IMDb > Life Sold Separately (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Life Sold Separately More at IMDbPro »

A Really Enjoyable Film

Author: (langley@mindsatplay.com) from Texas, United States
28 April 2000

I saw this film well over a year ago at The University of North Texas during a screening of independent films. The only reason I really went was because I was interested in film at the time and I heard the writer/director/actor of the film, Paul Feig, would be there to answer questions.

I didn't know anything about this film before seeing it. and I really, really enjoyed it. The film itself, in comparison to modern day films, is very simple. The entire setting takes place in one field. However, the four main characters within the field add an incredible amount to the atmosphere. Each character has a unique and creative story about why they are there. These back-stories, while far fetched, seem believable and understandable once you get to know the characters. Of course, at the end of the screening, Paul Feig was gracious enough to answer questions and talk about his film. I could tell he was passionate about his work and he seems like a really nice guy.

This movie is an excellent example of the "less is more" idea. It shows how a simple, inexpensive film can create something that is funny and emotional. I sincerely hope this film becomes widely available in the future so that more people can be entertained by it (and perhaps even educated.)

Andrew Langley