IMDb > "The New Tom & Jerry Show" (1975) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The New Tom & Jerry Show"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"The New Tom & Jerry Show" More at IMDbPro »

Despite Not Being The "MGM's", It Was Still A Great Show.

Author: happipuppi13 from Phx. Arizona ("Arizona Smells Funny"!- Homer Simpson)
20 November 2007

This incarnation of Tom & Jerry debuted when I was 7 and ran in reruns through the early 1980s. So for me it wasn't gone when it wrapped in 1977. Needless to say i hadn't seen the original MGM's at the time (1975-76) so this was the only Tom and jerry I knew for awhile.

So,them being friends in this version was simply how the show was and how they were introduced to me. It had nothing to do with toned down cartoon violence (which I hadn't much of yet). it was just a funny show where sometimes T & J team up to help someone out trouble they're in.

Like one show where a baby mammoth has been found and just wants to go home to it's mother. While being pursued by the resident villain who wants to cage it and make a fortune. Similar show where they find a new baby eagle hatching out of a misplaced egg and they try to raise it. Turning their lives upside down.

There were shows where Tom & Jerry competed against each-other and "surprise" Tom tries to cheat (like in running a track race). Tom hooks up a motor to his back but then he can't shut it of. He gets loose of it and it chases after him.

What also has stuck with me to this day is it's catchy theme song:

"Set the dial for awhile have a laugh and smile, it's the Tom and jerry Show!"

You'll be skimmed with a grin when you first tune us in, it's the Tom and jerry Show!" (Announcer introduces T & J,music plays)

"Lot's of zing,lots to sing. Everything's gonna swing, so get ready here we go-o-o-o!" "Big or tall,short or small...we'll all have a ball, on the Tom - and - Jer-r-ry show!~"

Whoever said kids who watched this were wusses,you were wrong. it has nothing to do with non-violence at all.

We just liked the show and watched it with all the rest of what Saturday morning in the '70s offered. More simply,we just liked to laugh. 10 stars,because nothing beats a good child-hood memory...that's something no one can change.

Oh..and if you want lame Tom & Jerry cartoons,try the ones made in Europe,in the 1960s,they're boring and flat out annoying.

Tom and Jerry in name only

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
10 June 2006

In the 1970s, a lot of do-gooders pushed to make cartoons non-violent. The thinking was that kids will imitate the toons and become violent themselves. While I applaud the idea of controlling what crap kids watch, cartoony violence doesn't equate to the same violence often seen on TV news, cop shows, or the average film marketed to kids--or watching 5 seconds of "The Jersey Shore". So, the cartoons were the scapegoats of this movement at that time. That is why, in this case, Tom and Jerry are friends and get along most of the time. If they do get upset, the most they'd do is shun the other! THe horror! That's like having a W. C. Fields movie where he is sober and likes kids, a Cowardly Lion who is filled with courage or Donald Duck after an operation and tons of speech therapy!! It just doesn't make sense and the change fundamentally destroys the chemistry and who the characters are. In this case, the show is left insipid and only of value to wussy kids and hippies.

My all-time favorite incarnation of Tom & Jerry. Can't get enough!

Author: Aaron Handy III (ah07_1999@yahoo.com) from New Orleans, LA
3 August 2005

Regardless of how many negative posts, criticisms, rants and insults of it that come out of the woodwork, Hanna-Barbera's 1975 version of Tom & Jerry shall always hold dear to me! To each his own...

I've been a fan of it ever since 1979, when they first aired locally in my hometown, N'Awlins, every Monday-Friday afternoon @ 3:30 on ABC (now Fox) affiliate WVUE-TV Channel 8, on The Tom & Jerry Hour. It was a mixed bag of T&J cartoons, theatrical (1940 to 1967) and TV (1975 to 1977). This was how I first learned of these made-for-TV T&Js from H-B. The theatricals were great, but I (being a child of the 1970s and a connoisseur of Hanna-Barbera's mid-to-late 1970s work) somehow grew more attached to the 1970s version. Sometimes WVUE aired the main title sequence from The Tom & Jerry Show separately from the 48 7-minute T&J stories, sometimes they aired the end credits.

