Mickey Blue Eyes (1999) Poster

118 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Loads of laughs
Gubby-Allen20 February 2002
This was great. People exaggerate the amount of roles where Hugh Grant plays the loveable Englishman. There's only been 3 to my knowledge. I don't really care anyway, as he is brilliant in that role. DeNiro, John Wayne, Morgan Freeman etc generally play the same role in their films and it doesn't put the viewer off.

This wasn't up to Four Weddings or Notting Hill standard. The story line let it down, but only slightly. You need to be of a certain intelligence level to find the satire & dry wit of these films, funny. Give me that anyday to the sex & masturbation gags in most films or the childish braindead crap from Adam Sandler or Jim Carrey that that mistakenly falls into the genre of 'humour.'

It's such an easy film to watch and enjoy. There's more humour at the beginning than the end of Mickey Blue Eyes, but it has at least half a dozen laugh out loud scenes and is worthy of a mark far superior than 5.8/10.

Highly recommendable, a very high ...

47 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
surprisingly good
Robert D. Ruplenas28 September 2001
Just happened to rent this one on a whim, mainly due to the cast - Hugh Grant and James Caan - and was surprised to find a much better than average comedy. When the world of a sophisticated English-born art auctioneer in a Tony Manhattan auction house collides with the world of the New York mob, one expects a universe of comic opportunities, and the movie pays off in spades. James Caan is becoming one of those rare actors who is as adept at comedy as at heavier roles. The script is intelligently funny, and the movie is loaded with riotously incongruous situations. The scene where Caan attempts to teach the debonair Hugh Grant how to say "fuggedaboutit" in a hood's accent is alone worth the price of the movie. An overlooked delight.
25 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good movie, rating seems a bit low to me.
TxMike11 October 2002
This is a comedy all the way, and one of the funnier "gangster" comedies I've seen, in tone reminds me a lot of "Analyze This." Hugh Grant is the boyfriend and Jeanne Tripplehorn is his girl, but she refuses when he proposes because her father is a mobster (James Caan, in a perfect role) and she knows they would suck in her innocent auctioneer. The writing is refreshingly good and Grant's delivery makes it go. Here I disagree strongly with critic Ebert who thinks Grant was not right for the role.

My favorite scene, I laughed so hard I had to back it up and watch again, Grant has to pretend in a restaurant that he is "Mickey Blue Eyes" from a Kansas City gang, and his poor imitation of NYC gangster talk is hilarious. This film has no lasting value but is very entertaining, enough so that I think it deserves an "8". I saw it on DVD, nothing remarkable about the presentation, but nothing wrong either.
23 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A bit cheesy, but really, really, really funny.
EHolliday14 September 1999
The whole idea of the movie is pretty creative, but near the end of the movie, the story got a little predictable (that's all I'll say about the plot... so no I'm not spoiling anything.)

However, I laughed to the point I was literally in pain. A lot of pain. Especially during "the restaurant scene". Even after the movie I was still giddy, and I started laughing hysterically in the parking lot of the movie theater. An aftershock I guess?

If you're looking for a good laugh you should go see it. If you're looking for a strong plot, save your time and money.
13 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not bad.
Rhino Rover23 August 1999
The previews that I saw for this movie promised it to be a very funny movie...and for the most part it was but it could have been better.

The movie is about a conservative British fellow (Hugh Grant) that runs an auction house in New York. He decides to propose to his girlfriend (Jeanne Tripplehorn) but she has reservations about marriage as her father has connections to the mafia. In her opinion, this marriage will not work as Grant's character will invariably be sucked into the organized crime life. He assures her that he won't and they decide to go ahead with the marriage. As you guessed it, Grant does become entangled and what ensues is a humorous "fish-out-of-water" comedy as Grant tries to get himself out of a mess.

