IMDb > On the 2nd Day of Christmas (1997) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

On the 2nd Day of Christmas (TV) More at IMDbPro »

A Truly Enjoyable Christmas Movie

Author: Jennie (jennie0409@comcast.net) from Delaware, USA
25 December 2002

This is absolutely one of my all-time favorite movies. Ever since it came out in 1997, "On the 2nd Day of Christmas" has aired on television every year, and I have yet to miss it. It's such a great movie. Mary Stuart Masterson and Mark Ruffalo have such a great chemistry on-screen. It's a cute storyline and a truly enjoyable film. This one's a definite must-see!

Little Corny, Little Goofy, Yet Magically Christmasy

Author: Chris Winston from Fairbanks, U.S. Territory of Alaska
10 July 2002

Without a doubt Mary Stuart Masterson is underrated. She may not be Katherine Hepburn but she sure is a pro at acting. For the first time I got the feeling that her acting is really natural, just the furthest from forced, like you can't even tell she's acting, nearly the purest form of the art. She's quite beautiful to look at, too. Throughout the whole movie I simply could not take my eyes off her (which was almost a distraction!) I've always enjoyed her work and it was great to see her in this TV movie. Unfortunately, her appearance alone could not save this. No way it deserves a grade of F and it also certainly isn't A+. I was disappointed with the goofy ex-boyfriend in the Santa suit dude. That was the most major downfall in this story. I guess Mark Ruffalo's security guard character was a tad bit on the lame side as well, plus the fact he had to guard/babysit a couple of accused felons over Christmas. Yeah, whatever. Despite those things on the negative side this was able to progress nicely but predictably. Yes, predictable but could it not be? Well, maybe, but predicable is the norm for a Christmas TV movie and often that's just fine. Even though it was set up in a manner that you could tell much of what would happen, the love story still worked. The little niece who Lauren Pratt played was excellent. She was cute as can be. And Howard Hesseman - has he ever been that endearing? Like seeing him in a whole new light!

What really blew my mind and had some teary mist in my eyes was when they all went to Santa's Castle. That made this a true Christmas movie deserving praise. Had it not been for that part (and if someone else played Ms. Masterson's character) I might never watch this again unless just by chance. The wonderful Christmasy magic at Santa's Castle made this a high priority Christmas movie that I'll keep an eye out for to watch again someday! My grade for this movie: B+ (maybe a little bit biased due to my schoolboy-like crush on Mary Stuart Masterson.)

Cute holiday film

Author: Beth from Cincinnati Ohio
5 October 2004

"The Second Day of Christmas" is a standard but enjoyable holiday film. It is cast well. Mary Stuart Masterson portrays the pickpocket aunt. She's great yet again. (She's an under-appreciated actress in my opinion.) Mark Ruffalo showed off his acting and musical talents.

Howard Hessman has a pointless role. I can't believe he took it either. Come on! He was Dr. Johnny Fever. Now he is David / Santa's Helper.

I would recommend this film but don't expect any great social or spiritual commentary.

Heartfelt Movie

Author: DWifey6917 from United States
30 November 2005

I thought that the movie was cute and heartfelt. I thought of it more than a romance. Of course, the movie was as predictable as can be. You felt bad for the little girl. The ending to the movie was pretty funny. The way that the security guard kept having all kinds of things happen to him while he was in charge of watching the woman and the little girl. I wish that they would make more movies like this. They need to come out with more holiday movies like this. Mary Stuart Masterson was excellent in the movie. Mark Ruffalo was sort of a Scrooge type in the movie, but played it very well. I wish they would bring the movie out on DVD. Two Thumbs Up!

Remember the Night

Author: mysterv from California
11 December 2013

When I first read the overview of this movie I thought that it sounded familiar. I checked my Christmas movies and it turned out that Remember the Night from 1940 written by Preston Sturges was the film. Here is IMDb's overview of that film which starred Barbara Stanwyck and Fred MacMurray "Just before Christmas, Lee Leander is caught shoplifting. It is her third offense. She is prosecuted by John Sargent. He postpones the trial because it is hard to get a conviction at Christmas time. But he feels sorry for her and arranges for her bail, and ends up taking her home to his mother for Christmas" And once again they fall in love... If you enjoyed "On the 2nd Day of Christmas" then you might enjoy this older B&W film with a similar theme.

