The Series' and there is no doubt certain characters underwent changes which were perhaps a little unrealistic, especially Josiah and Austin Peale. That said, they suffered greatly at Hannah's death as did Call who changed completely from 'The Series' but I guess with good cause.

Although the ending left much unsaid and undone (can anyone please tell me if a follow-up was originally planned but pulled?) this was a compelling part of the 'Lonesome Dove' saga, exceptionally well produced, atmospheric and beautifully played by all especially Eric McCormack and Scott Bairstow.

If you watch the episodes in the correct order (not as on the DVD but as listed on this website) and suspend a little disbelief you will find it satisfying and enormously enjoyable.

'Lonesome Dove ' The Outlaw Years' - as with all LD titles - has great merit and I cannot recommend too highly.