For the most part, the characters were well played. Hugh Grant does a good job, albiet familiar to other characters that he's played recently (and probably not too unlike his real self) but it was nonetheless well played. Most of the humor revolves around his character and his ability to deliver the lines and timing is very well done. The same cannot be said for Jeanne Tripplehorn's character. She seemed to overact some scenes and others it seemed that she wasn't quite sure how to portray the character. At times, it almost made me feel uncomfortable trying to watch her find her role. James Caan did a very good job of playing the father and in some cases, he stole some scenes. The rest of the actors played their roles fairly well although many of these actors have been typecast as the mafia type character.

Although the movie was fairly amusing, there were places that it seemed to drag a little bit. A sign of a good movie for me is how much my mind wanders and this did happen in some places. In my opinion it could have been even funnier but in general it was pretty good. Overall, I found it to be entertaining and genuinely funny...7/10.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Grant & Caan Lift Lighthearted Mob Spoof
ccthemovieman-118 April 2006
This was an entertaining comedy, similar to several other films I've seen in which an innocent-appearing nice guy gets caught up in the middle of a mob family. (i.e. Matthew Broderick in "The Freshman.")

In this film, it's Hugh Grant who winds up in mobster James Caan's clan. The latter isn't known for his comedy but he's good at it. Sometimes just the facial expressions on Caan's face brought out big laughs with me.

Joe Viterelli is perfect for any Mafia-type story, as is Burt Young. It was a little strange, though, to see Young look like such a shriveled up old man. Jeanne Tripplehorn provides the romantic interest in here.

My only complaints were too much usage of God's name in vain, especially for a comedy, and the typical on again-off again marriage plans you've seen so many times in movies for many decades. Overall, however, a good lighthearted comedy that should please a lot of people.
20 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Unflattering caricature
Minofed25 December 2000
It took only a few movies for Hugh Grant to become a caricature of himself. He first gained notice as the hopeless romantic in "Four Weddings and a Funeral." Audiences fell in love with his good looks, deadpan delivery and ability to convey hurt. He was even better in "Notting Hill," and added just the right note of foppishness. But in "Mickey Blue Eyes"-perhaps because he is miscast-all of these once-endearing traits now seem annoying. The floppish hair once endearing in Notting Hill now seems to be a distraction. His repeated use of the word "right," just right in Notting Hill, seems annoying here. Perhaps the problem is that the previous two films were fresh and well written. "Mickey Blue Eyes" is neither. Perhaps it's time for Grant's character to move in a new direction and to once again display the talent he showed in "Remains of the Day."

"Mickey Blue Eyes'" plot about an auctioneer about to become engaged to what turns out to be a Mafia princess is okay. And the idea of using an auction to launder money is fresh. But the second half of the film goes down hill quickly. And the supposed tragic ending is too obviously a ruse.

The only two saving graces in the movie are James Caan and Scott Thompson. It's been fascinating to watch Caan move from pretty boy ("Lady in a Cage" and "El Dorado") to real life and screen tough guy ("The Godfather") and now to comedian. Watch Caan's eyes-they seem to be in conflict with the rest of his body, letting us know that he knows a lot more than he's letting on.

Thompson, of the "Kids in the Hall" troupe, shines here as an FBI agent. He steals every scene he's in.
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not The Greatest, But Amusingly Funny
lasherxl20 October 2000
So perhaps this isn't the best romantic comedy out there, but it certainly did have a few interesting twists, and some generally funny moments to it. Hugh Grant was the bumbling and charming Brit he always is, Jimmy Caan was great as the mob member daddy to Jeanne Tripplehorn. It's a fun film to watch and I think most people will enjoy it.
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Can True Love Ever Run Smooth with Mobsters for Inlaws?
wcourter31 January 2000
Key Words: Cute / Funny / Stumbles & Mumbles / Nice Ending

