IMDb > The Iron Giant (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Iron Giant

The Iron Giant More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 52: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

"You stay I go, No Following"

Author: danjr000 from United States
30 July 2009

An amazing film. Very inspiring there is no where to begin or end. If you haven't seen this film and have doubts because its animated or because its "kiddish" think again. The ending, the middle, the beginning. All a work of art, words cannot describe the satisfaction after seeing this movie. The animation is amazing and there are a few corny jokes here and there. If you're like me, open minded you can really appreciate this movie and how unique it is. This is the kind of movie that leaves you with good feelings. The robot had good intentions and learned over time. Excellent

All Time Classic

Author: creid-21 from United Kingdom
17 September 2008

I always read through the IMDb reviews to see if people have the same opinions as me on the films I watch but have never felt the need to add my comments until now.

A friend brought the Iron Giant for my 2 kids and advised me that it was a great watch for adults as well, so I popped it into the DVD the other night and sat down to watch.

Without giving any of the story away I will just tell you my thoughts after I had watched it. This is the best animation film I have ever seen. I loved Nemo, The Incredibles, Monsters Inc etc, but this film offered so much more in terms of emotional ties. I had tears in my eyes at the end of the film and had to hide my face from the family.

It is such a wonderful simple story and I cannot believe it did not get the commercial success it deserved.

For any people with kids or without, please give this film a chance and either rent or buy it. This film is what animation was invented for.

Possibly the greatest animated film in the history of cinema

Author: LuckBeADolphin from United States
27 February 2008

This movie is beyond amazing, It is probably the best animated film ever. It has you weeping one moment, and laughing at the antics of Hogarth and The Iron Giant the next. It is definitely on my list of top ten best movies of all time

The best scene is near the end when the Iron Giant is flying up in the sky, and he says, "Superman" It almost made me weep.

If you want to watch an animated movie not just made for kids, and with more heart than most movies out there, this is the one.

If more movies were made like this one, more people would see movies in theaters, instead of the crap that comes out of theaters lately, like all of the sequels and comebacks to the theater, like rocky and Rambo.

Duck and cover…The Iron Giant

Author: jaredmobarak from buffalo, ny, usa
4 March 2007

I finally took the time to see writer/director Brad Bird's first foray into feature length film with The Iron Giant. Hearing how great of a film it was and the success of his Pixar debut The Incredibles, I've been seeing the movie on my shelf for a while now, just waiting to finally be viewed. If you thought his last movie had heart, you need to see this one. While being based on a book, I'm not sure if it is the original source material or Bird's vision on screen, but the parallels to King Kong are unmistakable. This creature from another world instills fear into all but one person—one person who can see beneath the harsh exterior into the wealth of feelings and compassion bottled up within. Sure the beauty in a story like King Kong is the sacrifice he makes in order to keep his love safe at the unfortunate price of being a monster in the eyes of everyone else, but here we have a kid's story where happy endings aren't just a commonality but a necessity. Bird handles the subject matter nicely at the end in order to give the audience the same emotional attachment to the creature despite the fact that the general population does end up seeing him for what he truly is. Ala Superman/Spider-Man/ etc, the monster mystic soon dissolves as they begin saving human lives.

A big part of The Iron Giant's success is the gorgeous animation. This may be one of the last great 2D animated films before CGI took over the field. The cinematic touches are great, including a depth of field composed of blurred images to give the audience a focal point. You forgive that the blurring effect renders the object even flatter than the medium does originally because the effect works as it would in a live-action film. Also, the lighting effects are wonderful, especially the flashlight sequences. When our young protagonist looks out his window into the woods, and the light flare goes from bright blind spot to illuminating band of vision, it looks very realistic. The power of the light even dissipates as the flash goes farther out into the distance.

As with The Incredibles, though, the true heart of the film is in the fully fleshed out characters. There is not an overabundance of cluttered supporting roles, but instead a few main roles, which are allowed to evolve and grow an attachment from the viewers. The emotion etched into the movement and facial ticks of the Giant are spectacular at getting language across, much as would have been done in a silent film. Eli Marienthal does a great job as young Hogarth Hughes, the only one who believes that his new friend is more than a weapon. Christopher McDonald adds some nice comic relief as our only villainous role, albeit not a bad guy in the common use of the term, and Jennifer Aniston allows Mrs. Hughes to be both motherly and understanding of her son's adventures. The vocal star ends up being Harry Connick Jr., who is fantastic as Hogarth's friend and confidant when it comes to the new discovery of the Giant. I think the best compliment that a film like this can have is the fact that the vocal talent was so good I didn't recognize any as the people they are in real life. No one tried to infuse their own shtick into the part, but instead played the roles to enhance the story being told.

Along with all that, we are treated to subtle commentary on the state of the government, both with the "duck and cover" absurdity of atomic warfare and the references to gun control and war. These jabs are just that though, small moments that go along with the story, rather than take it over and hijack the film like what happened with Happy Feet this year. Weighty issues can be addressed in children films successfully, making the audience understand the problem yet not shoving it down their throats when the real issue at hand is the relationship between a child and his new otherworldly friend, giving him the confidence to stand up for himself and be a hero.

