IMDb > You've Got Mail (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
You've Got Mail

You've Got Mail More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 56:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

One of the most romantic movies I've ever seen!!!

Author: Maryann from Lancaster, PA
18 December 1998

I've been starved for a great romantic film and YOU'VE GOT MAIL more than sated my appetite! I'd rank it right up there with CASABLANCA as one of the most romantic movies of all time. Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan have more chemistry than a High School Science Department! This movie was warm, funny, smart, and sexy. Tom and Meg light up the screen and Tom Hanks is the perfect hero! The movie was 2 hours long, felt like 10 minutes, and I didn't want it to be over! This is a definite keeper, and I can't wait for it to come out on video so I can watch it again and again!

This movie was so much more than I expected.

Author: Clare-5 from DeKalb, Illinois
21 December 1998

This movie was so much better than I expected, which was a simple romantic comedy with predictable "pass each other in the street" scenarios throughout. I was pleasantly surprised to find a love story that touched my heart. Kathleen's vulnerability and pride in her mother made me cry and Joe's sensitivity and devious behavior were so very sweet.

I didn't think that Tom Hanks & Meg Ryan could pull off a romance better than they did in Sleepless In Seattle but I am happy to be mistaken.

You've got something most of us like

Author: Bob Highland (bobhighland@email.com) from Sydney, Australia
21 February 2004

Romantic comedies are not everyone's cup of tea; after all, who would want to watch unrealistic stories about ordinary people 'coupling' when we are offered such wonderful everyday experiences as ten car pileups, hordes of people being slaughtered in a hail of bullets while shopping, goblins, explosions, vampires and intergalactic spaceships?

But the majority of women, and many of those men who do not see themselves as the Governor of California will surely find much to like in this charming eye-moistener.

Tales of this ilk can easily be mawkish, but this one largely avoids the trap, thanks to an intelligent script, the believability of the lead pair (as well as the supporting cast) and good pacing that leaves the denouement until the closing shot.

Unbelievable film! Such a warmth and happiness!

Author: SRVforever from Germany
30 December 2005

I'm from Germany and I love this film! It makes me happy to just watch it! When watching this film one comes to think why in real life such beauty in words and moments can't be achieved! The film does'nt get boring, even if watched for the 23rd time! It's pure magic - you could endlessly listen to the conversations, the beautiful music and enjoy the excellent acting! Other films try to come in too trendy with freaky music and sexual content(not that there's anything wrong with that) - but it's not a feelgood movie! Besides the puns and the lovely warm hearted atmosphere does the rest! To everyone who hasn't yet seen this movie - rent it, buy it - enjoy it!

"Chemistry, likeable characters make this film work"

Author: clydestuff from United States
25 March 2003

In films like You've Got Mail, where you can almost predict how it's going to turn out as soon as the opening credits appear, then it is up to the writers, director, and actors, to get us to enjoy the journey to the end credits. Nora and Delia Ephron's script succeeds because they know their characters well, and give them a can't miss plot device. Tom Hanks is believable as the head of a gigantic bookstore chain, as is Meg Ryan as the owner of a small children's bookstore shop. As the guy who is putting Meg out of business by opening a chain store close to her little shop, Tom Hanks character comes across as the arrogant person who only goal seems to open as many bookstores as he can, and make as much money as he can in doing so. When he is talking to Meg Ryan on the internet, we see another side of him, and learn that possibly, he's not the evil guy you think he is. Of course, in person, Meg hates him for what he is doing, on the internet, she falls in love with him. This is what makes the film work, as their reaction to each other in person is completely different from when they talk on line. Some people may quibble that the ending is not very believable, but face it, do you fall in love with a person because of who they are, or what you think they are? I think this question is answered quite adequately.

Great movie, great performances, great music!

Author: BChase from Texas
25 January 1999

I was pleasantly surprised to find "Mail" not to be a rehash of "Sleepless." Ryan and Hanks do work exceptionally well together! Three-quarters into the movie I was wondering how they would ever pull off a romantic and yet believable ending, but the scene at the garden was one of those perfect moments in filmmaking. It just rang true and consistent with the story.

I really enjoyed this one! (And hearing Harry Nilsson's music again, used so beautifully, was icing on the cake!)

Well, I honestly do not no what to say...

Author: Aida Nejad from Gothenburg, Sweden
24 September 2007

...except for the fact that this movie made me so happy! I'm a huge Tom Hanks fan and I collect all of his movies, and it has been quite some time since i've seen a really good and special movie of his. He's just such a wonderful actor and Meg Ryan's just... Well, she's just so great, always happy and when she's acting she always makes me laugh, cause she's just so wonderful! Let's talk about this movie: I'm gonna be honest with you, this isn't Forrest Gump or The Green Mile, but it is romantic, special, wonderful and it made me smile and wish for them to get together in the film, and in the end I was just happier then before! I think it's underrated, but everyone has a special taste, and I just loved it! I seriously recommend it to every Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan fan, you are not going to regret it! Thank you for your time.

Cookie-cutter romance, but Meg Ryan radiates with charm

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
9 July 2006

Pleasant, undemanding fluff reworks 1940's "The Shop Around the Corner" (remade initially in 1949 as the musical "In The Good Old Summertime") and reteams Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan for the second time in genial plot about rival bookstore owners. She operates a Mom & Pop bookshop, he's opening another outlet in his retail chain nearby; they lock horns over business, yet are unaware they are also each other's internet pen-pal. Slick and occasionally too-cute, but very entertaining picture with a holiday theme. Ryan is delightful, Hanks less so (he's rote, and looks tired to boot), but Greg Kinnear, Parker Posey, Jean Stapleton and Steve Zahn make up a terrific supporting cast. Engaging and lots of fun. *** from ****

9 on a scale of 10

Author: len tinman from Overland Park, Ks.
10 January 1999

It was hard not to give this movie a 10, but since I have only given out about 20 10's in all the movies I have ever seen - thousands, a 10 here would have been a little too generous.

Though, it is difficult to find fault, I suppose it is fair to say that the movie didn't always have full steam - especially early on. Still, even during those times, it was interesting. I mean, Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan. What else do you need?

Additionally, I didn't laugh very much. Not that I was required to, but this genre would, after all, be considered a romantic comedy. Despite the lack of laughs, it was as feel good as it gets.

The movie was blessed with two great actors, a creative idea, excellent writing and directing. And, the ending was one for the ages. I might have chosen to "tweak" it a little, but it was about as good as you will ever see - assuming you like romance. I do!

Cute, sugary, but ultimately worth it

Author: Altaira
13 June 1999

I'm not usually drawn to the stereotypical "cute chick flick," but while You've Got Mail unabashedly falls into this category, I still loved it. Mail is a clever story, cleverly acted by Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks. I enjoyed it more than their last joint project, Sleepless in Seattle simply because the immensely likeable pair were onscreen together so much more. Some will dub the movie predictable and sappy, but hey, I wasn't looking for deep psychology, just a friendly feel good. If that's what you're after, Mail delivers. Hanks and Ryan have the greatest onscreen chemistry I've seen, and the last half hour of the film is right on target. While the happy ending was inevitable, I was curious to discover exactly how it would occur. Sugar-coated it was, but charming and thoroughly enjoyable!!! A few bits of dialogue were a little too cute for my taste, but overall, You've Got Mail is more sweet than sugary.

Page 1 of 56:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]