This often-told tale of accidently getting involved with the Mob ("Family") is well done here with lots of humor. Hugh stumbles and mumbles as he tries to walk the thin line of getting wed to his sweetheart without getting sucked in by the Mob that her father works for. There are some really well crafted humorous scenes, and the ending is more complex and surprising that I had expected. The Italian music that runs through the flic will have you humming along after the credits roll. I thoroughly enjoyed this light bit of fluff...........
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Light humorous escapism
Buff200121 August 1999
Better than average comedy/farce with a lot of good laughs, many at the expense of the overworn Italian Mafia stereotype. James Caan plays the spoof as well as he did the original (look for a brief reprise of his "Kiss Me Goodbye" role); Hugh Grant comes across better than usual; and Jeanne Tripplehorn is well cast as are all the other supporting Mafia types you have seen in the more dramatic Mafia films.

A good two hours of laughs and escapism.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Surprisingly Funny and Intelligent
mspam28 January 2002
I was surprised at how funny, intelligent, and non-predictable this movie was. I'm male, and not a big Hugh Grant fan, but I enjoyed it very much. It's not a chick-flick.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An Englishman among the Mafiosi
theowinthrop8 December 2007
Hugh Grant is in someways a modern version of a comic actor who I have had problems with in viewing: Charles Butterworth. Butterworth would hem and haw, afraid of making some social faux pas while pursuing whatever business occupied his activities on screen. This diffidence while mildly amusing could get tedious after awhile. Similarly Grant will hesitate, and stammer a bit. But his English manners, and his good looks make his hesitancy far more easy to accept than Butterworth's. Certainly his good looks have made him an easy leading man type (whereas Butterworth always played in supporting roles).

MICKEY BLUE EYES gives Grant far more to be nervous and hesitant about. He plays Michael Feldgate, a highly successful auctioneer at a leading house in Manhattan (his boss is Philip Cromwell (James Fox)). Michael has been romancing a schoolteacher named Gina Vitale (Jeanne Tripplehorn), and has finally decided to propose to her. Besides causing an unintentional series of uproars in a Chinese restaurant, he is surprised to find Gina less than enthusiastic. After he meets her father Frank Vitale (James Caan) he follows Gina home and learns the reason for Gina's lack of enthusiasm (though not lack of love). Frank is a member of a Mafia family headed by Vito Graziosi (Burt Young), and Gina was always afraid that if Michael and she married he'd be trapped into the Mafia way of life sooner or later.

Uneasily Gina agrees to the wedding, with Michael insisting that with her assistance he can avoid any real problems from Graziosi and his gang. But soon the subtlety of the mobsters proves too much for Michael (with or without Gina's help). Graziosi realizes that auctioning art can be useful as a way of laundering dirty mob money (he can have debts paid by having various debtors settle what they owe by buying items the mob puts up at auction). And Michael soon finds he is auctioning art by Graziosi's violent mental case son Johnny (John Ventimiglia) that are setting records - records the F.B.I. are showing great interest in. While worrying about this, Michael is also under pressure of trying to present a good, respectable front for a potentially lucrative client. Somehow the mobsters and the F.B.I. just don't seem to help create this image.

Michael finds that everything Gina suggests, or her father Frank tries to help with fails, and soon the Englishman finds he is in the middle of an unwanted killing - one that can set off a mob war. He also finds that he has to parade around town with his erst-while father-in-law as an out-of-town underworld torpedo named "Mickey Blue Eyes" (actually, "Young Mickey Blue Eyes" from Kansas City, as opposed to "Old Mickey Blue Eyes" his dead dad, and the original "Mickey Blue Eyes" from Chicago!). This includes burying a corpse in an overused waste land, and ordering steak in a restaurant where "Mickey" is barely understood talking a version of underworld English, and upsetting customers by his anti-English remarks and his constantly dropping his gun.