So far Bird has really impressed me as an animation director. While the teaser for Pixar's new Ratatouille left me a bit indifferent, just the attachment of this autuer's name makes me that much more excited for the movie. Hopefully Bird can keep the track record intact and also, maybe prove that in order for these films to be successful, a good story is necessary. In an age where we get around ten animated films a year, there are many that are horrible cashcows to rip off unsuspecting parents into taking the children to a cartoon. Thankfully Brad Bird shows us that animated films can still hold up against live action ones for the pieces of art they should aspire to be.

Brad Bird at his best!

Author: david-laurence from United States
27 January 2007

I, unfortunately, didn't get to see this movie until six years after it's release. What a misfortune indeed! This film truly is a masterwork of art, direction, script, and artistic vision. The voice acting is top notch here, Aniston and Harry Connick Jr provide a fabulous and perfectly toned performance. Vin Diesel, even though not saying much, delivers the voice of the Giant with heart, passion and conviction.

And I have not yet touched on the humor! There were many parts during this film that had me laughing in hysterics! Bird truly has a knack for making us laugh.

Lastly, this movie truly has a message to it that I firmly believe in. Passive to some, obvious to others, the message of The Iron Giant rings true to us all as The Giant gently says "I am not a gun".

A true tear-jerker in the best way, The Iron Giant is a film of greatness that all should experience and enjoy.

A non-Disney cartoon, I almost cried at the end.

Author: josephtheowl from United States
1 January 2007

Here was a cartoon movie with loads of potential, and even more depth, one that gave children and parents alike a real, emotional story, and on top of that, it didn't treat kids like they were stupid. It's probably Vin Diesel's greatest role (because he doesn't say much, and sometimes less is more).

The Iron Giant learns mankind's inhumanity and obsession with irrational fear. The Giant is essentially a war machine, his purpose to conquer and lay waste to entire civilizations. Not unlike Frankenstein, he's ostracized and feared merely for existing. But from friendship he learns mankind's capacity to do good even in the face of impossible danger, and ultimately, sacrifices himself out of love.

I liked how we don't get to know where exactly the robot came from, or why it's here. I think that we're supposed to draw our own conclusions when we see strange visitors from the starry sky. And because we naturally fear what we don't understand, we feel the need to destroy it. Because it makes us look at ourselves in the mirror, and question our own purpose and existence. Maybe the things that fall from the heavens are too good for this world.

personal responsibility in a fable

Author: trikmc from United States
30 November 2006

Pete Townshend of the Who must have had a good reason to work on this. Watch it and you will see.

Every boy wants to be the Hogarth, Every man, to be Dean. Every one wants to hate Kent, and all that that implies.

Whether you relate to Hogarth, his mother Annie, the beatnik Dean or the General, you will find a reason to relate to this movie. The stereotypes from the 1950s America are not so blatant as to make this movie stilted. It pulls off the era with the same smooth aplomb as Back to the Future. The staging is professional, the soundtrack excellent. The only tragedy is that they did not go on to make more with this tight production team.

Watch with your son, with your father, with your heart.

Highly Recommended

Author: bcdofboston from United States
20 March 2006

A very touching film. It is much better than anything Disney has done for quite some time. It stands up there with any of the Disney classics in my opinion. Great story, wonderful characters, the Iron Giant is amazing!SPOILERS: I had tears in my eyes when we saw that the Iron Giant had survived the bomb and only really powerful movies can do that to me! Watching the parts return to him in Iceland was a powerful scene and perfect ending. The Iron Giant was such a nice and gentle character despite his massive iron body. The relationship between he and Hogarth was perfect. I'm also pleased that the Iron Giant became a hero to the town instead of being driven away, which is what I feared would happen to him.

The movie was great!!! A sequel is in order!!!

Author: pureblood-2 from United States
5 March 2006

I really enjoyed the iron giant and wish that Mr Brad Bird would create a sequel for the iron giant!!! Maybe the creators of the iron giant would come looking for him because he hasn't reported back to them about conquering the earth! In the mean time the giant is coming back together and returns to Hogarth's place just in time to confront his creators to try to get them to back off from their pursuit of world domination. Or he could come back in time to prevent another alien race from coming and doing the same to earth. I don't know how or who will write the sequel but I sure wish someone would. I just don't think it should be let go and never heard from again!!!

Simply - The Best Traditionally Animated Movie of All Time!

Author: wbstsw from England
31 August 2003

Simply - The Best Traditionally Animated Movie of All Time!

As the title of this review states, it's the best. Toy Story 2 and Shrek are my all time #1 CGI movies, but The Iron Giant (which I thought would suck) turned out to be the biggest emotionally affecting 'cartoon' I have ever seen, its even more of a tearjerker than the ending of Monsters Inc.

Beautifully animated and expertly executed, I was in both tears and perched on the edge of my seat for the last twenty minutes.

As of writing this review the movie is ranked #235 in the top 250, I strongly agree with its placement among the best movies of all time, but strongly disagree why it's not within the top 100. I have noticed one or two people (mentioning no names) have rated the movie a 1/10 simply because they disagree with its ranking, despite admitting they enjoyed the movie. Henceforth I have voted it a 10/10. Which incidentally is my rating for the movie :)

Please just buy the DVD, for a mere £10 or less (or $12 if you are in the US) get this movie. I can't possibly imagine anybody would not like it, it's superb.

10/10 - AN ABSOLUTE CLASSIC!