I later read in Stuart Fischer's book Kids' TV: The First 25 Years that they originally aired in 1975 on The (New) Tom & Jerry/Grape Ape Show. I remember thinking, "Ah! So that's where they came from!" This is also how I learned of The New T&J's originally pairing with The Great Grape Ape, which I only discovered via repeats on ABC Sunday Mornings! (Yep, I missed out on the original run on ABC, and I had just come into it.)

I decided that the 1970s T&J was my sole favorite, and faithfully followed its exploits from its first local airing on WVUE to its re-airing in the 1980s on WNOL-TV Channel 38 (now a WB affiliate) and Superstation WTBS, which, on Tom & Jerry And Friends, showed 7-minute 1975 T&J cartoons framed in-between main and end title sequences! I also realize that a huge number of serious animation fans have and continue to liken New Tom & Jerry to New Coke, calling it a cheap imitation of the originals, and thus giving them a bad rep over the years. I don't think it's all the 1975 version of T&J so much; I think a great many 'toon fans have prided themselves on being hooked on the originals and declaring any version out of that scope as inferior.

Hence my web presence, The New Tom & Jerry Info Site @ http://www.1975tomjerry.50megs.com/ , which I launched in March 1997, to show all and sundry that there was someone out there who took interest in them and, to a degree at least, put an end to all the bad press they've been getting. Until January 2004 (so far), Boomerang from Catoon Network has done the 1975 T&J's justice by showing them periodically on Boomerang Saturdays (1976, 1977 and 1978). They neglected to show them in April 2004 during the weekly Friday T&J marathons; they seem to be limited to the 1940-67 Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer theatricals, Filmation's 1980-82 version (The Tom & Jerry Comedy Show) and that 1990-93 Fox revival Tom & Jerry Kids (that gray stripe between Tom's eyes was not his best feature, IMHO!). But CN more than made up for this with the addition of the 1975 T&Js to their rotation in May 2005.

Like I said, to each his own. Everyone here has his/her favorite version of Tom & Jerry; mine is and shall forever remain H-B's "black sheep" 1975 made-for-TV version. Just because a Tom & Jerry cartoon, be it old or new, is nonviolent does not mean it cannot be watched and enjoyed. (I mean, check out the sports-themed New T&Js! And Spike! And Hoyt Curtin's jazzy underscore!)

So, if you will, sing along!!!

Set your dial for a while! Have a laugh, wear a smile! It's The Tom & Jerry Show! You'll begin with a grin When you first tune us in On The Tom & Jerry Show!

Introducing that world-famous cat...Tom! And that magnificent mouse...Jerry!

(instrumental solo)

Lots of zing, lots to sing! Everything's gonna swing! So, get ready - here we go! Big or small, short or tall, You will all have a ball On The Tom & Jerry Show!

This was most of my childhood viewing pleasure! I loved the cat and mouse chases!

Author: Danny Blankenship from Petersburg, Virginia
24 December 2013

I know that "Tom and Jerry" was maybe at it's classic best back in the days of the 50's and 60's of the MGM Oscar award winning days. Still I wasn't born till 1978 and my early years of exposure to cartoons and morning and evening viewing after school and before I started school was of these episodes from the mid 70's as in the early 80's I was catching the reruns. The team and art work of Hanna-Barbera made the cartoons a pleasure to view the color was bright and a treat to view as a kid. And really nothing changed as after I watched the MGM episodes too, these new episodes still had the fun chases and adventures of the cat and mouse rival. And many episodes the duo might become best of friends and memorable too was "Spike" the big bulldog and his little son puppy. Such a wonderful cartoon that I sometimes view again in today's world it brings back memories of my childhood as "Tom and Jerry" is the best cartoon ever!

I was remembering a specific Tom and Jerry episode

Author: durrant4145@rogers.com from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
1 April 2005

(SPOILER!) I was just remembering a Tom and Jerry episode where the duo are engaged in an airplane race. The episode is very like an old TOM SLICK episode and like Tom, the duo are racing up against an evil Austrian baron with a devious plan to win the race by cheating. One of my favorite scenes from this episode is where the Baron climbs up on their tail only to be greeted by an annoyed Tom. I was just wondering, could this story be based on an unused TOM SLICK script or been written by the same writers? Even the ending is similar - where Tom and Jerry cross the finish line first and are declared the winners - and so are the Baron's antics, including using dynamite and other means to knock the other contestants out of the race.