The cast is wonderful, led by a continually drained Grant who can't find any way out of the deeper and deeper hole he is in, Caan who has found that he has a comfortable niche in the mob - but has somehow lost his daughter's trust, Tripplehorn who finds that she is bloodily closer to the mob than she ever expected or wanted to be, Young who is properly sinister but ruthlessly smart, and Fox who constantly trying to put the best face on the worst situations (like talking to his potential client about respectability, opening a door, and finding Grant shaking his behind in front of his fiancé!). Even that late budding comic "goon" actor Joe Viterelli (who played "Jelly" in the ANALYZE THIS and ANALYZE THAT films) has a nice moment where he watches a television commercial about a very strong adhesive tape that can even bind people's hands - and makes a note for future reference when he needs to bind some person's hands! Until the last comic twists of the plot, the film entertains, and is certainly worth a "10" out of "10" on the scale here.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Much better than I expected!
unamachita26 August 1999
I thought this was going to be mildly amusing and fairly cheesy, but went to see it anyway because Hugh Grant is funny and James Caan is always good. I was surprised at how often I laughed out loud. Also, the way Grant's character reacts to finding out his fiancee's father is a mobster is fairly realistic, I think. Maybe not Oscar material, but certainly a good couple hours' entertainment.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A wonderfully funny movie!
moviefan100-114 March 2004
This is a great movie to watch and relax.

Hugh Grant falls in love with the daughter of a mob-boss, and is unwillingly drawn into their way of live.

The movie is very funny and delivers a couple of extremely entertaining scenes. The actors (Hugh Grant, James Gaan and the usual 'mob gang') are great.

Jane Tripplehorn is probably the weekest link in the movie.

This is one of the funniest movies Hugh Grant has been in and beats the usual boring romantic comedy, e.g. "Notting Hill" and "Two Week's Notice".
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Funniest Scene in all of film
barrass8 January 2013
Within this film, there is a restaurant scene, which in my opinion is without doubt one of the funniest scenes of cinema. I have never before laughed out loud so much at a seventy/eighty second stretch of film. Although this one scene steals the film for me every time I watch it, the entire film is filled with gags that really appeal. I have to confess that the plot is entirely clichéd and pointless, but I find that it is a spiritual successor to the black, white and golden age of comedy epitomised by Laurel and Hardy et al. in terms of the facial comedy especially, with James Caan and Hugh Grant excelling in their close up work. If you are looking at this review as an indicator of whether you should watch this film or not, I urge you to ignore the measly mark of 5.7 and take a punt on it. It obviously doesn't appeal to everyone, but if it does appeal to you, you will absolutely love it.....
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A mob spoof with a few really funny moments and good story, but goes downhill near the end
Electrified_Voltage18 November 2008
In 1999, although I didn't actually see this mob spoof, I heard the line, "fuggedaboudit," was told where that line came from, and saw the trailer for the movie. I didn't actually see "Mickey Blue Eyes" until 2006, and by then, I knew it wasn't the most highly acclaimed comedy of all time, so I wasn't expecting to be blown away. However, I was hoping for at least a moderately funny spoof movie, and from what I remember, that was what I got. About 2 ½ years later, I've seen it a second time, and while I was still entertained by a good chunk of the film, it may not have been quite the same as before.

Michael Felgate is an art auctioneer from England who currently resides in New York, and is dating a teacher named Gina Vitale. He wants to marry her, but doesn't know about her family! She has relatives, including her father, Frank Vitale, who are members of the Mafia, and this is why she turns down Michael's proposal, as she is afraid that if they marry, he will be lured into the world of organized crime! Michael promises not to let that happen, but this is easier said than done! After they are engaged, Michael finds himself involved in a money laundering, and finds himself questioned by suspicious FBI agents, but he must play along with this scheme in order to survive! It gets worse when Gina accidentally kills the son of a mob boss, and Michael decides to take the blame!

