IMDb > Belorusskiy vokzal (1971) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Belorusskiy vokzal More at IMDbPro »

top movie from Russia

Author: rolland-yann from Australia
25 April 2013

Moscow, the Soviet Union. Summer of 1956 - eleven years after Hitler Nazis were defeated and buried. Four red army veterans met again at another comrade's funeral. Aleksei, a writer. Viktor, a factory boss. Nikolai, an accountant. And Ivan, a mechanic. All graying and coping with post war life as best as they could. After the funeral, Nikolai invited his friends to go to his place. They experienced quite a few unexpected adventures on their way, including a bit of time in police custody...and ended up getting another comrade involved in the unplanned reunion. Reference of Belorusskiy Railway Station doesn't happen until the last minute of the film. That's where the victorious soldiers returned from war in the Spring of 1945. All actors were the age of real WWII veterans. The film was shot in 1969, so they appeared to be a bit older than their characters supposed to be. But they gave top notch performance. All four leading male actors are dead now, none of them reached the age 70. Aleksei Glazyrin who played Viktor passed away no long after the movie was released.

Good but overdone

Author: Kazimierz Wierzbicki from USA
12 May 2013

I've heard few good words about this movie. Finally I was able to sea it on Russian TV yesterday. I think the story is quite interesting - few veterans of WW II meet at the funeral of their comrade and fellow veteran. I would say there is several fine things about "Vokzal" - very good actors, nice cinematography, good music ... , but in my opinion is too nostalgic sometimes, quite overdone. The last part when they all sleep in one room, in small apartment is certainly overdone, although it gives us good idea about living conditions in USSR in early 1970s. There are several better Russian/Soviet films about WW II ("The cranes are flying", "Ballad of a soldier", etc.). The best of "Vokzal" is Bulat Okhudzava song "Nam nushna odna pobeda".