O.K., but I'd rather see the theatrical ones.

Author: BlackJack_B
29 March 2002

While Scooby-Doo is still the crown jewel of the properties of Hanna-Barbera, the one creation that they're probably most proud of is Tom & Jerry. This influential and revolutionary cartoon about the classic "cat chasing the mouse" won several Oscars for Hanna-Barbera and MGM. Without them, there might not be a "Sylvester vs. Tweety", "Wile E. Coyote vs. The Road Runner or Bugs Bunny" and yes, no "Itchy And Scratchy". Yes, all these cartoons are pretty violent, with the use of anvils, rocks, TNT, guns, and even Iron Maidens, but they weren't overblown gory like Matt Groening's twisted parody of Tom And Jerry.

When Teletoon in Canada started showing Tom & Jerry, I thought we'd see the theatrical cartoons, but instead we got this made-for-T.V. series. This time, Tom & Jerry are friends, and they are the ones who have to face a common enemy or do a chore for someone. If they have to go head-to-head, it's in sports competitions. Most of the "slapstick violence" is gone, leaving a sterile version of the duo.

Still, it's not bad, and I watch it on occasion, but I'd rather see the theatrical versions of this cartoon first. It's better than Tiny Toons at least.

New Tom & Jerry now with 75% Less Violence than the original!

Author: (Brother Kneumsi) from Tustin, Ca.
19 January 2001

Okay, so some of the edge of Tom & Jerry playing literal Cat and Mouse games has been lost, but that's not altogether that bad a thing! Most of the old Tom and Jerry cartoons were hilarious, but let's not forget the instances when Tom was blown up or beaten with mallets by white mice or even other cats!

As a child I loved both incarnations of the duo, but somehow this later version was more likeable with Tom and Jerry as best friends. This was handled in such a way that the characters' mannerisms were still intact and recognisable, but the one-gag stories of "I'm gonna get you because you're a mouse and I'm a cat, and that's the way it is!" were eliminated, along with much of the violence! Luckily it was handled so well, that this series opened the door to some really funny adventures with wacky sports episodes ("What a disastah!"), and the rescue of dying, but still witty desert drifters ("Please give me a drink! Anything! Oh, Cherry Lime? I'm not so crazy about Cherry Lime! You got Grape?")

All in all this is a better series and definitely not a kinder-gentler sellout! Spike's still there! The action's still there, but you can let your kids watch without worrying about them spanking your cat with a hammer when you're not looking! In short, a Tom & Jerry without the Itchy and Scratchy in them!

Tom and Jerry Now Are Friends!

Author: ShelbyTMItchell from Seymour Tennessee
5 April 2013

Tom and Jerry are now friends. That is right you heard it! After decades going way back to the 1930s upwards to the 1960s, they were always trying to outdo one another with Tom getting the short end of the stick almost most of the time.

But now both are friends as they also tone down the violence. Back in the days where violence on TV was getting complaints over being too gruesome and violent. Both are now best friends and instead of working against each other in the old days, they work with one another.

To achieve their goals with often humorous results. Really a funny show. Must love Tom and Jerry no matter what decade or incarnation that you are in!

Better than I expected

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
24 July 2011

Having heard people calling it an abomination, I was hesitant. But when I watched The New Tom and Jerry Show it was better than I expected. It is not as good as the classic MGM cartoons, but it is much better than the Gene Dietch cartoons(now there's the meaning of abomination), and I prefer this show over Tom and Jerry Tales and Tom and Jerry Kids. I admit I did miss the violence and chases, which at its best were amusing and lively while never feeling sadistic. However, this is a beautifully drawn show and the theme tune is wonderful as is the background music. The stories are sweet and funny, and Tom and Jerry, whether they are friends or against one another are still likable. All in all, I think while inferior this show is more than decent. 8/10 Bethany Cox