The first scene in the film that stands out as really funny to me is the one where the owner of a Chinese restaurant stands at the table where Michael and Gina are sitting, and makes sure Gina eats her fortune cookie. For quite a while, the film goes fairly steadily, sometimes mildly amusing, and sometimes more than that. Another major comic highlight I can't forget is Michael having to pose as a gangster known as "Kansas City Little Big Mickey Blue Eyes" and having to try and speak with a New York Italian accent! The humour is not enough to carry the film, but there is also suspense, which definitely helps. For probably most of the film, it looked like my second viewing would be like my first, but I found that it started to lose its charm towards the end, I'm not sure why, but I was not left fully satisfied. Anyway, I would say this movie certainly doesn't fail miserably as a comedy, but as such, it certainly could have been funnier, though the story and suspense often makes up for that. There are much worse comedies out there, but I can see why "Mickey Blue Eyes" isn't as popular as "Analyze This", a mob spoof which came out the same year.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Surprisingly good Hugh Grant shocker!
Alex Brown31 August 1999
Ok, I'll admit I'm not the world's biggest Hugh Grant fan. He always plays the same character, the "lovable" bumbling man who wins over the hearts of the audience. Yuck.

However, this was a little different, Grant was excellent in a much enjoyable comedy with an excellent script and some very funny screnarios.

The highlights of the film have to be the imbecilic brother of the bride and the moronic FBI agent who, despite being predictable, brought many a laugh.

James Caan was also very good as the father of the bride (Tripplehorn) and most convincing as a mobster. Definitely worth watching.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An extremely funny, well put together film!
Mike_UK30 August 1999
I thought that "Mickey Blue Eyes" was a superb film, which was not only funny but very well put together. Hugh Grant gave a particularly excellent performance. I thoroughly recommend that anyone goes to see it!
Accurate
berky4122 August 1999
Maybe the Summer's best Comedy. Fantastic screenplay, and while predictable, very creative. MUST SEE. Fuggedaboutit!! Casting couldn't be better; acting is superlative, except for one scene, which should have been redone - in the ambulance at the end. Wouldn't doubt Oscar nominations will be plentiful!!
Hugh Grant Wants to Marry the Mob
tfrizzell24 November 2000
New York art-dealer Hugh Grant falls in love with Jeanne Tripplehorn, but there is a small problem. Her father (James Caan) is a mafia syndicate. Now Grant is being "asked" by the mafia to sell terrible pieces of artwork which were painted by no-talent "associates". However, nothing goes quite as planned and an accidental murder takes place. What follows are some great gags and some interesting situations. All in all "Mickey Blue Eyes" is a fair film that is definitely funny for the most part, but it never does really accomplish anything special in the end. 2.5 out of 5 stars.
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What a piece of crap
michaelmuller8 May 2001
This movie was a joke. And I don't mean it was funny. Yes, I did laugh a few times, but when you have such bad continuity, and bad acting, and bad jokes, and bad plot lines, and bad... I can't say enough. How I suffered through this piece of tripe, CONTRIVED tripe on top of it.

Wow, I couldn't believe how "The Mafia" was so unbelievably and horribly stereotyped, and how the FBI guys were portrayed as morons in the beginning and then as cunning at the end, all just made me wince. And to mix surprise gun violence at the end of such a "mix-up" light hearted movie, where the wise guys are all bufoons throughout, just didn't make sense.

I love mafia flicks, and I love silly movies. This movie just stank.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Sporadically amusing comedy – very light and silly
bob the moo28 October 2002
Michael Felgate is a charming, unassuming auctioneer from England who works in New York. He is dating a teacher, Gina Vitale and decides 4 months is long enough and he proposes. She turns him down because of her father so Michael goes to see Frank Vitale in the Italian quarter and gets on well with him. However he then finds that Gina's father is part of the New York mob. Things get worse when Michael's auction is unwittingly used to launder money as well as getting mixed up in the murder of the son of another mob boss.

I'm not a big Hugh Grant fan simply because I got tired very quickly of his whole bumbling, blinking Englishman routine so I gave this a pass at the pictures. However I do like mob films and am willing to give spoofs a chance, so on TV I watched this. The plot is very silly – no surprises. It goes out of it's way to put Michael in as difficult a position as possible and it goes a little too far – laundering is one thing, but murder is another, and the ending itself is too convoluted to be funny or believable.