Hated it

Author: LtlHippo from United States
20 December 2007

Just hated this movie, I'm not sure why I watched til the end, probably because my 12 year old wanted to. I thought the little girls acting was just horrible. Like when crying about a Christmas tree and then the cop wannabe STEALS one! The guy treats the pair (lady and daughter) like stealing wallets is no big deal. I didn't see any chemistry between Mark and Mary. What store manager is going to let some security guard take them home to babysit them? Just so crazy and we really like watching Christmas movies. Surviving Christmas was a good one. As for the movie again, he quits his job, doesn't have another but wants to make it as a singer, just a totally stupid movie.

attitudes

Author: from Canada
25 December 2007

I hate the attitude of the woman in the beginning of the movie. She calls the guy a jerk for sleeping on his bed by himself and making her and the kid sleep on the sofa bed- when she is the criminal here, not him, so she should deal with the consequences of her lifestyle. She also says something like "gotta make a living"- but she is a pick pocket, that is not making a living. She's just too lazy to get a real job, she wants the easy way out. Plus she trains the kid to steal as well. No sympathy for criminals- she should have been in jail. Oh and then to top it all off the idiot guy who's watching her apologizes for the things he said. He never should have, nor did he need to, apologize. Apologising just makes all her stealing OK.

When is stealing okay?

Author: shmat1 from Salt Lake City
7 December 2012

I had a hard time liking this movie. I thought the leads had good chemistry but I never trusted Trish. Even at the end of the movie I thought she would bolt now that she wasn't in trouble anymore. I was really annoyed by the scene where the little girl's annoying and constant whining convinces him to steal a tree, who does that? It almost seemed to send a message that stealing is okay. I feel like the movie didn't do enough to convince me that Trish had changed her ways. The little girl was selfish and annoying the whole time too. Also, who falls in love in two days? Cheesy! So they end up together unemployed never making their stealing wrongs right, she should have been punished for it; and people call it a cute holiday flick?

This movie is one of the great Christmas movies of all time!

Author: kara from Australia
1 December 2006

Christmas time is the best time of the year because it is the best time of year to pull out great Christmas movies like "On the 2nd Day of Christmas." I absolutely love this movie and look forward to it every year on television around Christmas time. It is a sweet adorable Christmas film that i fell in love with, the first time i saw it! It's boy meets girl plus girl's daughter, boy arrests girl, and you can find out the rest for yourself. I recommend it to anyone who loves a romantic comedy and a Christmas movie as it is both these wrapped into one. If i ever see it in a store, i would most definitely buy it. If you don't believe that it would be an excellent movie to watch, the only way to find out is to watch it yourself.

Dickens Meets Santa Claus on the Lifetime Channel!

Author: lavatch from Twin Cities, Minnesota
18 December 2005

"On the 2nd Day of Christmas" starts like the Charles Dickens' novel "Oliver Twist": a pickpocket has enlisted a small child in the profession of stealing! As appalling as this scenario sounds, the film then progressed to a rather charming and romantic Christmas story.

The film's modest success is due primarily to the chemistry between the lead performers Mark Ruffalo and Mary Stuart Masterson. Ruffalo's character Bert, who works security in a department store, is given the assignment of guarding the pickpocket Patsy (Masterson) over the Christmas holidays until she may be turned over to the police. Of course, the romantic sparks begin to fly between Bert and Patsy!

To support the principal relationship of Bert and Patsy, there could have been better character developments in the large family of Bert. Arlene Meadows turned in good work as the mother, but the other family members seemed one-dimensional. When Bert and Patsy visit his family members on Christmas, we learn that the entire clan consists of police officers! During the Christmas meal, the banter could have been more lively and the characters more colorful.

Still, there were some touching and tender moments in this film due to the two likable leads. Only one question sticks in my craw: Was it really necessary to make Patsy's character a modern-day Dickensian pickpocket? If Bert had been the department store's security guard and Patsy had been employed as a salesperson, this story would have played out just as effectively as a heartwarming holiday film.