However along the way there is some light humour to be drawn from this foppish English man suddenly finding in knee deep in Italian stereotypes. It's never hilarious but it manages to be slightly charming in a silly way. However the charm wears thin at times and the second half goes gradually downhill as it tries to get hold of a decent plot to make a climax.

Grant does all his usual stuttering stuff and is almost embarrassing at times. If you like his stuff then you'll be at home here but I want more than just this from him – About A Boy, now that's him actually trying! Caan is OK but he doesn't send himself up as well as De Niro did in Analyse This – I had hoped for more in jokes etc about Sonny. Tripplehorn is bland and Burt Young is underused. Fox is OK but only as an English twit. A game I knew I'd be playing all the way through is `spot the mob actors' in the supporting roles and it started immediately with Margolis who played mob boss Antonio in HBO's Oz. The rest of the fun was `spot the soprano' – we had Pastore, Ventimiglia, Turturro, Sirico at least as well as some who I knew their faces but couldn't place their character. For me a lot of my laughs came from having all these characters actors wheeled out for yet more stereotypes.

Overall, fans of Grant may enjoy this but for me it was too light on laughs for most of the time. I knew it was meant to be funny but I only found it amusing. It has it's moments but really they are too sporadic and the final run feels too heavy compared to what precedes it and weighs the film down big time.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
the worst film ever created on Gods green earth
pmassey-235335 September 2017
It's films like this that make me grateful that i am not a film critic. If you're a film critic you have to sit there and watch the whole film, no matter how awful it is.

I have tried to make it my practice to give films a chance but this one was so mind-numbingly awful that, after about 20 minutes my girlfriend and i just looked at each other and said 'let's go'.

The premise is that Hugh Grant (playing the part, as he does, of Hugh Grant) is supposed to be a posh English twit enrolled into the Mafia. Even the premise betrays an inane, juvenile sense of humour - it's just not at all funny.

Like crime in multi-story car parks, this film is wrong on so many levels.

Save yourself the pain and do something more enjoyable - like poking yourself in the eye with a sharp stick.
Mafia comedy with Hugh Grant
Wuchak4 September 2015
Released in 1999, "Mickey Blue Eyes" is a romcom starring Hugh Grant as, Michael, a New Yorker Brit working as an art-house auctioneer. He's in love with a woman (Jeanne Tripplehorn) who's family is Mafia. Michael thinks he can marry her and not get entangled with organized crime. Think again.

I'm not big on romcoms, but this one kept my interest throughout, even though some jokes fall flat and the story sort of fumbles in the last act. While it's only occasionally laugh-out-loud funny, it's consistently amusing. Grant is a likable protagonist and James Caan is amiable and entertaining as the mobster father. Too bad Margaret Devine didn't have a bigger part.

The film runs 102 minutes and was shot entirely in New York City.

GRADE: B or 6.5/10
Limited comedy minor laughs
SnoopyStyle27 July 2014
Michael Felgate (Hugh Grant) is a funny art auctioneer managing an auction house. He proposes to girlfriend Gina Vitale (Jeanne Tripplehorn) but she rejects him at first to keep him out of her mob family and her gangster father Frank Vitale (James Caan). They agree to get married while keeping out of the family business. However that's harder to maintain when mob boss Vito Graziosi (Burt Young) wants his son Johnny (John Ventimiglia)'s garish painting to be auctioned off by Michael for $50k. Then the FBI comes knocking on his door claiming its possible money laundering.

It starts off really funny at the Chinese restaurant. It has a great promising premise but the comedy fades. It has Hugh Grant's flailing away without a proper partner to play off of. There is a funny bit where Hugh struggles with the mobster accent. Forgedaboud it! That was hilarious. The movie needs more moments like that.